Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Daily Micro-Tapering Support Group

[sh...]

FuzzyDunlop

So sorry your doc couldn't provide you a referral closer to home.  You have probably thought of this or it is not possible but do you have someone who could take you?  Is public transportation possible?  So sorry you are in this situation.  I hope a solution is found. 

Wishing you better days. 

[1a...]
My mom can sometimes take me and there is public transportation but that isn't the problem. Riding in a car (or a train) is absolute torture right now. My agoraphobia is absolutely horrible. I don't know how to begin to deal with it.

[1a...]

Vineet,

No anti depressants have ever done anything positive for me and those first few weeks of even higher anxiety would be absolutely unbearable. I also have only heard never to do a rapid taper/detox so I don't think that's really an option. I'm so stuck.

Tapering .001 g (or milligrams?) per day?? Mercy, I'd give my left n*t if I could do that!

Jeff

Note that that means .001g (1mg) of weight off of a .5mg tablet.  It does NOT mean 1mg/day dose reduction.

. I'm literally tapering .001 g's of Klonopin everyday (off of one .5 mg tablet from my total 2.5 mg dosage).

I won't bore you with the math, but that's probably about .001-.0015mg of actual med.

And I'm not trying to fault his program, just explaining to you that its not  as aggressive as you thought it was.

I cant go that fast either. I did at first but now I cut .001 g every third or fourth day. Thats like a third of a mg a month- but a mg every 3 to 4 mos is all my brain will approve of. I just hope I dont run out. I understand that frustration of not knowing!

Thank you. Yeah, I'm going to hold for a few days and see where I'm at. Not sure what else to do at this point. I asked my psychiatrist for a referral closer to home he couldn't provide one unfortunately.

Hi Fuzzy,

Hope that a hold helps some -- please keep us informed as to how it goes well or not so well!

(Although I'm wishing for you that it can possibly start to ease things......)

SS

My mom can sometimes take me and there is public transportation but that isn't the problem. Riding in a car (or a train) is absolute torture right now. My agoraphobia is absolutely horrible. I don't know how to begin to deal with it.

I remember days like that. I couldn't leave the house alone. My son drove me to my psychiatrist at that time, the one who gave me the bad news about benzos. I was shaking and a wreck in the car, but at least I wasn't driving. I sometimes walked into his office in tears. But I got the script. I now have a doctor very close to home in a smaller, quieter clinic. It really helped me a lot to stay close to home. Once I made it there and back a few times, I didn't dread it as much. Perhaps your mom could help you by making some phone calls to find someone closer to you.

Gard

[1a...]
Yeah, luckily I have a few refills and some stashed away left and if worse comes to worse I can always go back to that psychiatrist. I just hope I can stabilize a bit before then because that drive into Boston is brutal in this condition. By the time I get there I'm so full of fear and adrenaline I don't even remember the appointment itself. My PCP is just a ten minute drive and I went for a different issue a few weeks ago and even just that ride gave me one of the worst panic attacks I've ever had while laying in the backseat of my mom's car! He won't prescribe benzos either, although it would make things even a bit easier if he could since he's so close. I think he knows why I've lost so much weight and none of the tests come back positive and why my overall health has deteriorated so much but he's leery to take on the legal responsibility of prescribing to a patient who he knows is tapering off.

FuzzyDunlop

I am so sorry-I didn't realize it was the agoraphobia.  That must be awful.  I hope the hold helps you-I think it should.  I'm no expert but I'm going to be an optimist here and think the best.  I hope every day gets better and better. 

[da...]

Vineet,

No anti depressants have ever done anything positive for me and those first few weeks of even higher anxiety would be absolutely unbearable. I also have only heard never to do a rapid taper/detox so I don't think that's really an option. I'm so stuck.

i can fully understand fuzzy. i've noticed many people have a bad reaction to ssris and the reaction cannot be attributed to just startups.  i hope you are one of those who experience resolution from sxs as they get lower in their dose.

Yeah, luckily I have a few refills and some stashed away left and if worse comes to worse I can always go back to that psychiatrist. I just hope I can stabilize a bit before then because that drive into Boston is brutal in this condition. By the time I get there I'm so full of fear and adrenaline I don't even remember the appointment itself. My PCP is just a ten minute drive and I went for a different issue a few weeks ago and even just that ride gave me one of the worst panic attacks I've ever had while laying in the backseat of my mom's car! He won't prescribe benzos either, although it would make things even a bit easier if he could since he's so close. I think he knows why I've lost so much weight and none of the tests come back positive and why my overall health has deteriorated so much but he's leery to take on the legal responsibility of prescribing to a patient who he knows is tapering off.

You would think that when patients are so sick to get out of the house, there would be a compassionate doctor willing to make a house call. Back in the olden days, doctors used to see their patients at patients' homes all the time. Why not now?

[da...]

You would think that when patients are so sick to get out of the house, there would be a compassionate doctor willing to make a house call. Back in the olden days, doctors used to see their patients at patients' homes all the time. Why not now?

great question, if a bit rhetorical. what could be the reasons? insurance? the necessity of diagnostic tests before any rx which would necessitate the patient leaves his house no matter how ill? a change in culture -- dying out of the generic physician breed because of too many specialties in medicine now? too many large, corporate, multi-disciplinary hospitals that treat from the cold to cancer and demand you go to them as opposed to reverse?

[1a...]

Thank you guys for the kind words. I hope I can stabilize at least somewhat too because things are rough right now but I guess that's to be expected with all the changes I've had this year in dosage and failed crossovers and all.

I think insurance plays a huge part in it. I want to just do therapy appointments via phone or Skype but insurance won't cover it. Forget agoraphobia, you'd think with everyone's busy schedules that would be something that should be covered. But unfortunately nothing can ever be easy as we all know.

great question, if a bit rhetorical. what could be the reasons? insurance? the necessity of diagnostic tests before any rx which would necessitate the patient leaves his house no matter how ill? a change in culture -- dying out of the generic physician breed because of too many specialties in medicine now? too many large, corporate, multi-disciplinary hospitals that treat from the cold to cancer and demand you go to them as opposed to reverse?

Good question.  No problem getting physicians to pay "house calls" to your hotel room in London.  Not cheap, but not prohibitively expensive either.

1) Very inefficient.  A doc's time is not being effectively used travelling from place to place.  And there are many options to get from your home to a medical provider.

2)  Little or no access to lab and diagnostic equipment and procedures.

1) Very inefficient.  A doc's time is not being effectively used travelling from place to place.  And there are many options to get from your home to a medical provider.

2)  Little or no access to lab and diagnostic equipment and procedures.

Builder , you crack me up, I marvel at your objectivity and logic. I can hardly put to two words together most of the time & you are able to strip through it and give valid reasons.  However, I do understand the desire many have voiced for compassion and outreach from their medical/health care providers.  :)

However, I do understand the desire many have voiced for compassion and outreach from their medical/health care providers.  :)

As do I!

Sadly, one of the casualties of a more efficient system of delivering medical care is the loss of outreach and personal connection/involvement with our providers.

I feel very fortunate to have a doc who, although he understands the economics of his profession, still retains much of the more traditional approaches to practicing medicine.  He is caring and compassionate, and unfailingly spends what ever amount of time with each patient to try to be as comprehensive as possible.  His office still schedules appointment on a 20 minute basis, but if my concerns require 45 minutes or more, that's how long it will last.

However, I do understand the desire many have voiced for compassion and outreach from their medical/health care providers.  :)

As do I!

Sadly, one of the casualties of a more efficient system of delivering medical care is the loss of outreach and personal connection/involvement with our providers.

I feel very fortunate to have a doc who, although he understands the economics of his profession, still retains much of the more traditional approaches to practicing medicine.  He is caring and compassionate, and unfailingly spends what ever amount of time with each patient to try to be as comprehensive as possible.  His office still schedules appointment on a 20 minute basis, but if my concerns require 45 minutes or more, that's how long it will last.

You are fortunate and blessed in deed!  :smitten:

As do I!

I have a good doctor, too, who schedules longer appointments and stays at the office after hours to make phone calls to patients well into the evening. I would be lost without my primary doctor.

I need to give kudos to my family doctor as well.  He has been with me since the beginning of the taper.  Actually he has been my doctor for almost 30 years.  He always listens, gives me as  much time as I need and has been very accommodating to what I need for this taper.  And he always has a smile!  Couldn't ask for anything more-except that illusion magic wand to take all my symptoms away and return me to my pre-Benzo self. 

Hi guys!

Ok, I have written this a few times but am desperate for an answer.

I have been micro-tapering for over a year now.

I still have icky waves..

But can run now on my good days and drive and function mostly..

Except for horrible back pain/tightness/tension and the "benzo flu" occasionally.

Driving and running is huge for me..

So my question...I am tapering EXTREMELY slow. Does anyone else feel better and better the lower they get?

Hi lala,

I'm not sure if people feel better as they get lower, (I'll let you know if I ever get there)  but I have read over and over that people often feel better if they hold for a bit..... or hold for a long time.... Even when micro-tapering...

I'm holding myself right now as things were sneaking up on  me.

There's my two cents...

SS

Hi lala,

I'm not sure if people feel better as they get lower, (I'll let you know if I ever get there)  but I have read over and over that people often feel better if they hold for a bit..... or hold for a long time.... Even when micro-tapering...

I'm holding myself right now as things were sneaking up on  me.

There's my two cents...

SS

Thank you so much!!