Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

XANAX Support Blog: If you're tapering Xanax/alprazolam, join in the discussion!

[mr...]

OMG, maybe I've really screwed up again. I'm reading everyone's dosing schedules, amounts, etc., and realize I'm probably STILL not doing it right. Please bear with me.

There is no "right" or "wrong" in regards to dosing schedules, excepting that, whatever you do, you do it consistently--day in, day out...it's what works for YOU and your particular set of symptoms. 

Jan. 7:

last day of any PRN dosing (although I'd taken 0.25mg-0.5mg bedtime doses)

Jan. 8-12:

0.5 mg 10pm

0.25mg at 1 pm

Jan. 13 (today):

0.25 mg at 10 am (meant to take 0.125!)

0.125 mg at 4 pm (felt no relief whatsoever but too upset to tell)

0.5 mg tonight at 10 pm.

This looks fine to me, for now.  And, no big deal on the accidental updose--it's not going to ruin anything. I'd say, just let it REST here for a while -- don't change anything more about what you've done.  Keep it at:

0.125mg at 10 am

0.125mg at 4 pm

0.5mg at 10 pm

for a while (at least 10-14 days), and don't gauge results based on one or two days, or if you happen to be symptomatic one of those days following a dose.  Your body is sensitive and you are dealing with a bit of instability currently -- it needs some time to rest.  Moving doses around to a different schedule, or moving your total daily dosage all the time, will act like a "cut" for a lot of people -- so if you keep jumping around, moving doses to different times of day, etc and you never let yourself get acclimated to that schedule, you will always stay somewhat 'inflamed'.  It's like constantly picking at a scab, and then wondering why the wound never heals, LOL :laugh:  Just let yourself BE for a bit, okay?

Obviously, these are not equal exact doses, but I thought my bedtime dose needed to stay parked at 0.5mg if it would help me sleep.

For you, this is probably true.  Remember, just because someone else has a different gameplan than yours does not mean yours is wrong, okay?  YOU stick to what works for YOU -- and I know you're still trying to figure out what will work for you, LOL.  But be patient -- you WILL find a happy medium of symptoms here soon :thumbsup:

Ive slept two good nights on it, but only 3 hrs last night. I wake up at 4 or 4:30 am nearly every night - can't always go back to sleep.

This is completely normal for quite a few folks in withdrawal.  It's not fun, I know, but try and find some peace with it -- for your sake.  It's not going to hurt you, and your body WILL balance out -- it's just going to take time.  Lots and lots of time.  So, be thankful for your good night's sleeps, and be peaceful and patient with the nights that are not-so-good.  Know that it's not hurting you to lack some sleep; you'll just be tired the next day.  It's alright ;)

This could be due to hypoglycemic incidents causing cortisol spikes, or benzo crap. Adrenal stuff messes up sleep cycles and benzos mess up adrenals...sigh.

It's probably the benzos -- again, I can't tell you how many people deal with this symptom (early waking and unable to get back to sleep).  It's like I mentioned to JerryK earlier -- cortisol levels start to peak in the AM hours, so we in benzo withdrawal often feel the affects of it (early wakings, morning anxiety, morning dreads, etc).  It's not that our cortisol levels are abnormal -- it's just that our central nervous system is temporarily hypersensitive to it, so we feel it at magnified levels.  Goofy adrenals or no, sista -- I believe that EVERYTHING about your symptoms will RIGHT themselves, once you're off and healed from the benzos.  Without a shadow of a doubt, IMO. :thumbsup:

At the risk of sounding dumb, I still don't know what my body needs. I stay upset, and I continue having adrenaline surges even when I'm calmed down; BP reached highest today due to upset from family stuff. One could always hope tomorrow will go better, but my nerves are shot.

It's okay that you don't know yet...you realize you've only been on this forum for about a week?  LOL silly :P  Of course you don't know yet!  But you will.  And soon, I believe.  You'll figure out your "sweet spot", your "groove", your "mojo" in this thing... :laugh::D

As far as the adrenal surges even though you're calm...again, very normal and common in withdrawal (exciting, right?)!  They STINK -- let's just come out and say it, okay?  BUT -- it's just one of those things that you'll learn how to 'ride out' when they happen.  They won't kill you, they don't harm you -- it just feels miserable.  I liken my body's response & reaction to stimuli kinda like a faulty alarm system.  So, even though the alarms are all clanging and bashing, there is no cause for alarm...and knowing this fact is very helpful to me in riding out my alarm system going off, LOL.  And YES -- it WILL heal back to a fully functional and healthy alarm system!  Again, it just takes time, and getting off the benzo and staying off :)

Your nerves are "shot" you say?  I would call it...your central nervous system has undergone some temporary, healable damage, and it causes you to be extra sensitive to any CNS stimuli.  It's not that your nerves are shot, friend...YOU didn't do anything to "shoot" them LOL.  They've just been made hypersensitive at this time.  So, knowing that, every day find ways to put yourself in a position where your alarm system won't get set off.  For everyone, it's a little different what that means.  For me, it meant not booking anything on my calendar in advance.  At ALL. It meant ONLY watching the sitcom Friends, because it's familiar and funny to me.  It meant NO reading the Facebook news feed; NO watching the news; NO new movies; NO old movies with any sort of drama, intensity, or passion; NO fighting with my husband; limited shopping; laying low immediately after getting off work, etc.  You get the idea, for me.  You'll need to figure out how to eliminate stimuli in your life, for this time period in your life...I called it "survival mode" for me, LOL!  I put myself in my "protective bubble", so that stimuli is almost non-existant, and it allows me to settle and calm.  This takes a few days to a few weeks to settle on down, depending on how revved I got from a single exposure.  Early on, it didn't take much to rev me up HIGH -- so my bubble was very exclusive and small.  Now, it takes a medium amount of stress to rev me up, so my bubble has expanded and I can live a little life along the journey.  It'll do the same for you, too -- it just takes time and patience :)

You are NOT broken beyond repair, friend.  Don't you believe that benzo lie for a second, okay?  It is a LIE.  We ALL heal, it's just a matter of allowing enough time to pass for that healing to manifest entirely.  Patience, time, and, in the words of my friend dear Carita on here, "devoted self-care"!! :thumbsup:

I feel scared to take too much...not even 1 mg total per day..especially after I've tapered a couple times last year.  Am I being over cautious? Sorry to keep bothering you all.

Cross that bridge when you get there, okay?  Let's see how you're feeling after you've been at your current dosing schedule (above) for at least 10 consistent days.  And if after this time, you find that you need to raise the dose a little higher to 1mg per day -- so what?  It is a temporary means to an end.  If that's what it takes to get you stable, and then you can proceed through a taper and stay stable, who cares if you start at 1mg or 0.75mg...or even 1.5mg?  I'm not saying that you'll need to start at 1.5mg; I am saying that, whatever it is, it is TEMPORARY...so if it's what you need to do in the short term, to best set you up for the long-term, so be it.  IMO. :thumbsup:

Okay, that's all the wind I have in me for tonight, friend.

Keep calm, and withdrawal on. :laugh: :laugh: :D;)

Mrs. :smitten:

(Oh, and when I tell you to 'relax', I don't mean to try and get yourself to feel relaxed...I'm just telling you, the Real You, to stop listening to the faulty alarm system and focus on the voices of truth.  NOT the voices of benzo.  Kapishe? :laugh: You're doing aaaaiiiight, kid :thumbsup: And you're going to be A-OKAY in all this! :thumbsup: )

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Be...]

• [mr...]

• [Ra...]

• [VC...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Mrs, boy have you ever got my respect!  Way to have a great attitude,  I aspire to such a great attitude about 'riding it out'.  Keep dishin it out girlfriend!! :):hug:

I called my psych like right now and didn't wanna go to his office again. He says drowsiness is a sign that the Librium 10 mg is working, and wants me to start Remeron 7.5 mg tonight along with Librium 20 mg. I'm so so worried, how in heaven am I gonna let go of my daily 2.5- 3 mg Xanax fix (he wants me to quit TODAY). He's Czech-american, maybe they do the withdrawal thing differently in Europe. I'm still worried!

Hi ashh. 

I would NOT stop my full dose of Xanax.  Also, Remeron is NOT a substitution for a benzo.  The amount of Librium that your doctor gave you is minuscule and NO WHERE NEAR the equivalency you would need for a cross over from 2.5-3mg of Xanax, according to the Ashton Manual.  Librium is a good benzo for a cross over, but it is much, much weaker than Valium. 

25mg of Librium equals .5mg of Xanax according to the Ashton Manual.

2.5mg of Xanax equals 125mg of Librium

3mg of Xanax equals 150mg of Librium

So you can see, the 20mg of Librium that your doctor gave you is but a 'tiny drop in the bucket' of what you would need to do a proper cross over.  Plus, cross overs must be done slowly, in stages to be successful, usually, according to Ashton.

Can you continue to get the Xanax until you convince your doctor of the equivalencies or find another doctor?

Well I'll show my psych the Ashton Manual although he might ask me who the doctor is, him or me. This is the first serious attempt I'm making at quitting benzos so please empathize with me. I'm totally confused and scared. I took an evening nap after taking .75 mg Xanax and 20 mg Librium and the only reaction was a headache and a spacey feeling. Do you think I oughta give my body some time to adjust to the Librium or switch over to Valium? Or should I try cutting Xanax by .25 mg (each dose) every week till I totally quit? My current dose is 3 mg Xanax daily in two 1.5 mg doses.

My psych says headache, a spaced out feeling, pressure in the head are all normal as the body adjusts to not having its Xanax fix. He wants me to maintain a healthful lifestyle with lots of fluids, exercise, and reading books to distract myself. I also suffer from OCD and anxiety and on Remeron for that.

Some perspective- I got a job in the Middle East, Qatar. They do not allow any form of any benzos in those countries. I shook, shivered, couldn't walk or talk properly, and couldn't even stand. I quit my great job and finally returned home a loser, all due to this darned Xanax which has taken over my life totally. I'm now jobless and stuck with crappy insurance via obummercare.

ashh --- I'm glad you mentioned that you experienced a cold turkey in Qatar.  I would not do that again if at all possible.  Tapering too quickly can cause ct type acute symptoms to happen again, so I believe it's a good idea taper very slowly.  We on this blog made the decision to taper directly from Xanax.  I tapered 3mg of Xanax in 9-months but I got very lucky to be able to reduce and taper off so quickly.  You can take a look at my detailed taper schedule, the link is in my signature. 

The only reason I would consider tapering using another benzo, (the substitution method), is if I got intolerable interdose withdrawal, (between dose withdrawal), that could not be alleviated by breaking up my Xanax dose to multiple times per day.

Yes, withdrawal symptoms are probably inevitable but by tapering slowly, these can be minimized a great deal. 

I would want to keep my reductions in the range of under 5 to 10% as long as possible.  I tapered .25mg from 3mg to 2mg, but this sent me into pretty heavy withdrawals.  If I had to do it over again, I would only taper .125mg from 3mg to 1.75mg.  Then I would start cutting only .0625mg, (a quarter of a .25mg), every 8 to 14 days until I was off.  Some people have to go even slower than this, (smaller chunks or water titration), to keep their symptoms manageable.  We taper by listening to our bodies and we're each unique in how we respond to a benzo taper.

I would definitely not try to taper off to zero in 25mg dose reductions.  I would also not try to cut each week but cut again only after I'd stabilized from my previous cut.  This can take anywhere from 8 to 14 days or more.  I did not feel/get hit by my dose reductions until the 4th or 5th day after the cut.  Then I would stabilize again within 2 to 5 days.  This is only when I would cut again.

My Xanax taper took over my life too.  It's a huge commitment but one I'm very glad I made because at 8-months off, I'm back to my old self, finally.

You can do this ashh.  Make up your mind, get a solid plan, execute it and you can certainly be benzo free.  :thumbsup:

ashh --- I'm glad you mentioned that you experienced a cold turkey in Qatar.  I would not do that again if at all possible.  Tapering too quickly can cause ct type acute symptoms to happen again, so I believe it's a good idea taper very slowly.  We on this blog made the decision to taper directly from Xanax.  I tapered 3mg of Xanax in 9-months but I got very lucky to be able to reduce and taper off so quickly.  You can take a look at my detailed taper schedule, the link is in my signature. 

The only reason I would consider tapering using another benzo, (the substitution method), is if I got intolerable interdose withdrawal, (between dose withdrawal), that could not be alleviated by breaking up my Xanax dose to multiple times per day.

Yes, withdrawal symptoms are probably inevitable but by tapering slowly, these can be minimized a great deal. 

I would want to keep my reductions in the range of under 5 to 10% as long as possible.  I tapered .25mg from 3mg to 2mg, but this sent me into pretty heavy withdrawals.  If I had to do it over again, I would only taper .125mg from 3mg to 1.75mg.  Then I would start cutting only .0625mg, (a quarter of a .25mg), every 8 to 14 days until I was off.  Some people have to go even slower than this, (smaller chunks or water titration), to keep their symptoms manageable.  We taper by listening to our bodies and we're each unique in how we respond to a benzo taper.

I would definitely not try to taper off to zero in 25mg dose reductions.  I would also not try to cut each week but cut again only after I'd stabilized from my previous cut.  This can take anywhere from 8 to 14 days or more.  I did not feel/get hit by my dose reductions until the 4th or 5th day after the cut.  Then I would stabilize again within 2 to 5 days.  This is only when I would cut again.

My Xanax taper took over my life too.  It's a huge commitment but one I'm very glad I made because at 8-months off, I'm back to my old self, finally.

You can do this ashh.  Make up your mind, get a solid plan, execute it and you can certainly be benzo free.  :thumbsup:

Lemme make a start by taking 1.25 mg Xanax and 10 mg Librium for the next 10 days, twice daily (and show the Ashton manual to my psych) and see how it goes. Xanax has nearly pushed me into poverty, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy  :-(

Just out of curiosity, has anybody else experienced eye flutters?

When I went from 1mg -> .75mg my eye was twitching all the time.  I think that might have something to do with withdrawaling from Xanax's muscle relaxant properties. 

I'm hoping this time going down .0625mg at a time I don't experience that.

Hey Lacey, My eyelid twitches sometimes.  Not sue if this is what you are talking about but mine started before I even started dropping my dose.  I started taking magnesium and I don't seem to get it anymore. 

hey lacey, Im good, how bout you?

I thought I was gonna jump but I found out I did my math wrong,,, I got one more cut first, then the next cut I'll jump... :sick:

hey guys.  I wake up at 4AM tweaking for xanax..every freaking morning.    I take it at

6-10-2-6-10. I only ever get 4-5 hours sleep on a good night...

thoughts

Hi Jerryk-

That's my dosing schedule too!  :thumbsup:  I slowly updosed from .25 as needed to .80 daily just to literally not ill-kay yself-may. It's made a huge difference. I barely need the 6p dose which is odd I guess, so unfortunately my dosing mgs aren't consistent because I take less then. I was going to water taper but not sure how with inconsistent dosing. I use a crazy gram scale now.  >:(:-[:idiot:  I get 5-6 hrs of sleep, but it's been okay. But I'm a total non-tapering newb right now.

Maybe your 4am issue is high cortisol?  At least 500 mg of Vitamin C before bed and when you wake up at that 4am time. I recommend a very expensive but well worth it food based C like Alive powder.  I don't doubt it's a withdrawal issue but maybe that would help?  I did that this am when I woke-up at 5a and fell back asleep until 7!  :o  There's a lot of dark chocolate talk first thing upon waking around these boards too. I have my 85% dark Choc bar at the ready but afraid to eat it so early, or at all, trying to avoid caffeine and stimulation.

Another thought is to make your bedtime dose larger, taking from another dose that seems adequate. Or to nudge the bedtime dose a bit later.

Let us know what you tried and what worked.  :smitten:

Just out of curiosity, has anybody else experienced eye flutters?

When I went from 1mg -> .75mg my eye was twitching all the time.  I think that might have something to do with withdrawaling from Xanax's muscle relaxant properties. 

I'm hoping this time going down .0625mg at a time I don't experience that.

Try magnesium supplements for the eye twitching. There's a lot mag is good for especially when your body is under stress. It's also very calming. Gotmag.org  I take Drs Best Magnesium  Glycinate which is a great brand. About 4-6 pills daily. Good luck!

it aint over til its over ashh, you got time for a comeback dude.. :thumbsup:

Thanks man. I hope I have the willpower to hang in there. I took 1 mg Xanax and 10 mg Valium. The Librium substitution didn't work and I'll try the taper with Valium. However, I do have a mild headache and a fear that I may be needing more Xanax than I was originally taking. I'll take a Tylenol for the headache and see how it goes. Nothing, not even Valium or Librium gives the kind of 'high' which Xanax gives. Quitting ain't gonna be easy, I'm planning to take Valium each time I get a sudden Xanax craving. That way, sufficient Diazepam will build up in my bloodstream as a buffer. I read Librium is largely useless because it is not lipid-soluble while other benzos are.

Taper is a little-understood subject even among psychs and they basically let you decide your own taper plan. I'm gonna stick with the Ashton manual and this is gonna be my initial taper plan:

1.5 mg Xanax daytime: 1 mg Xanax+10mg Valium in the evening or night for 10 days.

1 mg Xanax+10mg Valium daytime for 10 days: 1 mg Xanax+10mg Valium in the evening or night for 10 days

Then slowly cut the dosages over several months till I'm benzo-free totally.

hey lacey, Im good, how bout you?

I thought I was gonna jump but I found out I did my math wrong,,, I got one more cut first, then the next cut I'll jump... :sick:

Meh, 1 more cut aint bad.  I bet you're getting excited.

I think I'm doing ok, but it's hard to tell.  Only on day 2 since starting to taper again, and swapping my dose around, so I probably won't know for a bit how things are going.

Thanks man. I hope I have the willpower to hang in there. I took 1 mg Xanax and 10 mg Valium. The Librium substitution didn't work and I'll try the taper with Valium. However, I do have a mild headache and a fear that I may be needing more Xanax than I was originally taking. I'll take a Tylenol for the headache and see how it goes. Nothing, not even Valium or Librium gives the kind of 'high' which Xanax gives. Quitting ain't gonna be easy, I'm planning to take Valium each time I get a sudden Xanax craving. That way, sufficient Diazepam will build up in my bloodstream as a buffer. I read Librium is largely useless because it is not lipid-soluble while other benzos are.

Taper is a little-understood subject even among psychs and they basically let you decide your own taper plan. I'm gonna stick with the Ashton manual and this is gonna be my initial taper plan:

1.5 mg Xanax daytime: 1 mg Xanax+10mg Valium in the evening or night for 10 days.

1 mg Xanax+10mg Valium daytime for 10 days: 1 mg Xanax+10mg Valium in the evening or night for 10 days

It takes awhile to adjust to the false sense of security that "Xanax medicated brain" gives us. But the high is unreal. I choose clarity over Benzo head. As I move further and further away from popping a pill to feel normal, I realize how abnormal "normal" was.

You can do this ashh. You can take your life back from the Xanax beast.

Blue :smitten:

I'm missing my low-dose-ouchie buddy...Babyrex, you out there still?  How you doing, toots?  I miss you :smitten:

Carita, dear...you too...I could use a word or two from you today :smitten:

And my Hopefulgirl!  You've been there, too... :smitten:

This morning was a bit rocky & icky.  I did not go home from work (wanted to!), and I am here still this afternoon :)  Just took things in 15 minute segments this morning...I'm on to 30 minute segments this afternoon...hoping to continue to move that bracket of time upwards :)

Thanks for the support, all.  We're doing it, one day at a time!

Confused here,

I never experienced any type of "HIGH" when I used Xanax. I took for: PTSD (Medical Crises)

anxiety and Panic attacks. Xanax did help the anxiety and panic until I developed: REBOUND

ANXIETY from it. I know everyone calls this " tolerance withdrawal" but its not. Tolerance withdrawal

is when you have to take more of the Benzo to get the same result. IE: Opiates, Alcohol etc produce

a tolerance to the dose, as do benzo's. REBOUND Anxiety is horrible. The more Xanax you take

the worse the anxiety. As Blue stated: I feel so much better NOT having to take Xanax.

To those of you just starting your taper's, welcome to the forum.

Be Well~~~~

Peace

NFM :angel:

Hi ashh,

Just looking at your taper plan…it looks like you're planning to go from 2.5mg Xanax to 2mg in one cut.  I might suggest you go from 2.5 to 2.25 first… that's a 10% cut.  I'd see how that goes and ten days later do the next .25 or thereabouts…see how the first .25 cut goes. 

Anyone else with an opinion?

Challis  :)

Hi ashh,

Just looking at your taper plan…it looks like you're planning to go from 2.5mg Xanax to 2mg in one cut.  I might suggest you go from 2.5 to 2.25 first… that's a 10% cut.  I'd see how that goes and ten days later do the next .25 or thereabouts…see how the first .25 cut goes. 

As someone that just got knocked on his ass from a 25% cut, and had to reinstate, I would concur to keep the first cut on the smaller side to see how things go. There's not a lot of downside to doing it this way.  But, there is potentially a lot of downside to going too fast.

Confused here,

I never experienced any type of "HIGH" when I used Xanax. I took for: PTSD (Medical Crises)

anxiety and Panic attacks. Xanax did help the anxiety and panic until I developed: REBOUND

ANXIETY from it. I know everyone calls this " tolerance withdrawal" but its not. Tolerance withdrawal

is when you have to take more of the Benzo to get the same result. IE: Opiates, Alcohol etc produce

a tolerance to the dose, as do benzo's. REBOUND Anxiety is horrible. The more Xanax you take

the worse the anxiety. As Blue stated: I feel so much better NOT having to take Xanax.

Be Well~~~~

Peace

Aren't tolerance withdrawal and rebound anxiety the same thing?  I've never really known the difference, and am confused.

My interpretation was that you feel rebound anxiety, because you've built up a tolerance to your benzo dose, and between doses (when the dose starts wearing off) actually have less gaba than what you had before starting benzo's in the first place, and experience withdrawal.

I'm missing my low-dose-ouchie buddy...Babyrex, you out there still?  How you doing, toots?  I miss you :smitten:

This morning was a bit rocky & icky.  I did not go home from work (wanted to!), and I am here still this afternoon :)  Just took things in 15 minute segments this morning...I'm on to 30 minute segments this afternoon...hoping to continue to move that bracket of time upwards :)

Miss you too honey bun.  ;D

Hi all,

I was going to write an update tonight, but I'll just do it now.  My baseline has improved a little to about 10%.  And my waves are a tiny bit smaller.  These changes are almost imperceptible but enough to show I'm making progress.  I am still pretty much bedridden, but I'm getting up more and more.  Hubby took me for a short drive and I did fairly well until we got to the big river.  Large bodies of water really freak me out right now. 

For really the first time since the start of my taper I have confirmation that I am truly healing.  All of this pain and suffering has not been for naught, I will be well! 

:smitten:

Hey there Mrs.  :smitten: ... Just now jumping back onboard to catch up with messages ... So sorry your morning was rocky/icky....gosh, hope it improves...so very thankful for your wonderful help and encouragement and sending you a great big HUG!  :hug:

Confused here,

Be Well~~~~

Peace

Aren't tolerance withdrawal and rebound anxiety the same thing?  I've never really known the difference, and am confused.

My interpretation was that you feel rebound anxiety, because you've built up a tolerance to your benzo dose, and between doses (when the dose starts wearing off) actually have less gaba than what you had before starting benzo's in the first place, and experience withdrawal.

No, unfortunately Tolerance means: you are tolerant to the Drug, which in turn provides less than optimal

results. No longer working for you. You then "have to increase your dose".

Rebound Anxiety: Anxiety is increased even taking your therapeutic dose (you have upped your dose).

Interdose Withdrawal: What you experience due to the : Half life of your Xanax, ie 6-12 hours. You start

feeling jittery etc.

Withdrawal: The standard for Benzo Tapering and what your body is experiencing due to less of the

Benzo. This will appear at different times, levels of intensity, duration, symptoms etc.

GABA: GABA is called:gamma- Aminobutyric acid. The chief "Inhibitory"  Neurotransmitter in the CNS.      Benzo's takes over our natural GABA Function in our CNS, "displaces","reduces", or "down-regulates",

this Natural occurring "inhibitory neurotransmitter" in our Brain.

When you taper, you are "disrupting" the GABA neurotransmitter pathway's, preventing a naturally occurring

"inhibitory" response, which leads to: Benzo Withdrawal

Read: Parkers Post, Goes into depth about what is happening to your brain

Best wishes for a smooth taper.

Notforme :angel:

Hi ashh,

Challis, I advised an even less aggressive taper on a previous page, because ashh has experienced a cold turkey withdrawal once before.  We know what a cold turkey in a history has the potential to do to make subsequent withdrawals even more symptomatic.  Some folks still wish to try to cut faster.  :(

ashh, I've wrestled with what to say to you because the language that you are using makes me concerned that you could be struggling with an addiction vs a dependency, (or perhaps both).  You speak of highs and cravings and you also said that you would take a Valium if you experienced Xanax craving.  I've never craved a benzo or got high from a benzo, so I don't completely relate.  But the thing with a benzo taper that is of ultra importance is to get on a stable dose and stick with that dose every single day until it's time to reduce again.  Popping a Valium as-needed really has the potential to derail a taper, IMO.  I hope you can get a handle on how a benzo taper is to be managed before you get hit with intolerable symptoms and possibly find yourself unable to stabilize period.  Please be careful.

Hi ashh,

Challis, I advised an even less aggressive taper on a previous page, because ashh has experienced a cold turkey withdrawal once before.  We know what a cold turkey in a history has the potential to do to make subsequent withdrawals even more symptomatic.  Some folks still wish to try to cut faster.  :(

ashh, I've wrestled with what to say to you because the language that you are using makes me concerned that you could be struggling with an addiction vs a dependency, (or perhaps both).  You speak of highs and cravings and you also said that you would take a Valium if you experienced Xanax craving.  I've never craved a benzo or got high from a benzo, so I don't completely relate.  But the thing with a benzo taper that is of ultra importance is to get on a stable dose and stick with that dose every single day until it's time to reduce again.  Popping a Valium as-needed really has the potential to derail a taper, IMO.  I hope you can get a handle on how a benzo taper is to be managed before you get hit with intolerable symptoms and possibly find yourself unable to stabilize period.  Please be careful.

Very accurate and great advice, IMO Juliea.

NFM

There is no "right" or "wrong" in regards to dosing schedules, excepting that, whatever you do, you do it consistently--day in, day out...it's what works for YOU and your particular set of symptoms. 

This looks fine to me, for now.  And, no big deal on the accidental updose--it's not going to ruin anything. I'd say, just let it REST here for a while -- don't change anything more about what you've done.  Keep it at:

0.125mg at 10 am

0.125mg at 4 pm

0.5mg at 10 pm

for a while (at least 10-14 days), and don't gauge results based on one or two days, or if you happen to be symptomatic one of those days following a dose.  Your body is sensitive and you are dealing with a bit of instability currently -- it needs some time to rest.  Moving doses around to a different schedule, or moving your total daily dosage all the time, will act like a "cut" for a lot of people -- so if you keep jumping around, moving doses to different times of day, etc and you never let yourself get acclimated to that schedule, you will always stay somewhat 'inflamed'.  It's like constantly picking at a scab, and then wondering why the wound never heals, LOL :laugh:  Just let yourself BE for a bit, okay?

Ive slept two good nights on it, but only 3 hrs last night. I wake up at 4 or 4:30 am nearly every night - can't always go back to sleep.

This is completely normal for quite a few folks in withdrawal.  It's not fun, I know, but try and find some peace with it -- for your sake.  It's not going to hurt you, and your body WILL balance out -- it's just going to take time.  Lots and lots of time.  So, be thankful for your good night's sleeps, and be peaceful and patient with the nights that are not-so-good.  Know that it's not hurting you to lack some sleep; you'll just be tired the next day.  It's alright ;)

This could be due to hypoglycemic incidents causing cortisol spikes, or benzo crap. Adrenal stuff messes up sleep cycles and benzos mess up adrenals...sigh.

It's probably the benzos -- again, I can't tell you how many people deal with this symptom (early waking and unable to get back to sleep).  It's like I mentioned to JerryK earlier -- cortisol levels start to peak in the AM hours, so we in benzo withdrawal often feel the affects of it (early wakings, morning anxiety, morning dreads, etc).  It's not that our cortisol levels are abnormal -- it's just that our central nervous system is temporarily hypersensitive to it, so we feel it at magnified levels.  Goofy adrenals or no, sista -- I believe that EVERYTHING about your symptoms will RIGHT themselves, once you're off and healed from the benzos.  Without a shadow of a doubt, IMO. :thumbsup:

At the risk of sounding dumb, I still don't know what my body needs. I stay upset, and I continue having adrenaline surges even when I'm calmed down; BP reached highest today due to upset from family stuff. One could always hope tomorrow will go better, but my nerves are shot.

It's okay that you don't know yet...you realize you've only been on this forum for about a week?  LOL silly :P  Of course you don't know yet!  But you will.  And soon, I believe.  You'll figure out your "sweet spot", your "groove", your "mojo" in this thing... :laugh::D

As far as the adrenal surges even though you're calm...again, very normal and common in withdrawal (exciting, right?)!  They STINK -- let's just come out and say it, okay?  BUT -- it's just one of those things that you'll learn how to 'ride out' when they happen.  They won't kill you, they don't harm you -- it just feels miserable.  I liken my body's response & reaction to stimuli kinda like a faulty alarm system.  So, even though the alarms are all clanging and bashing, there is no cause for alarm...and knowing this fact is very helpful to me in riding out my alarm system going off, LOL.  And YES -- it WILL heal back to a fully functional and healthy alarm system!  Again, it just takes time, and getting off the benzo and staying off :)

Your nerves are "shot" you say?  I would call it...your central nervous system has undergone some temporary, healable damage, and it causes you to be extra sensitive to any CNS stimuli.  It's not that your nerves are shot, friend...YOU didn't do anything to "shoot" them LOL.  They've just been made hypersensitive at this time.  So, knowing that, every day find ways to put yourself in a position where your alarm system won't get set off.  For everyone, it's a little different what that means.  For me, it meant not booking anything on my calendar in advance.  At ALL. It meant ONLY watching the sitcom Friends, because it's familiar and funny to me.  It meant NO reading the Facebook news feed; NO watching the news; NO new movies; NO old movies with any sort of drama, intensity, or passion; NO fighting with my husband; limited shopping; laying low immediately after getting off work, etc.  You get the idea, for me.  You'll need to figure out how to eliminate stimuli in your life, for this time period in your life...I called it "survival mode" for me, LOL!  I put myself in my "protective bubble", so that stimuli is almost non-existant, and it allows me to settle and calm.  This takes a few days to a few weeks to settle on down, depending on how revved I got from a single exposure.  Early on, it didn't take much to rev me up HIGH -- so my bubble was very exclusive and small.  Now, it takes a medium amount of stress to rev me up, so my bubble has expanded and I can live a little life along the journey.  It'll do the same for you, too -- it just takes time and patience :)

You are NOT broken beyond repair, friend.  Don't you believe that benzo lie for a second, okay?  It is a LIE.  We ALL heal, it's just a matter of allowing enough time to pass for that healing to manifest entirely.  Patience, time, and, in the words of my friend dear Carita on here, "devoted self-care"!! :thumbsup:

I feel scared to take too much...not even 1 mg total per day..especially after I've tapered a couple times last year.  Am I being over cautious? Sorry to keep bothering you all.

Cross that bridge when you get there, okay?  Let's see how you're feeling after you've been at your current dosing schedule (above) for at least 10 consistent days.  And if after this time, you find that you need to raise the dose a little higher to 1mg per day -- so what?  It is a temporary means to an end.  If that's what it takes to get you stable, and then you can proceed through a taper and stay stable, who cares if you start at 1mg or 0.75mg...or even 1.5mg?  I'm not saying that you'll need to start at 1.5mg; I am saying that, whatever it is, it is TEMPORARY...so if it's what you need to do in the short term, to best set you up for the long-term, so be it.  IMO. :thumbsup:

Keep calm, and withdrawal on. :laugh: :laugh: :D;)

(Oh, and when I tell you to 'relax', I don't mean to try and get yourself to feel relaxed...I'm just telling you, the Real You, to stop listening to the faulty alarm system and focus on the voices of truth.  NOT the voices of benzo.  Kapishe? :laugh: You're doing aaaaiiiight, kid :thumbsup: And you're going to be A-OKAY in all this! :thumbsup: )

Mrs! You're AWESOME.:angel: Thank you for taking the time and effort to bring clarity to my situation last night when I was flipping out. So grateful. I was off the hook yesterday! 

Today I'm able to think without going full-tilt crazy over all this CNS stuff. Didn't cry once. No meltdowns. Symptoms are pretty tenacious but eased up some. Holding my dose schedule as is. Got my phone alarms all set. Dealing with waves of nausea/no appetite. Reminds me of being pregnant, oh-so-many-decades-ago. ???

Limiting stimuli makes GOOD SENSE - everything is flipping my switch. Hunkering down for survival mode, and doing whatever it takes. That may tick a few people off. In fact, I missed an important b'day party on Sunday due to extreme symptoms and family is still upset with me. I keep telling myself how different I'll be as time goes by...more able to cope, not so agoraphobic, not as fragile-feeling, etc.

Now, when I say my "nerves are shot" ..lol....my way of saying adrenal exhaustion...and everything you said hit home with me. I've already been diagnosed with the adrenal thing and found out today when labs came back that my FT3 is in the tank so no wonder I'm winded when I lift a heavy frying pan in the kitchen. Got a few issues to work out but until this benzo is out of my system, it'll be rough. Thank you for the reminder that I'm not broken beyond repair. I needed that HOPE. Will re-read your message and take note. This ol' gal is preparing for self-devoted care. All my life I've taken care of others, and it's finally come to the point I have to take care of me.

Thank you, dear Mrs.  :thumbsup::smitten:

Oh Mrs, I know those minute to minute days....glad it got a bit better in the afternoon. You are doing a great job. It takes an incredible amount of strength to keep at this. I often recall your post about the marathon...we are getting there one shaky step at a time. The fortitude required is admirable. When we climb out of the last wave we will be able to do anything!

I had a reasonable day yesterday after a night of A fib that kept me awake. I felt well enough to go to my women's group and learned a new technique called Trauma Releasing Exercise, TRE. Very interesting way to encourage your body to release stored stress related to trauma. I think it will be helpful with withdrawal stress.

Today is very challenging...I'm pulling out all of my tricks. It helps to have the brief windows of wellness...but slipping back becomes even harder. Like all of you I am so hungry to feel well.

Sending you support dear Mrs. Thanks for the message....you are a good friend to all of us.

With love,

Carita

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [ro...]
    • [Au...]
    • [ra...]
    • [fa...]
    • [SB...]
    • [...]
    • [kn...]
    • [Ab...]
    • [ka...]