Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

The Dizziness Group: For those who are floating, boating, falling or flying

[La...]

[d7...]

Hello my dear 2200!

I just want to reach out and hug you! Multiple hugs are on the way from Canada at this very minute.  :hug:

And yes, in answer to your question, sometimes crying is all I can do. I feel many of the same feelings as you, i.e. wanting to just be the person I was before where I could go out and do things without it making me totally wired. Something unexpected and stressful happened this morning (on top of the dizziness and pain), and I just sat there trembling and crying with my chest tightening.

Anyway, I must say that I like the cookies-for-help idea! Perfect. It's how societies work. We can't know how to do everything, but we might know people who have the skills to help us do the things we can. And then we can make them chocolate chip cookies to thank them.  ;D

2200, do you think your sister has a sense of your discomfort when you're all sitting together like that and there's a stressful discussion underway? I feel like I'm a bad actress and people can probably see the stress and fear written all over my face.

Please take care, breathe deeply and say this out loud three times (with a Yosemite Sam voice): "What in tarnation?!"  :)  :-*

Lapis,Thankyou for the hugs!

I hope the news you got that was upsetting,isn't too hard to fix?

I sure wish my sister noticed I was turning green!Well,maybe not green,but white as a ghost?I tried to explain the benzo stuff to her,but I could tell,she doesn't quite get it.I guess in all fairness,who would unless they were living this for months like we do.She did make me laugh alot,and her husband is funny too,so lets say it was a mixed bag of anxiety,icky medical stories,and some good laughs!

Shook,I should have noticed your cookie monster Avatar and not tempted you with home made chocolate chip cookies!

It's amazing what you can talk people into with the promise of home made cookies! :laugh:

Your homemade cookies would be wasted on me, 2200. Did you see the video? I would just break them up in a frenzy and the pieces would fall to the floor.  ;)

[d7...]

Your homemade cookies would be wasted on me, 2200. Did you see the video? I would just break them up in a frenzy and the pieces would fall to the floor.  ;)

I noticed that Shook!All those pieces flying around,and never getting eaten by the cookie monster!

My dog,would love to sit by his chair at the table! :laugh:

Ah, you see? Now there's a perfect example of how society works. You've got 2200 making cookies for her pal, who will help her set up her TV and who then might eat some cookies and might spill some cookies, and then you've got 2200's dog who will be happy to eat the cookie crumbs! Then later, 2200 and her dog can watch the new TV together. It all works out perfectly well, doesn't it?  ;D

[d7...]

Ah, you see? Now there's a perfect example of how society works. You've got 2200 making cookies for her pal, who will help her set up her TV and who then might eat some cookies and might spill some cookies, and then you've got 2200's dog who will be happy to eat the cookie crumbs! Then later, 2200 and her dog can watch the new TV together. It all works out perfectly well, doesn't it?  ;D

Yes Lapis,it sure goes to show you life is just way better with cookies and cookie monsters of all kinds!  :laugh:

Hi all, you all have such a tight knit group here now and its nice you all can make each other laugh /smile

I thought I would jump on and give yet ANOTHER update

My neurologist wanted me to try Amitriptyline (for the supposed Vestibular Migraines)

well I took it for a week (last week) and gave up on it on day 7...all it did was make me a bit sleepy, did not do anything for all the rest of my symptoms

my tingling/numbness in feet and a bit in hands has gotten worse???

My balance issues wax and wane daily but NEVER are gone

Someone asked me if I thought about just jumping off the last 1.5mgs of V and see what would happen since I am in complete and total MISERY now as it is

SO scared...I can't imagine it being worse but I know it could

then I come here and read that some of you after years are still bad and I just want to CRY (all the more)

2200...3 yrs???  I can't do it, I will cave and go back on meds...I am so close to doing that now

I want my life back...my family wants my life back

I am now under more stress taking care of dementia mother (she does not live with me but I am at her place numerous xs a week...She just got out of hospital on Monday almost had a stroke and had emergency surgery on carotid artery

so as you can imagine that just makes us all the worse

so I come here looking for support again...all I do is Cry and whine

anxiety has been bad this week too

1.5mgs Valium....I have not been able to cut from it since April!!!!!  My GP said not to and wait it out until I felt a bit better, yeah like that's ever going to happen

Long Holders on here say HOLD for as long as it takes!!!???  I have no idea what to do

My husband even took me to a chiropractor this week who is doing "Neurological Integration System"  Google "NeuroLink"  It seems like a lot of HOOEY to me but I am desperate for anything to help

all she did was a lot of tapping and swiping all over my body.. I am going back in 3 weeks  she said that if it was going to help I would know after 3-4 visits. Must admit I have no faith in anything anymore

ok sorry I rambled so long. Just SOOOOOO done with all of this

Take care and will check back for any replies

Hi laineyk,

It's good to see you here! I was wondering where you'd gone and how you were doing. How did things go with the neurologist? Did he do any sort of testing, and if so, did you learn anything new about your dizziness? I must say, I'm glad to see that your balance issues "wax and wane", because I think they were pretty stuck for awhile there. Enjoy those moments where it has waned!

I don't know much about the logic of holding at a certain level for a long period of time, so I can't say too much on that. In my case, I understood that the medications suppress the vestibular system and make the brain sleepy, so I didn't want to stay on them any longer than I had to. I was happy to get off them. Continuing to take them won't likely make the dizziness go away. It's just not logical based on an understanding of they work in the brain. Some people can stay on these meds for long periods of time and, presumably, not have too many problems, but we don't have the stats on that. Benzodiazepines can contribute to cognitive decline and cause falls, fractures and motor vehicle accidents -- especially in seniors. That's well-documented. It's not a great looking list to recommend its long-term use.

Please remember that we're all different, laineyk, and that what is happening with me or 2200 or anyone else only reflects our individual situations. There's no way of knowing whether your dizziness will be gone quickly or slowly once you get off the Valium, so it's really best not to compare yourself with others. Also, don't forget those who have gotten better and moved on -- including Stephanie (who also has migraines), SJDADL and Sofa -- not to mention Don Killian, Baylissa Frederick and numerous others in the Success Stories section.

I'm really sorry to hear about your mom's situation, though. That has to be pretty stressful. No doubt the stress isn't helping.  :(

I'm not sure jumping from 1.5 mg of Valium is a good idea, but if you can take the next few steps, you'll have reached the big goal. You're so, so close, and you've come so far. It would be a huge shame if you turned back now -- especially when there's no guarantee that staying on the benzo or updosing would help. On the contrary, it could make it worse. Read, think, reflect. Check the Ashton Manual again. Or read Baylissa's books or check out her website. Read more Success Stories.

You can do it, laineyk! I think you're stronger than you believe.  :thumbsup:

thank you Lapis...My biggest need right now is to be calm...my anxiety has ramped up recently and nothing I do calms it down

I don't know which is worse the off balanced or the anxiety

but I need relief or I will completely lose my mind now...I am holding on by a VERY this thread

Hi Dizzy Buds,

I want to give you all hope.  This really does leave.  We all heal.  I never EVER thought it would, but it's going.

My days are so mild.  70 symptoms are gone.  The two buggers I got the day I jumped are still hanging around, but much softer. 

This all leaves, my dizzy buddies.  Every last stinking, soul-sucking physical and mental symptom disappears one by one.  I know it now.  You know how awful my dizziness was, how I cried out to God in miserable wails and outbursts, begging Him to take me home.  You also know the dizzy drunk cement head left me quite awhile ago.  Other hitchhikers thumbed a ride and took a seat in my car, but the obnoxious dizziness left.  None of these symptoms are permanent passengers.  Not one of them.

We all heal 100%.  Benzodiazepines do not cause permanent damage.  Does it take a long time for our brains to reset and rebalance.  You betcha.  Too long.  Does it feel unworldly and alien and scary to heal from the damage we incurred?  Absolutely!  Does it eventually rebalance and "kick in" again back to normal?  You damn right it does!  It's happening to me right now.

I don't care what you read.  I don't care what you're told.  Our bodies are like self-cleaning ovens.  Believe in your body's innate ability to heal itself.  Believe in your God who didn't put you on this earth without a survival suit.

The tunnel I've been walking for 31 months in the pitch black, with all its twists, bumps, jagged rocks and slippery boulders is well lit now.  I can see my surroundings.  It's not scary anymore.  If you are still groping through the parts of the tunnel with no visible way out, just tug on the rope I've tied around your waist.  It's attached to me up ahead and I can see the way out right in front of me.  I won't leave you behind.

I believe now.  If you can't believe yet, just trust.  Trust God, trust your body and trust the people ahead of you who aren't in the darkness anymore.  It happens for all of us.  Please believe it.

Sofa

hi sofa, i am not dizzy, but i came across your post and it really encouraged me, so i just wanted to say thank you. you write so beautifully and with such conviction. i am so glad you are seeing light at the end of the tunnel. some days i am too (depends on when you ask me)

Laineyk, do you have any access to counselling or support of any kind? I'm thinking of someone outside of your family or friends, but not someone who supports the use of medication. Sometimes an outside source of support can do wonders because they bring a different perspective and some new energy to the situation.

What kinds of things usually help you to feel calm? Music, deep breathing, meditation, reading, religion, art, exercise, nature, etc.? What if you set your mind to doing whatever it is that usually works for you every day -- even for a short time? For me, music is helpful. Or reading. Or distraction of some other kind.

Where I am, there's a free phone service if a person is in distress and wants to talk with someone (not a 911 kind of emergency, though). Do you have access to something like that? Whenever I've called, I've found the people to be kind, and even if they're not familiar with the specifics of withdrawal, it can be helpful to talk to another person for a little while. Sometimes they know about services that might be helpful and can direct you accordingly.

Please hang in there, laineyk! You can do this!

[d7...]

Lainey,I know I was venting about reaching 3 years off and still having some bad days,and it might sound very scary to someone who is still tapering.But,you have to remember,many of the symptoms I had in with- drawal are gone,and the ones left,like the dizziness and anxiety,are in more of a good wave, bad wave pattern now.

There were a few times I started to feel really good,and thought I was almost done,then get a bad wave and it gets challenging again for awhile.

But I don't feel near as bad as I used to like when I was at 2 years off.

I sleep better.I do get the 3:00 AM cortisol wake up surge,and morning anxiety is the worst,but it doesn't compare to the all day anxiety I had EVERY DAY at the beginning.

It just slowly and  gradually improves,and I vent a bit when it amps up into a bad wave,but really the good waves do show back up for me and are now lasting longer.

Don't let the 3,4,5 year stories scare you.If anything,I would rather know what really is for some people, the going pattern of healing,because it makes me realize this is normal,and I am not going crazy,or have some undiagnosed illness and it is just withdrawal stuff.I think this has brought out the worst health fears in all of us,and we spook easily.

Remember,once off these meds,it's all up hill from here,and healing is happening every day.It just takes it's own sweet time,and we are just hostages along for the ride! :laugh:Not fun,but 3 years pass,and I am so glad I am healing a long the way. :)

Lainey,I know I was venting about reaching 3 years off and still having some bad days,and it might sound very scary to someone who is still tapering.But,you have to remember,many of the symptoms I had in with- drawal are gone,and the ones left,like the dizziness and anxiety,are in more of a good wave, bad wave pattern now.

There were a few times I started to feel really good,and thought I was almost done,then get a bad wave and it gets challenging again for awhile.

I sleep better.I do get the 3:00 AM cortisol wake up surge,and morning anxiety is the worst,but it doesn't compare to the all day anxiety I had EVERY DAY at the beginning.

It just slowly and  gradually improves,and I vent a bit when it amps up into a bad wave,but really the good waves do show back up for me and are now lasting longer.

Don't let the 3,4,5 year stories scare you.If anything,I would rather know what really is for some people, the going pattern of healing,because it makes me realize this is normal,and I am not going crazy,or have some undiagnosed illness and it is just withdrawal stuff.I think this has brought out the worst health fears in all of us,and we spook easily.

Remember,once off these meds,it's all up hill from here,and healing is happening every day.It just takes it's own sweet time,and we are just hostages along for the ride! :laugh:Not fun,but 3 years pass,and I am so glad I am healing a long the way. :)

Well put! Really smurfy!

[d7...]

Well put! Really smurfy!

Smurfy! :laugh: :laugh:

thank you SOOOO much 2200...I so needed to read that

as sick as I am this morning I want to believe the Lord was guiding me to try to cut...

so I only took .5mgs this morning (instead of 1mg)  I will take the other half if I get out of control but I figure the 1mg does not make me feel any better in the morning whatsoever

My mother is going in for 2nd surgery on Tuesday and the stress of all this is really taking its toll but I am going to try my best to Trust in Jesus and lean into Him and not into Valium

we will see how long this lasts :'(

Hi My Dizzy Buds,

Below is a post quoting Laura Delano made by Niners on the 18-30 month thread that I thought was brilliant.  I hope you get a huge ray of hope from her words.

"I saw this post made my Laura Delano... I LOVE it!

'No matter what people may be telling you-- be they doctors or therapists, well-meaning family members or friends-- the pain you are in as you fight to free yourself from psychiatric drugs is NOT "in your head".  It is NOT an "underlying condition".  It is NOT "your psychology".  It is NOT "weakness".  It is NOT "anxiety disorder" or "depression" or "bipolar" or "borderline" or "schizophrenia".  Your beautiful and powerful human body is fighting its damnedest to heal from psychopharmaceutical trauma.  It is very real, and very physiological in nature.  No one healing from a serious closed head injury caused by an accident would be told, "Oh, those emotional and mental and cognitive and physical problems you're having since the accident?  Well, they're just in your head... If you were just psychologically stronger, you wouldn't be having them.  Just toughen up and they'll go away." 

To that, I have this to say: FUCK THAT.  Ignore those harmful words.  Your instincts... Listen to them.  They're telling you, "This hell you're in isn't you.  It is the byproduct of a serious trauma that's happened to you."  Because you are not crazy, weak, pathetic, broken, defective, or mentally or emotionally "sick" (you may, however, be physically sick, as the direct result of these drugs, and that's completely to be expected.)  You are injured.  You are traumatized.  You are surviving something that no human being should have to survive.  And the tragic reality is that to 99.99% of the world around us-- even, in some cases, to those who claim to have critical perspectives on all things "mental health"-- the physiological reality of psychiatric drug withdrawal is not only invisible, but entirely denied.

"It's in your head..."

I'm shaking my head right now and sitting with the outrage that bubbles hot in me as I think about how many people out there in withdrawal are told this every day by people they trust.  I'm letting this outrage wash over me and flow through me and come down my fingers and out onto this page. 

You ARE surviving this very real, very physiological trauma called psychiatric drug withdrawal.  You WILL get through this and back to yourself.  Hang in there, ignore the voices of those still in the dark, reach out to those who "get it", and keep listening to those instincts deep inside of you.  Practice "being with" the hell because you can trust that it will resolve in time.  Keep hanging onto faith in your body as it heals... Because it is, already, and you will look back in the future to this agonizing chapter in your life and say, "Holy shit, I can't believe what I went through... Life is so different now."  It will be. I promise.'"

[d7...]

Hi My Dizzy Buds,

Below is a post quoting Laura Delano made by Niners on the 18-30 month thread that I thought was brilliant.  I hope you get a huge ray of hope from her words.

"I saw this post made my Laura Delano... I LOVE it!

'No matter what people may be telling you-- be they doctors or therapists, well-meaning family members or friends-- the pain you are in as you fight to free yourself from psychiatric drugs is NOT "in your head".  It is NOT an "underlying condition".  It is NOT "your psychology".  It is NOT "weakness".  It is NOT "anxiety disorder" or "depression" or "bipolar" or "borderline" or "schizophrenia".  Your beautiful and powerful human body is fighting its damnedest to heal from psychopharmaceutical trauma.  It is very real, and very physiological in nature.  No one healing from a serious closed head injury caused by an accident would be told, "Oh, those emotional and mental and cognitive and physical problems you're having since the accident?  Well, they're just in your head... If you were just psychologically stronger, you wouldn't be having them.  Just toughen up and they'll go away." 

To that, I have this to say: FUCK THAT.  Ignore those harmful words.  Your instincts... Listen to them.  They're telling you, "This hell you're in isn't you.  It is the byproduct of a serious trauma that's happened to you."  Because you are not crazy, weak, pathetic, broken, defective, or mentally or emotionally "sick" (you may, however, be physically sick, as the direct result of these drugs, and that's completely to be expected.)  You are injured.  You are traumatized.  You are surviving something that no human being should have to survive.  And the tragic reality is that to 99.99% of the world around us-- even, in some cases, to those who claim to have critical perspectives on all things "mental health"-- the physiological reality of psychiatric drug withdrawal is not only invisible, but entirely denied.

"It's in your head..."

I'm shaking my head right now and sitting with the outrage that bubbles hot in me as I think about how many people out there in withdrawal are told this every day by people they trust.  I'm letting this outrage wash over me and flow through me and come down my fingers and out onto this page. 

You ARE surviving this very real, very physiological trauma called psychiatric drug withdrawal.  You WILL get through this and back to yourself.  Hang in there, ignore the voices of those still in the dark, reach out to those who "get it", and keep listening to those instincts deep inside of you.  Practice "being with" the hell because you can trust that it will resolve in time.  Keep hanging onto faith in your body as it heals... Because it is, already, and you will look back in the future to this agonizing chapter in your life and say, "Holy shit, I can't believe what I went through... Life is so different now."  It will be. I promise.'"

Thankyou Sofa! :smitten:

About 2 years ago I had the family pharmacist tell me benzo withdrawal was all in my head!

I wanted to bop his for saying that! ;D

Lainey,

I was in tolerance withdrawal about 6 years ago when my dad got cancer,which he died from.Before that I was helping him alot,sort of a part time care giver.I was super stressed and that is why I started to have panic attacks that led me to the doctors one day in tears,which led to being prescribed benzos and antidepressants,etc.

It was a very emotional and stressful time having a sick parent that I mostly had sole responsibility for,as my sisters lived far away,or worked and couldn't help.I felt so alone,stressed to the max and majorly OVERWHELMED!I cried a lot,and felt so angry having to do everything without help,even though I loved my dad dearly and took the very best care of him I could do.

My heart goes out to you as you try and help your mom,yet are going through withdrawal at the same time. :hug:

You are really a kind and sweet soul to help your mom feeling the way you do.That is a huge struggle and sacrifice,and your mom is very blessed to have you! :smitten:

About 2 years ago I had the family pharmacist tell me benzo withdrawal was all in my head!

I wanted to bop his for saying that!

I'm sure you kept your composure, cuz you're smurfy...but I would've smurfed him one, and unleashed a string of smurfisms until I was blue in the face!

[d7...]

I wanted to bop his for saying that!

I'm sure you kept your composure, cuz you're smurfy...but I would've smurfed him one, and unleashed a string of smurfisms until I was blue in the face!

Shook you are such a chameleon!Love the Smurf avatar!I can't wait to see who you pick next!It's crazy good fun what goes on in your head!

I remember Joan Rivers once make a joke that she didn't like to wear a bathing suit,as she had so many varicose veins that she looks like a smurf!

I don't know why I just mentioned that? :laugh:

If I hadn't been so extra sick that day, when our pharmacist said that,I think I would have gone batman on his pharmaceutical modern day thinking and set him straight!

It's funny how their answer to all this is we need more meds,and the meds aren't the problem,we are..... :idiot::laugh:

I wanted to bop his for saying that! ;D

At the time of my AD w/d - years ago, before "discontinuation syndrome" was outed - I had a GP tell me I was like the princess, as in The Princess and the Pea.  ::)

A couple of years later and recovered from AD w/d, this same doc blew off my complaining about something else.  The tests confirmed a re-occurrence of an issue for which I'd undergone surgery in the past.  Told me no need for specialist referral unless I was symptomatic.  Scratching head, I asked him what symptoms would qualify.  He rattled a couple examples INCLUDING MINE!  OMFG! :tickedoff: I just quietly said to him, "Yes, that's the reason I came to see you".  Silence.  Got the referral.  Had surgery.  Got a new GP.  :P:thumbsup:

One time when I was discussing the dizziness/disequilibrium with a doctor, I'd brought a quote from an Ear, Nose and Throat textbook about the effect of "vestibular suppressants", including benzodiazepines, on the vestibular system. It stated that such substances interfere with the process of vestibular compensation, i.e. normalization.

It was pretty tough for the doctor to disregard the importance and validity of the facts, because they came from an ENT textbook. He seemed to acknowledge that I had at least some knowledge of the subject matter, and that there was a physiologic basis for my symptoms.

I'm so glad we have access to an online encyclopedia because it empowers us with knowledge. We shouldn't have to study this stuff, but I, for one, am pretty happy that I can access the info, if need be.

:) Happy to be of some amusement. Yeah, pharmacists don't want to believe that some pills can do harm. It takes lustre off their badge. They want to believe they are helping, but they can be as woefully (willfully?) and dangerously ignorant as the doctors writing the scripts...

I was taking clonazepam nightly. "Take as needed" the bottle said. No warnings, and no "informed consent". You know, that old story... The pharmacist was an enabler who filled out script after script, and never once asked questions.

And you're right. It's never the med's fault, especially when your complaint is something unusual or in the head... But they'll throw another pill at it, and on it goes. That's the allopathic approach to healing, backed by Big Pharma. But I'm painting with a broad brush again...  ::)

abcd,

:laugh:

Some doctors are either overworked, or got their license to practice from a box of Cracker Jacks. You really need to go in informed and ready to ask questions, fearless of their god-like authority. Good show.  :thumbsup:

Lapis,

You could teach most docs a thing or three! The Wizard of Oz has an honorary degree somewhere in his bag for you...  :)

Cool, Shook! "I'm off to see the Wizard, the Wonderful Wizard of Oz"....um, right now, actually, because I'm dizzy, and I'm in pain, and I'm thinking he might have something in his bag of tricks for me. But, please, no high-heeled red shoes for me! They suck for balance -- not to mention, sore feet.  :D

Ruby slippers... Cinderella's glass slippers... I guess high heels were called slippers back then.

I'm sure the Wizard has a pair of fuzzy red slippers for you and a comfy matching housecoat.  :)

Aside from a pharmacist friend of mine who, when I first began taking Clonaz, specifically warned me about potential for addiction, specifically used the word "dangerous".  Now, considering that was over 20 years ago, how's it possible that my bud was fully aware and yet, look what's still happening today?  Can't understand it, something eerily puzzling about the benzos.  So anyhow, besides my bud, and a couple of compounding pharmacists, I have *never* heard anything of any value from a pharmacist.  The average pharmacist, IMO, knows nothing more than someone with half a brain Googling at home.  And if they do, they don't share their knowledge.  If/when I bother to ask them any questions, I only do it for fun to test them.  >:D

Lapsy, you're really good about going in prepared, all your ducks in a row.  In reality, you diagnosed yourself, just had the psych sign off on it.  You just as easily could've had him dispute it and brush you off with good ole anxiety.  Or "conversion disorder" >:(.  Yep, had a neurologist offer to refer me to a psych as it might be Conversion Disorder.  I respectfully declined his generous offer and went home to Google my new affliction.  ;D