Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Protein Powders

[ma...]

I would be inclined to say yes.

Glutamate (the "G" in MSG - also known as glutamic acid) is an α-amino acid used as a building block for almost all proteins. When processing whey protein into shake powder, the protein is to a varying degree hydrolyzed (quasi broken down) and some of this glutamate is released/freed from its original protein macromolecule.

Some production methods tend to hydrolyze less than others. The protein powders that contain the least amount of free glutamate are marketed as "whey protein isolate" powders. Just look for powders that have this phrasing on the packaging, then I'd check the other ingredients and pick the purest one possible (the less crap that's put in it that can potentially rev you up, the better, in my personal experience; some powders even have added glutamic acid, which you'll certainly want to avoid if you have problems with MSG).

Hope this helps! :)

• Love 1

Gosh Shania, I hope things turn around for you soon.  You never know how we will react to things.

I'm so sensitive to everything  now.  I didn't want to believe what other people said about this, but it certainly is true, even after 30 months off.  I sure hope these sensitivities are not permanent.

I've been using pea protein powder organic Whole Foods in my nondairy fruit smoothies to not make them so glycemic.  Haven't noticed anything but possibly ending up like brick mortar in my G.I. -- I thought benign. Maybe it isn't? W

That's very interesting about glutamic acid and MSG-didn't know they were connected.  I've been using different pea/rice protein powders for years and they all have a lot of glutamic acid  ::).  I think I read something about glutamic acid not being so good for the GABA/glutamate inbalance in benzo tapering either.  Will have to try to find a protein powder with very little or make my own protein shake concoctions.  Thanks for bringing this up!

I'm not a huge fan of protein powders--they are just not real food, and there are issues with all of them. If you want a healthy, high protein liquid, take a raw egg, blend with coconut milk, add a bit of frozen banana or other fruit, a bit of heavy whipping cream if you can handle dairy. Or skip the fruit for a low glycemic shake and add just a bit of vanilla and sweeten with stevia.

For a good protein hit, eat a piece of real meat, preferably pastured/grass fed. Protein the way we were designed to ingest it.

• 2 weeks later...

Good advice

It was a nutritionist who suggested protein powder to help me put on weight and heal my fissure!!!

Now I have about 20 other problems on top of the fissure (Which has sealed up for now so I can poop without fear)

small blessings.

I know of a buddie on here who had setbacks from protein powder for 6 months straight.

I have to believe that the brain will always fight to find a balance.

I didnt' know that peas are high in glutamates, too.  I can't do eggs or dairy :(  Maybe I can add some quinoa to my shakes instead??? I use shakes to add calories on top of the paleo diet I'm already eating.  I have to watch fat too, because I had my gallbladder removed years ago...ugh...so much to learn ::)

Bttr posted a really good article on the other medications thread about gaba-glutamate balance.  Good to know:

http://www.holistichelp.net/blog/how-to-increase-gaba-and-balance-glutamate/

Take care

I guess I'm lucky. I've been using protein powder in my morning smoothie and had no issues. In fact I feel a lot better after my morning smoothie with protein powder.

yeah you lucky thing.

I don't know what's in my protein powder but it stressed out my cns big time..Oh well

not everyone reacts bad...try a small amount not gung ho like me...I had no choice at the time..I was driving to work after drinking it and thought...hang on I can feel old symptoms....and the rest is history!

Shania