Important Survey - Please Participate ×

The Dizziness Group: For those who are floating, boating, falling or flying

[La...]

[2e...]

Lapis,I had at least 15 essential oils!They sell them at the store where I grocery shop.The day I decided to lay off them for awhile to see if maybe they were making me feel worse,was I mixed one drop of lavender oil with some coconut oil and used it as a moisturizer one night.I woke up the next morning feeling very sick,extra dizzy,my head felt so foggy and tired,like a drugged overly sleepy kind of feeling.The only thing I did was use the oil the night before.

I read on a Facebook page on essential oils,that they are very concentrated and one drop is pretty potent.They said many people can become very sensitive to them,from inhaling the scent(can make it hard to breathe)absorbs into your skin if used topically,and some are actually very toxic because they are concentrated.I was making room spray with lavender or wintergreen or eucalyptus or peppermint,etc.I was using quite a few drops in each batch to make the scent nice and aromatic!Then I read where they can have side effects and cause allergic reactions for some people,so I thought I would stop them and see how I feel.

Some people don't have any problems with them.I just think maybe they were making me feel kind of icky,so stopped them.Now I just fling the windows open after cooking fish or onions! ;D

I also like the unscented Tide and unscented dryer sheets.I worked for an eye doctor a long time ago,and a man came in with really red,itchy eyes,and was feeling miserable from some weird allergy attack.I asked him if he used the scented dryer sheets to dry his bed sheets,and he looked shocked and said the new house cleaner he hired washed his clothes and he noticed she used the scented dryer sheets on them to make them smell nice.Turns out he was allergic to the perfume in the dryer sheets and while he slept the perfume from the pillow case was giving him an allergy situation that really irritated his eyes!

Such a bummer though.So many of the scented stuff smells so nice.Just gets the allergies going for some of us!

I think the scents might fall under the category of "Too Much Of A Good Thing Is A Bad Thing"! A little goes a long way.

I do think the laundry detergents and dryer sheets are universally over-perfumed and nauseating, though. I'm not sure why they do that, but they've turned me off their products for life. Blech!

Did anyone read the New York Times article about antidepressant withdrawal? It's in the News section today. Just about everyone mentioned dizziness as a symptom! Yes, me too.

Have a look:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/07/health/antidepressants-withdrawal-prozac-cymbalta.html?ref=oembed

Yes, I can confirm. I was asked to to take SSRI drug last summer while ai still was on benzos. I was stupid, trusted my doctor and took the antidepressant for 2 weeks and spent 1 week to withdrawal. My dizziness was awful. I was able to go from bed to bathroom by holding my hands in walls so I took support from the walls in order to keep standing and moving to the bathroom. AD drugs withdrawal dizziness started vanish when I was off the drug and went totally away in 1 week. Awful experience! I am glad  I am done with those drugs.

Thanks about posting the link Lapis! 😊😊😊

I'm glad you only took the SSRI a short time, Thomas! Smart man! I've taken two different ones -- one for 10 weeks and one for 1 1/2 years with a break in between. I only have regret about that time. I know it made my dizziness much worse, and it may be the reason why my dizziness has continued for so long. Benzos AND antidepressants created a terrible combination for me.

I'm glad you only took the SSRI a short time, Thomas! Smart man! I've taken two different ones -- one for 10 weeks and one for 1 1/2 years with a break in between. I only have regret about that time. I know it made my dizziness much worse, and it may be the reason why my dizziness has continued for so long. Benzos AND antidepressants created a terrible combination for me.

Thanks Lapis! 😊😊😊  Well, I do not know smart or not but I think I was lucky I felt so sick that I quicly came off as an only option.

It's good that you listened to your body, though. I was told by the second doctor that taking the antidepressant might make my dizziness go away. It started with the first antidepressant that the first doctor gave me. Instead, it made it worse. Such regret!

I'm just reading the comments for the New York Times article, and there are more mentions of dizziness. Some people think they have an inner ear infection. Others talk about walking into walls and nearly falling. Sounds like all of us here! The fact that I took both benzos and SSRIs means I've been hit by a double-whammy of dizziness-inducing medications.  :'( :'( :'(

I'm just reading the comments for the New York Times article, and there are more mentions of dizziness. Some people think they have an inner ear infection. Others talk about walking into walls and nearly falling. Sounds like all of us here! The fact that I took both benzos and SSRIs means I've been hit by a double-whammy of dizziness-inducing medications.  :'( :'( :'(

Yes, sounds like me. Well, I had this BPPV issue some time ago and don't know if it was totally independent issue or not. Still now and then I got BPPV type of feelings when I turn my head from side to other side in bed but don't know if it is light BPPV / inner ear issue or benzo driven vestibular type of other issue.  In my case this seems to be some kind of double-whammy case as well despite of the short time usage of those drugs. However my dizziness is not that bad so it is more annoying type of issue for me.

I'm glad your dizziness isn't too bad, Thomas. That's a very lucky thing. Hopefully, with time, it will completely resolve.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dizzy Buddies,

How is everyone? I just wanted to post an article that appeared on CBC's website yesterday on antidepressant withdrawal. It was written by Dr. Brian Goldman, an emergency room physician, author and the host of a CBC Radio program on medicine, called "White Coat, Black Art". Dr. Goldman also did a radio column on many of the afternoon drive-home shows on antidepressant withdrawal, and he used the recent New York Times article as a jumping off point.

In the section where he mentions some of the reasons why people have trouble withdrawing from antidepressants, dizziness and balance problems are among the top issues. Also, brain zaps, fatigue and cognitive issues make the list.

Here's the section, followed by the link to the article:

"The biggest reason why many long-term users can't quit is because they get intolerable withdrawal symptoms. These include dizziness, balance problems, fatigue, cognitive deficits, insomnia, anxiety, aches and pains and nausea."

"Some people get electric shock sensations in the head that have been dubbed brain zaps. A recent study mentioned in the Times found that half of long-term users said the withdrawal symptoms were severe — so severe nearly half said they could not bear quitting."

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/whitecoat/blog/think-twice-before-you-take-antidepressants-1.4621190 

I know that for me, antidepressants were part of the reason for my dizziness. I had a very difficult withdrawal, even though I was on a low dose of Prozac, which is supposed to be one of the easier ones to withdraw from. Obviously, it's a very individual thing. Some people will do fine; Others won't.

[2e...]

Hi Lapis!Some good info there on withdrawing from anti depressants.I have been wondering lately why some of us get more dizzy than others and why it takes so long to recover from it,and also tinnitus that seems to go with it for some of us.

I haven't been on lately,since I am in a really bad wave.I tried a couple of things to get rid of a fungus infection,and it has made me feel really awful.I stopped using anything yesterday to see if I improve.Yesterday morning I felt like I did when I first stopped benzos,and the anxiety and dizziness was so bad it kicked the health fears into high drive.

I was so scared to take a shower thinking I might fall.I did anyway,and thankfully as the morning went on,I started to feel a bit better.I am so angry about this whole process and how it has made me worry constantly about my health.I never did that to this degree before these meds gave me such bad symptoms and anxiety to the point of feeling like a hypochondriac!

I hate this so much,it is a constant struggle getting through the day being obssessed with your health.Thankfully some days are better than others.

I hope this goes away!

Well,anyway,you can see why I hesitated posting lately!I feel like doo doo!  ;D

How are you doing Lapis?Has the doctor told you your foot is doing so amazing well that you can take Tango or square dancing lessons anytime you'd like to?  ;D How fun would that be,to be able to do the Hokey Pokey and turn yourself around,and not fall on your backside from dizziness or foot pain!

It would be darn nice to have that option after 4 years of this!  :thumbsup:

Hi 2200,

I think we're in the same boat dizziness-wise and mood-wise. I'm sooooo sorry to hear that you're feeling like doo-doo (or "don't-don't") as well! It's really, really, really, really hard to deal with on a daily basis. I spent most of today crying and trying to limp around, but I just couldn't manage to function very well at all.

And yes, in answer to your question, I did see the doctor about my foot (yesterday, actually, which is why I feel so crappy today), and he said that things are improving, albeit rather slowly. From what I can tell, these fractures (i.e. foot) can take awhile to heal fully. He said that even though a callus forms around the fracture, the bone can take as long as a year to be fully healed. Sooooo, that's where I'm at. The callus is there, but there's still healing going on, and there's still a bunch of swelling in that area. I guess the good news is that there's no surgery required. Woohoo! But still, the slow healing has made me very bummed. Nope, no tango or square dancing or salsa or tap dancing or hokey-pokeying or anything fun like that just yet!

With this fungus infection you're dealing with, what did you try? If the remedies didn't work, could it be a different kind of infection than fungus? Lamisil works well for me, but I think you mentioned that you tried something else. Have you seen the doc about it?

Please take care in the shower, 2200! Do you have one of those shower chairs? Best to be safe rather than sorry. I can tell you that broken bones are no joke, so please stay upright! Remember, "Weebles wobble but they don't fall down!" And just in case you forget the jingle, here it is:

In a cruel twist of fate, that commercial features the weebles going to the marina for a little boat ride. Oh nooooooooo!  :D

[2e...]

Hi Lapis!Boy those weebles sure make me feel off balance just watching them!Being so off balance doesn't seem to have made them unhappy,they look like they are having a blast!

I think the fungus thing is gone.I was able to make it a week on the Lotrimin Ultra.It is supposed to work in a week if you use it twice a day.Seemed to work well,only I would have liked to have added a few extra days to be sure,but felt too awful,and stopped after 7 days.It's been two days since stopping,and I feel a little better.I know so many things we use absorb into our skin that we use topically,and think maybe it might have been a trigger for me.I was actually feeling pretty good before I started experimenting with topical anti fungals! :laugh:You don't hear that everyday do yah! :laugh:Yeah,medicines,give me some more Mr.Pharmacy Man and Mr.Doctor!I want to feel like I got the peedoodle kicked outa me once more,thankyou very much! :laugh:

Let this be a lesson for you folks,don't touch the anti fungals they go straight to your brain cells! :laugh:

Lapis,I am so glad your foot is healing nicely!I understand the dizziness makes it hard to get around,and sometimes the crying is all we can muster up to get through the day.I hope things get a little better for you this week.

Take care!Hello to all the fellow floaty boaters out there! :smitten:

Hi 2200,

I wish I could say I was as happy as the Weebles appear to be in the ads, but alas.....

At least I'm having a less dizzy day today, and for that, I'm very grateful. I had two very dizzy days, one of which involved going to see the orthopedic surgeon. I'm just glad to get a break and to feel a bit more human.

I'm glad your fungus infection has settled down. Good news! Did you feel that the topical medication was a trigger for how you felt overall, or do you think it could have just been the window/wave craziness that goes along with this whole thing? Personally, I don't blame events/food/meds for these patterns that I experience, because they don't seem to have any rhyme or reason. I've had stressful experiences that did not trigger anything and vice versa. For me, I believe there's just something else going on that's taking its sweet time to sort out.

If I can walk a bit better, then I can likely speed up the healing of the fracture. As the doctor stated, bones respond to stresses put on them -- just like muscles get stronger when they're worked -- so I'm going to try to stay as mobile as the dizziness will allow.

Take care, 2200, and everyone else too!

:DI hope as I taper, and eventually jump in July, that the feeling of being off balance lessens. I have TMJ as well as bad allergies and those two things definitely are not helping. I hope for better days ahead, because I am SO done with obsessing about tumors and neuromas. It is mainly the Xanax demon leaving.

Hi Joyatlast51,

I wish you well with your taper, and yes, let's hope the dizziness settles down! From your signature, it looks like you were taking a fair amount of medication, so I think it's a matter of being patient and just taking one day at a time. Congratulations on your taper thus far! I'm sending good wishes your way and hoping the rest of the taper goes well.

:)

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum, just joined a few days ago and another member told me about this group. I've been slowly tapering from Valium since December 2016. I was originally on a high dose and have taken it for 6 years. Last July I started suffering from dizziness and then the Tinnitus began :(.  It's high pitched all the time, most of the time I can block it out. I had a 10 day virus last summer which the Dr said was Viral Labrynthitis.  Something that was going around. I'm waiting for the results of a hearing test I had done at my GP surgery as I think I've lost some hearing.

The dizziness mainly occurs at night when I lay down in bed and move my head. At its worst I was holding onto the edge of the bed and the room was literally spinning. I recently tried a Pilates exercise class, but was dizzy as soon as I changed my head position when laying down and have to get up slowly. I've been offered anti-sickness medication my my GP (more pills) but declined as I'm hoping that my body will re-adjust on it's own. Having read some posts on here I'm thinking my current issues with Tinnitus and dizziness are more likely to do with Valium than having Viral Labrynthitis. It's going to be a little while yet before I'm off Valium ...

Hi NoMorePills,

Welcome! Thanks for sharing your story here. I'm glad you've got a doctor on board and have done a bit of testing. It's important to do those things so that you're not just assuming it's all down to the medication. With the viral labrynthitis, what did the doctor say about time frames? Did he say that it could carry on for awhile? Have you had any vestibular testing to rule out other things? The challenge is that there are so many things that can make people dizzy, so it's important to be checked for those things.

Having said all that, your signature says that you're still taking mirtazapine and diazepam, so both of those have dizziness as side effects. Benzodiazepines are known as "vestibular suppressants", so dizziness is one of the major side effects of taking them. I see that you were also on an SSRI, which also has dizziness as a side effect and withdrawal symptom. So, that's a lot of possible causes of dizziness right there.

And yes, tinnitus is a common effect of benzos as well. Other than dizziness, I am dealing with tinnitus, but its volume is variable. Oftentimes, I can just ignore it by focusing on other things, e.g. the radio or music or something I'm reading or watching.

So, if you haven't had the vestibular testing, you might want to check with your doctor about that and see if it makes sense for your case. Other than that, I'd say do whatever you can to stay strong and mobile. If you can walk, stretch, do light weights, ride a stationary bike or swim, it will help your body deal with the challenges.

It's a one-day-at-a-time thing, as you may well know, so try to patient and gentle with yourself. I really hope your dizziness isn't too bad and that it passes quickly. Hang in there, NoMorePills! I wish you well with your taper.

Hello All,

How is everyone doing? I'm just trying to emerge from four days of hell, so I won't say much about that. I hope everyone is hanging in there.  :)

I just wanted to post a study I came across earlier, called "Motion sickness in motion: from carsickness to cybersickness". Pretty interesting stuff, especially with regards to looking at motion on the screen (computer, phone, tablet, etc.). You'll see a reference to antihistamines, and I'd caution anyone from using them on a regular basis for dizziness. Like benzodiazepines, they're classified in the medical literature as "vestibular suppressants", and as such, they're not meant for extended use.

Abstract

"Motion sickness is not a disorder, but a normal response to a non-normal situation in which movement plays a central role, such as car travel, sailing, flying, or virtual reality.- Almost anyone can suffer from motion sickness, as long as at least one of the organs of balance functions. If neither of the organs of balance functions the individual will not suffer from carsickness, seasickness, airsickness, nor from cybersickness. - 'Cybersickness' is a form of motion sickness that is stimulated by artificial moving images such as in videogames. Because we are now exposed more often and for longer periods of time to increasingly realistic artificial images, doctors will also encounter cases of motion sickness more often. - The basis for motion sickness is the vestibular system, which can be modulated by visual-vestibular conflicts, i.e. when the movements seen by the eyes are not the same as those experienced by the organs of balance.- Antihistamines can be effective against motion sickness in everyday situations such as car travel if taken before departure, but the effectiveness of medication for motion sickness is limited."

PMID:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29600919

Hi Lapis,

Well, I haven't feel motion sickness but I have noticed sometimes my dizziness comes even in bed eyes closed without moving head. Quite strange and I do not know what is causing it. Well, it was 4 days ago I felt it the last time.

Hi Thomas,

I have that too on my bad days. I often feel dizzy in bed or when seated, and then it's worse in standing or when trying to walk. On my better days, I feel fairly stable in bed or when seated but I still feel wobbly in walking. I'm grateful for the less dizzy days, though, because when I'm sitting down, I can forget the dizziness for awhile.

I found this study interesting both for its explanation of why people get motion sickness, but also because of its focus on cybersickness. It's a new term for me, but of course, I get exactly what it refers to. I tend to stay away from watching certain types of programs. I tried to watch an animated kids' movie called "Despicable Me 2" three times, but each time, I had to stop watching due to the amount of on-screen action. It was too much for me. I'd still love to see it, but for now, I'll wait.

Hi Thomas,

I have that too on my bad days. I often feel dizzy in bed or when seated, and then it's worse in standing or when trying to walk. On my better days, I feel fairly stable in bed or when seated but I still feel wobbly in walking. I'm grateful for the less dizzy days, though, because when I'm sitting down, I can forget the dizziness for awhile.

I found this study interesting both for its explanation of why people get motion sickness, but also because of its focus on cybersickness. It's a new term for me, but of course, I get exactly what it refers to. I tend to stay away from watching certain types of programs. I tried to watch an animated kids' movie called "Despicable Me 2" three times, but each time, I had to stop watching due to the amount of on-screen action. It was too much for me. I'd still love to see it, but for now, I'll wait.

Thanks Lapis! For me it was new that dizziness can take place while stable in the bed but I learn something new every day...

Hi Thomas,

Dizziness isn't necessarily about your body being in motion. It's just what your brain perceives.

Usually it's good to learn new things, but this isn't one of the nicer things to learn, right?! :(