Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

XANAX Support Blog: If you're tapering Xanax/alprazolam, join in the discussion!

[mr...]

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Be...]

• [mr...]

• [Ra...]

• [VC...]

Top Posters In This Topic

well sorry HIH, I dunno where everyone is... I was out in the field with dirty hands and my phone..

I dunno if you cutting .0125 mgs just once would cause a problem so quick, like in one day... maybe thats just mental..?

anyway, in a nutshell, you need to "stabilize" first before doing anything...

then, if you wanna taper by dry cutting, you can divide a .25 into 1/4ths,,, and leave out a little 1/4th at a time,,, thats .0625 mgs....thats what most here do when dry cutting....

stabilize at least 14 days before considering your next cut...

if you wanna dry cut, thats easy enough, if you cant handle it for some reason, you can study up on titrations... :thumbsup:

more people will be around surely,,,,read up, but DONT absorb the horror stories on here, everyones different, remember that,,,,,you might not have any problems at all tapering, for the most part, I havent...

Thanks so much for the reply. The symptoms that I am having are physical symptoms, definitely not mental or so I think. The dizziness is the most alarming to me and causes me anxiety but so far I've been able to push through it. I'm going to stick with my current taper for a couple weeks before adjusting it again. My doc wants to taper way to fast. Thanks for being here for me!  :)

I recommend tapering off your husband at a rate of 100 % in one day... cold turkey :tickedoff:

Unfortunately I have to deal with this situation right now. Obviously his attitude does not contribute to my healing.  :'(

Thanks for your note anyway. This is exactly what I would like to do. I think tapering off benzos and my husband at the same time would be too much.

Thanks a lot to all of you for your responses. I am praying for the best outcome of my xanax taper. I feel like my memory and cognitive state started to deteriorate dramatically since I was put on xanax. When I am starting a sentence I stop in the middle of it and not able to finish it forgetting right away what I was going to say. I am not sure if this the side effect of xanax, tolerance or combination of depression and anxiety/sleep deprivation for about a year.

Anybody had similar experience on xanax. I am so scared of my brain being damaged by xanax. Just a year ago while dealing with multiple withdrawal sxs after being for 1 year off clorazepate I was able to memorize and process very complex technical and scientific information. Now I am complete disaster. It takes me so long to create this short message. I guess thinking about it contributes to increased anxiety. Some days I feel I will never feel and function normal again.

I recommend tapering off your husband at a rate of 100 % in one day... cold turkey :tickedoff:

Unfortunately I have to deal with this situation right now. Obviously his attitude does not contribute to my healing.  :'(

Thanks for your note anyway. This is exactly what I would like to do. I think tapering off benzos and my husband at the same time would be too much.

Hi Jacky, welcome to the group. Just caught your note and feel so much empathy for what you're experiencing. It's hard when spouses or our own grown children or friends are not supportive/understanding when we need them most. I'm living with a fair amount of callous responses to my own health issues and yet convinced I will make my healing a priority anyway. You have tons of support right here.  :smitten: Last night I finally slept enough "collected" hours to feel like maybe I wasn't going crazy after all. You're gonna make it. Somehow we manage to survive the emotional assaults from those who just don't know better, and come out on the other side as survivors. Lots of success stories on this site. Hope to encourage you. Saying a prayer for you today.... :smitten:

VCharis

Thanks so much for the moral support I am getting from all of you.  :smitten:

BBs became a place of hope for me. I basically lost all of my friends due to my illness. The time of hardship/illness really proofs who is the real friend to you. I am trying to accept it as a fact of life. Nobody wants to deal with sick people for whatever reason, especially if it is a mental condition. Everybody tries to stay away from you. They start behaving like it is contagious condition. At first it was upsetting to me, now I am getting used to it.

I am so happy that I found BB forum. :) I think it works better than psychotherapy. I guess I had no luck to find a good psychotherapist who would understand exactly what I was/am going through. I do not blame them for that, because the only way to understand what we all dealing with is to go through this experience. In my opinion this is the only way to fully understand what kind of physical and emotional damage benzos and other psychotropic drugs can do to the human body, mind, and soul.

I called this morning to my only friend at this point. She is still supporting me in some way (probably because her daughter is on antidepressants for about 10 years, but still functioning, holds the job) This girl was first prescribed antidepressants while in college. I was trying to convince my friend to talk to her daughter about getting off antidepressants asap until it is not too late after reading about antidepressants and their addictive nature and side effects. I tried to explain to her that a lot of people get started on antidepressants and eventually end up on benzos or the other way around. I used myself as an example. I hope my efforts will help and she and her husband  will start do something about it. The most distracting thing for me is that their daughter is psychotherapist and is treating people with variety of mental issues including benzo users. :tickedoff:

Jacky2007,

I'm heading into work shortly, but I am a Xanax water titrater as well, and here's the math:

0.5mg into 100mL water, w/ 0.5mL daily reduction:

0.5mL / 100mL = 0.0025mg & 0.5% daily reduction

0.5% x 7 days = 3.5% weekly reduction

3.5% x 4 weeks = 14% monthly reduction

I think getting off Xanax first is wise, since your other benzo has a longer half life. Keep in mind that the further you move down in reduction, the bigger % that 0.5mL reduction becomes, because your daily dose also reduces over time. So you may need to slow down a bit as you get lower, but you'll know that later on if you need to :) Also, treat your switching from dry to liquid as a "cut" and stabilize on it for 7-10 before reducing your dose -- I wouldn't advise beginning to drop the same day you switch to liquid, okay?

I'm leaving for work; you'll do great! :thumbsup:

Mrs. :smitten:

Hi Mrsalw,

I understood your math of calculating the percentage of daily, weekly, and monthly reduction. I also get the part about the need to slow down as I get to the lower dose. But I am confused about how practically to figure out later in the process while I continue tapering at what dose in Mgs I am at certain point?.

Another confusion is about how much to drink and how much to discard every day after I prepare my daily water/xanax mixture.

I am afraid I sound absolutely stupid. But I would like to prepare my entire daily tapering plan in advance. Reading about severe w/d sxs people have while tapering (depression, anxiety, insomnia, endless list of physical sxs), I am afraid I would not be able to do any kind of math, adjustments to the plan, etc. with my history of multiple reinstatements and current state of not fully stable (I think I am in tolerance state right now specifically tolerance to clorazepate 15 mg), sleep deprived, not being able to focus and make important decisions and I already familiar how bad these w/d sxs can be and experienced a lot of them.

I spent a lot of time looking for the solution such as developing some kind of spreadsheet to make my life more manageable during my daily water taper by avoiding frustration caused by mental limitations due w/d . Could not do it myself, but I think I got lucky and

came across the website www.benzosupport.org.

The support group is not longer active, but they are also using the ashton method with the exception of preparing benzo mixture in 250 ml of water. 

Probably it is a good way for me to go because they have sample plans for different meds including xanax 0.5 mg at different rates of titration (slow medium fast). These plans include how much to drink and how much to discard every day. The spreadsheets are designed so the users can play with different numbers (doses, rates of titration, etc) and come up with how long it would take to taper).

I hope you can help me with understanding the information on the website and evaluate its usefulness.

There is a list of water tapering plans on the site  in excel format  There is also a Power point description of how to read the excel spreadsheet. 

I would appreciate if you take a look at this website. Hopefully their plans could be used not only by me, but by some other BBMs who are looking to do direct daily water tapering and are struggling with developing their daily water tapering plan.

Could you please clarify for me the following for my xanax 0.5 mg slow rate plan: 

at certain point toward the end of tapering the column called 2wk % drop of Valium starts increasing above 10% and at the very end it reaches above 50% even at slow rate of 1. 

The Power Point presentation suggest that the 2 wk% drop of Valium should not exceed 10% during tapering.

Does this means I can't use this plan to get off 0.5mg of Xanax even though all other criteria described in Power Point meet the definitions of safe tapering (such as 2wk Valium drop 1 mg or less, daily % drop of Xanax not greater than 1%, etc).

Could you please explain to me how important it is that 2wk % drop of Valium not to exceed 10%. Does it mean that withdrawal symptoms will be extremely increased. 

I truly do not understand the connection of my pretty small dose of Xanax(0.5 mg ) and this column describing the Valium. The spreadsheet looks like as designed for direct tapering off certain benzo meds using water tapering method. So it is not a substitution plan using Valium.

I would greatly appreciate your response.  I desperately need help with this process. I feel this drug is killing me and ruining my life. Here are more specific links to the spreadsheets, sample plans and Power point descriptions of how to interpret columns on the spreadsheets.

http://www.benzosupport.org/the_spreadsheet.htm

http://www.benzosupport.org/the_schedules.htm

Unfortunately the e-mail address on the website to address any questions about website is not valid any more. So I hope to get your feedback about it as well as from other BBMs who are using daily water tapering. I welcome any ideas and thoughts about usefulness of this site. If xanax support group member come to the conclusion that this is a good source for daily water taperers, then we can suggest it to other BBMs who are on other benzos. This would be great :thumbsup:

Mrs. & Jacky - I'm interested in this taper info as well, as I'm trying to get myself mentally prepared. Before I joined BB, someone had suggested to use 300ml for a 10 month taper, drawing off 1 ml per day. Not sure I can wrap my head around it tonight, but following this discussion with Jacky's questions.

When you have time, I'd also like to review the dry-cut method for my particular dosing schedule and see how it compares. Guess my main question is, if I had interdose withdrawal from taking just one daily bedtime dose, how do I not experience interdose w/d again once I eliminate the two tiny daytime doses? Or maybe my thinking is still loopy?  :crazy:

Thanks!  :smitten:

VCharis

Jacky2007,

I'm heading into work shortly, but I am a Xanax water titrater as well, and here's the math:

0.5mg into 100mL water, w/ 0.5mL daily reduction:

0.5mL / 100mL = 0.0025mg & 0.5% daily reduction

0.5% x 7 days = 3.5% weekly reduction

3.5% x 4 weeks = 14% monthly reduction

I think getting off Xanax first is wise, since your other benzo has a longer half life. Keep in mind that the further you move down in reduction, the bigger % that 0.5mL reduction becomes, because your daily dose also reduces over time. So you may need to slow down a bit as you get lower, but you'll know that later on if you need to :) Also, treat your switching from dry to liquid as a "cut" and stabilize on it for 7-10 before reducing your dose -- I wouldn't advise beginning to drop the same day you switch to liquid, okay?

I'm leaving for work; you'll do great! :thumbsup:

What should I do for 3mg? Can you help me come up with a beginning titration plan?

Hi all,

I would love to help each of you individually, but I am not in a position to "mentor" on water titration at this stage of my taper.

There are a few buddies on this forum who have, or are currently, successfully water tapering and may be able to offer insights: Hopefulgirl, Carita, and Fluterbyee. If you PM them or call upon them on here, they may be able to help. There is also the Taper section on this website that you can post questions about tapering plans :)

My apologies, but I must know my limits :) I do not want to overcommit myself and underdeliver to any of you. I am sure you will receive sound advice from any of the resources I've mentioned :)

Hello All,

My boyfriend suffers from GAD and was prescribed xanax.  He's been taking xanax for the past 4 and a half years. His dose was .5mg ( whenever he felt any anxiety ) , soon enough his dose winded up to be 5mg throughout the whole day ( 10 pills of .5 spread throughout the day ). He managed to go back to a dose of 1mg a day ( .5 when he wakes up and .5 before he goes to bed ) this has been his dose for the past 6 months.

He has his ups and downs, now he really wants to stop taking Xanax. I try to keep him as positive as possible , but negative thoughts keep creeping in ( i truly understand its one of the side effects of the drug ) .. I'm trying to get him to eat , sleep and drink plenty of water. His sleeping patterns are off the chart, xanax would help him sleep sometimes , but some days it won't do anything and just gives him nightmares.

We  have 2 plans for him to start tapering off ( which do you think will work best).

Since his dose is .5 mg ( when he wakes up ) .5 mg ( before he sleeps)

Split the 2 doses into 3 :

* .25mg when he wakes up

*. .25mg throughout the day

*. .50mg before he sleeps

First he'll get his body adjusted to that then :

he can start tapering off the .25mg thats throughout the day for a week or two  taper off the .25mg in the morning a week or two later, and then .25mg before he sleeps and hopefully a week or 2 later cuts it off completely. ( Now the time span between the tapering all depends on the capability of his body adjusting , we don't want him to taper fast)

OR

Split the 2 doses into 4:

* .25mg when he wakes up

* .25mg throughout the day

* .25mg throughout the day

* .25mg before he sleeps

First he'll get his body adjusted to that then :

He'll start eliminating one of the .25mg throughout the day, a week or two later taper off the 2nd .25mg throughout the day, a week or two later taper off the .25mg when he wakes up, and last but not least a week or two later cut off xanax completely. ( Definitely the time span all depends how his body is adjusting )

He has different symptoms such as :

1. Hallucination that lasts a couple of seconds ( only happened yesterday after he was reading about the different symptoms he might experience throughout the withdrawal period , and what scared him the most is the chance of having a seizure )

2. Trouble breathing

3. Dizziness

4. A burning sensation that rises from his stomach to his chest

5. Muscle Jerks

6. Headaches

7. Fear of the Unknown

He's had many more before, but those are the ones hes been having recently

What can i do to support him? How can i ease out his symptoms ? What Worked for you guys ?

I Appreciate all the help i can get  :)

Modify message

Welcome to the Xanax thread.  I've given you several responses to your other thread, so I won't repeat myself. 

He'll start eliminating one of the .25mg throughout the day, a week or two later taper off the 2nd .25mg throughout the day, a week or two later taper off the .25mg when he wakes up, and last but not least a week or two later cut off xanax completely. ( Definitely the time span all depends how his body is adjusting

I don't believe a person on this thread would recommended .25mg cuts in dosage, from 1mg to zero.  This amounts to a 25% cut.  If your boyfriend did cuts in these high percentages to get from 5mg to 1mg, this is could be the reason he is in such rough shape.  As I mentioned on the other thread, I tapered off no more than a quarter of a .25mg, (.0625mg), every taper period.  Some people must go even slower than I did to help keep their withdrawal symptoms manageable.

Not only he is going to need your support during this process, but you might like to connect with some other caregivers.  We have a thread for people supporting others through withdrawal.  I will get you the link.

Your boyfriend is so lucky to have you in his life, Ghazel.  :hug:

if someones already having those symptoms, cutting .25 is way too much of a cut, I wouldnt cut over .0625 at a time, and I would sit there atleast 2 to 3 weeks before considering a cut..

sounds like he put himself in withdrawals already by dropping from the 5 mgs down to 1.....

I dunno what to do about that.. you're suppose to be "stable" before starting a taper (hopefully)

does he think he feels stable?

Have you read the Ashton Manual?

or looked at the titration threads,, titration seems to be a bit easier on you if you already are in a tricky situation, I dunno  personally, I dry cut....

others will come along shortly,, maybe, its been slow here this week...

What is the titration method ? I have read the ashton manual and we discussed it , but he doesn't want to go to switch to a different benzo.

He is stable its just been a rough couple of days, the tapering off from 5mg to 1mg was super fast he felt nothing up until 2 weeks later were it all went down, but for the past couple of months hes been doing great . his body is used to the 1mg

Hey Juliea ,

Thanks for the support thread.

The least i could do is support him , he's a great guy and i hate seeing him this way.

I just want to know about the different symptoms ppl had and what could help ease them down , i need to know how to react and what will be the proper thing to do at the time ...

I had way over 40 symptoms, the last I counted.  My main one's were related to pain.  Muscle and joint pain, headaches, and feeling pain all over my body.  Withdrawal for me felt like the worst hangover imaginable, that lasted 9 months. 

Titration is when the Xanax is mixed with water and a tiny bit is drawn off of the dose on a daily basis.  There is a YouTube clip in this thread:  http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=38939.0

Except, in this clip full fat milk is recommended because the person is titrating with Klonopin.  Klonopin actually dissolves in full fat milk, but Xanax does not dissolve in any readily available liquid and this includes drinking alcohol.  The best liquid to titrate Xanax with is water, in my opinion.  When Xanax is mixed with water, this forms a dispersion - not a solution.  But we've had several buddies have good success with titration.

Mrs, youre a party pooper :P

What can I say?  Those dang boots have been keepin' me busy...

:laugh: :laugh:

Wish me a happy birthday, BTW!! I'm 32 years young today! :happybday::balloon:

I couldn't find my way back here til just now....whew! I get lost sometimes. Once was lost, but now I'm found!  :laugh:

Awwww, Mrs!! Happy 32nd birthday! Now go do some celebrating!! All weekend long, too!  :happybday:

(oh to be 32 again... :yippee: )

Mrs, youre a party pooper :P

What can I say?  Those dang boots have been keepin' me busy...

:laugh: :laugh:

Happy Birthday mrsalw!  32 years?  You're just a young'un!  :laugh:  Enjoy your special day!

:smitten:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [do...]
    • [Pi...]
    • [En...]
    • [de...]
    • [Li...]
    • [le...]
    • [...]
    • [On...]
    • [An...]
    • [ra...]