Important Survey - Please Participate ×

The Dizziness Group: For those who are floating, boating, falling or flying

[La...]

Wow, Thomas! Thank you so much! What a lovely thing to say! I'll cherish the thought -- and the trophy, of course. A group has everything to do with those who participate in it, so for me, it's all about that. I think there are lovely, caring people around here, and although we're all going through a very difficult time, everyone tries to support one another in a gentle, kind way.

[9b...]

Thank you Lapis2 about this very good Group you are running! You deserve a trophy!

giphy.gif

Yeah Thomas,what a great idea!I agree,Lapis deserves a beautiful gold trophy!!!  :thumbsup::smitten:

Thanks, 2200! I'm trying to find the "blushing" emoticon here, but I can't. Suffice to say, I appreciate it very much, but I really think we're all equals here. There's no group without....well, without all the people in it!  :mybuddy: :mybuddy: :mybuddy:

Hi Everyone,

Hope you're all hanging in there. I just came across a study that might be of interest to everyone. Essentially, it's saying that blocking out visual inputs might be helpful in some cases of motion sickness. In my case, sometimes I close my eyes to see if it might help me focus when I'm trying to stand up from a chair on a dizzy day. Does anyone else try that?

"Visual Occlusion Decreases Motion Sickness in a Flight Simulator"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29490570 

[9b...]

Hi Everyone,

Hope you're all hanging in there. I just came across a study that might be of interest to everyone. Essentially, it's saying that blocking out visual inputs might be helpful in some cases of motion sickness. In my case, sometimes I close my eyes to see if it might help me focus when I'm trying to stand up from a chair on a dizzy day. Does anyone else try that?

"Visual Occlusion Decreases Motion Sickness in a Flight Simulator"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29490570

Lapis,It's so funny you mentioned the eye closing thing while standing,etc.to see if the dizziness is lighter for a moment!I find myself doing that a lot!It is like my eyes do it on their own as sort of a mini survival mode to get a break from the impact of the dizziness on my vision(to keep my balance while standing or after bending forward and also walking).My eyes have really taken a hit from all this dizziness,and the two work together like a team, for sure!

I think the dizziness does ease some when my eyes are closed for a bit.I even do that to get a break while walking around outside,and it seems to help a little.It's so interesting how that is sort of an automatic response from the body to help itself!

Ah, interesting, 2200! Thanks for weighing in on that!

If they're testing people's balance, usually they get a person to stand with his/her eyes closed and see how long it takes for them to start to wobble. So, usually, vision is an important part of balance, and taking it away causes imbalance. In the case of motion sickness (as in the study), they're saying the lack of visual input might make things better. Maybe for us, it's somewhat similar.

I guess we each can test this theory a bit and see what happens. I've been closing my eyes when preparing to stand up for quite awhile. I experiment, but sometimes, it's just easier to focus on what my body is doing and trying to relax my muscles. I get very tense when I have to stand up, because I feel like I'm falling forward too quickly, and then I grip with my legs and feet. At this point, my legs and feet are sore all the time.

By the way, I had my follow-up CT scan for my foot fracture yesterday. I'm definitely worse for the wear today. I hardly slept, and I'm feeling a bit like I was hit by a truck. While CT scans are short, they're not necessarily comfortable for skinny gals like me. I really hope there's a good reason why they didn't put any cushioning on the table, because otherwise, it's just kind of cruel! Ouchiewawa! I won't get the results for a few weeks due to scheduling issues, but I'm hoping that I'll hear from the doctor if there's anything I need to know right away. In the meantime, I'm doing my exercises and trying to get the mobility back in that foot. Not particularly fun.  :(

And then there's this study:

"Vestibular rehabilitation using video gaming in adults with dizziness: a pilot study"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29512476 

In this case, the video games were helpful to those with dizziness. But for some people, video ANYTHING can worsen dizziness! Let's just say that not all dizziness is the same (which, I guess, we knew anyway!).

Check this one out too:

"Relationship between sleep quality and dizziness"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29513688

[9b...]

Okay, listen up, Class! Today's history lesson comes to us in the form of a study entitled "Dizziness and vertigo syndromes viewed with a historical eye".

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29532288 

There will be a test on it later, so pay attention!  :D

Goodmorning!Lapis,I'm sorry your CT scan was such a pain!I bet you can't wait to hear the doc say ""Bone is all healed!""I think it should be celebrated with a party and some cake and icecream!Whoo,hoo!

This morning I especially thought about you and how hard it must be for you to get around with a broken foot bone,after I hit my little toe against a wooden chair this morning right after I got up!I hit it so hard,I think I might have broken it.It is sticking out more sideways,and I can barely walk the throbbing is so bad.I don't think they do much for broken toes,so I don't think I will go to the doctor.

I wonder how one little toe piggy can hurt so bad!And so fun to walk limping in pain with the dizziness too!

Almost finished reading Don Killian's book.It really hits home on what we have been through.He so gets it,and explains it very well.I am so glad to have read his book and for his help in this miserable journey.He really is a blessing to so many of us.

I hope everybody is doing better today!Thank you for the articles to read Lapis!If you give a test on this Lapis,just to let you know,I will be absent,on the couch with my little piggy(who went wee wee wee all the way home) elevated! ;D

Oh nooooo! My dear 2200! I'm so sorry to hear about that little piggy! Have you iced it a bit? If it is, indeed, broken, you can tape it to the fourth toe, but it might be a good idea to read up about how to do that properly. There are splits available for purchase, but I'm not too sure if there are splints for little piggin' piggy toes. An anti-inflammatory might help a bit too, but it depends on how you feel about such things.

And yes, of course, I do want to know that my foot is all perfectly healed, but in the meantime, the doc has given me the "OK" to do exercises (e.g. toes, ankle in all directions, pronation/supination, etc.), so that's what I'm doing. It feels rather yucky (that's a technical term for "blech"), but it has to be done. I need my good foot back. The other foot got much worse while the left one was broken, so I'm not a happy camper these days.

I now have a copy of Don's book too, but I'm going to have to put it on hold while I dig into my new library book. I was already on a wait list for the library book when I got the copy of Don's book, so first things first. Sounds like it was an enjoyable read for you!

As far as the test goes, Young Lady, there's no squirming out of it! It's 2018, and there must be a virtual/digital/non in-person way to administer it......um, I think!  :D

Keep that foot elevated! I will send you good healing vibes from Canada and wish you a swift recovery!  :-*

[9b...]

Oh nooooo! My dear 2200! I'm so sorry to hear about that little piggy! Have you iced it a bit? If it is, indeed, broken, you can tape it to the fourth toe, but it might be a good idea to read up about how to do that properly. There are splits available for purchase, but I'm not too sure if there are splints for little piggin' piggy toes. An anti-inflammatory might help a bit too, but it depends on how you feel about such things.

And yes, of course, I do want to know that my foot is all perfectly healed, but in the meantime, the doc has given me the "OK" to do exercises (e.g. toes, ankle in all directions, pronation/supination, etc.), so that's what I'm doing. It feels rather yucky (that's a technical term for "blech"), but it has to be done. I need my good foot back. The other foot got much worse while the left one was broken, so I'm not a happy camper these days.

I now have a copy of Don's book too, but I'm going to have to put it on hold while I dig into my new library book. I was already on a wait list for the library book when I got the copy of Don's book, so first things first. Sounds like it was an enjoyable read for you!

As far as the test goes, Young Lady, there's no squirming out of it! It's 2018, and there must be a virtual/digital/non in-person way to administer it......um, I think!  :D

Keep that foot elevated! I will send you good healing vibes from Canada and wish you a swift recovery!  :-*

Lapis,since the doctor has okay'd you for exercise,I highly caution you to stay away from the barefoot leg kicks where you swing one foot out far enough to hit the chair leg,while dizzy and half asleep!They don't give you the results you would like unless you count the hopping in pain on the other foot afterwards!My cat was on the bed watching me,and though it was dark, I think she was laughing!

I'm not surprised your other foot is sore from all the extra work helping the sore foot!Maybe we need 4 legs instead of 2,for the extra spare leg in case of injury?Three legged dogs get by just fine,but not a one legged human!Okay,that was a bad joke,sorry!Been in too much toe pain to think straight today...... :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Omigosh, 2200! You're crazy in the best possible way! I promise not to do the "Crazy Barefoot Leg Kick" exercise, even though it sounds fun and exciting! I'll stick with the boring and predictable kind, like 10 repetitions each of toes down, toes up, ankle circles, foot down and foot up, etc. Verrry boring. I say no to the "hopping in pain on the other foot while the cat laughs" exercise, even though you make it sound tempting.

With regards to extra appendages, I was talking to a friend a short while ago, and she said she's going to Paris with her husband, so I asked her to buy me some feet there. I'm sure they have extra spiffy models there -- especially ones that speak French (my fave language in the whole world!).

[9b...]

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Omigosh, 2200! You're crazy in the best possible way! I promise not to do the "Crazy Barefoot Leg Kick" exercise, even though it sounds fun and exciting! I'll stick with the boring and predictable kind, like 10 repetitions each of toes down, toes up, ankle circles, foot down and foot up, etc. Verrry boring. I say no to the "hopping in pain on the other foot while the cat laughs" exercise, even though you make it sound tempting.

With regards to extra appendages, I was talking to a friend a short while ago, and she said she's going to Paris with her husband, so I asked her to buy me some feet there. I'm sure they have extra spiffy models there -- especially ones that speak French (my fave language in the whole world!).

That's funny,new feet from Paris! :laugh:They walk everywhere there,so you would have the best in shape feet you could buy!And the second language would come in very handy!Except maybe people would stare when you talk French to your new ''dogs!"How do you say ''"My dogs are barking""in French? :laugh:

Hi Lapis.  I've been following your posts with interest and admiration.  My dizziness has a component of wooziness, like I've been concussed.  Is that common to the balance problems you've been describing?

Hi klonopinaddict,

I think "wooziness" would be on the long list of possible withdrawal effects from benzos. For some, it might go along with dizziness, but probably not in all cases. I don't feel "woozy", but I do feel like I'm on a boat and wobbly. My head is clear, though. I can read and write, and I don't feel like I've been hit on the head. However, I did have that symptom earlier on in my withdrawal, so it may be like all the other symptoms -- that is, part of the whole gamut of things that come and go, eventually go away completely.

As with all of these things, though, I do hope other BBs weigh in with their experiences on this one. We're all so different, and there are so many ways that this thing can manifest itself. If you HAVE hit your head, though, you definitely need to get that checked out by a doctor. If you think it's a benzo thing, then just hang in there the best you can, breathe deeply, and try to stay calm. Take good care!

Thanks, Lapis.  The only thing I was hit on the head with was Klonopin (2.5mg/day) for 25 years, as prescribed.  The thought of returning the favor to the docs, using a baseball bat rather than a benzo, is tempting at times, although they probably should be forgiven since they undoubtedly prescribe benzos excessively out of ignorance rather than malice.

Very well stated, klonopinaddict! That's a lot of meds. Good for you to get off them! Are you tapering now? Your signature is empty, so I'm not sure if/when you came off. How far along are you now?

Lapis, I've been off for 21 months following a year-long taper.  I suspect that my age (83), as well as my 25 year exposure to the relatively high (2.5 mg/day) dosage of K, may be contributing to the persistence of my symptoms.  Alas, none of the docs I dealt with had a clue about benzo hazards.  I finally realized that many mysterious symptoms from which I suffered over the years were the consequence of  tolerance withdrawal.  Under the circumstances the likelihood that I will achieve full healing seems remote so I'm working on equanimity. 

Wow! 83 years young! Good for you, klonopinaddict! I do hope that you have at least some improvements and that life provides you a few gifts for your efforts.

I have to agree with you that most docs prescribe the meds "out of ignorance rather than malice" -- I'm sure it's the case with my doctor -- but it's still so wrong.

Keep up the good fight!

I have some of the symptoms listed for this group. I also feel like my brain is wrapped in something, which is very disturbing.

Yes, "disturbing" is a good description. I think we can all agree on that. Hang in there, Zeph!

Thanks, Lapis.  I see that you have timnitus.  I do also, but when I got it, I had not been using benzos regularly for a while, and that's what got me started on klonopin.

Are you saying that someone prescribed benzos FOR tinnitus? But they're "ototoxic" drugs, ie. they can be toxic to the ears! It's in the medical literature.

I'm sorry to hear that, Zeph. I hope it settles down for you. Mine varies. The NSAIDs I'm taking for my swollen foot are likely not helping, since tinnitus is one of the side effects. Not a fun choice -- swollen foot or louder tinnitus. For now, I'll take the tinnitus.