Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

XANAX Support Blog: If you're tapering Xanax/alprazolam, join in the discussion!

[mr...]

OK, so for you brainy math heads,, not meth heads, yall be quiet,, but math heads...

Ashton says to jump at 0.5 of valium.... which is 0.025 mgs of xanax...

so if Im on about .0625 mgs of xanax, where am I? in relation to 0.025mgs.. above it,  below it.. where???

Ashton does not say jump at .5.  She has people jumping from 1mg.  In fine print at the bottom of the table, she states that for people who are having a very difficult time, then a jump at .5 is to be considered.

The reason I believe that so many of us can jump from .0625mg of Xanax, (1.25mg Valium), is that Valium really builds up in a person's system.  Valium is known for this accumulation factor, especially in the body tissues.  Xanax does not build up in our body tissues.  Xanax is in and then out quickly.  It's my opinion that .0625mg of Xanax is probably much more like .25-50mg of Valium for the purpose of ending a taper.  Plus, Ashton's equivalencies are only for the purpose of a cross over --- not a determinant of when to end a benzo taper of a different kind of benzo.  My opinion only.

So BB has had lots of folks jump from .0625 of Xanax to freedom with no further reduction?  I know you did, but others have too?

Oh yes, I'm by far not the lone ranger!  :laugh:  I'm not that brave.  ::)

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Be...]

• [mr...]

• [Ra...]

• [VC...]

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, so for you brainy math heads,, not meth heads, yall be quiet,, but math heads...

so if Im on about .0625 mgs of xanax, where am I? in relation to 0.025mgs.. above it,  below it.. where???

Ashton does not say jump at .5.  She has people jumping from 1mg.  In fine print at the bottom of the table, she states that for people who are having a very difficult time, then a jump at .5 is to be considered.

The reason I believe that so many of us can jump from .0625mg of Xanax, (1.25mg Valium), is that Valium really builds up in a person's system.  Valium is known for this accumulation factor, especially in the body tissues.  Xanax does not build up in our body tissues.  Xanax is in and then out quickly.  It's my opinion that .0625mg of Xanax is probably much more like .25-50mg of Valium for the purpose of ending a taper.  Plus, Ashton's equivalencies are only for the purpose of a cross over --- not a determinant of when to end a benzo taper of a different kind of benzo.  My opinion only.

So BB has had lots of folks jump from .0625 of Xanax to freedom with no further reduction?  I know you did, but others have too?

Sorry to pepper you with questions, but were the jumps from .0625 without major debilitating sx?  Just trying to garner strength and courage here.

The irregular heartbeats are so common that if someone didn't have them, I'd suspect he or she was faking benzo w/d.  I had more skipped beats than normal ones at times… I counted them!  Six months after I finished my taper they came back less intensely but I had all the signs of a heart attack for women along with the palps…had extensive cardio testing done and long story short…heart is better than most my age.

Go figure.

Challis  ;)

Omg! I feel better.....I think.... :-*

Thing is, with me, I landed in the hospital x 3 with A-fib. Once was related to thyroid meds, the last two times they just stuck me on a heart pill. Nobody questioned the benzo, and frankly I think loss of electrolytes was the culprit. Haven't had A-fib in 6 months, but these irregular heartbeats continue to show up daily on my BP  machine. I dont call them palps, because I only feel a buzziness in my chest and think it's adrenaline. But anyhoo....I do feel somewhat relieved knowing others have the irregular heart stuff. I just want all this to end!

Thanks, Challis.  :thumbsup:

- VCharis

Sorry to pepper you with questions, but were the jumps from .0625 without major debilitating sx?  Just trying to garner strength and courage here.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I was not slammed with acute withdrawal.  My jump was uneventful.  BUT, the reason I believe I did so well is that starting from just above 1.5mg, I started the .0625 linear cut.  That high in my taper this cut was way, way less than 10%.  So, doing a very small % cut for so long really enabled my body to very slowly get accustomed to getting less and less of the benzo and healing occurred.  Consequently, as I lowered my dose I felt better and better.  Right around .75mg, I started noticing a big change for the better in how I felt.  Just below .50, it got even better.  Then, by .25, I almost felt like I wasn't tapering any longer, I really felt little to no withdrawal from .25 to 0.  I believe this is because I cut so slowly starting above 1.5mg. 

The same principal can be applied to titration or using a scale, (small cuts).  I just chose to dry cut because quartering .25 mg Xanax was a no brainer for me.  Plus, my hands trembled due to my tolerance withdrawal that was occurring prior to beginning my taper and I could not manage dealing with the accuracy needed for titration, (spills).  My hands no longer tremble now that I'm off of Xanax!  :thumbsup:   

Hi Everyone,

Welcome to everyone who is new and hi to all my friends!  :smitten: I was offline for a few days and just finished reading to catch up. Mrs mentioned me a couple of times in regards to the heart issues and I am happy to help in any way that I can. Here is the link for a post I wrote a while back regarding treatments for the arrhythmias and fast heart rates. http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=89650.msg1159071#msg1159071 If you have any questions on this just let me know!

Great news is while I'm in bed right now with a wave. I have been having windows. I'm no where near 100% and still have symptoms everyday but I am just 4 months off and doing SO, SO much better. I loved reading NotForMe's update of symptoms so I will share the ones that come to mind for me. I had tons more but these are some of the big ones.

Symptoms that are gone or significantly diminished:

Intrusive Thoughts/Suicidal Thoughts: GONE

Weakness in my limbs: GONE

Hallucinations: GONE

Diarrhea: GONE

Nausea: ALMOST GONE

Knee joint pain: GONE

Bladder Issues/Infections: GONE

Panic Attacks: GONE

Anxiety: ALMOST GONE

Depression: GONE

Constant fear over medical issues: GONE

Skipped Beats/Heart Palps: ALMOST GONE (and I had a pre-existing condition)

Nightly Adrenaline Surges: GONE

Insomnia: ALMOST GONE

Hand Tremors: ALMOST GONE

2-D/Flat Vision: GONE

Symptoms that are improving but still present:

Head Pressure/Headache: My worst symptom by far and it is still present daily-however the intensity is much, much less

Vertigo: Much improved-it was constant for about 3 months and then there most of the time and now I have little episodes daily

Tinnitus: Much improved-it was constant for almost a year and now it is present about 50% of the time and is overall less intense

DP/DR: Much improved-instead of being all the time it just flares up and then leaves again. I look in the mirror sometimes and actually see myself. I've started stopping when that happens and talking to myself-I say, "Welcome Home! I've missed you! Thank you for all you've been doing to help me survive this. You are doing such a good job and I'm so proud of you. I love you and can't wait until all of this is in the past!" Maybe it sounds crazy but it is wonderful self-care. Our bodies and minds go through so much with all of this. Showing self-love is a gift. I am amazed at my body's resiliency.

Muscle pain/nerve pain/back pain/abdominal pain: Can still be pretty bad and is still consistently here but so much better!

Inability to drive: Much better-I still am not comfortable driving at night or long distances but on days when my symptoms are less I can and do drive!

I know that's a lot for now but I hope that for all of you in the healing process with me, you find some comfort in seeing that all of this does get better. I haven't been on here for a few days because I have been working again! I was completely debilitated for many months and now I am working on expanding my business. I actually hired 7 new part-time employees for the growth that I plan making happen in the upcoming weeks. I am even teaching an 8 hour workshop this Friday! I committed to it and honestly it isn't the best of ideas. I'd have been better off doing it over 4 hours but I am committed and the participants have paid and so I'm going to do it and just plan on coming straight home and jumping in bed. The fact is that it won't be easy and I may get revved up a bit but I can and will do it and wouldn't have been able to only months ago!

Love,

Hopefulgirl

HopefulGirl, what a wonderful, wonderful report!! The part about you talking to yourself in the mirror almost made me cry.  What fantastic news!!!!!!

Hooray, Hopefulgirl!

:highfive: :highfive: :mybuddy: :mybuddy: :clap: :clap: :yippee: :yippee:

So, SOOOO many of the symptoms on your list of "GONE" ones are ones I am MOST EXCITED to say "So Long" to!!

I've missed you, sweets :smitten:

But I'm glad you're out and living LIFE!!  2014 is a year full of LIFE for all of us!!

Glad to hear from ya!  Take care and stop back SOON! :smitten:

Mrs.  :smitten:

FB, VCharis, HopefulGirl:

Thank you for the support and well wishes with my taper finished :thumbsup:

Be Good to yourselves :smitten:

Notforme :smitten::angel:

HopefulGirl:

For all you have been through, I find such JOY in reading your post taper report~~~~~

May the Windows get longer and longer. To someone so deserving,  :thumbsup::smitten:

To a wonderful NEW LIFE :smitten:

Notforme :angel:

Well, I think that's probably because Xanax is short-acting, so within four or five hours it begins to wear off.  No doubt you're feeling the withdrawal between doses since you're dosing once a day.

What you do about it depends on how bad it is and what has or hasn't worked in the past for you.  You said you were affected by the Xanax too much if you split your doses up, so I'm not sure what to suggest.

Is the anxiety during the day tolerable or pretty much not?

Challis  :)

Have you tried something like .125mg in the a.m., .125mg in the afternoon and .75 at bedtime?

It's gotten pretty untolerable to the point where I've quit work and school.

I was thinking about doing .125mg in the am.  That's actually what I did today.

It seems like too much Xanax during the day and it relieves the anxiety, but adds bad depression.  Without Xanax during the day  get bad anxiety, and no depression.  I think regardless there is going to be some discomfort here.  I just have to find a happy medium with a day time dose that gives a little relief on the anxiety, but doesn't cause depression.

Hi Lacey23,

Xanax is short acting as others have noted. You might consider dosing evenly through out the

entire 24 hour day. I had to do this, to eleviate the interdose withdrawals I was experiencing. I just

set the clock, and took my dose. You need to get to a stable dose schedule. Everyone is unique, with

different body requirements.

We are here to help.  :smitten:

Quick question:

I'm updosing to about .80mg daily taken 4x so I can begin my taper.  Been doing this for 3 days.  The morning dose doesn't do much for the bad panic feeling and I get very nauseous. The afternoon dose... See morning dose.  But by the time the evening dose comes I'm way too relaxed and sedated and groggy and tired to even want to take it. I almost feel normal:o  Any suggestions?

Schedule for past 2 days:

6:15a - .25mg - too sedating, nausea

11:45a - .20 - light panic, nausea

5:45p - .20 - pass out zombie nap, "drunk" groggy

11:00p - .18 - slept okay through night (6hrs)

6:45a - .20mg xanax - panic, nausea

12:30p - .22mg xanax - panic, nausea

6:30 - none yet - don't want it, too damn tired.  ;)

Thanks guys! I feel like I keep asking things that no one knows the answer to because we are all different! A best guess is always helpful.

Quick question:

I'm updosing to about .80mg daily taken 4x so I can begin my taper.  Been doing this for 3 days.  The morning dose doesn't do much for the bad panic feeling and I get very nauseous. The afternoon dose... See morning dose.  But by the time the evening dose comes I'm way too relaxed and sedated and groggy and tired to even want to take it. I almost feel normal:o  Any suggestions?

5:45p - .20 - zombie sleep, "drunk" groggy

11:00p - .18 - slept okay

Thanks guys! I feel like I keep asking things that no one knows the answer to because we are all different! A best guess is always helpful.

Mac,

I followed a similar pattern, where mornings were ickier than evenings.  I believe this is due to cortisol levels being the highest in the mornings.  Note that this does not mean that our cortisol levels are abnormal, but that we are perhaps very sensitive to it because of our central nervous system sensitivities. Anyways, I take 500mg vitamin C at bedtime (10:30pm), and then I take 1000mg vitamin C alongside my 3:15am dose, and then I take another 500mg vitamin C upon awaking (6:45-7am).  This has helped to relieved the morning symptoms.  It's not perfect, but it's been a significant help.

Regarding your dosing schedule, you'll just need to figure out what works best for you :thumbsup:  I think it's very smart that you're dosing multiple times throughout the day.  As far as the amount per dose goes, it's probably best to keep them as consistent as possible, if interdose withdrawals are an issue.  Switching things day-to-day, and then trying to gauge if it's helping over the course of 1-2 days is probably not effective.  For me, switching the dosing schedule around, even a little, acted a little like a "cut" did, so in order for you to be able to tell if it's helping or not would probably require at least a week at the same schedule.  So, long story short...whatever you decide to try, try it...but stick to it for a week or so to really gauge if it's helping, okay?  You'll be surprised at how much just being steady in dosing for a while will settle things down ;)

I'm going to go grab supper at the grocery store, but will be back later :)  Take care till then!

Mrs. :smitten:

Quick question:

5:45p - .20 - zombie sleep, "drunk" groggy

11:00p - .18 - slept okay

Mac,

I followed a similar pattern, where mornings were ickier than evenings.  I believe this is due to cortisol levels being the highest in the mornings.  Note that this does not mean that our cortisol levels are abnormal, but that we are perhaps very sensitive to it because of our central nervous system sensitivities. Anyways, I take 500mg vitamin C at bedtime (10:30pm), and then I take 1000mg vitamin C alongside my 3:15am dose, and then I take another 500mg vitamin C upon awaking (6:45-7am).  This has helped to relieved the morning symptoms.  It's not perfect, but it's been a significant help.

Regarding your dosing schedule, you'll just need to figure out what works best for you :thumbsup:  I think it's very smart that you're dosing multiple times throughout the day.  As far as the amount per dose goes, it's probably best to keep them as consistent as possible, if interdose withdrawals are an issue.  Switching things day-to-day, and then trying to gauge if it's helping over the course of 1-2 days is probably not effective.  For me, switching the dosing schedule around, even a little, acted a little like a "cut" did, so in order for you to be able to tell if it's helping or not would probably require at least a week at the same schedule.  So, long story short...whatever you decide to try, try it...but stick to it for a week or so to really gauge if it's helping, okay?  You'll be surprised at how much just being steady in dosing for a while will settle things down ;)

I'm going to go grab supper at the grocery store, but will be back later :)  Take care till then!

Mrs. :smitten:

Thank you for your reply! May I ask what your dosing schedule is? And also what type of C you take? I have Alive (food based) C.

Hi Everyone,

Welcome to everyone who is new and hi to all my friends!  :smitten: I was offline for a few days and just finished reading to catch up. Mrs mentioned me a couple of times in regards to the heart issues and I am happy to help in any way that I can. Here is the link for a post I wrote a while back regarding treatments for the arrhythmias and fast heart rates. http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=89650.msg1159071#msg1159071 If you have any questions on this just let me know!

Great news is while I'm in bed right now with a wave. I have been having windows. I'm no where near 100% and still have symptoms everyday but I am just 4 months off and doing SO, SO much better. I loved reading NotForMe's update of symptoms so I will share the ones that come to mind for me. I had tons more but these are some of the big ones.

Symptoms that are gone or significantly diminished:

Intrusive Thoughts/Suicidal Thoughts: GONE

Weakness in my limbs: GONE

Hallucinations: GONE

Diarrhea: GONE

Nausea: ALMOST GONE

Knee joint pain: GONE

Bladder Issues/Infections: GONE

Panic Attacks: GONE

Anxiety: ALMOST GONE

Depression: GONE

Constant fear over medical issues: GONE

Skipped Beats/Heart Palps: ALMOST GONE (and I had a pre-existing condition)

Nightly Adrenaline Surges: GONE

Insomnia: ALMOST GONE

Hand Tremors: ALMOST GONE

2-D/Flat Vision: GONE

Symptoms that are improving but still present:

Head Pressure/Headache: My worst symptom by far and it is still present daily-however the intensity is much, much less

Vertigo: Much improved-it was constant for about 3 months and then there most of the time and now I have little episodes daily

Tinnitus: Much improved-it was constant for almost a year and now it is present about 50% of the time and is overall less intense

DP/DR: Much improved-instead of being all the time it just flares up and then leaves again. I look in the mirror sometimes and actually see myself. I've started stopping when that happens and talking to myself-I say, "Welcome Home! I've missed you! Thank you for all you've been doing to help me survive this. You are doing such a good job and I'm so proud of you. I love you and can't wait until all of this is in the past!" Maybe it sounds crazy but it is wonderful self-care. Our bodies and minds go through so much with all of this. Showing self-love is a gift. I am amazed at my body's resiliency.

Muscle pain/nerve pain/back pain/abdominal pain: Can still be pretty bad and is still consistently here but so much better!

Inability to drive: Much better-I still am not comfortable driving at night or long distances but on days when my symptoms are less I can and do drive!

I know that's a lot for now but I hope that for all of you in the healing process with me, you find some comfort in seeing that all of this does get better. I haven't been on here for a few days because I have been working again! I was completely debilitated for many months and now I am working on expanding my business. I actually hired 7 new part-time employees for the growth that I plan making happen in the upcoming weeks. I am even teaching an 8 hour workshop this Friday! I committed to it and honestly it isn't the best of ideas. I'd have been better off doing it over 4 hours but I am committed and the participants have paid and so I'm going to do it and just plan on coming straight home and jumping in bed. The fact is that it won't be easy and I may get revved up a bit but I can and will do it and wouldn't have been able to only months ago!

Love,

Hopefulgirl

Wow! I'm so encouraged, Hopefulgirl. Will be back tomorrow to ask a question or two. Meanwhile, congrats on your recovery and please know how much it gives me hope. No wonder they call you HOPEFULGIRL!  :smitten:

Well, I think that's probably because Xanax is short-acting, so within four or five hours it begins to wear off.  No doubt you're feeling the withdrawal between doses since you're dosing once a day.

What you do about it depends on how bad it is and what has or hasn't worked in the past for you.  You said you were affected by the Xanax too much if you split your doses up, so I'm not sure what to suggest.

Is the anxiety during the day tolerable or pretty much not?

Challis  :)

Have you tried something like .125mg in the a.m., .125mg in the afternoon and .75 at bedtime?

It's gotten pretty untolerable to the point where I've quit work and school.

I was thinking about doing .125mg in the am.  That's actually what I did today.

It seems like too much Xanax during the day and it relieves the anxiety, but adds bad depression.  Without Xanax during the day  get bad anxiety, and no depression.  I think regardless there is going to be some discomfort here.  I just have to find a happy medium with a day time dose that gives a little relief on the anxiety, but doesn't cause depression.

Hi Lacey23,

Xanax is short acting as others have noted. You might consider dosing evenly through out the

entire 24 hour day. I had to do this, to eleviate the interdose withdrawals I was experiencing. I just

set the clock, and took my dose. You need to get to a stable dose schedule. Everyone is unique, with

different body requirements.

We are here to help.  :smitten:

I appreciate your post notforme.  Actually I haven't talked to you before, but read your update earlier, and it was great to read. Thank you very much for that.

I think I am going to be moving some of my Xanax dose to the day time.  I just have to find a balance that doesn't give me day time depression, but aleviates some of the day time anxiety.  For now, I think I'm going to go with .8125mg at night, and .125mg in the morning.  This will be a .0625 dose reduction in totality.  Hopefully it works out.  I might have to consider moving more of it to the day time if it doesn't.

Out of curiosity, were you initially taking it all at night, and how did you go about switching it to the day?

Weakness...normal tasks seem exhausting....

Is this a symptom.

For me it was!

Its totally resolved now; I no longer suffer from fatigue or weakness :thumbsup: You will heal all along your tapering journey!

I was so weak at one point I cried just trying to put on sock on... :'(

of course I went from 220 lbs to 170, so getting rid of the belly helped  :laugh:

I dunno if benzos make ya gain weight, I thought it was fluid from the metoprolol, but as I tapered I lost that much, so I guess it was the benzos, cause I didnt change anything else...

Benzy, the adrenaline surges all last year caused me to lose appetite, have nausea, and lost 25 lbs. I'm still not crazy about food so much.

Wish someone could help me. I woke up at 4:30 am again, this time could not fall back asleep. Slept 1:10am - 4:30 am...not so good. About to cry, I'm so tired.

Also, I need to ask again...are these constant irregular heartbeats on my BP machine benzo w/d?? Or is this just adrenal exhaustion and HPA axis problems? Are they one and the same? How in the world am I ever gonna find a doctor to help me? Some of those here weren't on benzos that long, I've been on them for over a dozen years, prn and everything in between. Guess I'm freaking out again. I can't keep going like this. The chiro/health coach is trying to get me set up with adrenal supps, but I'm afraid it'll worsen everything. Plus, I just read we shouldn't take hormones if our HPA axis is messed up, and I'm on a patch and progesterone. Crap. I don't have money to keep looking around for doctors. I'm so afraid, so exhausted, so abandoned by family and people who don't understand how sick I feel. I've been walking like this since last January (2013)....all year, with little let up.

Hi Hopeful,

I am so happy my jump buddy is doing so well!  Good to hear you are getting on with your life.  Your post gives me so much encouragement.

Mama  :smitten:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [bi...]
    • [ka...]
    • [ka...]
    • [Ka...]
    • [Ev...]
    • [Go...]
    • [Kr...]
    • [El...]
    • [Ab...]
    • [Au...]