Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

XANAX Support Blog: If you're tapering Xanax/alprazolam, join in the discussion!

[mr...]

Xanax can fairly play a rhumba in the brain, trust me. Sometimes the music can get so loud as to be labeled a military band.

Seriously, I wonder why we all took Xanax when we knew it was horrid and now facing a constant struggle to either stay on it or quit (the majority). But again, why did we take it to begin with? Existential dilemma..

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Be...]

• [mr...]

• [Ra...]

• [VC...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Xanax can fairly play a rhumba in the brain, trust me. Sometimes the music can get so loud as to be labeled a military band.

Seriously, I wonder why we all took Xanax when we knew it was horrid and now facing a constant struggle to either stay on it or quit (the majority). But again, why did we take it to begin with? Existential dilemma..

I took it because 1) I needed to sleep 2) it was there, so why not?

Hyland's calms forte also helps ensure good sleep. Many things are there, I do not wish to name. Do we take all those things?

Hyland's calms forte also helps ensure good sleep. Many things are there, I do not wish to name. Do we take all those things?

For me, because the doctor introduced me to Xanax and I had no idea it was harmful, it was the most perfect medication for sleeping that I had found.  It gently relieved my anxiety so I could fall asleep quickly and I had no feeling of being hungover the next day.  It was magical.  I told everyone how great it was for sleeping. 

With most drugs nowadays, they list all the crazy side effects, often which include things like rashes, liver failure, suicidal thoughts and death.....so who takes these warnings seriously anymore?  We all know they list this crap for legal protection.  most of us never think it will apply to us.

Furthermore, nothing on the Xanax circular mentioned anything except not to quit taking the deug abruptly because you run the risk of seizures.  there is nothing stating that there is a unique set of problems associated with benzodiazapene use that should be seriously considered before going down that road.

another thing is that Xanax was never meant for sustained use, only intermittent use, but nothing in the circular states that either.  Xanax was meant for occasional use for panic attacks, not for long-term treatment of anxiety, and doctors are misprescribing  it like crazy.

I don't know what to say. I have not so good insurance thanks to the prez, and I can't afford to book myself into detox. So I'm forced to see this psych who accepts my insurance plan and is only too happy to hand me brown paper bags loaded with 'free samples of the latest cutting edge anti-depressants'. Prolly I'm the fall guy for all these new meds, maybe he's happy to give me unlimited Xanax refills as a trade-off? Sigh.. :-(

You know what, I've decided to space the 3 mg dose into 4 even .75 mg doses. 8AM-2PM-8PM-2AM.. I'll bear with the symptoms as my body takes time to adjust to this new pattern. After I've adjusted to a schedule, I'll start the taper. Hope nobody labels me a quitter!

Ashh,

You are NOT a quitter YOUR an "OVERCOMER".

I think that's a very good idea to spread your med's out equally over 4 times a day.

I am on 2.5mg Xanax, and that is what I had to do before I could start my taper or should I say re-start...as I have tried this once already

It's not easy...if it were EVERYONE would be doing it at home with no problems and there may not be a BB, but I am so THANKFUL for these people EVERYDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Today makes day 4 of my reduction.  I have had some rough days, (not just because of my taper),  but I haven't stopped or rescue dosed, and boy have I wanted to!

And, by the way I'm the whiner of the bunch.

We are only human, and don't think for one minute that other's before you have not whined or complained!

You can do this!

Comforting Hugs  :hug:

FluterByee :smitten:

I don't know what to say. I have not so good insurance thanks to the prez, and I can't afford to book myself into detox. So I'm forced to see this psych who accepts my insurance plan and is only too happy to hand me brown paper bags loaded with 'free samples of the latest cutting edge anti-depressants'. Prolly I'm the fall guy for all these new meds, maybe he's happy to give me unlimited Xanax refills as a trade-off? Sigh.. :-(

Ashh,

You don't have to take anything you don't want to!  And, if he is willing to prescribe the Xanax...than you know you will be able to complete the taper that YOU have planed out for yourself.

Isn't it odd, that you see commercial's for everything med wise, and yes, they do list all the potential side affects, but I have NEVER once seen an advertisement for BENZODIAZAPIENS on TV....Hmmmm, I wonder why that is.

I was NEVER told how extremely powerful this drug is or how dangerous the side affects can be.  Had I been properly informed...I WOULD HAVE NEVER TAKEN THIS DRUG or as I like to refer to it the DEVIL's DRUG!

FB

Ashh,

You don't have to take anything you don't want to!  And, if he is willing to prescribe the Xanax...than you know you will be able to complete the taper that YOU have planed out for yourself.

Isn't it odd, that you see commercial's for everything med wise, and yes, they do list all the potential side affects, but I have NEVER once seen an advertisement for BENZODIAZAPIENS on TV....Hmmmm, I wonder why that is.

I was NEVER told how extremely powerful this drug is or how dangerous the side affects can be.  Had I been properly informed...I WOULD HAVE NEVER TAKEN THIS DRUG or as I like to refer to it the DEVIL's DRUG!

FB

Yes FB. I totally agree with you. I was given Xanax to simply help me 'relax'. Before long, relaxation morphed into addiction and the docs never told me how scary this med is, and how one has to be weaned off of it like a child is weaned off his or her binkie. As I always maintain, Xanax entices, entraps, and finally enslaves. The side effects are not only dangerous, they are EVIL.

Not all benzos are as bad as Xanax though. Even Nitrazepam is not as addictive though it's more powerful. The funny part is, Xanax is OTC in many European countries (really). And people in say, Bulgaria or the Czech republic are not benzo heads exactly. Someone should start a Benzo anonymous same as AA and Gambler anonymous.

oh, I didnt know lack of support was the "family issue"... in that case, going postal on them probably isnt a good idea... I just go postal so theyll take their BS elsewhere...

[/quote

Yeah, last year there was a certain extended family element that DID stir the pot - always causing a ruckus - I no longer engage with their BS. Gotta save my energy for healing. But this recent thing with family is more like abandonment and cluelessness on their part...and their expectations of me are just too much right now. Let's face it, unless someone's walked in our shoes, they can't possibly comprehend.

oh, I didnt know lack of support was the "family issue"... in that case, going postal on them probably isnt a good idea... I just go postal so theyll take their BS elsewhere...

Yeah, last year there was a certain extended family element that DID stir the pot - always causing a ruckus - I no longer engage with their BS. Gotta save my energy for healing. But this recent thing with family is more like abandonment and cluelessness on their part...and their expectations of me are just too much right now. Let's face it, unless someone's walked in our shoes, they can't possibly comprehend.

I hear ya, VC :)

I've had family and friends react the same way with me and my situation. But just know, they don't know what they don't know. They love you, and are just trying to "help" you deal with your situation in the way they think they would. I'm sure they're not intentionally trying to hurt you or anything. And if they've been intentionally hurtful, know that hurting people hurt people...

So just know that, but protect yourself at this time and just love them from a distance ;) Most cases, the cruelest of people present cruelness as an extreme protective mechanism...and loving them, and most of all, liking them just as they are, regardless of how they treat you or act, completely changes their lives. IF you're willing to be patient enough to see it through ;) I have a coworker that it took three years of liking her & showing kindness, sometimes even in the face of direct & blatant attacks on me, before things started to turn around at the office. Every time she was hurtful or mean, I just made myself wonder a bit about how badly she must've been hurt, or mistreated, at some point that caused her to react this way. Made my heart soften towards her like you wouldn't believe. No doubt, there were (and even are) some times that all I wanted to do was react to her like she reacted to me, but I knew that wouldn't actually solve anything, but actually cause this cycle with her to perpetuate once again...I'd just be another person that hurt her, and she didn't need that anymore than I did...

Lol, Mrs and her tangents...sheesh. My apologies, I don't even know if this even applies to your situation, and I apologize if it does not. Anyways, glad to hear you're taking care of what you need to in order to heal fully :) Hope things get better with your family over time as well :)

I'll be back later today I'm sure; take care for now!

Mrs. :smitten:

I am feeling brutal today.  Don't know what is going on.  bleh....

Brutal as in angry and wanting to lash out at others or brutal as in s/x's are all ramped up?

Brutal as in angry and wanting to lash out at others or brutal as in s/x's are all ramped up?

Brutal as in having a high amount of anxiety, worry, sad and generally feeling messed up.

Brutal as in having a high amount of anxiety, worry, sad and generally feeling messed up.

Lacey, I understand.  I guess I'm in the "brutal" category too.  Month 5 for me has been a bitch.

Lacey, I understand.  I guess I'm in the "brutal" category too.  Month 5 for me has been a bitch.

Sorry to hear that Mama

Hi all,

Just stopping in to say hey :)

Sounds like some of us have been hit with a wave recently. I, myself, got "spanked" with one last night. For the recent few weeks, they've come roaring in, seemingly out of no where. Theyve been intense and have had me down & recovering in upwards of 48 hours afterwards. But afterwards the dawn breaks and a slightly better baseline emerges.

I don't know where you're at in your healing. For some, perhaps there have been no advents of windows and only been in waves for months. For some, perhaps you are beginning your venture of becoming benzo-free, and are just figuring out what your "stable" "baseline" of symptoms is going to be. Wherever you're at, however bad it is, KNOW without a doubt that you WILL be 100% again someday soon.

Its coming for us, and the dream IS real :) When the waves hit, we just "surf" them out :)

Love you all :) Take good care of yourselves today :)

Mrs. :smitten:

Im brutal as in angry and wanting to lash out as everyone... but I worked my a$$ off today and wore myself out, so now I feel aaaaaaaalllll betta.. :thumbsup:

OTC?

No kidding, I've myself seen it in Thailand and Indonesia, but people there are blissfully unaware of what Xanax does so they don't take it like candy or (mis)use it like many here. I also saw like 10 different brands of Xanax in pharmacies in India, but the pharmacist told me they can (potentially) be given the death sentence for misusing prescriptions, or atleast 10 years in hell (prison), so they are usually loath to give it away without scrutinizing the prescription *very* carefully. When I was on a business tour of this city Mumbai, I popped into a pharmacy to get allegra and I saw this group of Aussies trying to wheedle some Xanax off of the chemist. He (not so) politely asked them to eff off.

OTC?

No kidding, I've myself seen it in Thailand and Indonesia, but people there are blissfully unaware of what Xanax does so they don't take it like candy or (mis)use it like many here.

Of course they do ashh,

Do you think they are immune to benzo dependency?  At least here in the U.S. we have restrictions.  I'd imagine OTC is a huge problem in countries with no regulation.  Just my opinion.

Sooo...Hiiii. Hello there. :) I feel like I'm very much interrupting a private conversation...hope it's okay I post a question?  I'm new soo...yea. Clueless.

So I've been all over this board, reading stories, etc.  One thing I hear a lot of people say about Xanax is that, once they got past any withdrawals and were clean, they started feeling "alive" again, creative, energetic, yippy yay, etc. It completely makes sense to me since Xanax relaxes you, mellows you out so once you are off it, you are out of the fog.

Except that's not my experience with Xanax at all.

When I take a xanax, that's exactly how I feel now. Creative, energetic, funny even (I'm not, ever). I have that "dont give a fuck" vibe but I also get a gigantic, huge boost in my confidence.  I like me on Xanax, I hate me off Xanax.

So here's my question is....that psychological dependence? 

When I first took Xanax, I felt nothing until it kicked in and then I was mellow. End of story.

Now it's a whole, entirely different ballgame. I take it and I INSTANTLY feel happy, free, confident, creative.  Creative is a big one for me....I write (sorta) for a living and it definitely, without doubt, makes me more creative.

I'm afraid when I am off it, I will go back to being my natural state which is depressed and foggy as hell. Basically how people describe being on xanax. Ironic, isn't it?

So my experience is the opposite of a lot of other users.  And I'm not getting why.

Thanks for reading this and, again, if this isn't the right thread, kindly carry on. Your conversation is totally interesting to me too. I just spent an hour reading it.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [An...]
    • [ro...]
    • [Jo...]
    • [be...]
    • [El...]
    • [Li...]
    • [ca...]
    • [hu...]
    • [...]
    • [Bl...]
    • [Jo...]