What I've learned about DP/DR

[Sl...]

I wish I could learn not to fight the D/R stuff and just observe it without getting panicky.

I know I will come back but I always fear I won't and that is what I struggle with.

Betsy  - I understand your fear....I had one particularly scary bout with DP/DR two days ago and I'm still feeling a little shell shocked. I actually feel ether since reading your post as I didn't equate it at the time with it being just that. When you said that the walls were leaning and the floor moved and everything was distorted that's EXACTLY what it felt like. I was terrified. How did you know it was DP/DR? I've never heard of it manifesting that way. I normally feel more dream-like and hazy and like I'm not real. I can handle it much better now because I'm not afraid of it. I believe that's why it's happening less and isn't as intense.

Oscar - I've read a couple of your posts lately, normally I like reading them because they are informative and infused with bravery. Lately, you seem like this taper is really getting you down. I can only imagine how hard this after 33 months but please don't give up. You are a source of inspiration for many, including a short term user like me. Other long term users need your wisdom, humour and strength. I posted above about a book I read that took most of the fear out of DP/DR for me.....maybe it's worth a read for you as well.

Oscar - I've read a couple of your posts lately, normally I like reading them because they are informative and infused with bravery. Lately, you seem like this taper is really getting you down. I can only imagine how hard this after 33 months but please don't give up. You are a source of inspiration for many, including a short term user like me. Other long term users need your wisdom, humour and strength. I posted above about a book I read that took most of the fear out of DP/DR for me.....maybe it's worth a read for you as well.

Aw thanks Kiddo, that's real nice of you, I think I will check that book out, anything that takes the fear of DP/DR for me can only help, great stuff, hope you are good today, well, you know what I mean.  ;)

Oscar

After tonight I am going to try and work on better sleep, if it makes the DP/DR a little less I am all for it AND less thinking about it where possible.

Time to start playing facebook games again maybe? That is a distraction that helped.

I just looked at an anxiety website, ALL the stuff we get is "just" anxiety, it has so many symptoms. As much as we find support here, in many ways we are all looking for answers and that of course can exacerbate symptoms, yet we feel compelled to come here anyway. I think there is reassurance that others have the same thing, it's good and bad in my opinion.

We should hang out on the other boards more often, I may start some threads soon.

Feel better soon Kiddo... it's just rebound anxiety, we are all OK really.

I had to get outside when it was at its worst.  As a matter of fact, I found that focusing on

a computer screen, phone or book/newspaper, etc was "closing my mind in on itself," so to

speak, making dp.  Getting out, walking, working, bike riding, etc, always opened me back up.

The dp/dr stuff lifted gradually a few cuts ago, and now it's rare and mild and recognized

as an old feeling often brought on by stress/anxiety.

- Slappy

I had to get outside when it was at its worst.  As a matter of fact, I found that focusing on

a computer screen, phone or book/newspaper, etc was "closing my mind in on itself," so to

speak, making dp.  Getting out, walking, working, bike riding, etc, always opened me back up.

The dp/dr stuff lifted gradually a few cuts ago, and now it's rare and mild and recognized

- Slappy

That's great news Slappy.  :thumbsup:

- Slappy

That's great news Slappy.  :thumbsup:

Thanks, Oscar.  Yeah the "hell cycle" I keep talking about seems to be getting less

"crisis like," if you know what I mean. 

I think it's partially because of my real slow taper of only 5%, and also waiting a bit

longer now before another cut.

I have to keep repeating the importance of therapy, though.  It has taught me a lot

about myself and how to use on-target, honest coping strategies instead of my old

ones, which were useful long ago but stopped working when a real life series of

tragic events began a few years ago (that's what got me on the benzos  :tickedoff:).

What I'm wondering, and why I posted this thread, is how many others see their dp

as a sort of brain/mind coping strategy that is old, not new with the benzos, etc.

I remember a lot of people "zoning out" years ago on pot and other drugs.. intentionally.

The idea was to get high and laugh a lot, but many of them seemed to be leaving

their real self behind in a way and later talked about regretting using those drugs.

Also, some were doing what I did, which was to just not be their true self much at all

after a while, in response to great stress (divorce, death in family, drafted into the

military, other life's challenges, some big some little).

- Slappy

Betsy  - I understand your fear....I had one particularly scary bout with DP/DR two days ago and I'm still feeling a little shell shocked. I actually feel ether since reading your post as I didn't equate it at the time with it being just that. When you said that the walls were leaning and the floor moved and everything was distorted that's EXACTLY what it felt like. I was terrified. How did you know it was DP/DR? I've never heard of it manifesting that way. I normally feel more dream-like and hazy and like I'm not real. I can handle it much better now because I'm not afraid of it. I believe that's why it's happening less and isn't as intense.

Kiddo:

I didn't know what it was. Never even heard the terms  D/P and D/R. My doc told what it was, and that I had a very bad case of it. Then I googled them and learned a lot more about them. The fear I knew only quite to well. Every time I got on a plane that's what I felt. I used to love to fly but came a hair lengths from crashing into the Santa Anta mountains. Even the pilot  came over the intercom and said, "folks, I don't think we're gonna make it this time." I was cool, calm and collected. I just said to myself, " so this is a simple way of dying when you're just married and are 26 years old. You'll be nothing more than a short story in the local paper." The very rich old lady sitting next to me just put her head on my shoulders and weeped and weeped. After I got out of the plan alive, my knees buckled and I fell down. After that, the fear was intense. From now on, it's either cars, trains or buses. NO planes for me! If I have to go to Europe then I'll swim. I'll read that book. Betsy