Important Survey - Please Participate ×

The Dizziness Group: For those who are floating, boating, falling or flying

[La...]

Are you saying that someone prescribed benzos FOR tinnitus? But they're "ototoxic" drugs, ie. they can be toxic to the ears! It's in the medical literature.

I'm sorry to hear that, Zeph. I hope it settles down for you. Mine varies. The NSAIDs I'm taking for my swollen foot are likely not helping, since tinnitus is one of the side effects. Not a fun choice -- swollen foot or louder tinnitus. For now, I'll take the tinnitus.

Hi Lapis, I asked the doctor for Klonapin, to alleviate Timnitus Distress, and he complied. 

Hope your foot heals,soon.

I finally have an appt. with vestibular rehab for what I hope is some relief from all of my dizziness/swaying/supergravity/vertigo sxs, next Tuesday! Fingers crossed!!!

I finally have an appt. with vestibular rehab for what I hope is some relief from all of my dizziness/swaying/supergravity/vertigo sxs, next Tuesday! Fingers crossed!!!

Sounds good! I'm interested in hearing results as well. T.

• 2 weeks later...
[28...]

Good morning Lapis!Any new changes with you?How's that foot of yours?Thinking about you and wondering how you are.

I am over a couple of bad waves,and a few mini ones that come and go throughout the day.I had one day where I felt so good,had energy,almost no dizziness or tinnitus,and it was so amazing!But unfortunately,all came back the next day.Bummer....... :(

But,it was encouraging!If I get one great day,there must be more around the corner!Anxiety still comes and goes,and the cortisol wake ups are still there,but sometimes lighter and sometimes it skips a night.

If the dizziness goes completely away,I think I could handle the rest much better..... :thumbsup:

Today is my husband and my 24th anniversary!Having takeout from one of our favorite restaurants for dinner,so nice to not have to cook today!

Have a good day Lapis,and fellow floaty boaters! :)

Hi 2200!

It's good to hear from you! I was thinking about you too, and I'm really glad to hear you've had some nice breaks in your wobbly world. I must congratulate you and your husband on that huge milestone! Wow! 24 years together! That's wonderful. Next year will be your "silver" anniversary, so maybe it will be party time then!

As for me, I'm still wobbling wildly. I usually get an every-other-day sort of pattern, but today is my second 8 in a row. I'm not in a great frame of mind either, because I'm not sleeping well these days. I'd say that has a lot to do with high pain levels. Yes, the fracture foot is healing, but it's doing so ever so slowly. I had a CT scan, and although I have the results on paper, I have yet to see the orthopedic surgeon. I definitely need to hear his thoughts on the findings. I'm assuming that the slow rate of healing has much to do with my dizziness and bone density.

Blech.

So, I wish I had something positive to say today, but I'm pretty bummed out. I will just say "Happy Anniversary!" once again and hope you two crazy kids are enjoying your day and your lovely meal together.  :) :) :)

I am only writing this to give people some hope.  I totally honor all of those who have been on here forever.  I am lucky I have not had to be----I found this in 2016 after I was trying to taper from clonazepam after a horrible psychiatrist had told me to take it for 8 years--long story----starting in May of 2016 I had vertigo 24/7 which would not stop.  My wonderful doctor could do nothing.  I saw a neurologist, had an MRI, did physical therapy which did not work because my vertigo was NOT the inner ear crystals which can be cured---my brain was so screwed up from being on clonazepam for way too long.

In March of last year, I was in the hospital for a crisis and I was given some ativan and librium over a two day period and the vertigo which was killing me disappeared.  When I  have tried to talk about his here, I have been accused of being a horrible person, maniac, and other not nice things.  I honor so many people who post here but frankly I think they enjoy the drama and being in the center of the universe and do not want to be better.

I have had some other totally different and not connected things which have been solved--and I am feeling great.  The fact that I was given some emergency doses of a benzo drug cured me and healed me.  A lot of people here will tell you not to do that.  Please find your own answers and talk  to your own doctors. I expect to be attacked for saying this---but please ask for the medical credentials for those that attack me.  They are foremost on this site and they would like to be doctors.  Just saying.

I am so well and feeling so good now.  I wish healing for all of you.

I am not afraid to hear from anyone--send me a message through this site.  And God be with all of you this Easter

Congratulations on your healing, MaricopaMom.  Nothing makes us happier than to hear that someone’s made it to the other side.  i remember how desperate and in a bad way you were when you joined the forum.

There are many known and unknown reasons for vertigo. It can be caused or helped by benzodiazepines, or it may be unrelated completely.  I’m glad yours went away after you were given benzodiazepines in the hospital and you are certainly free to relate your experience in this regard.

However, knowing what we know about the down regulation of the GABAa receptors over time and the need for time for those receptors to heal, a couple of days of benzodiazepine doses is not a solution that has helped anyone else that I know of on this forum.  So while you are of course welcome to post your story, it’s important to add that this isn’t something we’d recommend.  Benzodiazepines don’t heal benzodiazepine-related damage.

You seem to be one of the lucky ones to not have to experience a long healing period. As such, you really can’t grasp the nature of the healing process that many of the protracted folks are enduring.  Be grateful for that, but please don’t accuse them of wanting to be doctors or enjoying drama.  As I recall, your first few weeks of forum posts were quite dramatic.

All the best to you in the future, I’m glad you’re feeling well again.

Challis

Hi All!

Happy Easter/Passover/Spring to All!

2200, how was your anniversary celebration? Did you and your hubby dance around the kitchen or living room? I'm hoping your dizziness let up enough to allow you two to enjoy a little dance or something. In any case, I hope that your meal was nice.  :-*

I have a few studies to post, and I think I'll start with this one. It comes in under the category of "Even dogs get dizzy!" Here's the title:

"Reliability of interpretation of neurologic examination findings for the localization of vestibular dysfunction in dogs"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29553894 

Obviously, they can't ask the dogs about their symptoms, but they must be able to do a certain amount of observation of their behaviour. From the testing and examination, they seem to be able to decipher between central and peripheral vestibular issues, at least some of the time. There's no mention of pharmaceuticals, so we just can't know either way whether medications are involved -- either as causes or cures.

Here's another one: "Changes in walking in the elderly"

Now, I'm not sure what "elderly" means in this context, so it's hard to say certain things about it. However, there are some interesting points, the first one being that it emphasizes the multi-system aspect of balance and gait.

Have a look here:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29560950 

It states, "The article addresses gait disturbances in the elderly. It emphasizes that the system that maintains the balance in resting conditions and gait is based on the hierarchical principle and its function depends on the maintenance of integration between vestibular, visual and somatosensory information as well as on cognitive functions."

We've talked about that before, i.e. that balance depends on the visual, vestibular and proprioceptive information (they use "somatosensory" in this article). If one of those systems isn't working properly, then there can be an issue with balance. Also, with aging, there can be decreased cognitive function, and I've come across a number of studies that mention the importance of cognition to balance too. This is just an abstract, so there's little detail, but it's worth checking out.

[28...]

Happy Easter everyone!

Challis,thank you,thank you so much for your post! :)

Lapis,our anniversary was great,thank you for the kind thoughts!We had take out since we both don't feel like visiting the restaurant scene right now.Still not ready to paint the town pink quite yet!!No dancing either,unless one of us hits another toe on the chair leg again! :laugh:

I never realized that dogs could get dizzy too!I guess sometimes it's not easy being a dog either!I wish they could talk,I have so many questions to ask them!I think if my dog could talk she would say,"When having a tough day,don't worry,just go chase a squirrel,then go roll in the grass!" :)

How are you doing today?Any drops in the dizzy level?It must be really challenging for you to walk around with a very sore foot while so off balance.It tends to make the other foot sore trying to assist the sore foot.Do you get any callouses on your feet from trying to keep your balance in general?I never had any until having the dizziness and walking so wonky for years.I tend to lead with my right foot,so guess where the callous showed up!I hope it goes away after this has passed.I don't need anything else ugly on my feet! ;D

I was reading some things online yesterday about benzos,and there were some people including a nurse singing their praises, that used properly they can be very helpful to even elderly people with anxiety.Not one thought to the balance issues for them,and what falling could mean for them.One lady challenged what they said,and was put in her place when the person said they had cancer and the benzos kept them from going crazy with anxiety,and they would probably be on them for life.It is sad that so many people don't realize what a snake in the grass these meds are,and you could easily get into big trouble with them in so many ways.I have read where some people even think they keep them from thinking about suicide.I found the opposite to be true with many people,as they affect your chemistry in so many complex ways.

Oh well,I guess you can't say much sometimes,as some people don't want to hear it and get angry with you if you try and warn them from your own and others bad experiences with them.Just hoping we can save them from what most likely will be a painful spiral into a black hole.

Take care Lapis,and have a wonderful day! :smitten:

Hi 2200,

I'm glad you two crazy kids had a nice anniversary! I totally understand about not wanting to (or being able to?) dance right now, and of course, I would never want you to do the "I just stubbed my toe on something" dance, since that's no fun at all! You'll dance some other time, perhaps!  ;)

As far as dogs being dizzy goes, I don't know how common it is, but I do remember reading other studies about dizziness and/or dizziness testing in animals (dogs, cats, birds, monkeys). Apparently, my cousin's cat was dizzy some time ago, and she wobbled around and chased her tail. It eventually went away. I presume that, in this study, the dogs were NOT given benzos or any other dizziness-inducing meds before they were hit with the wobblies. (Well, let's hope not!) The fact that the study looked at both central and peripheral causes of dizziness means that their vestibular systems might be much like ours. Having four paws instead of two feet likely gives them an advantage, now that I think of it. They have more sources of balance and proprioception than we do.

I, too, would like to know what your dog is thinking. If he does speak up one day, do share!

I'm curious as to what you were reading. Did you happen to read the New York Times article that was recently shared in the News section? It was extraordinary not just to read the article, but then to watch the 614 comments roll in. I swear I was wired the whole time! The comments came from those who hated the meds and those who loved the meds and medical professionals who doled them out and caregivers of parents on the meds, and on it went. Clearly, benzos bring out all sorts of feelings in people and people have very, very different experiences with them.

I think the bottom line is that people are so genetically different. Another recently-posted article in the News section is from Canada's Globe and Mail, and it looks at pharmacogenomics (or pharmacogenetics). People's genetic codes determine how they metabolize medications and can mean the difference between life and death, in some cases. In most cases, they cause some people to metabolize things faster, slower or at a similar rate to most others. They can affect interactions between medications too, of course.

So, we can't generalize about benzos. Most BBs have had pretty bad experiences, but others might find them to be just fine and to not have any major drawbacks -- even in withdrawal. I think the best we can do is encourage others to seek out information before taking any medication. As long as there's informed consent, and as long as they know what MIGHT happen, then they can make proper decisions about what they want to put their bodies.

I realize that I forgot to respond to your question about calluses and things like that. No, I don't get calluses  -- well, not so far -- but I've had my fair share of stuff on my feet that requires bandaging or vitamin E oil or attention in some other way. I'm pretty fed up with it all, but I can't ignore it. I've learned the hard way that "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure".  ;)

[28...]

Lapis,The post I read was something about different health problems that happens to be in my Facebook feed.I think many are advertisements for prescription drugs,etc.They sort of pop up as you are scrolling down your new Facebook posts from friends.I always start reading the comments,as I have found many good natural home treatments from different people,and it's always interesting to see what people think about health issues and meds.I'm glad to hear you get curious and read those comments too!

One of the best sources of info on health and meds is People's Pharmacy.I signed up for their emails,and you get to read all the updated info on health stuff.The comment section after each health post is always so interesting,as people comment on how certain meds affected them,and their home remedies for things like heartburn,toe nail fungus,etc.For me,I like to read what people say about their prescription drug side effects,and how they worked things out with their doctors.Helps me to decide what might or might not be a good road to take with some health issues.Might sound boring to some people,but for me it's really interesting!Do I know how to party or what! ;D

If my dog ever does talk,I will be sure and let you know,and then I will write a book and be on Dr,Phil! :thumbsup::laugh:

2200, well it is not boring at all to follow meds and health ads and articles. I did not do it all pre benzo life but nowadays I read everything health and meds related. 😊😊😊

I agree, 2200 and Thomas. I think we need to be informed about such things. We've all learned a terrible lesson here by not knowing enough about a medication before we took it. I'm guessing that few of us are anxious to repeat the error. Obviously, we can't know everything about everything, but a certain amount of skepticism and curiosity is a very good thing.  ;)

[28...]

2200, well it is not boring at all to follow meds and health ads and articles. I did not do it all pre benzo life but nowadays I read everything health and meds related. 😊😊😊

Thanks Thomas,and I agree with you!Sometimes I read so much med stuff online,that by the time I get off the computer for the day, my eyes are trashed for the evening!  ;D

Hi All!

Just coming back  to say hello during what has been a really rocky few days (two 8s and a 9 on my personal dizziness scale) and to post a couple more studies that I came across the other day. One is on vestibular migraine, which seems to come up around here from time to time, and the other one compares the Dizziness Handicap Inventory with the outcome of testing. I believe the DHI is a is a self-report of how one's dizziness affects that person's daily life.

I hope everyone else is hanging in there and, hopefully, having less rocky days than me. I'm guessing that my 3-hour-only nights of sleep (much of the last six weeks) isn't helping. Unfortunately, there's a bit of a catch-22 situation, with pain and stress causing more insomnia, and more insomnia causing more pain and stress. Fatigue only adds to the difficulty in staying upright on such dizzy days. Suffice to say, I'm gripping pretty hard on the handles of the walker today.  ;)

Take care, All!

"Clinical characteristics and treatment choice in vestibular migraine"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29550250 

"The Dizziness Handicap Inventory does not correlate with vestibular function tests: a prospective study"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29557501 

Here's another study that might be interesting -- in particular, to the women in the group. It's a study about Meniere's disease, which includes dizziness, tinnitus and some hearing loss. What caught my attention is that they note an increase in the women's symptoms when they're premenstrual. Maybe some women around here might also have noticed changes in their symptoms depending on where they are in their cycles.

Have a look:

"Effects of combined oral contraception containing drospirenone on premenstrual exacerbation of Meniere's disease: Preliminary study"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29573626 

Hello!

How's everyone doing? For some reason, I'm having a very dizzy week -- two 8s, a 9, a 7, and another 8 today. I'm wondering if it has something to with what was found in the study I posted above. For women around here, have you noticed any connections to your cycle? It wouldn't be surprising, since hormones affect us in such a wide variety of ways. I was talking to a friend yesterday who mentioned that her sleep was very much affected as she went through hormonal changes.

I'm partway through a book by Don Killian, a BB member who has been living a very happy and full life for some time now. Don was on a number of benzos, including alprazolam and clonazepam, as well as a number of SSRIs and SNRIs. He also drank alcohol for years. From both his book and his videos, I  know that dizziness was one of Don's major symptoms too. Knowing that he is well now helps me face these dizzy days with a bit more hope in my heart.

Take care, Everyone! :)

[28...]

Hello!

How's everyone doing? For some reason, I'm having a very dizzy week -- two 8s, a 9, a 7, and another 8 today. I'm wondering if it has something to with what was found in the study I posted above. For women around here, have you noticed any connections to your cycle? It wouldn't be surprising, since hormones affect us in such a wide variety of ways. I was talking to a friend yesterday who mentioned that her sleep was very much affected as she went through hormonal changes.

I'm partway through a book by Don Killian, a BB member who has been living a very happy and full life for some time now. Don was on a number of benzos, including alprazolam and clonazepam, as well as a number of SSRIs and SNRIs. He also drank alcohol for years. From both his book and his videos, I  know that dizziness was one of Don's major symptoms too. Knowing that he is well now helps me face these dizzy days with a bit more hope in my heart.

Take care, Everyone! :)

Hi Lapis!I have looked up so much info on dizziness since this all started.I read where menopause can cause dizziness.It's on the very long list of menopause symptoms!Something to do with the shifting hormones during that time.Some women in some of the comment sections mentioned really bad dizziness at times.I think I read this on a menopause site I googled,and read the ladies comments to see what they had to say.So,it sounds like dizziness is also a menopause symptom!Aren't we girls lucky!

I am extra dizzy today too.I noticed while cleaning with a clorox cleaning spray this morning,it made me feel very light headed even with the window opened.I never had this before all the withdrawal dizziness started.I seem to be so much more sensitive to chemicals now.

I have been making my own essential oil room sprays for awhile now,thinking they would be safer than the chemical ones you buy at the store.A few weeks ago I  started to wonder if maybe they could be bothering me with my allergies,etc.I stopped them all together,and I think I am a little better with the brain fog,clogged ears and the dizziness is a little better too.

I think I am more sensitive to chemicals than I used to be,even the natural 100% essential oils which are pretty concentrated.

I'm so sorry your dizziness is so bad right now Lapis!How do we do this everyday!I read Don's book,and it gives me hope our dizziness will leave like his did.I wonder why some people get over it quicker than others?Another benzo mystery to ponder! :P

Hi 2200,

So, isn't that just FAB that we get the fun of dealing with hormones on top of everything else?! I mean, who the heck is in charge here??!!!  ;D

Right....um, perhaps no one, at the moment. Darn it! I was going to register a complaint.

:D

Which essential oils are you using, 2200? The only one that I have right now is lavender, and I just open the top and take a little sniff of it from time to time. I read that it can be calming. I do find it quite lovely, and it just takes a small bit. I have a beautiful ceramic essential oil diffuser, but I never use it. I don't trust myself with matches or something as beautiful and fragile as that. I'd hate to break it.

We don't use a lot of toxic products around here. Baking soda and vinegar come in pretty handy for certain cleaning tasks. And we use the non-perfumed Tide detergent. I hate those overly-smelly laundry detergents and dryer sheets! Ick.

As far as the question why some of us have worse symptoms than others, I can only say, "It's genetic!" I'm sure there are other factors too, like which benzo(s), how long, what dose, what other meds concurrently, general health, kidney and liver functions, etc. One day, it will all be sorted out, but by then, we'll be back to our regular lives and enjoying such dilemmas as, "Where will I ride my bike today?" or "How many hours will I walk the dog today?" or "Where will I go dancing tonight?"

:) :) :)