Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Taking and managing ones Blood Pressure

[Ne...]

Blood Pressure guide.

Step 1: About High Blood Pressure. Understanding Blood Pressure. What do the blood pressure numbers mean? Blood pressure is typically recorded as two numbers, written as a ratio like this:

117 slash 76 mm Hg

Read as "117 over 76 millimeters of mercury" 

Systolic

The top number, which is also the higher of the two numbers, measures the pressure in the arteries when the heart beats (when the heart muscle contracts).

Diastolic

The bottom number, which is also the lower of the two numbers, measures the pressure in the arteries between heartbeats (when the heart muscle is resting between beats and refilling with blood).

What is the AHA recommendation for healthy blood pressure?

This blood pressure chart reflects categories defined by the American Heart Association.

Blood Pressure

Category

Systolic

mm Hg (upper #)

Diastolic

mm Hg (lower #)

Normal

less than 120 and less than 80

Prehypertension

120 – 139 or 80 – 89

High Blood Pressure

(Hypertension) Stage 1

140 – 159 or 90 – 99

High Blood Pressure

(Hypertension) Stage 2

160 or higher or 100 or higher

Hypertensive Crisis

(Emergency care needed)

Higher than 180 or Higher than 110

* Your doctor should evaluate unusually low blood pressure readings.

How is high blood pressure diagnosed?

Your healthcare providers will want to get an accurate picture of your blood pressure and chart what happens over time. Starting at age 20, the American Heart Association recommends a blood pressure screening at your regular healthcare visit or once every 2 years, if your blood pressure is less than 120/80 mm Hg.

Watch a BP Test animationYour blood pressure rises with each heartbeat and falls when your heart relaxes between beats. While BP can change from minute to minute with changes in posture, exercise, stress or sleep, it should normally be less than 120/80 mm Hg (less than 120 systolic AND less than 80 diastolic) for an adult age 20 or over. About one in three U.S. adults has high blood pressure.

If your blood pressure reading is higher than normal, your doctor may take several readings over time and/or have you monitor your blood pressure at home before diagnosing you with high blood pressure.

Watch an animation of how a blood pressure test works.

A single high reading does not necessarily mean that you have high blood pressure. However, if readings stay at 140/90 mm Hg or above (systolic 140 or above OR diastolic 90 or above) over time, your doctor will likely want you to begin a treatment program. Such a program almost always includes lifestyle changes and often prescription medication for those with readings of 140/90 or higher.

If, while monitoring your blood pressure, you get a systolic reading of 180 mm Hg or higher OR a diastolic reading of 110 mm HG or higher, wait a couple of minutes and take it again. If the reading is still at or above that level, you should seek immediate emergency medical treatment for a hypertensive crisis. If you can't access the emergency medical services (EMS), have someone drive you to the hospital right away.

Even if your blood pressure is normal, you should consider making lifestyle modifications to prevent the development of HBP and improve your heart health.

Which number is more important, top (systolic) or bottom (diastolic)?

Typically more attention is given to the top number (the systolic blood pressure) as a major risk factor for cardiovascular disease for people over 50 years old. In most people, systolic blood pressure rises steadily with age due to increasing stiffness of large arteries, long-term build-up of plaque, and increased incidence of cardiac and vascular disease.

Hi Confused, I have not tried either the celery or the olive leaves as of yet.  I have been meaning to try the celery, and will do that soon.  Do you still juice the celery every day?

NSH, thank you for posting all of this wonderful information.  My spikes have calmed down for now, and I do the 4-7-8 deep breathing if I feel one coming on.  Sometimes it helps, and others  not so much.  I also try to lower my stress levels as much as possible as I know stress will bring on a spike.

There are many out there that do not realize their blood pressure is high.  When I experienced my first BP spike, I had no idea what it was.  I certainly did not link the way I was feeling to high blood pressure.  Of course, while experiencing a spike, I took my blood pressure, and it was sky high.  I know that many do not experience symptoms when their blood pressure is high, but I do.

I hope to see more posts on this thread.  I am sure there are others on the forum that experience the BP spikes.

Enjoy the day,

HUGS

Anne

We make a bunch at a time and freeze it in freezer bags and then thaw it as needed, but yes it is my constant companion. Now that our garden is in full bloom it has homegrown carrots, green peppers, cilantro, and tomatoes added to it. Delicious!

I am on my way to purchase the celery. By now everyone one this thread has figured out I am not a layman so I know he side effects of ACE inhibitors and celery which works has non of the side effects.....like edema or even pitting edema of the ankles. Thanks NOT AT ALL "CONFUSED 1" for the idea of freezing the celery. FABULOUS and I have a VITA MIX so that should work out just great.

I recommend the BELLYFAT diet as ideal weight will make a huge difference with us folk suffering from ESSENTIAL hypertension.

Bellyfat.com will take you to a PDF which I will try to add to this post. At age 75 I challenged by my iphone lol but lets see if I can find and modify this post so 1.

EAT TO LIVE  by my friend Joel Fuhrman is excellent for weight loss ...

But Belly fat is a big factor in hypertention.

I did not know about olive leave but olive are a great source of copper, a requirement of neurons in our nervous system.

I also recommend walking 30 minutes 5 out of seven days at a conversational speed. It will get your mind off your symptoms and exercise your cardio vascular system.

NSN, correct me if I am wrong, but I understand from your last post that celery juice has the same effect as ACE inhibitor or blood pressure?  I have been chained to that drug for umpteen years.  Would love to wrestle free of it because now I am sure that coughing spell I have two hours after taking it is if from the ACE inhibitor.  I have dabbled in the celery juice but have not made a commitment yet so I can not attest to it's effects.  I can gag down celery juice and know I am better off than taking those wretched pharmacueticals.

Sweet pea

Ramipril "ALTACE" is used to treat high blood pressure (hypertension). Lowering high blood pressure helps prevent strokes, heart attacks, and kidney problems. Ramipril is also used to improve survival after a heart attack. It may also be used in high risk patients (such as patients with heart disease/diabetes) to help prevent heart attacks and strokes. This medication may also be used to treat heart failure in patients who have had a recent heart attack.

Ramipril is an ACE inhibitor and works by relaxing blood vessels so that blood can flow more easily.

RAMIPRIL is commonly know as ALTACE an ACE INHIBITOR has cough is one of the common major side effects.

It was CONFUSED 1 who posted on celery and gave some excellent links. I suggest you read his commentary on the benefits of celery.Amlodipine versus ramipril in the treatment of mild to moderate hypertension: evaluation by 24-hour ambulatory blood pressure monitoring.

Norvasc {amloplodine} is a calcuium "channel blocker"........big side effect edema.

Author information

Abstract

This study was designed to compare the efficacy and tolerability of amlodipine (AML) and ramipril (RAM) administered once a day in patients affected by mild to moderate primary systemic hypertension. Twenty outpatients, 12 men and 8 women (age range 35-64 years), were enrolled. The patients received single-blind placebo for 2 weeks and thereafter in a double-blind, randomized crossover sequence AML (10 mg) and RAM (5 mg), both for 4 weeks. At the end of each period, the patients underwent 24-hour noninvasive blood pressure monitoring with readings taken every 10 min during daytime (from 07.00 to 23.00 h) and 20 min during nighttime (from 23.00 to 07.00 h). Both AML and RAM induced a highly significant (p < 0.0001) decrease in blood pressure from 162/103 +/- 7/3 to 132/82 +/- 6/6 and 135/83 +/- 6/5 mm Hg, respectively. The mean blood pressure decreased from 122 +/- 5 to 99 +/- 6 (AML; p < 0.0001) and 100 +/- 5 mm Hg (RAM; p < 0.0001). No significant differences in heart rate were noted during drug administrations. Treatment did not have to be discontinued in any patient because of adverse reactions. In conclusion, both AML and RAM reduced the blood pressure markedly, even if AML proved to be significantly more effective than RAM

• 2 weeks later...

CO Q 10...it's hard to believe that while the entire  medical profession has put millions of people on statin drugs i.e LIPITOR, CRESTOR, ZOCOR etc many physicians forget that the statins deplete the much need CO Q 10 required for proper cardiovascular function BUT....

There are many anti hypertensive medications like TOPROPL or TOPROL XL which also reduces the necessary CO Q 10 in the body. The suggested amount is 200 mg/day for people not on medications which deplete CO Q 10 but I take TOPROL 50 mg XL and I take 400 Mg's of the CO Q 10.

I suggest reading up on the benefits of CO Q 10 and have seen nothing in the literature or here about interfering with benzodiazepine tapering.

Thanks NSH for the update, did not know about toprol xl reducing CoQ10.  Took metaprolol xl for about a year after benzo withdrawl.  No longer need it but good to know.

Sweet pea

• 3 weeks later...

Hello

My bp has been spiking again like it did in the beggining and I can't take bp medication because it lowers my hr and bp too much. It's been going on for the past two weeks. It Usaully lasts about an hour and gets as high as 151/81. It is really scaring me and my doctor didn't seem to think it was a big deal just like all the other problems I told him I was having.

I am worried it's going to cause a stroke or something. I feel like I am going to die when it hAppens and have to sit or lay down until it passes. Very scary. My bp is Usaully in the 110/65 range so it's a big spike for me. I take my bp three times a day.

I also eat very healthy and low sodium diet. I am not excercising very much right now due to bieng symptomatic. I wAlk when I can .

Any advice would help tremendously .

Thanks

Remy :'(

This is what scares me because it's exactly what happens every time. It's from a medical site.

Dizziness

Although it is not caused by HBP, dizziness can be a side effect of some high blood pressure medications. Nonetheless, dizziness should not be ignored, especially if you notice a sudden onset. Sudden dizziness, loss of balance or coordination and trouble walking are all warning signs of a stroke. HBP is one of the leading risk factors for stroke.

• 5 months later...
I went back to this support group I started and saw some posts after I sopped monitoring it. I want to say that one I was and have been on anti hypertensive medication for many decades and I am in my mid seventies. After a loss of 35 lbs I did not think I had essential HYPERTENTION any more but saw spikes in withdrawal that I finally attributed to benzo w/d. Having said that I noticed with all the symptoms people discussed URGENT HYPERTENTION 160-185 systolic were rarely mentioned until I started this support group. Benzodiazapine withdrawal...causes panic, palpitation and and a myriad of things involving the heart including arrhythmia's. I guess with all the symptoms we experience taking ones BP is an exercise many can live without. There was a question of a spike some experienced for an hour and I DO NOT want to give medical advise but his physician seemed unconcerned and I agree with that . Many readings must be taken if some has concern with a good home BP machine...minimally twice a day AM and PM with 2-3 reading about 3-4 min apart. I am sorry I did not address the question of the 151 systolic reading in the second to last post. I hope I answered it now. Also there are two groups  1. people with high blood pressure and those with no history of it. Cuts put the nervous system (parasympathetic autonomic part in OVERDRIVE). That part of the AUTONOMIC nervous system contols heart rate and BP. Of course BP spikes should not be ignored and a conversation with ones physician for a plan to address this is appropriate. The drug clonidine which lowers BP quickly is not a free lunch if used daily for awhile as rebound hypertension can occur. I hope I have stayed within the parameters of no specific advice but a good overview. Certainly one would not take ones BP during a panic attack but a handle on it over time with appropriate checks is sensible.

Hi needsomehelp! I am still drinking daily celery juice, have a home monitor, and take my bp regularly. It always tests around 115/70, with no medication. Anxiety spikes can sometimes send it to 135/85, but I haven't seen anything over that in ages. It is definitely worth looking into as an adjunct therapy. Wishing good health to you! :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

I am on my way to purchase the celery. By now everyone one this thread has figured out I am not a layman so I know he side effects of ACE inhibitors and celery which works has non of the side effects.....like edema or even pitting edema of the ankles. Thanks NOT AT ALL "CONFUSED 1" for the idea of freezing the celery. FABULOUS and I have a VITA MIX so that should work out just great.

I recommend the BELLYFAT diet as ideal weight will make a huge difference with us folk suffering from ESSENTIAL hypertension.

Bellyfat.com will take you to a PDF which I will try to add to this post. At age 75 I challenged by my iphone lol but lets see if I can find and modify this post so 1.

EAT TO LIVE  by my friend Joel Fuhrman is excellent for weight loss ...

But Belly fat is a big factor in hypertention.

I did not know about olive leave but olive are a great source of copper, a requirement of neurons in our nervous system.

I also recommend walking 30 minutes 5 out of seven days at a conversational speed. It will get your mind off your symptoms and exercise your cardio vascular system.

Really appreciate this input.  I have never heard of the belly fat related to hypertension.  I am not over weight but do carry fat there.  Out of shape as a result of Benzobe and the withdrawal the last 9. Years or so.    :thumbsup:

It's quite amazing that with all the "heart, lung "symptomatology that Ashton discusses and while the is a PALPITATIONS support group very few issues of hypertension or BP spikes make it to BB. One reason could be that with all the withdrawal symptoms causing anxiety who wants to add BP to the list. Or maybe those with palpitations have received a beta blocker to take as necessary to relieve that or their antidepressant does that.

So what's OK. IF you are a senior the goal should be 140/89 as a goal. If your younger 120/80 is a goal.

So the question raised of a 135 systolic is no cause for alarm. Yes constant readings above 129 systolic puts one in the category of PRE hypertension but in withdrawal the person is in sympathetic over drive and the parasympathetic system which controls BP and pulse are extremely variable. Only after complete withdrawal and passage the following acute period while THE ACCUMULATED VALIUM diminishes can one get a perfect handle on BP.

HOWEVER, dangerous prolonged spike in into stroke territory should never be ignored. Clonidine is prescribed for people in benzodiapine/alcohol withdrawal for just those occurrence's.

Lastly "belly fat" is a great cause of hypertension and an ideal weight should be a major goal even in withdrawal.

• 1 month later...

Many thanks Needsomehelp! I too am in mid 70s and am about 7 months off Zopiclone after a steady taper. I think I have done well but feel my nervous system is still very reactive. I am sleeping much better but do have bouts of insomnia especially over life challenges....ie medical tests and friends/relatives dying.  I also find myself quite anxious at times over my children and grandchildren's health etc. yes, anxiety continues to be a problem.

My blood pressure seems to be all over the map - I too am almost afraid to take it! When I can really be relaxed it runs about 125/80 and resting HR is about 70. I too have a white coat effect but when at the allergist - it was 115/69 as I was not there re my BP!  However, my BP and HR can go sky high when I am upset....have forgotten how high but in the 170/89 range and 125 HR. Then when I calm down both will come down. Trouble is that I am slow to calm myself! I wonder if this will improve as I recover more from the withdrawal? Or what measures will help. I have not been able to discipline myself to do meditation but wonder if HeartMath would do the same thing with far less time involved. I have used it off and on for years.

I really appreciate this thread and the advice re celery juice. I too have a Vitamix. I wonder however, how all that fiber taken all of a sudden would affect my digestion and microbiome? Did you try it?

I had a look at the bellyfat.com. Very confusing and frustrating site but apparently exciting things are coming for it. I also have the book on my Kindle and will look at it again.

Many thanks for all the information. I hope others continue to contribute. Oci