Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

New here - hi!

[ri...]

i took my last xanax last friday nite.  i slept fine that nite but have had a problem sleeping since.  I really didn't taper so I guess I get what I deserve.  I thought it would take like 2 - 3 days and I would be done wit it.  Nope.  I had been taking them for about 3 - 4 months and it varies from 1 mg/day to maybe 8 mg/day.  I know - thats alot, but that would only like be on a weekend and not very often. How much longer till i'm all better?

Hi Rimbamboo,

Yes, it would have far better to stick at the the lowest dose you take (1mg) for a while, stabilised, then tapered off that. You are now at an awkward stage. If it had been a few days I'd say that maybe you should consider reinstating at that minimum dose, but you have probably already adjusted quite a lot, and the lack of sleep may pass relatively quickly. The problem is that we have no way of knowing of how you will progress. Many can do what you have done, and be over this fairly quickly; alas, many cannot, and can feel very unwell for weeks or even months. If things aren't too bad, then maybe things will work out for you sooner rather than later. If you were feeling desperately ill then I'd probably be more positive about that reinstatement. How do you feel? Not very well, desperately ill, or what? You are the best judge of what you should do, but if lack of sleep is your only bothersome symptom, you've probably gotten off fairly lightly. I'm  not meaning to belittle lack of sleep, it's just that symptom is probably to be expected in your position, and it could begin to sort itself out pretty soon. As I said before though, there is no way of knowing.

Hi Rimbamboo,

Yes, it would have far better to stick at the the lowest dose you take (1mg) for a while, stabilised, then tapered off that. You are now at an awkward stage. If it had been a few days I'd say that maybe you should consider reinstating at that minimum dose, but you have probably already adjusted quite a lot, and the lack of sleep may pass relatively quickly. The problem is that we have no way of knowing of how you will progress. Many can do what you have done, and be over this fairly quickly; alas, many cannot, and can feel very unwell for weeks or even months. If things aren't too bad, then maybe things will work out for you sooner rather than later. If you were feeling desperately ill then I'd probably be more positive about that reinstatement. How do you feel? Not very well, desperately ill, or what? You are the best judge of what you should do, but if lack of sleep is your only bothersome symptom, you've probably gotten off fairly lightly. I'm  not meaning to belittle lack of sleep, it's just that symptom is probably to be expected in your position, and it could begin to sort itself out pretty soon. As I said before though, there is no way of knowing.

i felt really bad 2 days ago.  i feel almost ok today.      i just wish i could sleep more.    got to sleep around 3:00 am and woke up at like 6:30 and couldn't go back to sleep.  i hate when that happens.  i think i'll be OK.  can't get any worse at this point, right?

Hi, Rimbamboo,

Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

If I read your post right, it sounds like you took your last Xanax just this past Friday, which was only five days ago. Is that right? If that's the case, maybe it would be wise to reinstate to the 1 mg dose, as Colin suggested. I say this because a person can sometimes go for a couple of weeks without having bad withdrawal symptoms, and then they hit extremely hard. If you reinstated the 1 mg for a couple of weeks and seem to be doing okay, you could then drop the 1 mg.

This is a bit of a safety net. People who stop a benzo suddenly and then get bad withdrawal symptoms a couple of weeks later sometimes find that reinstating the benzo doesn't do anything for the symptoms. It has ceased to work. So that's why a taper is recommended in coming off benzos--it's a safety net.

Unfortunately, yes, things can get a lot worse. Some people who have very severe withdrawal can't sleep at all. :sick: Let's hope things continue to go in the right direction for you.

Therese

Hi, Rimbamboo,

Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

If I read your post right, it sounds like you took your last Xanax just this past Friday, which was only five days ago. Is that right? If that's the case, maybe it would be wise to reinstate to the 1 mg dose, as Colin suggested. I say this because a person can sometimes go for a couple of weeks without having bad withdrawal symptoms, and then they hit extremely hard. If you reinstated the 1 mg for a couple of weeks and seem to be doing okay, you could then drop the 1 mg.

This is a bit of a safety net. People who stop a benzo suddenly and then get bad withdrawal symptoms a couple of weeks later sometimes find that reinstating the benzo doesn't do anything for the symptoms. It has ceased to work. So that's why a taper is recommended in coming off benzos--it's a safety net.

Unfortunately, yes, things can get a lot worse. Some people who have very severe withdrawal can't sleep at all. :sick: Let's hope things continue to go in the right direction for you.

Therese

thnks, Therese

thnks for the input.  i have no pills left and i just assume that if i took it this far i may as well go all the way anyway.    last 2 days i have felt better.  i really can't imagine things all of the sudden going back to the way they were for me.....

Rimbamboo,

NyQuil wouldn't be my first choice, simply because I've heard there's a lot of alcohol in it, and alcohol can confuse the body when it's trying to heal from benzos. I'm not sure how much alcohol is in it, so maybe it would be fine, but I can't be sure. People on this forum have taken Tylenol PM or Benadryl to sleep. If you like natural sleep aids, you can try melatonin or something called Calms Forte, which you can get at a natural foods store.

I'm glad things are going in the right direction. That is the important thing. If things continue to improve, you will probably be fine. But if things start going in the other direction, then you will maybe want to reconsider visiting your doctor for more Xanax and starting a taper from there.

Rimbamboo,

NyQuil wouldn't be my first choice, simply because I've heard there's a lot of alcohol in it, and alcohol can confuse the body when it's trying to heal from benzos. I'm not sure how much alcohol is in it, so maybe it would be fine, but I can't be sure. People on this forum have taken Tylenol PM or Benadryl to sleep. If you like natural sleep aids, you can try melatonin or something called Calms Forte, which you can get at a natural foods store.

I'm glad things are going in the right direction. That is the important thing. If things continue to improve, you will probably be fine. But if things start going in the other direction, then you will maybe want to reconsider visiting your doctor for more Xanax and starting a taper from there.

its only 10% alcohol.    thats not too bad...

Hi all!

I think i'm in the clear.  It took about a week of near hell, but I think i'm gonna be fine.  Thank you to all for your support.  Now that i have it out of my body, I guess it would be a bad move to take these again.  Or at least a bad move to take them on  a regular basis for the forseeable future.  I have learned my lesson and that is not to fuck with these drugs.  Feels good to feel normal again

I'd say that taking them one in while could be the thin end of the wedge. You could end up taking them more-and-more often, and before you know it, you are right back where you started. Benzos are poor drugs for insomnia and anxiety. They are only effective for short time, but long enough to get you hooked! >:(