Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

XANAX Support Blog: If you're tapering Xanax/alprazolam, join in the discussion!

[mr...]

Dear VCharis,

Thanks for the congratulations....it IS an accomplishment! You will be there too!

Your question about how I got to all equal doses....I do not remember the exact time or dose, but I did it early in the water taper schedule. I would mix and remove the amount I was tossing and then gradually ( over a few weeks)  divided the doses into equal amounts. I used small glass spice jars and syringes. I did not feel a difference in symptoms as doses equalized.  When I went from dry to liquid tapering I held a while to adjust.

Hope this helps.

Carita

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Be...]

• [mr...]

• [Ra...]

• [VC...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear VCharis,

Thanks for the congratulations....it IS an accomplishment! You will be there too!

Your question about how I got to all equal doses....I do not remember the exact time or dose, but I did it early in the water taper schedule. I would mix and remove the amount I was tossing and then gradually ( over a few weeks)  divided the doses into equal amounts. I used small glass spice jars and syringes. I did not feel a difference in symptoms as doses equalized.  When I went from dry to liquid tapering I held a while to adjust.

Hope this helps.

Carita

That helps!!! Thank you so much!! And I'm soooo encouraged whenever I hear somone has kicked the benzo!

:yippee: Thanks for bearing with my questions...I guess I'll just customize this taper and GO SLOW, asking for encouragement as I move along.  :thumbsup:

I have been taking 1 mg xanax for the past 6 days split up into 0.25 mg 4 times a day. Before I was all over with the dosage and when i was taking it never more then 1 mg that is the highest the last 6 days.I emailed Dr about starting to taper and she said to taper you should drop one of the 4 doses every 3 days starting with the first dose and ending with the last one.She said she does not understand how I am good one day and not the next and i have gotten ALOT better taking them at this schedule. She just keeps pushing the celexa and i do not want to take that just yet. I have been out of work since May and really have just been home alot not depressed though. I loved working and I am going back to the same place at the beach in March and i will be busy for 8 hours straight no time to think about my anxiety so I am hoping I will feel better then. Maybe I should not taper yet? Maybe I should do the taper how she says? Maybe I should take the celexa? I just dont know. I have also thought about going to another Dr that treats Anxiety not a GP. Thank you for your help all  >:(

hey juliea..

its like u have lots of experience in this..if u can just help me with this simple thing, i would really appreciate it..coz i just want it once and for all..

i did what every body recommended... " 0.25 4 times a day " im taking it every 4 hours. im still not sure if this is the appropriate timings for it..

shall i keep doing this for now?

if my body is doing ok,when shall i start tapering?

if i taper, which dose shall i start tapering and how,until what percentage? i will offcourse hold for 2 weeks in every taper..

Sami, I only dosed one time per day so I am not a good person to give advice about how to break up dosing.  I'd say to take the medicine in a way that helps you to feel the least between dose withdrawal.  I only took my Xanax for sleep so I've never suffered from interdose withdrawal.  I'd dose in a way that felt most comfortable to me if I were you.

Most people I know who are tapering multiple doses, taper alternating doses and never the same doses are reduced two times in a row.  I did not cut by percentages.  I cut by Mgs.

i got the 0.25 boxes now.. so its easier to cut to 0.125.. shall i also cut the 0.125 also later on?

If I were in your shoes, I would definitely NOT cut by .125mg.  I would only cut by .0625mg.  This would be one quarter of a .25mg.  Remember, you basically jumped down 4mg of Xanax in one day and have been in pretty rough shape.  Now you've held for 6-months.  I'd take the rest of my taper very slowly and only cut a quarter of a .25mg each taper period.  If I found this cut size too large, I'd only cut by one eighth of a .25mg.

im sorry im so confused and i have no idea about how to taper safely so i can have less symptoms after my last dose..

The thing that I would do to help me to step off of the benzo as easily as possibly is to taper by listening to my body.  I would not cut by the calendar.  I would cut by listening to my body.  I'd always wait for stabilization between cuts and be ready to cut smaller chunks of pill if my symptoms became unmanageable.

You can do this, Sami.  :thumbsup:

Hi Everyone,

Need some advise please.  I am dosing 6 times a day as follows (on liquid titration):

2 am =  0.067mg

6 am = 0.08 mg

10 am = 0.12 mg

2 pm = 0.12 mg

6 pm = 0.12 mg

10 pm = 0.12mg

I want to eliminate the night doses really bad.  Can I slowly add the 2 am dose to the 10 pm dose and also the 6 am dose to the 10 am dose and not cut?   

I would think so Kantu, I dry cut, but Ive split my dose into 2 doses a day, then went back to one with no noticable proble, so I dont see why you couldnt do it on a titration either... just dont be cutting while you do it...and give yourself time to settle a bit afterwards...

if it dont work for ya,, then slowly switch back...

Ive done it several times....

Hi everyone.  Just thought I'd check in.  I'm one of the cold-turkey folks, and this month has really sucked.

I'm having a lot of symptoms, the worst of which are severe depression, raging unrelenting tinnitus and dizziness/nausea.  It's 3:30 a.m. and I'm forcing myself to be awake....not sure why.  Maybe because the tinnitus is so bad i know if I try to sleep it could drive me insane.

Come to think of it though, I'm pretty damn tired so maybe some good sleep will help.

I'm just kind of hanging on emotionally.....no one in my family knows how badly depressed I am.  I feel almost nothing.  It's so strange.  I fake facial expressions but mostly I'm just completely apathetic.

Now I feel pathetic, not apathetic, so I'll say good night.  See ya tomorrow.

Cheers.

Hey guys.. hope everyone is doing well..

I split my 1mg dose into 4..taken every 4 hours.. it didn't really work for me..as my body is used to 0.5 wake up 0.5 night...

If that.. how do I taper?

Thanks..

Hey guys.. hope everyone is doing well..

I split my 1mg dose into 4..taken every 4 hours.. it didn't really work for me..as my body is used to 0.5 wake up 0.5 night...

If that.. how do I taper?

Thanks..

It doesn't matter how many doses a person takes to be comfortable, as far as tapering.  Tapering is always based upon the full daily dose, in my opinion.  Your full daily dose is 1mg.  I'd taper no more than .0625mg per taper period.  This is a quarter of a .25.  What most people do who take multiple doses is, they taper one dose one taper period and the next dose the next taper period in a round robin fashion until each dose is finally discontinued.  If at any time the .0625mg cut became unmanageable to me, I'd cut the .0625mg piece in half and taper .03125mg instead.

Mama, I'm so sorry that this month has been so rough for you.  You're so right about no one in our real lives getting how difficult this process is to live through for the person suffering.  All we can do is keep going until it's over.  And Mama, it will all be over and a distant memory someday.  I hope you feel better soon.  Here's a hug.  :hug:

I would think so Kantu, I dry cut, but Ive split my dose into 2 doses a day, then went back to one with no noticable proble, so I dont see why you couldnt do it on a titration either... just dont be cutting while you do it...and give yourself time to settle a bit afterwards...

if it dont work for ya,, then slowly switch back...

Ive done it several times....

Thanks Benzy.  The other issue I am having is that even a 1 ml cut becomes sensitive.  But Mama reminded me of all the symptoms I had that she is experiencing now, as I c/t also (about 1 year ago), so perhaps I need to give myself more time healing from the original c/t.  My main symptom is head pressure and am considering Amitryptiline - Juliea had taken it I beleive.

Yes Kantu, I did take Elavil for many years.  My neurologist prescribed this for nerve pain and to try to help prevent migraine headaches.  It's also supposed to help with sleep.  I didn't notice any effect on my sleep but it did help with pain.  It did have side effects though.  I had to carry water with me everywhere I went because the medicine dried out my mouth really bad.  It also caused awful constipation that I managed with a glass of Citrucel each morning.  I ct this med and had no withdrawal symptoms. 

Sad, struggling. Not sure how to know if I'm stable enough to begin taper. Seems my CNS is so fragile, the least thing still upsets it. Am I supposed to updose to make this better, stay where I am, or start tapering? I'm frightened that I can't seem to know what to do.

Finally gave in and took the 10 mg citlopram this am at 1045,I took my dose of xanax at 9 am I usually dose 4 times a day 0.25 mg emailed dr to ask if I should still do this with the cit an she says only take the xanax when I am anxious???!! Anybody have thoughts on this I thought the cut will make you more anxious this the xanax? Not sure where to go with this also kinda of scared of  taking them both thanks

Sad, struggling. Not sure how to know if I'm stable enough to begin taper. Seems my CNS is so fragile, the least thing still upsets it. Am I supposed to updose to make this better, stay where I am, or start tapering? I'm frightened that I can't seem to know what to do.

I know that on a lot of the support threads, (particularly the Valium thread), they routinely recommend up dosing to get stable prior to starting a taper.  I'm just not sure about this, VC.  I guess it's worth a shot, but what happens if the up dose does not work?  It will have to be tapered too.  I just wasn't willing to add more benzo when I wanted totally off of the benzo.  I'm so sorry that you find yourself in this situation.  I would do what I felt was best in this case.

Finally gave in and took the 10 mg citlopram this am at 1045,I took my dose of xanax at 9 am I usually dose 4 times a day 0.25 mg emailed dr to ask if I should still do this with the cit an she says only take the xanax when I am anxious???!! Anybody have thoughts on this I thought the cut will make you more anxious this the xanax? Not sure where to go with this also kinda of scared of  taking them both thanks

I'd ask about my Celexa on the Other Medications board.  Many people take Celexa and a benzo at the same time. I've also heard that these types of medications, (Celexa), can cause an increase in anxiety when first started. 

As I have stated on this thread to you before, taking a benzo 'as needed' can cause anxiety and a whole host of other problems and symptoms, because if a person is dependent upon Xanax, then when they don't take the medication regularly, among the withdrawal symptoms that can surface may be severe anxiety.  It sounds like your doctor truly does not understand benzo dependency --- if in fact you are dependent, (which I strongly suspect you are).

I'd take my Xanax regularly, (same dose every single day), get stable and dedicate myself to a sensible taper off if I were in your shoes. 

Juliea, thanks for responding. It's nearly impossible to know what is best, when feeling wrung out. I've done what made sense, as suggested here, to add two small daily doses to stabilize and keep it there 2-3 weeks. But given the dysregulation issues that don't heal overnight anyway, I don't know whether to move slowly with the taper - or keep tweaking doses. I don't know what the problem is, really. Seems like I'd not be the only one on BB with these issues, yet I've read and read until my eyeballs are aching. Last night I couldn't sleep for the revved up anxiety from reading so many stories. I want to be an encourager on the forum, not a drain...but I need support right now.

I come here for encouragement and gentle guidance. Not having slept (again) exacerbates symptoms, of course...so Im trying to bear that in mind. The doctor gave me enough xanax to taper - not updose (he's no help with a protocol - I came here for that like everyone else). I really don't want to updose...in case it's a mistake...yet others have, yet Ashton discouraged it. With mixed messages and my fear of being abandoned, not sure what to do. My family needs me - they're tired of hearing I'm not well. **tears**

VCharis,,, I was in tolerance when I started tapering,, I felt like $hit.....

you might not ever feel 100% good before you start...

if you arent having any major problems you might go ahead and try a little cut......

you might not ever feel well during this, although I felt better and better as I tapered, you might too..

its a scarey position to be in I know...

all you can do is try....

Sad, struggling. Not sure how to know if I'm stable enough to begin taper. Seems my CNS is so fragile, the least thing still upsets it. Am I supposed to up dose to make this better, stay where I am, or start tapering? I'm frightened that I can't seem to know what to do.

VCharis:

Stable means: you can handle the w/d symptoms. Everyone is different is this. You have to decide your level of

stabilization. I know its hard, but PNR dosing does not work for stabilization. I dosed  8 times a day, no kidding due to

the interdose w/d. It was my husbands strategy that worked for me. Then I got a huge pill dispenser, placed my compounded

Xanax of .0625mg there for the week, so I did not overthink this.

You are dosing :  .50 mg @ 10PM

.125mg @ 10AM

.125mg @  4 PM

Dose per 24 hrs  .75 mg

What about this:    .375 mg @ 10 PM

.125mg  @  4 AM

.125mg  @ 10 AM

.125mg  @[  ...]

Dose per 24 Hrs  .75 mg

The reasoning is due to Xanax short half life. If you even out your dose every 6 hours, with the largest at bedtime,

you should stabilize as you would reduce any interdose withdrawal. I understand wanting to dose at .50mg for

sleep issues. Was this why you took Xanax? IMO, dosing evenly throughout the day is VERY important, regardless

of the Benzo. Your system could be going up and down, which in itself creates its own sx.

You then will need to stabilize on this continuous dosing until you feel stable.

IMO, Take your time, VCharis. It will happen for you.

Thoughts to you :smitten:

NFM :angel:

VCharis,,, I was in tolerance when I started tapering,, I felt like $hit.....

you might not ever feel 100% good before you start...

if you arent having any major problems you might go ahead and try a little cut......

you might not ever feel well during this, although I felt better and better as I tapered, you might too..

its a scarey position to be in I know...

all you can do is try....

Thank you, Benzy. I was just wondering about tolerance last night. I appreciate your input - everything helps. Yesterday I fell into a dark hole but today I'm ready to try again. Thanks, friend.

Sad, struggling. Not sure how to know if I'm stable enough to begin taper. Seems my CNS is so fragile, the least thing still upsets it. Am I supposed to up dose to make this better, stay where I am, or start tapering? I'm frightened that I can't seem to know what to do.

VCharis:

Stable means: you can handle the w/d symptoms. Everyone is different is this. You have to decide your level of

stabilization. I know its hard, but PNR dosing does not work for stabilization. I dosed  8 times a day, no kidding due to

the interdose w/d. It was my husbands strategy that worked for me. Then I got a huge pill dispenser, placed my compounded

Xanax of .0625mg there for the week, so I did not overthink this.

You are dosing :  .50 mg @ 10PM

.125mg @ 10AM

.125mg @  4 PM

Dose per 24 hrs  .75 mg

What about this:    .375 mg @ 10 PM

.125mg  @  4 AM

.125mg  @ 10 AM

.125mg  @[  ...]

Dose per 24 Hrs  .75 mg

The reasoning is due to Xanax short half life. If you even out your dose every 6 hours, with the largest at bedtime, you should stabilize as you would reduce any interdose withdrawal. I understand wanting to dose at .50mg for  sleep issues. Was this why you took Xanax? IMO, dosing evenly throughout the day is VERY important, regardless of the Benzo. Your system could be going up and down, which in itself creates its own sx. You then will need to stabilize on this continuous dosing until you feel stable.

IMO, Take your time, VCharis. It will happen for you.

Thoughts to you :smitten:

NFM :angel:

NFM, thanks for making it so clear/simple even my brain can understand!  :thumbsup:

Yeah, I stopped PRN dosing in January. That was wrecking me.

Last night I realized that going from 10pm - 10am is much too long. Took my AM xanax earlier (8am) this morning. That tweak alone might help, I dunno. Wish I'd read your note first. Would love to go 4 x daily but need to sleep through the night since I'm so sleep deprived, waking all hours, and rarely drift back to sleep.

Will tweaking my schedule cause a problem? Seems if I'm bringing my doses closer together, it could only help.

How do I arrive at 0.375? Maybe titrating would make this easier?

Yes, taking Xanax (alprazolam) for help w/sleep since coming off Seroquel (12.5-25) last year. Should've kicked the benzo first. Xanax originally prescribed for anxiety/depression. Ironically, xanax makes you anxious and depressed.

One issue: I set my alarm for 6 am for thyroid hormone replacement but end up taking it earlier since I tend to wake up too early. Can't take thyroid close to other meds/supps; it hinders absorption. Gotta find a way to work around this. So wondering if going 8 hours will be a problem for me.

Thank you for responding/helping... :smitten:

So VCharis, at what time did you decide to take your thyroid replacement?  I take mine in the evening with everything else I take.  Did not even realize that taking it with other meds might "hinder absorption".  Would be interested to know what you decided to do with the thyroid replacement.  I currently take 1 mg xanax around noon and take my thyroid meds and cholesterol at bedtime....however, I am thinking of splitting up my 1 mg to 2 to 3 times a day, instead of taking the whole mg at noon. 

AKAJT, i've always taken my thyroid meds early in the morning - an hour before b'fast, and 4 hours from any minerals/supps. Lately taking at 6 am, but if I wake up at 5, I'll go ahead and take it then and try to go back to sleep (difficult to drift back to sleep, though). I've heard of people taking their thyroid at night, though. The prescription label on your Synthroid should mention what minerals/supps/meds to avoid at the same time, and your doctor should also know, but you might also google about this. With no thyroid, I can't afford to lose absorption since my body is already not converting well. 

I'm still trying to work out my xanax dosing schedule. The general consensus is, there are less w/d interdose symptoms when spread out throughout the day. But there are people here who tapered off from only one daily dose...like Benzy and Juliea. Maybe they'll weigh in.

VC

Thanks for the info.  I am now tapering off alcohol first.  But I would like to have a plan in place so I can wrap my head around it.  I appreciate the info.