Important Survey - Please Participate ×

How much weight have people lost?

[Ne...]

I am still in the tolerance withdrawal stage and have already lost about 15 pounds. What happens during the taper? Can buddies please comment on weight loss. My anxiety is causing me to think I have some terrible disease. Getting more worried everyday  :'(

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Wo...]

• [Si...]

• [ca...]

• [he...]

Hi New Girl. I'm 5'10" and 145 lbs normally. During the worst of it I got down to close to 115 lbs. It was scary, but I'm back to my normal weight at 6 months out. I didn't have to do anything special to get there either. It's just a matter of your appetite returning, and it will. Totally normal in withdrawal.

An alarming 72 pounds....30 of it needed to be lost but the other 42 pounds had me looking quite ill. I've gained 10 pounds back, just by tapering and getting lower in dose. It's a symptom of withdrawal....try not to worry.

Hi all,

I lost 10 lbs the first couple months of withdrawal but I am only five-two so 10 pounds does show, my clothes look big. 

Now at just under a year I have my appetite back and have put a couple pounds back on.

get eating Kiddo, really....

good  luck,

BBF (Beth)

40 pounds. The taper made me nauseous and took away my appetite. I have since gained back about 10. But depending on the day I can either eat or not eat. I expect I will be like this until my taper is over. I lost most of the 40 pounds right away in 6 months.

I lost about 30 pounds in 2 weeks after c/t'ing! I went from 185 down to 155. I gained most of it back and now hover around the 170 – 175 range.

• 4 weeks later...
No disease, just evil benzos, you will lose to a certain point then stabilize, your body knows what it's doing, its not going to just continue to break itself down, it will stop at some point. Try not to worry too much about it, easier said than done, I know. I lost 15 pounds in tolerance, went from 165lbs to 150lbs. I tend to fluctuate from 148lbs to 155 and I am 6'3", so tall and really thin. I'm naturally thin so any weight loss from my natural weight is very noticeable. No matter how much I eat I cant gain, my body is just stuck in a catabolic state, burns through everything then breaks itself down. This is all normal, we will eventually get back to our normal weight.

I can't blame it all on benzos, as proton pump inhibitors did a number on me. Minus 25 pounds. I'm 113 now and damned if I can gain any weight!

• 3 weeks later...

I lost a few pounds (5-7, maybe 10) and my stomach got really flat, but now it seems I'm gaining it back (I only jumped a week ago but it started coming back at the end of my taper a few weeks ago).  I'm pissed, because I really liked having a flat stomach again.  Oh, and I could *almost* fit into my 501s from 15 years ago.  I guess now I can forget about that.  *pout*

7 months off and have lost 25 lbs and eat well. I like you worry about it a lot , but with so many people on the same boat, I'm sure it's withdrawal related.

Was in Tolorance withdrawl not crazy but not good for my last 2 years so dropped 15 lbs then started my C/O taper from Klonopin to Valium and went from 150lbs to over 160lbs and am 6` tall so not sure what is going on other then the taper in the begining and have heard most others say you do lose wieght but the Valium seems to have helped me get some back on and yes ice cream also  :thumbsup: ~CD

I've had the opposite. Gained probably 15 pounds since the beginning of my taper. I don't want to weigh myself because it's upsetting to have to look at the numbers.

Lost 50lb, none in the past 2 months, staying steady. Lost 30 from hyperthyroidsm, stablilized for a month, lost 20 more when tolerance started. Made myself eat to stop losing.  Still have to make myself eat sometimes.

[a8...]

Dropped 15 pounds without batting an eye. I was already a bit underweight because of insomnia and anxiety. Part of this was due to just being determined to eat healthier so I would heal faster. Ya know, there aren't a lot of calories in broccoli!

What's worrisome about this is it is mostly muscle loss. At 50+, I really can't afford to be losing muscle.

• 2 weeks later...
i started thin about 118 lbs and lost 10 from a bad chemo reaction which is what landed me on benzos then tapering bezos i lost another 8lbs down to 100 at 5'6".  for the first 3 months of tapering i force fed myself all the time and still lost 6 to 8 more pounds.  no appetite just force feed.  awful.  i put on a few pounds as i got to lower doses and got some of my appetite back.  now at 2 months off i enjoy food  again and am at 110lbs. 

i started thin about 118 lbs and lost 10 from a bad chemo reaction which is what landed me on benzos then tapering bezos i lost another 8lbs down to 100 at 5'6".  for the first 3 months of tapering i force fed myself all the time and still lost 6 to 8 more pounds.  no appetite just force feed.  awful.  i put on a few pounds as i got to lower doses and got some of my appetite back.  now at 2 months off i enjoy food  again and am at 110lbs. 

Congratulations on being 2 months out! In my experience you will slowly continue to gain until you're at your normal weight.  :)

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't know this could be a possible effect of quitting :)

I'm hoping to lose some cuz I'm actually about 20 pounds overweight from seroquel and Lithium (which I'm no longer on either).

I definitely feel like I'm losing weight but I'm too scared to check yet,lol

My appetite is definitely nothing especially since I'm on topamax too.

I lost 20 pounds during 19 days in detox. Then I put it all back on in about 6 weeks but have lost about 12 pounds the last 10 days. 

I am still in the tolerance withdrawal stage and have already lost about 15 pounds. What happens during the taper? Can buddies please comment on weight loss. My anxiety is causing me to think I have some terrible disease. Getting more worried everyday  :'(

Hey New Girl, please hang in there. Stomach pain was my first problem after stopping c/t so I didn't make the connection to w/d. I pursued stomach treatment for months--and it's still not 100% better but I'm more and more convinced that it's nothing serious. The anxiety will get you down, but please hang in and keep calm.

I strongly, strongly encourage you to quickly find the comfort foods that will help you stay nourished in this time. I'm 6'1 and usually 185-190, but pretty slim. At my lowest weight about a week ago I was around 165, so I lost more than 20 pounds in the last 3 months. I've determined to eat more to gain back my weight. I think it's important for the body to fight and stay strong.

Wish you lots of good health and healing! Healing for all of us.

HT