Hi, I'm new here.

[He...]

Hi there. I've been taking 1mg of alprazolam XR since 2009. It was prescribed for anxiety and panic disorder, and the meds really did work for a while. However, as I got a little older and more informed and my opinions about medications such as this changed, I realized I needed to get off the benzos.

I've wanted to go off of them since 2012 but it was not until 2015 that I started to prepare myself for the withdrawal. Due to work circumstances, I decided to postpone my cessation protocol until "the right time". Thing is, the right time never came, and instead this year the benzos started wearing off.

After experiencing breakthrough anxiety in the form of panic attacks of increasing frequency, severity, and duration, I finally went to the doc and agreed to his cessation protocol. As of 4/26/16 I am taking an equivalent dose of diazepam. I am to taper by 1mg/day for a week at a time (more than a week if needed). I'm not yet 24 hours in, and I'm already having somewhat of a ride.

I have joined this forum with the hopes of acquiring support from others who are going through or have gone through this journey. I have support from friends and family, but there is something to be said for interacting with others who share the experience. Thanks for having me!

Hello Healing1111 :hug:  Welcome to BenzoBuddies!. 

We are happy that you have joined us, being with people who can completely understand and empathise is vital through this process.  You have made a good decision to taper off these meds. It’s great that you have the doctors support, and family and friends too, it will help you enormously

The best way to minimize withdrawal symptoms is a slow and careful taper.  It gives your central nervous system time to adjust to each reduction.  It is suggested to taper no more than 5-10% every 10-14 days. 

We have a great bunch of people here, our members have been through all aspects of benzodiazepine use and withdrawal, and will share their experiences with you.

I would suggest that you read the Ashton Manual, an excellent resource about these types of drugs and how to withdraw. It was written by an expert in the field.

I'll leave you a few links:

The Ashton Manual

Withdrawal Support

General Taper Plans

If you would be so kind as to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice this link will show you how to ”Create a signature”

Welcome aboard

Magrita