Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Share Your Favorite Paintings and Classical Music

[ca...]

[b0...]

Clever insom! Rossetti belonged to a group of artists who called themselves the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood. They include Burne-Jones, Millais, Holman Hunt and Waterhouse plus others.

I love this artistic movement. There is an amazing picture of Opelia by Millais which is quite famous. Sad though because she is drowning herself. She was a character in Hamlet who went mad. Hence the drowning.

Burne-Jones did some incredible stained glass windows. I urge you to look at their beauty and wonder at the amazing talent. Lots of love sweetie. Gilly x PS did you enjoy the challenge? I like the one you chose. But then I like nearly all of them. Rossetti was also a poet, apparently. But his sister Christina Rossetti was better known ( I think) for her poetry.

Gilly,

Thank you so much for introducing me to Rossetti's work

His paintings are marvelous! 

Apparently the subject of this painting is Boccaccio's muse named Fiammetta.

The frame of the painting is inscribed with three texts: the sonnet by Boccaccio entitled "On his Last Sight of Fiammetta"

which inspired the painting; Rossetti's translation of it, and his own poem mirroring the painting. 

Splendid challenge, dear Gilly! I've long admired the paintings of Waterhouse but had never looked into the work of other

artists from this movement.

Much love to you, Ins  :smitten:

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [lo...]

• [ca...]

• [ho...]

• [63...]

And much love to you ins.  :smitten:

Great that you liked Waterhouse.

Of course I spelt Ophelia wrong. Apologies for that.

Interesting about the poem round the edge of the painting. Also interesting that it belongs to Andrew Lloyd Webber.

Promise me you will look at Burne - Jones' stained glass. You will LOVE it, if I know you.... :smitten: xxx

[b0...]

And much love to you ins.  :smitten:

Great that you liked Waterhouse.

Of course I spelt Ophelia wrong. Apologies for that.

Interesting about the poem round the edge of the painting. Also interesting that it belongs to Andrew Lloyd Webber.

Promise me you will look at Burne - Jones' stained glass. You will LOVE it, if I know you.... :smitten: xxx

Gilly

You are so right about my loving Edward Burn-Jones' stained glass.

Here is one of his pieces titled "Faith, Hope and Charity"

If you would like to add descriptive information about this artist, Gilly, that

would be lovely.

Again, thank you for bringing his work to my attention.

Love, Ins :smitten:

http://www.iconart.org.uk/works/chc_1.jpg

Yes, this is lovely. Incredible talent. Don't know anything about it except that St Paul said that the Christian virtues we're Faith, Hope and Charity and that the greatest of these was Charity. By this he apparently meant that Charity was putting God and others before yourself. Some Bibles change this to Faith, Hope and Love.

On the other hand, and perhaps more applicable to the Burne-Jones work, there were three sisters called Faith, Hope and Charity in ancient times. They all died and were canonized. Don't know why.

Sorry I can't shed any more light (well, it is a window!) on it than that. Gilly x

[b0...]

http://hoocher.com/Edward_Burne_Jones/Maria_Zambaco_1870.jpg

"Cupid and Psyche" (1870) - Edward Burne-Jones

This is a painting of Maria Zambaco, an artist and model favoured by the Pre-Raphaelites.

Stopping in to say hi... thanks for letting me peek in on your gorgeous artistic discussion, Gilly and Ins.  :smitten:

The red in the Rossetti painting is really amazing! And I love Christina Rossetti's poetry.

You're more than welcome Rapunzel Blue. If you want to join in then this week we are discussing our favourite Edward Hopper paintings.

Ins, I have decided that I like New York Movie best and would appreciate it if you would put it up for me. Thanks.

PS another great pre Raphaelite picture! X

[b0...]

http://www.museumsyndicate.com/images/1/473.jpg

"New York Movie" (1939) - Edward Hopper

Here you go, my friend Gilly.

I can't wait to read your thoughts on this painting.

Rapunzelblue, thank you for stopping in and I hope you will join us again soon.

Hugs,

Ins :smitten:

Hello ins and perhaps Rapunzel blue,

OK ins, thanks for putting my choice of Hopper painting up for me. You know what a technophobe I am!

I must first say that to me, Hopper is a brilliant user of space (see Night hawks in particular). In my opinion he has a tendency to focus in on the loneliness of life. He brings to mind how lonely you can be even when you are with someone. Perhaps more lonely than when you are on your own.

However, the focus of this painting is the girl on the right. Perhaps she is an usherette.

Hopper has deliberately removed her from the enjoyment of the crowd watching the film. In this way he emphasizes her loneliness. He has done that even more cleverly by actually placing a solid wall between her loneliness and the pleasure of the people watching the movie. She really is on her own and I feel sympathy for her.

But is the crowd really enjoying the film? Are they just seeking escape from their own mundane lives? We actually only see one or two people so it's not really a crowd at all.

I like Hopper's use of light in this painting. He cleverly places the girl directly under the lamp. This contrasts with the darkness of the cinema itself. Again her separateness is the focal point.

I think Hopper is an excellent purveyor of the sad and lonely lives of the people in many of his paintings.  He is a good user of light , especially artificial light (see Chop Suey). I don't think he is the most technically adept artist - his paintings are usually simple scenes - but as a storyteller of emotion he is superb.

Well, there you are ins and Rapunzel. Do you agree with me?!  Gilly x

[b0...]

Hello ins and perhaps Rapunzel blue,

OK ins, thanks for putting my choice of Hopper painting up for me. You know what a technophobe I am!

I must first say that to me, Hopper is a brilliant user of space (see Night hawks in particular). In my opinion he has a tendency to focus in on the loneliness of life. He brings to mind how lonely you can be even when you are with someone. Perhaps more lonely than when you are on your own.

However, the focus of this painting is the girl on the right. Perhaps she is an usherette.

Hopper has deliberately removed her from the enjoyment of the crowd watching the film. In this way he emphasizes her loneliness. He has done that even more cleverly by actually placing a solid wall between her loneliness and the pleasure of the people watching the movie. She really is on her own and I feel sympathy for her.

But is the crowd really enjoying the film? Are they just seeking escape from their own mundane lives? We actually only see one or two people so it's not really a crowd at all.

I like Hopper's use of light in this painting. He cleverly places the girl directly under the lamp. This contrasts with the darkness of the cinema itself. Again her separateness is the focal point.

I think Hopper is an excellent purveyor of the sad and lonely lives of the people in many of his paintings.  He is a good user of light , especially artificial light (see Chop Suey). I don't think he is the most technically adept artist - his paintings are usually simple scenes - but as a storyteller of emotion he is superb.

Well, there you are ins and Rapunzel. Do you agree with me?!  Gilly x

Gilly,

What a beautiful analysis.  I really enjoyed reading this.

When I am better able to focus, I will add a Hopper

painting.

Thank you, for sharing your insight.

Love,

Ins :smitten:

Thank you ins. I knew I liked this painting but writing about it seemed to give me extra appreciation. It was not easy to write about it because my brain could not recall words. In fact I was tired when I'd finished.

Do not rush to put your Hopper on or write about it. You may even need another week. This withdrawal thing is very unpredictable and I understand.

By the way, when we have finished this, the next artist of choice is yours my friend.

Thank you for liking my...…er...lost it again! Account? No. Erm, ...analysis! Yes, analysis is good! The brain is working somewhere!

Take extra special care of yourself sweet ins. Love, Gilly x

[b0...]

http://theredlist.com/media/database/fine_arts/arthistory/painting/realism_figurative_painting/edward-hopper/014-edward-hopper-theredlist.jpg

"Automat" - Edward Hopper (1927)

Automat was first displayed on Valentine's Day 1927 at the opening of Hopper's second solo show, at the Rehn Galleries in

New York.  The painting portrays a lone woman staring into a cup of coffee in an Automat at night.  The reflection of identical

rows of light fixtures stretches out through the night-blackened window

Gilly,

Sorry I have been late in posting.  This is one of my favorite Hopper paintings.

I'll return later to try to explain, and thank you for everything you share here.

It is so enriching. :)

Love,

Ins

Wow ins! I haven't seen that Hopper. It's amazing! Don't feel like you have to do an analysis of it if you don't want to. Is up to you sweetie. Hugs for my pal. Gilly x

PS Becca is still here and it's really good.

[b0...]

Wow ins! I haven't seen that Hopper. It's amazing! Don't feel like you have to do an analysis of it if you don't want to. Is up to you sweetie. Hugs for my pal. Gilly x

PS Becca is still here and it's really good.

Hi Gilly,

About that painting, I've been wondering.  I like that she went out.  That she didn't stay home, isolated with her thoughts.

She may be alone in the automat, but she doesn't come off as defeated nor does the image evoke feelings of loneliness.

I think she's brave.

Love,

Ins

ps

I am so glad you had a good evening with Becca.

Hugs for you. :hug:

Hello ins. I think she DOES look lonely. Or maybe she's just in a reverie.

Interestingly, Rebecca had a look at it and straightaway said 'she's been stood up!'

That is a possibility, but not how I see it!

Hope you are coping okay today. You know you should tell me your name and which state you are in. I feel a bit silly calling you 'insomniac'!

Love and Hugz, Gilly x

Hi all,

I just came across this thread, and thought I'd post a classical music link.

I love Debussy, and "Girl with the Flaxen Hair" moves me tremendously.

When I'm feeling numb, it pulls up intense, almost crystalline, feelings of longing, hope and rebirth out of me that I sometimes think may be lost.

It's a very powerful piece for me 

And I think that Joshua Bell is an incredible violinist!

mp

http://youtu.be/jXaMBnMUHsM

• 2 months later...

Hi friends! I haven't been around much lately but I just read through these posts that I missed and I hope you are hanging in there and taking good care of yourselves.  :smitten:

Mourningperson, thank you for posting that beautiful piece. I love Joshua Bell also! One of my favorites that he does is the Bruch Violin Concerto: