Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Let me introduce myself

[...]

Hello All

I was looking up info on Benzo withdrawal on-line and stumbled across this website.  I have to admit I have never posted on a chat group but I am desperate for help.  I have been on Clonazepam (klonopin I think is the generic) for of and on over a year and then steady for about 6 months now (could be longer I can't quite remember).  Dose .25mg 2x daily for PTSD and anxiety disorder.  The clonazepam has worked wonders for me, it relieved my symptoms and allowed me to get my life back.  Imagine my surprise when my psychiatrist tells me that I must now get off it.  :tickedoff:

So we went over the info and I faced the fact that yes I must give up my beloved blue pills, it is definitely time, especially when I learned how darn addictive they are (could have used that info up front doc!)

Anyway, she did not fill me in on possible withdrawal symptoms and they are driving me nuts. (got the crawlies under the skin, oooooh yeah) I am not sure what else to say, but I need help.

I am going to post this before i lose my nerve.

okies

Lori

hi lori, welcome to benzobuddies. i bet a moderator will be by soon to give you the needed information. what dose are you on now? did the doctor go over any taper scheledule? did the doctor talk about a possible valium cross over? there is a manual called the ashton manual, this is very informative written by heather ashton md. it lays out the best way to get off benzo because this is serious business. i went cold turkey and i am now paying the price. i do believe but please moderators correct me of i am wrong but .25 mg of k is equiliv to 10 mg valium. benzos must be slowly taperred and you are fortunate that you can get the needed info now. i am glad you found this forum. the moderators will give you excellent advice... listen closely.. take care  jennifer

Hi Lori,

Welcome to the BenzoBuddies forum.

The good news is that you are taking a relatively small dose. Unfortunately, even very low doses can cause problems - you are doing the right thing by quitting now. Benzos only work for limited period of time anyway, and are probably of little use in the treatment of anxiety after six months of use (we become tolerant of them).

Can you tell me your dosing history. Have you already started your taper, your present dose, etc.

We are working on some new instruction for members to titrate their benzos (making them into a liquid), as it allows you to make small controlled cuts to your dose. We hope to have these instructions up very shortly, and may be of interest to you.

I'm glad that you worked up the nerve to post - it will be easier from now on to post to the community. ;)

Welcome, Lori! I've replied to your other thread.

As Jenn mentioned, the Ashton Manual is very good reading if you get a chance. You can find it online.

I just wanted to correct one small thing: 0.25 mg Klonopin is equivalent to 5 mg Valium. I know because that's the dose at which I crossed over :) . Klonopin is 20x as strong as Valium. Potent stuff.

Therese

I also recommend the detailed information written by Dr. Heather Ashton at benzo.org. That's where I really was able to educate myself and my doctor.  You can basically print off her book for free.

Good luck & you're certainly not alone!

Maggie

[fb...]

Welcome to the community Lori!!  You will receive some great support here, and I am very glad you didnt lose your nerve about making that first post.... :thumbsup:

Vicky  :)