Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

XANAX Support Blog: If you're tapering Xanax/alprazolam, join in the discussion!

[mr...]

Sad, struggling. Not sure how to know if I'm stable enough to begin taper. Seems my CNS is so fragile, the least thing still upsets it. Am I supposed to up dose to make this better, stay where I am, or start tapering? I'm frightened that I can't seem to know what to do.

VCharis:

Stable means: you can handle the w/d symptoms. Everyone is different is this. You have to decide your level of

stabilization. I know its hard, but PNR dosing does not work for stabilization. I dosed  8 times a day, no kidding due to

the interdose w/d. It was my husbands strategy that worked for me. Then I got a huge pill dispenser, placed my compounded

Xanax of .0625mg there for the week, so I did not overthink this.

You are dosing :  .50 mg @ 10PM

.125mg @ 10AM

.125mg @  4 PM

Dose per 24 hrs  .75 mg

What about this:    .375 mg @ 10 PM

.125mg  @  4 AM

.125mg  @ 10 AM

.125mg  @[  ...]

Dose per 24 Hrs  .75 mg

The reasoning is due to Xanax short half life. If you even out your dose every 6 hours, with the largest at bedtime, you should stabilize as you would reduce any interdose withdrawal. I understand wanting to dose at .50mg for  sleep issues. Was this why you took Xanax? IMO, dosing evenly throughout the day is VERY important, regardless of the Benzo. Your system could be going up and down, which in itself creates its own sx. You then will need to stabilize on this continuous dosing until you feel stable.

IMO, Take your time, VCharis. It will happen for you.

Thoughts to you :smitten:

NFM :angel:

NFM, thanks for making it so clear/simple even my brain can understand!  :thumbsup:

Yeah, I stopped PRN dosing in January. That was wrecking me.

Last night I realized that going from 10pm - 10am is much too long. Took my AM xanax earlier (8am) this morning. That tweak alone might help, I dunno. Wish I'd read your note first. Would love to go 4 x daily but need to sleep through the night since I'm so sleep deprived, waking all hours, and rarely drift back to sleep.

Will tweaking my schedule cause a problem? Seems if I'm bringing my doses closer together, it could only help.

How do I arrive at 0.375? Maybe titrating would make this easier?

Yes, taking Xanax (alprazolam) for help w/sleep since coming off Seroquel (12.5-25) last year. Should've kicked the benzo first. Xanax originally prescribed for anxiety/depression. Ironically, xanax makes you anxious and depressed.

One issue: I set my alarm for 6 am for thyroid hormone replacement but end up taking it earlier since I tend to wake up too early. Can't take thyroid close to other meds/supps; it hinders absorption. Gotta find a way to work around this. So wondering if going 8 hours will be a problem for me.

Thank you for responding/helping... :smitten:

VCharis:

Xanax has a "rebound" affect that is what you are experiencing IMO.

You are taking your Xanax every 8 hours, per your prior post. You should ask your Dr. and Pharmacist about

taking the Xanax at 4 am (If this is the time you choose) and then your Thyroid medication, ie allowing for the

absorption rate issue.

Compounding a medication: The Exact medication amount with binding agents to make a pill/capsule/liquid

EXAMPLE ONLY

Prescription reads: .0625 mg of Xanax compounded in pill form, taken per taper schedule.

then the amount prescribed.

Medication already "made" will not have the exact amount, but close to, as they must have a "standard" to follow

that is already in place.

NFM

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Be...]

• [mr...]

• [Ra...]

• [VC...]

Top Posters In This Topic

What's up peeps?  I'm pissed because apparently I've become somewhat physically dependent and I'm looking for help. 

Now, I don't have a crazy story, I think I've caught this at a great time. I've had panic attacks since 09 and dealt with it for 4.5 years before I started taking Xanax August of 2013 as needed for the bad panic attacks. (I've always been opposed to meds, i take nothing else like SSRIs or anything, they scare me). So,  Maybe .25 mg once or twice/week for severe panic. I've never taken more than .25 mg.  However.  Since i started taking it, I've been more to the ER than I ever have for panic.<--- I just realized this a few days ago.  I blame xanax, obviously. 

I recently got fed up and just decided maybe i just need to take it to live a normal life.  So about 3 weeks ago, I took .25mg daily for about a week.  Then I realized how bad w/d is from research and reading.  It all makes so much sense.  I have AWFUL attacks every three days.  IT's a cycle. Awful panic attack, .25 mg, good for 2 or 3 days, repeat.

Yesterday I woke up more anxious than i've ever been after not taking it for 2 days and went into this crazy manic depressed mode like there was NO HOPE, my gf was going to leave me, just..... anything bad that could possibly happen, WAS.GOING.TO.HAPPEN. 

I've never been bi polar.  I've never had ANY mental health issues besides the really bad panic attacks.  I've never felt the way i did last night even in the worst depressions of my life.  (ie family member loss, dog dying etc.)

It was absolutely nuts. I just kept thinking and knowing "This is not who I am, who AM I?, WTF!?"

Anyways, physical symptoms are also crazy.  Like I said, I'm very well-versed in my panic attacks.  I know how they make me feel.  I'm used to doing the breathing exercises, meditation, etc etc. I'm fully aware of how the panic can manifest itself in my body and mind.  Scary, but NOTHING like what i've been experiencing lately.

So, right now I have about 15 .25 mg xanax left and 2 out of 6 refills left <<<< I'm going to kick my psych in the nuts for that one (not really, i'm just kidding, plus she's a girl.)

So God knows i have plenty to wean myself off, and that's what I want to do.

Now, I know that my situation is probably WAY better than most people's who start this journey, so I'm feeling lucky as hell and determined as fuck to kick benzos forever (never thought I'd be wishing for NORMAL panic attacks to come back LOL)

I gotta get off these things.  Apparently I have somewhat of an addictive personality for them to be affecting me like this. 

I've read through the ashton manual (gotta love that sweet woman even if she is 2000 years old) and was wondering if i should try to slide my way over to valium or something and THEN start tapering, or if i should just keep the xanax and do it with that.

All my Mental health stuff is through Veteran's Affairs.  They kind of suck, so I'm expecting my doc to know next to nothing about how serious benzo withdrawal is....... it seems to be a lot of ignorance throughout the medical community about this.

Anyways, just looking for some advice. 

I also want to say this:

Thank you.  A lot of people with panic/anxiety (and I'm sure benzo withdrawal also) often times don't feel very confident, or think that somehow their life is so much harder than everyone elses, but let me tell you, If you are going through this and living to tell about it, YOU ARE A FUCKING MONSTER!! YOU ARE A BEAST!  YOU ARE LIVING THROUGH SOMETHING THAT WOULD CRIPPLE MOST PEOPLE FOR GOOD, SO DON'T FORGET HOW STRONG YOU OBVIOUSLY ARE!  I can't thank the creators of this site enough.  A lot of the rest of my time is going to be going toward raising awareness for this.  So, as a veteran of 2 foreign wars (operation iraqi freedom and enduring freedom), you are all heroes in my book if you have gone through this and lived to tell about it.  So thank you.

Some quick background.  I turn 30 on Friday.  I'm scared of pills but the xanax was like a god sent the first time i broke down and took some.  It just took my panic and made it my bitch.... it was cool (at the time).  Never been on any other meds including SSRIs or anything.  I'm a vet so I'm generally healthy although I do smoke between 5-15 cigarettes/day. 

SYMPTOMS when not taken for 24-72 hours:

-SEVERE Nausea

-CRazy dizzy spells/vertigo that feel like my head just got hit by a Mack Truck carrying dizziness in the back (only lasts for a few seconds)

-general dizziness/lightheadedness

-Crazy severe panic attacks and all that it entails (pounding heart, spiking vitals, crazy tingles, chest pain, blah blah blah)

-weird depression (apparently)

-complete loss of appetite

-trouble breathing

-shakiness

-tingling in arms, legs, scalp

Thanks to any replies I can get, knowledge, experience, whatever you've got.  Throw your 2 cents my way.  Maybe you think I'm a big wuss for not being able to kick .25 mgs.... that's fine, i understand.... I'm seriously shocked myself.....

If you've read this, you deserve to at least know my real first name,

-Tyler

Hi Tyler,

My apologies, as I won't be able to post very long, but I just wanted to say hi! Our stories are somewhat similar: I am freshly 32 years **young** and was sensitive to the measly 0.25mg xanax. More of my story and personal accounts can be read on my blog if you choose (http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=79163.0).

You're not alone in your ploy for freedom. I did not cross over to another benzo, but chose to water taper from my xanax. I won't be able to mentor you regarding tapering, but on page two of my blog I go into detail on what I do. Since you're also on 0.25mg and sensitive, water taper may be wise so that you can gradually & gently step off. I'm now 14 months into tapering and 76% free, and have been able to work full- and part-time throughout as well as maintain a "normal" appearing life (to outsiders, anyways LOL) as a result. Choose whatever path is best for you, of course :)

Like I said, I'm not in a position to answer your taper questions, nor post long posts, but I wanted to peek in and say you're not alone, and you can do this ;) Feel free to post in the Taper section of this forum for more guidance on tapering as well ;)

I'll be back in over the next few days to say hi again -- take care until then! :)

Mrs. :smitten:

Hi nispe, welcome to the Xanax thread.  I totally understand where you're coming from.  Xanax taken 'as needed' can cause the symptoms that we take the Xanax for to actually become worse.  I do believe that since your dose is .25mg that you should be able to taper off of the Xanax if this is what you choose to do.  I tapered 3mg of Xanax over a 9-month period last spring after taking Xanax for sleep for over 25-years.  So, if I could do it, so can you if you set your mind to doing this.  :thumbsup:

What most of us do who dry cut is we cut out a quarter of a .25mg, (.0625mg), every 8 to 14 days until we get to zero.  Some folks who have a bit more trouble reducing their dose, (increased withdrawal symptoms that aren't manageable), take the .0625mg piece and cut that in half until they get to zero.

I did not feel my Xanax cuts until the 4th or 5th day after the cut.  I always waited until the withdrawal symptoms settled back down prior to cutting my dose again.  I used a drugstore pill cutter to get the .0625mg cut by snapping the pill in half at the score line with my fingers and then cutting the half, in half, in the cutter.

You can do this.  :thumbsup: 

;D Wow!  Thanks guys!  I appreciate it so much! 

So have your symptoms been somewhat manageable?  I can deal with panic attacks and stuff but not severe depression and crazy manic episodes and stuff.  I refuse to drive away loved ones.  They love me and they can hang, but I can't put them through anything too severely crazy. 

They are used to my normal symptoms, but the way things are going right now may not work. IDK... I'm just scared about what to expect.

Well, my taper took 9-months and as you can imagine, it got old dealing with cutting pills and waiting for that length of time for it to be over --- but it was so worth it to me.  I'm no longer dependent upon a medicine to sleep and I'm so thankful.  My taper was tough but it was manageable.  I didn't go through any kind of acute withdrawal when I jumped and now at 9-months free, I'm feeling great.  If I remember correctly, it took me about a month to lose my last .25mg.  I'd taper by listening to my body though.  This way you'll be able to do this on your bodies schedule, because we're all different.  Good luck.

;D Wow!  Thanks guys!  I appreciate it so much! 

So have your symptoms been somewhat manageable?  I can deal with panic attacks and stuff but not severe depression and crazy manic episodes and stuff.  I refuse to drive away loved ones.  They love me and they can hang, but I can't put them through anything too severely crazy. 

They are used to my normal symptoms, but the way things are going right now may not work. IDK... I'm just scared about what to expect.

You'll be alright :) The mental symptoms ("cognitive" symptoms as I lovingly call them LOL) are NO fun, for sure! But just know that they're just that -- symptoms and nothing more. Depression, 'manic', etc are all VERY common, you're not alone ;)

Nispe, post a exact signature, or re-post a exact "short story" of your benzo use/scheduele...

a lot of us have benzo brain and cant read all that lol...

so you just took .25 once or twice a week....but recently took it daily for a week, then stopped..?

how long ago was that? that you stopped?

some people have a bad reaction to it right off the bat... it might make you feel "good" right when you take it, but then you feel bad.....

with what I can tell of your history, I wonder if you should just cold turkey and stop taking it period, or do somewhat of a really fast taper...

I say that because to taper, you would have to get on it and "stabilize", so to speak, before starting your taper, and then take the time to taper.....

you'd being doing more benzos than ever before by tapering!...

I dunno dude, I think you could probably just stop....

or maybe just do a half or fourth of a .25 as needed, but watch yourself and keep it to once or twice a week, then stop....

Ok I re-read it, it does appear from what you say that youre having immediate withdrawals everytime you take your "occassional dose" of xanax, and thats entirely possible for some people..

I still dont know if I would get on xanax and stabllize and then start tapering if I were you, that seems so backwards since it would end up being more than youve ever taken.....

how long do your side effects usually last? after a dose....do they ever subside??

I think Ive seen where people in your shoes cold turkeyed, had a bit of bad withdrawals a few days, then come out of it pretty quick, because of the short term, limited use....

if I was you I still think I would cold turkey and then just do very small 'rescue doses"...as small as possible, only as needed.... then try to stop completely in after a week or two of doing that....

that might not be a typical approach, but your circumstances arent typical either....

I still just get all up in arms when I think about you "instating" a dose, waiting to stabilize and tapering slowly from there, that seems F'ed up....again, its more than youve ever taken....

ps. since you know about deep breathing and meditation and such...if you need something extra for anxiety, theres a few other drugs used that arent addicting, such as the beta-blocker metoprolol...

I take it for heart arrythmias, and my cardiologist perscribes it for anxiety, she doesnt use benzos..

they perscribe it to actors for stage fright and such...

its mild, but it helps.....

On January 26th I was removing 10mL and I started having significant SX's so I help for 7 days.

On Feb 2nd I re*started my taper at -11mL.  As of today I have removed -15mL, and I'm feeling crappy.  Is it WD's again...this soon?

Do I just continue to ride it out.  I felt better at my 9a.m. dose and I took my 1p.m. dose and it is already wearing off.  It is now 3:45p.m.  Is this NORMAL, and do I just have to ride it out until I can't stand the SX's?

Thank you,

FluterByee :sick: :'( :-\:-X:-[:o:(

Today's SX's sick, dizzy, nausea, headachy, muscle spasms, left shoulder locked up again...Blah Blah Blah. My positive statement is I made beef stew for dinner.

Both my down stairs toilets are clogged up, the Hospice social worker is coming over at 4:30, my dad still has an impaction and hospice had to come out and give him 3 enemas...I feel like yuck!!!!!  That is how my day has gone so far.  In the infamous words of Nana....is it bed time yet.

FB :tickedoff:

Sorry you're feeling like crap fluter.  :-\ It may not be directly tied to your cut. You're tapering and and all kinds of symptoms can pop up. It will get better.  :)

While you're waiting would you send some of that beef stew my way? Yum!

I hope your toilets get openend up today and your dads plumbing also gets to working order.  :)

Stress, (which you are obviously have extra of) will amp and bring on symptoms. Can you do something for you? Like meditate? I'm not sure if you're able to meditate it was impossible for me until recently. If you can and can also get the alone time there are some good guided meditations on youtube.

:smitten:

anytime you do a cut and start feeling like crap you can be pretty sure its withdrawals....usually they run the same route each cut, but sometimes they will change up their visitation schedueles... :D

Started 10 mg citalopram today is my 3rd day And I started to take it at 7 tonight,instead of 11 am. Should I still take my 0.25 mg Xanax if I am already drowsy? I have been steadily taking 0.25 mg every 4 hours for 2 weeks. Thanks

Started 10 mg citalopram today is my 3rd day And I started to take it at 7 tonight,instead of 11 am. Should I still take my 0.25 mg Xanax if I am already drowsy? I have been steadily taking 0.25 mg every 4 hours for 2 weeks. Thanks

I would take my Xanax dose as usual until,  I started my Xanax taper. 

Ive had 1mg xanax every night for just shy of a month. Since 01/10/14. Noticed toleranced and last few days have noticed somewhat intense withdrawal a few hours before my nightly dose. Want to stop xanax. Ive only had half so fsr tonight. Other half is sitting on my night stand is that ok since im not really sure its considered longtime use?

Ive had 1mg xanax every night for just shy of a month. Since 01/10/14. Noticed toleranced and last few days have noticed somewhat intense withdrawal a few hours before my nightly dose. Want to stop xanax. Ive only had half so fsr tonight. Other half is sitting on my night stand is that ok since im not really sure its considered longtime use?

Welcome to the Xanax thread.  This is considered short-term use, in my opinion.  Since you are experiencing discomfort prior to your nighttime dose, what you are probably experiencing is interdose, (between dose), withdrawal symptoms.  Most members who experience this break up and spread out their dosing to multiple times per day.  What I would try first is I would take my 1X per day dosing and break this out to 2X per day, not changing the overall dose I took for the day.

I'd then get stable on the 2X per day dosing.  After I felt better, I would then begin a rapid taper off of the medicine.  This is what I'd try:

Starting at 1mg total per day

Drop to .75mg per day for 5-7 days

Drop to .50mg per day for 5-7 days

Drop to .25mg per day for 5-7 days

If I was doing well with this dose reduction pattern, I would stop taking Xanax at .25mg per day.  If I was having great difficulty with the .25mg drops, I'd taper the .25mg to .125mg and hold at .125mg for 5-7 days and then stop there.

The idea for short-term users is to taper as rapidly, (as is manageable for them), to limit their exposure to the benzo.

During the reductions, there will possibly be a bit of discomfort.  However, this discomfort should be short lived. 

I would probably not reduce my dose to .50mg today, given the symptoms you have described.  I'd opt to taper off in a manner similar to what I've described.

Keep posting for support.  :thumbsup:

Thank you for your reply im waiting for my doctor to call me back to hopefully get .25mg pills instead of 1mg pills. I was thinking I wanted to try the schedule you suggested which has put some of my fear at rest this whole thing is just creepy. ive only had half at 10pm. Thinking ill take the other half around 10 am.

Juliea's given you some excellent advice,  vega8907.  Don't worry too much, you're going to be fine.  Some discomfort, a little time.  I would definitely not ever consider taking a benzodiazepine again, though.  Repeated exposures can and usually do lead to more difficult withdrawals.

Challis  :)

I first noticed the anxiety at an uncomfortable level last night. I was trying to take a class. I find when im at home with my family it is not much of an issue to wait til bedtime most nights. Maybe its anew symptom. Maybe its class. But regardless im done with them

Anxiety is nearly 100% universal in withdrawal.  It helps to understand that the anxiety is of a physical origin and not an indication of your true mental/emotional state.  It will go away after withdrawal.

I took a photography class during my Xanax withdrawal.  I learned absolutely nothing and was uncomfortable in class due in part to the fluorescent lights in the classroom and the fact that the teacher spent a lot of time using slideshows and various light-intense teaching strategies.  Hard on the eyes, which are temporarily affected by w/d.

Calm, measured breathing helps a lot sometimes.  Here's a link to the Anxiety board where you might find more tips for handling the anxiety:  http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?board=58.0 

Challis  :highfive:

I know you're not a doctor and whatever you say is your opinion, but if you were me and you took xanax three times a day, would you start titrating for the morning and midday dose at the beginning?

I only ask because I am currently tapering my morning and miday dose....so it will get down to .5/.5/1mg. I'm reluctant to taper my evening dose at 3mg because the longest period between doses is the nighttime and morning, which is when I get the worse WD

Another question: if you keep xanax in water, does it lose its potency?

My doctor tells kme to start tapering tomorrow. Today I split my.dose to .5 every 12 hours. I havent been hungry but forced some food in. And my face gets flush is that normal? Other than that ok just alittle anxious of changes.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [le...]
    • [Ct...]
    • [hu...]
    • [Pa...]
    • [Ch...]
    • [bi...]
    • [fa...]
    • [El...]
    • [ry...]
    • [Ro...]
    • [fr...]