Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

XANAX Support Blog: If you're tapering Xanax/alprazolam, join in the discussion!

[mr...]

Thank you for your replies. What you both have said is exactly what I am thinking. Should I Maybe find a new Dr? or see a different kind of Dr not a family Dr? I am totally against the Celexa and she is all for it. I have noticed tho when those 5.5 hours have gone by i am getting nervous until I take the 0.25 mg and then I am fine foe the rest of the night,so I do believe it is the Xanax now how do i free my self from all this,when I get nervous as soon as the 0.5 mg wears off this Dr is only going to say i have done this for 20 years i know what I am doing take the celexa and I am also afraid she will not refill the xanax if i don't take the celexa. So If i am trying to get off the xanax I might not have time to as she says just take it PRN. UHG I have a family to take care of and I go back to work in March I cannot be a nervous mess all the time and on edge and moody i cannot even stand to hear my family talk sometimes so maybe I do need something else I just don't know. Should I go see someone else is there something else I can take for my nerves besides a SSRI or Benzo? I am also dealing with pinched neck nerves and arthritis and bulging disk in my neck,that Dr gave me a muscle relaxer and anti inflammatory to take so many pills. Anyway how do i get off the xanax to see if that is it at this does without being sick and nervous? thank you all so much just not sure where to turn other then knowing the xanax is the only thing that helps at this time anyway  :(

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Be...]

• [mr...]

• [Ra...]

• [VC...]

Top Posters In This Topic

My doctor handed me a white paper bag filled with SSRI samples every time I came for an appointment.  I never took any of them after my bout with Celexa.  If it were me, I'd accept the prescription for Celexa if she's tying it to refills of Xanax…but I wouldn't take it.  If you like your doctor otherwise I wouldn't look for a new one.  Most doctors are going to prescribe as your doctor does.  Doctors only know what they're taught and the pharmaceutical companies sponsor the medical schools.  ;) 

That is what I was thinking. I will just get the prescription but not take it but what would you suggest a good schedule to get of the Xanax SLOWLY like i said I take .75 a day 0.5 mg in the am and then 0.25 at noon. I really believe that is what the problem is as of now. thank you again you all are alot of help  ;D

That is what I was thinking. I will just get the prescription but not take it but what would you suggest a good schedule to get of the Xanax SLOWLY like i said I take .75 a day 0.5 mg in the am and then 0.25 at noon. I really believe that is what the problem is as of now. thank you again you all are alot of help  ;D

I kind of feel the need to say something, and am sorry Challis, I do not mean any offense.

I do not know your case, and am not doctor, so I don't know what you should be taking.  That said, I struggled with depression, and anxiety for 10 years, and was scared to take an SSRI because of all the horror stories I read online.  Finally, it got to be too much and I decided to give an SSRI a try at a small dose.  It made a world of difference, and I finally felt no depression, or anxiety. I wished I had tried it 10 years earlier.

Again, I have no idea if you need it.  But, it can be very beneficial to help reduce the perception of stress, anxiety, and depression in some people.  Idon't think it's going to touch benzo withdrawal anxiety though.

I am not sure if it is inter dose withdraw the Dr says no way. I can say this my dad's side of the family all his sisters and brothers 7 of them all had nervousness real bad. So I am wondering maybe if it is just hereditary since I have nothing going on in my life that has brought it on at all nothing. I have went back and forth with this Celexa thing i have it sitting by my bed and keep saying i am going to try it tonight and I dont,I just want to feel better for once in 6 months. As I said i will be going back to work and would love for this all to be good at that time. Dr told me to try it for a month and see how I feel,well if i feel like crap I dont want to have trouble getting off that also. Just dont know what to do thanks all ;D

I am not sure if it is inter dose withdraw the Dr says no way. I can say this my dad's side of the family all his sisters and brothers 7 of them all had nervousness real bad. So I am wondering maybe if it is just hereditary since I have nothing going on in my life that has brought it on at all nothing. I have went back and forth with this Celexa thing i have it sitting by my bed and keep saying i am going to try it tonight and I dont,I just want to feel better for once in 6 months. As I said i will be going back to work and would love for this all to be good at that time. Dr told me to try it for a month and see how I feel,well if i feel like crap I dont want to have trouble getting off that also. Just dont know what to do thanks all ;D

Like I said earlier, I don't know if you need it or not, as I am not a doctor.  I don't want to give you advice, but I will elaborate a little on my experience with SSRI's.

Like I said earlier, I was petrified to try one because of all the bad stories I read online.  When I did decide I needed to give it a shot, I started at a tiny dose.  I expressed to my doctor that I was scared of potential side effects, and that I didn't want to deal with a lot of SSRI withdrawal symptoms if it didn't work.  My doctor said that he uses a very small dose on some patients to help reduce  side effects (but still help depression), and that getting the dose correct is important.  Typically Lexapro is given at 10-20mg.  My doctor started me on 2.5mg, and figured it wouldn't be hard to get off that dose if it didn't work.  I felt an improvement.  We went up to 5mg, and I felt no depression or anxiety.  We then tried 10mg, and it actually started causing me some anxiety, so I went back down to 5mg and felt good. 

My sister was having bad depression, and started taking 10mg, but then had to go up to 20mg.  There is a night and day difference in her, but personally I couldn't be on that high of a dose or would feel a lot of anxiety.  Everbody's different imo.  Some people are benefited by small doses of SSRI's.  Some people need larger doses.  Some people don't get a benefit from SSRI's unfortunately.  I do think they have a place though, and can be very effective for certain individuals. 

Again, no idea if you need it or not.  I don't mean to step on any toes of people that did not benefit from an SSRI.  But, I can at least attest to it being beneficial for me, and glad I gave it a shot.

Hello there and welcome, LibertyMcFreedom. I'm fairly new myself (2 wks I think).

Thank you much, VC. Welcome back, fellow newbie. :)

Yep, your Xanax experience seems truly ironic to me, anyway. I never took it as originally prescribed (0.5 mg 3 x daily) ...much less dose, less frequently - sometimes skipping altogether....which is probably what wrecked my system. Just waiting to get to a place  soon where I can begin tapering. I never did have a love affair with xanax. It served a purpose at one time but even when I asked my doctor to help me off the stuff - he said "just stop taking it when you're ready."

Wow, not sure about that doctor of yours. Unlike you, I do have a huge love affair with Xanax. Just abruptly stop taking it after you had been on it for awhile seems ill-advised, to say the least. One thing I'm learning is there are a lot of really....misinformed doctors. Trying to find a delicate word but misinformed works.

A slow taper is the way to go - don't spend too much time reading the worst-case-scenarios.

Great advice. I have my head buried in all the worst-case-scenarios. What's worse for me is I naturally have a tremor. Nothing to do with Xanax, I'm just lucky that I have tremor DNA in my family. Anyway, I'm used to it but, still, the little bit of shaking and I'm convinced a five-alarm, massive grand-mal seizure is taking over.  I'm a nutball that like to torture myself basically.

:)

Like I said earlier, I don't know if you need it or not, as I am not a doctor.  I don't want to give you advice, but I will elaborate a little on my experience with SSRI's.

Like I said earlier, I was petrified to try one because of all the bad stories I read online.  When I did decide I needed to give it a shot, I started at a tiny dose.  I expressed to my doctor that I was scared of potential side effects, and that I didn't want to deal with a lot of SSRI withdrawal symptoms if it didn't work.  My doctor said that he uses a very small dose on some patients to help reduce  side effects (but still help depression), and that getting the dose correct is important.  Typically Lexapro is given at 10-20mg.  My doctor started me on 2.5mg, and figured it wouldn't be hard to get off that dose if it didn't work.  I felt an improvement.  We went up to 5mg, and I felt no depression or anxiety.  We then tried 10mg, and it actually started causing me some anxiety, so I went back down to 5mg and felt good. 

My sister was having bad depression, and started taking 10mg, but then had to go up to 20mg.  There is a night and day difference in her, but personally I couldn't be on that high of a dose or would feel a lot of anxiety.  Everbody's different imo.  Some people are benefited by small doses of SSRI's.  Some people need larger doses.  Some people don't get a benefit from SSRI's unfortunately.  I do think they have a place though, and can be very effective for certain individuals. 

Again, no idea if you need it or not.  I don't mean to step on any toes of people that did not benefit from an SSRI.  But, I can at least attest to it being beneficial for me, and glad I gave it a shot.

Not to butt in but I think that's key, what you just said. We are all on our own journeys and different paths of healing.  One isn't better than another. I know many people who have benefited like you have by SSRI's. They didn't work for me but am glad they do for you and others.

Damn, I never thought I'd say this, but the new tricyclic med Remeron seems to make me feel better. I'm on 15 mg now and it has horrible (I mean *horrible*) side effects, but I don't get the blues as often. I've also semi-successfully paced my Xanax dosing evenly.

However, none of this is gonna get me a job and I worry myself sick I might lapse into the blues again. I fear I might be forced to up my Xanax dosing to calm my frayed nerves. No doctor has a prescription for this type of malady.

Marley, if you need the Celexa take it, if it doesnt cause you any problems anyway...

My Dr gave me some, he said it would help with my tapering and withdrawal.... I didnt take it because I have a history of not being able to take any of those kinds of drugs... or I would had...

I did take Paxil for 10+ years, and I loved it,, until it quit working for me..just dont take it too long..

G'mornin' everyone. Just really feeling sick here. Woke up at 3:30 am and still awake. Supposed to see my new doc for thyroid test results today...they're bad, I already know. Almost feel trembly inside from lack of sleep, and last night suffered through several huge family upsets where I was crying/sobbing uncontrollably. I know there's nothing anyone here can do, but I'm so sick of being sick...and scared. Gonna see if the doc will prescribe 0.25 xanax to make my tapering easier when it's time. If I don't sleep tonight I don't know what I'll do.

G'mornin' everyone. Just really feeling sick here. Woke up at 3:30 am and still awake. Supposed to see my new doc for thyroid test results today...they're bad, I already know. Almost feel trembly inside from lack of sleep, and last night suffered through several huge family upsets where I was crying/sobbing uncontrollably. I know there's nothing anyone here can do, but I'm so sick of being sick...and scared. Gonna see if the doc will prescribe 0.25 xanax to make my tapering easier when it's time. If I don't sleep tonight I don't know what I'll do.

Honey, don't get ahead of yourself ;) You'll sleep tonight. Even if its a bit choppy & such, you'll get some sleep. Remember to have patience & peace with the nights where its a bit off for sleep. Sleep will come :)

Devoted self-care today ;) Recover yourself, okay? :) You're going to be just fine :)

Mrs. :smitten:

Honey, don't get ahead of yourself ;) You'll sleep tonight. Even if its a bit choppy & such, you'll get some sleep. Remember to have patience & peace with the nights where its a bit off for sleep. Sleep will come :)

Devoted self-care today ;) Recover yourself, okay? :) You're going to be just fine :)

Mrs is right. Sleep will return. Trust me from someone who has been where you are at. It feels so awful to not sleep it is easy to chatastrophize it. I always tell myself " you may feel bad today but you aren't going to die from a bad night's sleep." Be extra gentle to yourself today.

Hopefulgirl

Hi everyone. First time here. I'm benzo free for 12 weeks and Xanax ruined my life. Was given Valium to help vertigo and when that started depressing me and making me anxious I was prescribed Xanax. What I wouldn't give to have never taken either. I have had some windows, but these recent waves are horrible. Terrible insomnia, anxiety, and headaches. I don't drink any alcohol, don't smoke, no caffeine, drink only water and nothing is helping.  I am still baffled why doctors don't recognize tolerance withdrawal, but instead just up doses. I'm so sick today, sorry for the ranting.

And when I told my psych to shove all the Remeron pills up his whatever, he gave me a book called 'Feeling Good' by David Burns. He said I'll be cured of all addictions and anxieties by following the steps listed in that book, even my Xanax addiction. If only a book can cure, why do we need all these docs..wondering..or prolly he doesn't really want to see my face for a while.

hang in there Purplelgirl, if nothing else, atleast youre off the benzos and on the way to healing now, wheither it feels like it today or not....you're abou3 months off?

Hi Benzy!  Yes, I'm 12 weeks off tomorrow, but it feels like it did at 2 weeks off. I appreciate your encouragement. This has been the worst and hardest thing I've ever had to do. Trying to be strong, but today is a bad day. Crying all day. I used to be so happy and cheery. Don't know how this happens to people even when they do exactly as their doctors suggest. I'm trying to hang in. Thanks for the support. Hope you are doing well! 

Oh, I just cringed at the thought of how hard it is to deal with family issues and stress while we're going through this.  My heart goes out to you.  For me, after I cry, while it is good and supposedly "cleansing" at times, I still feel worse because my eyes hurt, my nose is horribly congested, everything is swollen and I feel hungover emotionally.  Plus, upsets are just plain upsetting to our entire bodies.  "Upset" is a fitting word.

Many of us have experienced this, so just press on and don't get down on yourself for not being the beacon of emotional stability right now!

And when I told my psych to shove all the Remeron pills up his whatever, he gave me a book called 'Feeling Good' by David Burns. He said I'll be cured of all addictions and anxieties by following the steps listed in that book, even my Xanax addiction. If only a book can cure, why do we need all these docs..wondering..or prolly he doesn't really want to see my face for a while.

Our bodies, it seems, change after on Xanax. There's no question on that. How is a book going to change what has been altered?  Dumb doc.

All that said, Feeling Good is one of my favorite books.  It's not going to cure my addiction or help me taper but it does give me a great, healthy perspective on life. One when I feel in control again.  So...must say, fan of that book.

Hi all. Appreciate the kind words and encouragement today. Wish I had energy to write you each individually, but I've had BP & adrenaline surges all day long...nonstop...my ears and head feel warm, headache, can't eat, and still weak and trembly. I don't even feel like watching TV or doing email just yet. Constant flood of adrenaline. Woke up feeling wrung out and nauseous after last night's family upsets - I'm sure my adrenals took a whack. 

Sleep was a big issue all last year, and the reason I kept going back to xanax, if you recall. I can't function on no sleep. I'm seriously in a bad way tonight...filled with fear and dread and tired of having no energy or zeal. I'm not trying to borrow trouble - this is how it feels. Doctor went over my thyroid labs; T3 and FT3 are below range, and this greatly affects brain function and everything else.... so he gave me a script but won't be overseeing my care - and I'm back to square one on needing a doctor. Not even sure I feel good about switching thyroid meds without a doctor in place. Can't find anyone able/willing to address  adrenals/thyroid/autonomic stuff. It's been a couple years of searching for the right doc. Feel completely abandoned by certain family members and the medical community. Hate to talk bad about doctors because they are certainly needed in many cases, and surely there are good ones out there,  but this is too much for me to bear tonight. I need to feel someone's my advocate, medically speaking, and I don't think there IS any such animal out there. Sorry to dump. I need to get this BP down. At least the doctor said my heart sounded okay. Thanks for letting me cry on your shoulder.

Mrs is right. Sleep will return. Trust me from someone who has been where you are at. It feels so awful to not sleep it is easy to chatastrophize it. I always tell myself " you may feel bad today but you aren't going to die from a bad night's sleep." Be extra gentle to yourself today.

Hopefulgirl

When I don't sleep, the adrenaline surges won't stop the whole day after....and it's making me sick. It's more than being tired...it's freaking me the hell out. It's not good for our organs to get flooded nonstop with adrenaline like that...just pray tonight goes better and my system calms down. Thanks.

V, my heart is just breaking for you.  I know how it is with no sleep, I'm one of those too.  No sleep for a several nights in a row, toss in some stress and I'm a total mess.  I pray that you will be able to find a doc who can help you with your thyroid.  That will help things immensely.  One of my best friends has hashimoto's disease (a thyroid) condition and she had terrible panic attacks and was in bad shape for about a year until she found a naturopath to help her.  Have you tried looking for a naturopath for thyroid help?  Know I will be praying for you sweetie, hugs.  Rabbit

I kind of feel the need to say something, and am sorry Challis, I do not mean any offense.

I do not know your case, and am not doctor, so I don't know what you should be taking.  That said, I struggled with depression, and anxiety for 10 years, and was scared to take an SSRI because of all the horror stories I read online.  Finally, it got to be too much and I decided to give an SSRI a try at a small dose.  It made a world of difference, and I finally felt no depression, or anxiety. I wished I had tried it 10 years earlier.

Again, I have no idea if you need it.  But, it can be very beneficial to help reduce the perception of stress, anxiety, and depression in some people.  Idon't think it's going to touch benzo withdrawal anxiety though.

No problem, Lacey, and no offense taken.  Everyone's opinion is important here for balanced consideration.  My reply was based on marley's comment that she wasn't having any depression.

Challis  :)

Hi all,

I feel the same with the lack of sleep. I didnt sleep at all last night, and i feel so dizzy today, headacke, twiches all over, muscle pain, palpitations...if i cant sleep i really feel like i am done, i just feel like this is never going to be ok, i will never be well. Sleep depravation really does a number on me, i am scare about no sleeping tonight either. I just cut 2 days ago so i guess my body is adjusting, i went from dry cut to liquid compound, i am at .41 could thid also affect the cut?

Love to all :smitten:

Friend of mine showed me asian Xanax, the pills are scored in quarters, even the .25 mg ones. Makes it easier to cut without buying an mg scale.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [ra...]
    • [sa...]
    • [...]
    • [...]
    • [El...]
    • [Po...]
    • [re...]
    • [fa...]
    • [...]
    • [bi...]
    • [Lo...]