Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

XANAX Support Blog: If you're tapering Xanax/alprazolam, join in the discussion!

[mr...]

Babyrex,

Good to see you and to hear you see glimmers of healing. You are a courageous woman. Sending you love and friendship,

Carita

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Be...]

• [mr...]

• [Ra...]

• [VC...]

Top Posters In This Topic

So I've been on Xanax 1mg for at least 6 months, have been on Xanax total over 2 years and have worked up to this dose. I take it once a day at night unless I have a rare panic attack during the day. Usually it makes me too sleepy during the day. I have some Valium too but not a whole lot. I don't have a Dr and these were not prescribed. Does it make sense to taper the Xanax only - or taper that down and then jump to valium to make for a smoother ending? Valium makes me incredibly groggy the next day even though it does not put me to sleep like Xanax.

Can I taper over a months time or is that wishful thinking?

I know this is a small dose but I'm terrified of withdrawal symptoms.

I have also been on and off opiods for a couple years and currently taking kratom to help with that issue.

OK I'm a mess. I just want to feel normal!

I'm thinking a liquid titration sounds perfect as it appeals to my perfectionist side. My pills are super crumbly and hard to accurately split. Can I make up a big batch of solution and store in fridge and take my daily titrated dose?

VC,

Lol this afternoon I had a rough time, with mental symptoms and such! Yesterday was your day :P

I am happy to hear that today has lightened for you :) Just keep being consistent like that...setting reminders in your phone and such... I did the same thing, too!! I am a dreamer, LOL...one of my (many) dreams is to ceremoniously delete the four alarms I have set in my phone for dosing! I will also do something ceremonious to the ten seasons of Friends that we have, and that I've watched over and over and over and over...and over... you get the idea, LOL!! My dear husband has spent many, MANY a night watching these episodes with me for hours, offering his comfort and support...we will both kiss those ten seasons GOODBYE when the timing is right :)

I wonder what the first day of FREEDOM will feel like? What will it feel like to never mix and measure doses again? To never hear a reminder bell again at 9:15 and 3:15 AMs and PMs? I am sure the first few days will feel a bit wrong without doing it,...but I think I'll adjust alright, hehe :laugh: To be med-free...ahhh, what a dream in my heart :) Its coming soon :)

Anyways, tangent, right? The dream is REAL, friend :) Very much looking forward to Living The Dream!!

Hope that window of yours stays wide open through tonight!!

Take care for now,

Mrs. :smitten:

Confused here,

I never experienced any type of "HIGH" when I used Xanax. I took for: PTSD (Medical Crises)

anxiety and Panic attacks. Xanax did help the anxiety and panic until I developed: REBOUND

ANXIETY from it. I know everyone calls this " tolerance withdrawal" but its not. Tolerance withdrawal

is when you have to take more of the Benzo to get the same result. IE: Opiates, Alcohol etc produce

a tolerance to the dose, as do benzo's. REBOUND Anxiety is horrible. The more Xanax you take

the worse the anxiety. As Blue stated: I feel so much better NOT having to take Xanax.

To those of you just starting your taper's, welcome to the forum.

Be Well~~~~

Peace

NFM :angel:

Aren't tolerance withdrawal and rebound anxiety the same thing?  I've never really known the difference, and am confused.

My interpretation was that you feel rebound anxiety, because you've built up a tolerance to your benzo dose, and between doses (when the dose starts wearing off) actually have less gaba than what you had before starting benzo's in the first place, and experience withdrawal.

No, unfortunately Tolerance means: you are tolerant to the Drug, which in turn provides less than optimal

results. No longer working for you. You then "have to increase your dose".

Rebound Anxiety: Anxiety is increased even taking your therapeutic dose (you have upped your dose).

Interdose Withdrawal: What you experience due to the : Half life of your Xanax, ie 6-12 hours. You start

feeling jittery etc.

Withdrawal: The standard for Benzo Tapering and what your body is experiencing due to less of the

Benzo. This will appear at different times, levels of intensity, duration, symptoms etc.

GABA: GABA is called:gamma- Aminobutyric acid. The chief "Inhibitory"  Neurotransmitter in the CNS.      Benzo's takes over our natural GABA Function in our CNS, "displaces","reduces", or "down-regulates",

this Natural occurring "inhibitory neurotransmitter" in our Brain.

When you taper, you are "disrupting" the GABA neurotransmitter pathway's, preventing a naturally occurring

"inhibitory" response, which leads to: Benzo Withdrawal

Read: Parkers Post, Goes into depth about what is happening to your brain

Best wishes for a smooth taper.

Notforme :angel:

thanks notforme!

Vertigo?

anyone get this inter-dose.  Or if you are half hour late for your dose??

Myself, Hopefulgirl, Mama2,...need I go on, LOL?

Its where I coined the phrase:

"Floaty-boaty, ver-ti-goey!!!"

Mrs. :laugh:

So I've been on Xanax 1mg for at least 6 months, have been on Xanax total over 2 years and have worked up to this dose. I take it once a day at night unless I have a rare panic attack during the day. Usually it makes me too sleepy during the day. I have some Valium too but not a whole lot. I don't have a Dr and these were not prescribed. Does it make sense to taper the Xanax only - or taper that down and then jump to valium to make for a smoother ending? Valium makes me incredibly groggy the next day even though it does not put me to sleep like Xanax.

I have also been on and off opiods for a couple years and currently taking kratom to help with that issue.

I'm thinking a liquid titration sounds perfect as it appeals to my perfectionist side. My pills are super crumbly and hard to accurately split. Can I make up a big batch of solution and store in fridge and take my daily titrated dose?

I believe it's wishful thinking to hope to stop taking 1mg of Xanax in one months time, if a person is dependent on the medication.  It took me 4 solid months to taper 1mg and by many accounts, my body allowed me to go pretty quickly.  We've had several members who are having success with titration.  I dry cut .25mg tablets, so I'm not much help in that department.  We have MrsALW, HopefulGirl and Carita who know a great deal about Xanax titration.  I'm sure someone will come along soon who can talk you through it.  Welcome to the Xanax thread.  Yes, tapering Xanax is definitly doable.  :thumbsup:

NotForMe,

You have peaked my curiosity on "rebound anxiety"...I have never heard it explained before. Makes so much more sense.

I am in my lower doses, as you know. I think this past month I've experienced "rebound anxiety" for the first time in my taper. Either that, or my body is just fighting these last little bits, LOL.

Keep posting those awesome "Freedom Reports", okay? You have NO IDEA how much they help to keep the dream alive for the rest of us in the heat of the battle :) At least for me, they do!! :)

Thanks for sticking around; you're a true friend! :smitten:

I think I am dependent because if I don't take it there is no sleep to be had :(

I stopped for about a week last year and felt fantastic after a couple of days of insomnia but I am reading that maybe the withdrawals may not have had time to take effect fully.

I have big 2mg crumbly pills that are really hard to cut accurately. This is my only supply so I have to figure out how to titrate it in water to dilute I think.

I've had this the last couple days and it's been freaking me out.  take my dose and in an hour it is gone.....

Vertigo?

anyone get this inter-dose.  Or if you are half hour late for your dose??

Myself, Hopefulgirl, Mama2,...need I go on, LOL?

Its where I coined the phrase:

"Floaty-boaty, ver-ti-goey!!!"

Mrs. :laugh:

Hey tatertot.

What size of Xanax pills do you take?

Most people here reduce their xanax by .0625mg at a time, but getting the .25mg pills and cutting them into quarters.  I'm sure someone will be able to answer your question about water titration, but I don't think it would be neccessary if you are able to get .25mg pills.

I think a month is very wishful thinking.  I take the same dose as you, and tried to plan it over 6 weeks and got kicked in the ass by doing a .25mg drop.  So, now I'm going at the same rate as most others here. 

Some people can taper quicker than others, but I think it is wise to do a .0625mg drop to see how it effects you first.  If it ain't bad, then maybe you can do your next .0625 drop a little quicker, and just taper quickly that way.  Or vice versa if you need a slow taper you can wait a bit before your next .0625mg drop.  But at least when you start small you can get an idea of what's going to happen instead of going for a big drop and getting slammed. 

I think I am dependent because if I don't take it there is no sleep to be had :(

I stopped for about a week last year and felt fantastic after a couple of days of insomnia but I am reading that maybe the withdrawals may not have had time to take effect fully.

I have big 2mg crumbly pills that are really hard to cut accurately. This is my only supply so I have to figure out how to titrate it in water to dilute I think.

I think another option may be a scale. 

I just bought a scale and it's pretty cool.  You can weigh individual xanax pills and then do the math.

If the pill weighs .133 grams and you are doing a 10% cut,  subtract 10% from .133 and shave away!

I believe it's wishful thinking to hope to stop taking 1mg of Xanax in one months time, if a person is dependent on the medication.  It took me 4 solid months to taper 1mg and by many accounts, my body allowed me to go pretty quickly.  We've had several members who are having success with titration.  I dry cut .25mg tablets, so I'm not much help in that department.  We have MrsALW, HopefulGirl and Carita who know a great deal about Xanax titration.  I'm sure someone will come along soon who can talk you through it.  Welcome to the Xanax thread.  Yes, tapering Xanax is definitly doable.  :thumbsup:

Hi tatertot,

BTW, your screen name makes me giggle...all I hear is Ron White!! Ha!!

Anyways, I have had a rough day earlier, so I will be unable to offer advice on titration this evening. Once I am feeling better, I would be able to help.

Hopefully either Carita or Hopefulgirl will be along to offer advice to you soon. Just sit tight for a day or two, okay? We'll get there, friend :)

Thanks for being patient!

Mrs. :smitten:

Babyrex,

Good to see you and to hear you see glimmers of healing. You are a courageous woman. Sending you love and friendship,

Carita

Carita,

Thank you so much!  :)  I've  had a few partial windows, but they were very brief.  However, the knowledge that I am gradually healing is what I needed right now.  My acute has been horrible, and I really began to believe I would never heal.  But here I am 6 weeks out and I  am feeling a little better.  Thank God because I don't think I could have taken that unyielding, intense pain much longer.  I hope the that worst is gone and I gradually heal.

:smitten:

What sort of taper should I start? I want to start small.

My dose schedule is holding strong, and I'm feeling pretty good at:

6a - .18

10a - .18

2p - .18

6p - .10

10p - .18

I could go up or down, give or take from there. I could also try dosing 4 times a day instead of 5.

I'm very particular about knowing the exact amount I'm taking, so I don't know if water titration will work for me. I want to try to make smaller cuts, and hold for the shorter amount of time (7 days). I'm stabilizing after tolerance hell and not sure how long this "okay" feeling will last. I'm using a gram scale now, but it's so sensitive I'm not entirely sure I'm getting any sort of accurate reading. I'm not doing a Valium substitution unless I fail on tapering xanax. The only option I can really see is if I get liquid xanax or compounded liquid at like .02 per 1/8 ml. I wish I had the math brains to figure this out and do it myself in oraplus.  The pharmacist said he could make a suspension for me, but I don't know what that means; like if I need a new rx or if I just bring the pills... I have .50mg pills which do me no good except to cut on my dumb scale.

Any guidance or suggestions would be great. Thanks!!!

Babyrex,

Carita

Carita,

Thank you so much!  :)  I've  had a few partial windows, but they were very brief.  However, the knowledge that I am gradually healing is what I needed right now.  My acute has been horrible, and I really began to believe I would never heal.  But here I am 6 weeks out and I  am feeling a little better.  Thank God because I don't think I could have taken that unyielding, intense pain much longer.  I hope the that worst is gone and I gradually heal.

:smitten:

Babyrex,

I have been thinking about you.  This is such good news to hear.

Mama  :smitten:

There is a big difference between abruptly stopping Xanax for a week or tapering and waiting to feel a cut.  Yes, when I tapered it took me 4 or 5 days to feel the hit from the small dose reduction.  But if I'd gone cold turkey, I believe I'd have gotten hit much, much quicker than 4-5 days or a week.  Your level of dependency seems to have possibly been really low when you stopped last year.  But, I've often heard that we might get 1 pass to stop taking a benzo without too much of a problem.  Whether that was your one pass or not, I have no idea.  I hope it won't be too hard for you.

We've had other members who have only have access to the 2mg tablets.  They can also be tapered.  There are several ways but I'd probably go with titration or the jewelers scale method rather than some of the more labor intensive ways like powdering and making lines, (a technique that a member named summermeadow used to get free of Klonopin).

Here is a link to a post that has a titration video that was made by one of our members:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=38939.0

We don't use milk with Xanax because Xanax is not lipid soluble.  Most members who post on this thread use water.

YA, I WAS SCRAMBLING TO GET ON THE COMPUTER CAUSE I WAS HAVING A BAD WITHDRAWAL ANXIETY ATTACK AND KNOCKED A BIG BOOK OFF THE TABLE, BOOOM!!! IT MADE ME JUMP...Im ok now though I think...

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [Ju...]
    • [PE...]
    • [ba...]
    • [Ka...]
    • [kn...]
    • [Lo...]
    • [...]
    • [Ka...]
    • [En...]
    • [je...]
    • [Mi...]