Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

XANAX Support Blog: If you're tapering Xanax/alprazolam, join in the discussion!

[mr...]

Thanks, Mrs! Sorry to ruminate so much. But when these pills start crumbling, I start wondering. Hope the sun shines through a 'window' today for us all.  :smitten:

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Be...]

• [mr...]

• [Ra...]

• [VC...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, Mrs! Sorry to ruminate so much. But when these pills start crumbling, I start wondering. Hope the sun shines through a 'window' today for us all.  :smitten:

Also please spare a thought for benzo-heads like me who are hooked on to like 3 mg Xanax daily and trying various permutations and combinations to find the ideal taper dosage  :-(    Add to it the Remeron for OCD and I'm a complete train wreck  :-(

Just out of curiosity.

For people out there that took Xanax at night to sleep.  Did you notice that you never had dreams while taking Xanax?

I've noticed since tapering the Xanax I've atually been having some dreams for the first time in a while.

Just out of curiosity.

For people out there that took Xanax at night to sleep.  Did you notice that you never had dreams while taking Xanax?

I've noticed since tapering the Xanax I've atually been having some dreams for the first time in a while.

Xanax interferes with the REM sleep which is why we never have dreams while on Xanax. As we taper, our sleep patterns get normalized which may account for the dreams, often vivid. I've been having vivid dreams during the taper, sometimes scary. Hope the feeling passes. If you don't mind, what's your daily Xanax dose?

I reallly cant even remember if I dreamed or not...

I know Ive been dreaming some super crazy and long dreams while tapering though, thats one of the ways I can tell if Im "stable" enough to consider another cut, my dreams get "normal".....(er)

Just out of curiosity.

Xanax interferes with the REM sleep which is why we never have dreams while on Xanax. As we taper, our sleep patterns get normalized which may account for the dreams, often vivid. I've been having vivid dreams during the taper, sometimes scary. Hope the feeling passes. If you don't mind, what's your daily Xanax dose?

Was at 1mg at night.  Now doing.8125 at night, and .125mg during the day. so .9375 overall.

Just out of curiosity.

I had vivid, epic, sometimes disturbing dreams while taking Xanax.  Xanax does not stop a person from dreaming.  My dreams are very rarely disturbing now that I'm no longer taking the med.  I've noticed that lately my dreams are becoming epic, (long and involved), again.  But so far they aren't what I would call nightmares as was the case while I was still on the med.

how long are you waiting between cuts Lacey?

I think I'm going to wait a week at the start, and then go from there.  I've only done the 1 cut so far.

If it starts getting harder when I get down further I'm willing to change that and wait a little longer if need be.

Moving that little bit of xanax to the day time has really helped my anxiety during the day though.  Seems like that might help this whole process.

I had vivid, epic, sometimes disturbing dreams while taking Xanax.  Xanax does not stop a person from dreaming.  My dreams are very rarely disturbing now that I'm no longer taking the med.  I've noticed that lately my dreams are becoming epic, (long and involved), again.  But so far they aren't what I would call nightmares as was the case while I was still on the med.

I thought Xanax reduced REM sleep (which was where dreams usually take place).

Guess I have some good news.  I went to the Dr. today, and told him my plan to get off Xanax.  I told him I'm aiming to get off in ~4 months, using .0625mg drops each week, or when I feel comfortable.  He seemed to be on board and thought it was a good time frame to aim for.  He scripted some .25mg pills so I could do the cuts.

lacey23, that's good. We may be tapering together shortly. Always nice when a doctor is onboard. I hope my appt. on Tues. goes as well. So you have liquid xanax? (you mentioned drops, and dry cutting, too) I'm trying to decide dry cut vs. LT.

VCharis

lacey23, that's good. We may be tapering together shortly. Always nice when a doctor is onboard. I hope my appt. on Tues. goes as well. So you have liquid xanax? (you mentioned drops, and dry cutting, too) I'm trying to decide dry cut vs. LT.

VCharis

I'm just dry cutting, I didn't know drops were even an option. 

Hope everything goes good for you.  It would actually be good to have a buddy to do this with.  Seems a lot of the other people are at different phases in their tapers. 

Well it may have reduced my REM sleep, but I still had dreams.  Reduce REM and stop REM are two different things.  The quality of my sleep improved as I tapered off and my dreams became pleasant again.  I never stopped dreaming the entire time I took Xanax. 

Yeah, I still dream, too. Woke up a couple times recently with very vivid (and a bit scary) dreams. Sometimes I only remember snippets of my dreams, though.

Hello,

Is a two month hold too long?  I c/t about a year ago and have head pressure remaining (besides fatigue and intermittent sleep - both of which I can deal with).  Am thinking of giving my CNS a rest (have not stabilized from the initial c/t), before continuing with my slow liquid taper.  After a month of holding, the head pressure seems to have gone down.  Total daily X dose (dosing 6 times) is currently at about 0.6 mg. 

Thanks,

Kantu

Well it may have reduced my REM sleep, but I still had dreams.  Reduce REM and stop REM are two different things.  The quality of my sleep improved as I tapered off and my dreams became pleasant again.  I never stopped dreaming the entire time I took Xanax.

I am looking forward to nice, pleasant dreams soon! :smitten:

Also please spare a thought for benzo-heads like me who are hooked on to like 3 mg Xanax daily and trying various permutations and combinations to find the ideal taper dosage  :-(    Add to it the Remeron for OCD and I'm a complete train wreck  :-(

Hi dear ashh,

I would suggest to first start by getting consistent in your dosing.  I'm talking both your dosing schedule (when you take your benzo each day), and your dosing amount(s) (how much you take of your benzo each day, at each time).  Consistency is so key in gaining "stability" in symptoms in this process.  If you dose when you feel symptoms, and don't when you don't, it is very hard for the body to adapt to a stable equilibrium.  It's like picking at a scab all day and then wondering why the wound hasn't begun to heal :P LOL

It is also important to get consistent in the benzo you will be using.  I think it was you that mentioned you may cross over, or try using another benzo intermittently to try and feed the xanax "cravings", is that correct?  A crossover benzo is not to be used "as needed"; crossing over is a process, and needs to be done in a gradual manner.  Using intermittently for symptoms again creates inconsistency, which breeds an unstable environment for your body.  Also picking the scab :P:laugh:

The decision needs to be made on whether you're going to formally cross-over to another benzo, or if you're going to taper directly from Xanax.  Have you made this decision?  Once you do, we can offer more advice on what and how you can do this -- until then, there really isn't much more advice to offer on taper plans and such :)  Crossing over most often a good option for those who cannot get stable on Xanax, due to interdose withdrawal. 

How are you currently dosing your benzo (what times of day, and how much at each time)?  And, for how long have you been consistently dosing at this?  It is not wise to begin tapering when you have not made a solid decision on the above mentions, IMO.  I'd hate to see you hurting the whole time based on instability, if it could be easily avoided :)

Hope this helps you a little bit!  Once you know which path you will be taking (crossover or direct taper from xanax), we can go from there.  We'll chat soon again, I'm sure!

Mrs. :smitten:

Hope everything goes good for you.  It would actually be good to have a buddy to do this with.  Seems a lot of the other people are at different phases in their tapers.

Thanks, lacey23 - and pardon me for benzo-brain earlier.  When you said: "I told him I'm aiming to get off in ~4 months, using .0625mg drops each week, or when I feel comfortable."....I saw "drops" and thought "liquid"... :laugh:  Can't believe I did that. Anyway, I'm dry cutting at the moment but considering the liquid taper and

watching videos about it.  Hang in there...

Thanks, lacey23 - and pardon me for benzo-brain earlier.  When you said: "I told him I'm aiming to get off in ~4 months, using .0625mg drops each week, or when I feel comfortable."....I saw "drops" and thought "liquid"... :laugh:  Can't believe I did that. Anyway, I'm dry cutting at the moment but considering the liquid taper and

watching videos about it.  Hang in there...

haha, no problem.

Just out of curiosity, I read your sig, and it says you did a couple tapers last year.  How quick did you taper those times?

Hello,

Is a two month hold too long?  I c/t about a year ago and have head pressure remaining (besides fatigue and intermittent sleep - both of which I can deal with).  Am thinking of giving my CNS a rest (have not stabilized from the initial c/t), before continuing with my slow liquid taper.  After a month of holding, the head pressure seems to have gone down.  Total daily X dose (dosing 6 times) is currently at about 0.6 mg. 

Thanks,

Kantu

Hi Mrs,

I believe you are currently holding for over a month, correct?  I know one should hold as per the dictates of one's body and time is irrelevant, but should I at least cut a little, to let the brain know what the master plan is?

Thanks,

Kantu

...I am currently coming off a mild opiate habit so have felt a pretty wonky, dizzy and super anxious but I know I should be feeling good and clear to start a taper in short order. But one of the effects is hardcore insomnia that even my Xanax won't cure - unless I take more but I'm not about to do THAT. I know I will feel better when I can log some more hours in the sack soon.

Hi tatertot. Read my signature. I detoxed opiates along with Xanax. I was one hot mess, but I'm sooo much better today.

For me, the Lortab killed not only the pain, but it also killed my sense of being tired and needing to sleep. I used Xanax for sleeper a decade. Kicking the opioids was tough and I did go into full on withdrawals midway through that taper. While it's far worse than Xanax withdrawals, it's very short lived with symptoms lasting a couple 'o three days versus weeks or months for Xanax. Given a choice between detoxing Xanax or opioids, I'd take opioids every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Hello,

Thanks,

Kantu

Hi Mrs,

I believe you are currently holding for over a month, correct?  I know one should hold as per the dictates of one's body and time is irrelevant, but should I at least cut a little, to let the brain know what the master plan is?

Thanks,

Kantu

Hi Kantu,

Ultimately, the decision is up to you.  I have a slightly different set of symptoms when I reach tolerance, than my taper symptoms.  I believe that everybody has their timeframe at which they cross from holding, into tolerance again.  For me, it is 4-6 weeks or so.  If I hold longer than this timeframe, I am back into full blown tolerance. 

I've found a pattern that works well for me.  When I cut, I withdrawal 1mL per day for ten days.  Then I hold for ten days.  I do a series of four cuts like this (so, 80 days in total), and then I hold for what I call an "extended hold", which is 28 days (4 weeks).  This has been my "sweet spot" for almost a year in tapering.

As of recent cuts, I am holding for 28 days for sure.  Since I had such a flair up of symptoms from this last series of cuts, I may hold an extra 14 days (to make 6 weeks/42 days), just to give myself a good base to finish out the remainder of my journey.  My flair up of symptoms were because I pushed the last cut series -- all four cuts were above 12%, and all cuts were over the course of 10 days -- both no-no's according to the recommended amount to cut (5-10% over 10-14 days).  I did it to myself, LOL :laugh::D;)

Anyways, long story short, right? :P  It's up to you, Kantu.  I'd say, if you're looking to "reset" your system a little bit so that you're cutting from a fresh blank slate, hold away, my friend!  Two months is not too long, so long as you don't slip back into tolerance.  I believe you'd know it if you did, too -- so don't worry about it too much :thumbsup:

Hope that helps a bit :P  Let me know if I can help with anything else :)  Sounds like you've got a great handle on things!

Hello,

Thanks,

Kantu

Hi Mrs,

Thanks,

Kantu

Hi Kantu,

Ultimately, the decision is up to you.  I have a slightly different set of symptoms when I reach tolerance, than my taper symptoms.  I believe that everybody has their timeframe at which they cross from holding, into tolerance again.  For me, it is 4-6 weeks or so.  If I hold longer than this timeframe, I am back into full blown tolerance. 

I've found a pattern that works well for me.  When I cut, I withdrawal 1mL per day for ten days.  Then I hold for ten days.  I do a series of four cuts like this (so, 80 days in total), and then I hold for what I call an "extended hold", which is 28 days (4 weeks).  This has been my "sweet spot" for almost a year in tapering.

As of recent cuts, I am holding for 28 days for sure.  Since I had such a flair up of symptoms from this last series of cuts, I may hold an extra 14 days (to make 6 weeks/42 days), just to give myself a good base to finish out the remainder of my journey.  My flair up of symptoms were because I pushed the last cut series -- all four cuts were above 12%, and all cuts were over the course of 10 days -- both no-no's according to the recommended amount to cut (5-10% over 10-14 days).  I did it to myself, LOL :laugh::D;)

Anyways, long story short, right? :P  It's up to you, Kantu.  I'd say, if you're looking to "reset" your system a little bit so that you're cutting from a fresh blank slate, hold away, my friend!  Two months is not too long, so long as you don't slip back into tolerance.  I believe you'd know it if you did, too -- so don't worry about it too much :thumbsup:

Hope that helps a bit :P  Let me know if I can help with anything else :)  Sounds like you've got a great handle on things!

Hang in there mrs.  :thumbsup:

Thank you for helping so many.  You are a sweetheart.

:smitten:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [je...]
    • [ca...]
    • [...]
    • [An...]
    • [Mr...]
    • [jo...]
    • [Ch...]
    • [Ch...]
    • [El...]
    • [kn...]