Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

XANAX Support Blog: If you're tapering Xanax/alprazolam, join in the discussion!

[mr...]

Notforme,

I plan on taking your advice, "KNOW YOURSELF AND KNOW YOUR LIMITS, and don't obsess about things."

It is encouraging that you are doing so well.

Mama  :smitten:

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Be...]

• [mr...]

• [Ra...]

• [VC...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, any change to a prescription would require a doctor's orders.

This brings up a question I have about compounding pharmacies...

If someone has a xanax script that reads .5mg 3 x a day, but they're tapering and need oddball sized doses (for example, they've tapered down to .625mg a day total and need .2084mg 3 x a day), they can't take that bottle of xanax to the compounding pharmacy and have them make up the oddball sized doses without a new rx from the doctor?

If someone has a xanax script that reads .5mg 3 x a day, but they're tapering and need oddball sized doses (for example, they've tapered down to .625mg a day total and need .2084mg 3 x a day), they can't take that bottle of xanax to the compounding pharmacy and have them make up the oddball sized doses without a new rx from the doctor?

Rayman,

From what I understand, a compounding tablet is usually for s consistent sized pill. So for example, if you decided you wanted to taper one half of 0.0625mg cut (so, 0.03125mg), you could have your doctor write a scrip to your compounding pharmacy for a month's supply of your daily dosages, all in 0.03125mg capsules for you. But, I do not believe that they can change your tablet size with each cut you'd make. I believe Hopefulgirl did the compounding cuts...she had something like 0.03125mg capsules made, and just took as many of them per day as required to reach her daily dose (which I think at the time was 8 capsules per day). When she was ready to make a cut, she'd then just remove one capsule from her daily dosage and hold that for a couple weeks. And so on.

If you'd prefer yo be able to have a gradual daily dosage reduction, you could opt to water taper. I do this method, and would be happy to talk you through it, if you want.

Hope this helps ya! Any other questions, just ask away :)

Rayman:

You are correct. I used Compounded Xanax Capsules. Your Dr. has to prescribe the dose amount

to be compounded. For example: I had .0625mg of Xanax capsules compounded. My Dr. wrote a new script

for the Compound Pharmacy to read: Xanax dose of .0625mg per capsule to be compounded. Patient will follow taper

schedule as directed." The "key" to compounding is you are receiving the "exact" amount each time you

dose.

Writing a new script is required regardless if you are compounding a drug dose or changing the way

you dose, per Dr. If you Dr. even changes the way you dose from 2 TID to 4 TID and increases the amount

of the Benzo you would require, any Pharmacy would require a NEW script to be written.

Any further questions, you can ask me.

Notforme

Just wondering if any of you had sinus issues while on or weaning off of xanax.  Sometimes my head just feels all blocked up.  It seems to come on mid morning and then goes away just as fast as it comes.  I dropped my dosage a little over a week ago but was having these issues before I even started decreasing my dosage.  Thanks

Just wondering if any of you had sinus issues while on or weaning off of xanax.  Sometimes my head just feels all blocked up.  It seems to come on mid morning and then goes away just as fast as it comes.  I dropped my dosage a little over a week ago but was having these issues before I even started decreasing my dosage.  Thanks

Its a common one (albeit odd!) :thumbsup:

What a wonderful post withdrawal message, Notforme.  It could not have happened to a nicer person.  I'm so happy that things are going well for you.

Love,  :smitten:

Juliea

Thank you Juliea!

Both you and I were going thru acute withdrawal the same months. Too think you and I have come

this far....... Its a great feeling. As I am also Happy for You that your post taper is going well. :smitten:

To those of you new, Juliea, Lisa, StevieFan, and a few other(s) all tapered off of Xanax. Tapering

Xanax is a challenge. Most encourage a Valium cross over. But I am with Juliea on this. It was Better for

me to taper using the Benzo my body new to one it did not. Even with the horrid symptoms.  :tickedoff:

You all will be okay, just go at a pace that is manageable (You will NOT escape withdrawal) get

to a good place to taper, use BB for your support, reach out. :thumbsup:

NFM :angel:

Notforme,

I plan on taking your advice, "KNOW YOURSELF AND KNOW YOUR LIMITS, and don't obsess about things."

It is encouraging that you are doing so well.

Mama  :smitten:

Hi Mama!

Thank you for your warmth. Its so important to be in Life. I know it can be difficult with days

that you don't feel okay. One thing I always remind myself of is: Even if I never had taken a Benzo

prior, I still would have had good and not so good days. When you LIVE LIFE, LIFE HAPPENS.

Your going to be just fine, Mama~ :smitten:

Warmly, Notforme :angel:

Rayman:

You are correct. I used Compounded Xanax Capsules. Your Dr. has to prescribe the dose amount

to be compounded. For example: I had .0625mg of Xanax capsules compounded. My Dr. wrote a new script

for the Compound Pharmacy to read: Xanax dose of .0625mg per capsule to be compounded. Patient will follow taper

schedule as directed." The "key" to compounding is you are receiving the "exact" amount each time you

dose.

Writing a new script is required regardless if you are compounding a drug dose or changing the way

you dose, per Dr. If you Dr. even changes the way you dose from 2 TID to 4 TID and increases the amount

of the Benzo you would require, any Pharmacy would require a NEW script to be written.

Any further questions, you can ask me.

Notforme

Well that's a bummer.  I was hoping I could just take my current bottle (1mg pills) into a compounding pharmacy and tell them to convert them into 'X' amount of capsules containing 'X' amount of xanax.  It's almost impossible to accurately cut the 1mg pills into anything smaller than .25mg if I need them.

Requiring a new script definately puts the brakes on that.

Guess I'll start looking into water titration.

Thanks.

Ok, I think I'm going to start over again with withdrawal.  I've bumped back up to 1mg lately at night, but still going through inter-dose withdrawal all day. 

I have a question for some of you.  I don't seem to do well being under the influence of benzo's during the day.  I feel stoned, fatigued, bad depression.  But, I also hate this feeling of anxiety all day. 

Would it be reasonable to take a small amount of my night time dose, and take it in the morning, to help with some of the anxiety during the day, but also not enough to make me stoned/depressed/fatigued.

For example currently taking 1mg once at night.

Instead take .875mg at night, and .125mg during the day?

Also, this time I plan to do smaller cuts of .0625mg.  I ended up clearing the calendar for the next while to get this dealt with, so I'm not in a rush to get off this stuff like last time.

Its a common one (albeit odd!) :thumbsup:

Thanks Mrs ALW, It is a bit odd.  Xanax can cause so many things.

Ok, I think I'm going to start over again with withdrawal.  I've bumped back up to 1mg lately at night, but still going through inter-dose withdrawal all day. 

I have a question for some of you.  I don't seem to do well being under the influence of benzo's during the day.  I feel stoned, fatigued, bad depression.  But, I also hate this feeling of anxiety all day. 

Would it be reasonable to take a small amount of my night time dose, and take it in the morning, to help with some of the anxiety during the day, but also not enough to make me stoned/depressed/fatigued.

Also, this time I plan to do smaller cuts of .0625mg.  I ended up clearing the calendar for the next while to get this dealt with, so I'm not in a rush to get off this stuff like last time.

If you've gotten rid of anything that could add to the anxious feeling (supplements, caffeine, chocolate, etc) you could try some crumbs off the 1 mg nightly dose.  That would have worked for me, but that's not to say it will work for you but it's an option to try if you want to.  As long as I stuck to a 24 hour dose (same amount in 24 hours ) I didn't have much problem with inter-dose symptoms.

Doesn't work for everyone though…  :)

If you've gotten rid of anything that could add to the anxious feeling (supplements, caffeine, chocolate, etc) you could try some crumbs off the 1 mg nightly dose.  That would have worked for me, but that's not to say it will work for you but it's an option to try if you want to.  As long as I stuck to a 24 hour dose (same amount in 24 hours ) I didn't have much problem with inter-dose symptoms.

Doesn't work for everyone though…  :)

I dunno, my interdose symptoms are pretty brutal in all honesty.  I've gotten rid of caffeine, and eat pretty well. Atleast I think it's interdose symptoms.  That's the only thing that kind of logically lines up for me, on what could be making me feel all this anxiety. I feel fine after my nightly dose, but then by the morning I have anxiety again. 

Well, I think that's probably because Xanax is short-acting, so within four or five hours it begins to wear off.  No doubt you're feeling the withdrawal between doses since you're dosing once a day.

What you do about it depends on how bad it is and what has or hasn't worked in the past for you.  You said you were affected by the Xanax too much if you split your doses up, so I'm not sure what to suggest.

Is the anxiety during the day tolerable or pretty much not?

Challis  :)

Well, I think that's probably because Xanax is short-acting, so within four or five hours it begins to wear off.  No doubt you're feeling the withdrawal between doses since you're dosing once a day.

What you do about it depends on how bad it is and what has or hasn't worked in the past for you.  You said you were affected by the Xanax too much if you split your doses up, so I'm not sure what to suggest.

Have you tried something like .125mg in the a.m., .125mg in the afternoon and .75 at bedtime?

I've just returned from a weeks vacation in Key West.  :D I had a blast.  >:D  This is why I'm not caught up with the board. 

Charis, I don't know what to say about the kindling possibility.  The only thing that kindling means for those of us who taper is that having previous withdrawals might make a subsequent withdrawal more difficult.  Please don't adopt that label until you feel you really need to.  If it were me, I would not worry about it --- EVERYONE, needs to take great care when they taper off of a benzo and do the taper in a way that is the most comfortable.  These symptoms that you're having are so common.  Especially the heart palps.  You've been checked out, right?  This is important.

I would do my very best to stabilize.  Starting a taper from a point of stability is golden in the taper business.  If we begin our taper from a point of stability, then with each dose reduction we can stabilize again if we reduce our dose in tiny increments.

Personally, I would not cross over to Valium if I were in your shoes because insomnia is your biggest problem that you took benzos for.  Valium is very sedating at first, but this sedation wears off quickly.  Valium is not a good med for sleep because it does not come on strong like Xanax does.  If I had terrible insomnia during my taper, I would have asked my doctor for Remeron, (with the knowledge that it also must be tapered).  I believe sleep is very important to healing during a benzo taper.  Luckily my insomnia didn't return with a vengeance until the day I jumped.  My doctor prescribed Vistaril and this helped get me over the hump, but I refused to take it nightly.  Melatonin didn't work well when I took Xanax, but now that I'm benzo free, it helps a great deal.

Since I did not suffer from interdose withdrawal, it's hard for me to offer support on what to do other than dose multiple times per day.  Many, many people advised me to break up my dosing.  But it didn't feel right to me, so I didn't.  However, if I'd had interdose withdrawal, I believe that I would have recognized this and I would have definitely broken up my dosing to multiple times per day.

You can do this.  :thumbsup:  Just go slow and ease your way off after you get stable. 

Thanks Juliea! And Mrsalw, too! Just getting back on the forum. Last night was rough!! I cried an ocean.

Back today, started off better. So here's my thoughts. I didn't know much about kindling anyway, so I'm not assuming anything, but since I DID wean off briefly a couple times this past year (never lasted more than a month), will that make this time harder?? Appreciate any encouragement. Biggest symptoms are adrenaline surges w/BP elevations and irregular heartbeats (felt or not felt) but documented on my BP machine. I keep a daily log. It's almost like bio-feedback for me. If I feel strange, or just need to spot-check, I use the BP machine and see the irregular heartbeats and freak out, then settle down to do some gentle breathing and calming exercises. It helps.

I DID get my heart checked out, but I'm taking Sotolol for A-fib. This past week's EKG showed normal range, even though the irregularities were happening.

Not thinking my new doc will switch me to Valium anyway, and since I'm at the end with Xanax, shouldn't I just taper with it? Maybe the doc would give me 0.25 to make dry cuts easier. If I was off the stuff, could going back for 3-4 weeks really set me back that bad? My main concern is that these heart irregularities don't worsen during taper. Yet some say you never really stabilize on Xanax at this point. What do you think?

Everyone tells me educate myself about benzo recovery but I think I've read enough to scare me for the rest of my life. I avoided the forum/internet all day to avoid upset, but then stepped in a family minefield and got upset so bad I was trembling and crying for two hours. This is part and parcel of adrenal exhaustion, which I've had testing for. Heart arrhythmias, HPA axis dyregulation, mineral depletion, electrolyte imbalance, BP fragility, etc - all part of adrenals, not just benzo withdrawal, as far as I'm reading per Dr. Lam online.  Btw, THANK YOU for the link on HPA axis dyregulation and benzos. Excellent stuff. I'll have to take a copy to my doctor.

I wondered if I did the right thing by adding 0.25mg at 1 pm, when i was only taking 0.5mg at bedtime. But before than I was all over the map, with dosing at 4 am if I couldn't sleep, when upset, etc. -never more than 0.7mg total, once 1 mg. I'm settled, at least at 0.75 mg daily (total). Advice?

I slept 8 hours last night. That makes me human again.

Love this group and all of you are so special. I can tell.

Shout out to MRSalw!!  :smitten:

I have a hard time ferreting through the maze in here...but I'm reading along and counting on your support until the day I can offer more myself.

Thank,

VCharis

PS---Are these irregular heartbeats part of the interdose withdrawal or my HPA dysregulation? Hmmm...inquiring minds...I wake up fine, but once stirring around,the BP machine detects them again. I can't just sit around all my life, can I? lol

Have you tried something like .125mg in the a.m., .125mg in the afternoon and .75 at bedtime?

It's gotten pretty untolerable to the point where I've quit work and school.

I was thinking about doing .125mg in the am.  That's actually what I did today.

It seems like too much Xanax during the day and it relieves the anxiety, but adds bad depression.  Without Xanax during the day  get bad anxiety, and no depression.  I think regardless there is going to be some discomfort here.  I just have to find a happy medium with a day time dose that gives a little relief on the anxiety, but doesn't cause depression. 

Love you, NFM!!! :smitten:

How is FREEDOM treating you? I'm at the final stretch, and am looking onward to the finish line :) I'd love to hear what's changed for you since you've jumped :)

Hope all has been well! Have a great day, dear NFM :smitten:

Hi Mrs :)

Freedom is going well. I had a lot of sx, just like everyone.

Symptoms NO longer present:

Dp/Dr

Intrusive Thoughts ( I could not believe it just STOPPED like that)

Ideations of Ill Health

Anxiety, funny how this was my one of the reason's for taking Xanax

Panic is diminishing daily as in a lot

Painful Right Arm Impingement. I had for over 6 months. I thought I was going to have to go

to the Dr. I EXCERCISED my arm every day or every other day. Warmed up first,

then did PT at home, in shower. I could not lift my Right arm up. GONE

Inflammation in my lymph nodes is diminishing

I can READ, LISTEN to MUSIC, play my piano. Noise is okay. Even with children.

Watch shows I could not before.

Walk, walk and more walking.

Agoraphobia is GONE, This was crucial in the beginning as I could not leave my home.

Laughter is back

Wake up and go to bed at the same time everynight. Please, everyone develop this habit.

Don't Obsess about things.

Things that are improving, but still have:

Benzo Belly, working on it

Muscle aches and pains come and go

Get overwhelmed easily, got to watch that one

Try not to overdue anything.

Best advice:    KNOW YOURSELF AND YOUR LIMITS.............

Wishing you a good "Farewell" to Xanax, Mrs. Plus you WORKED~~~~~~~

Thanks for the LOVE~

Back to you and all of Xanax Taperer's here~~~~

Notforme :angel:

Wow, Notforme,

What a wonderful post full of inspiration and healing.  I am soooo happy for you. It sure gives those of us who are starting our journey something to be hopeful about and to look forward to. 

Way to be strong and get to where you wanted to be...Benzo Free!

Congrats!!!!!!

Hugs :hug:

FLuterByee

Yes!! I, too, feel inspired by your wonderful progress report, NotForMe!! Dreaming of the day I'm totally benzo-free. Yay!!

I would do my very best to stabilize.  Starting a taper from a point of stability is golden in the taper business.  If we begin our taper from a point of stability, then with each dose reduction we can stabilize again if we reduce our dose in tiny increments.

Personally, I would not cross over to Valium if I were in your shoes because insomnia is your biggest problem that you took benzos for.  Valium is very sedating at first, but this sedation wears off quickly.  Valium is not a good med for sleep because it does not come on strong like Xanax does.  If I had terrible insomnia during my taper, I would have asked my doctor for Remeron, (with the knowledge that it also must be tapered).  I believe sleep is very important to healing during a benzo taper.  Luckily my insomnia didn't return with a vengeance until the day I jumped.  My doctor prescribed Vistaril and this helped get me over the hump, but I refused to take it nightly.  Melatonin didn't work well when I took Xanax, but now that I'm benzo free, it helps a great deal.

Since I did not suffer from interdose withdrawal, it's hard for me to offer support on what to do other than dose multiple times per day.  Many, many people advised me to break up my dosing.  But it didn't feel right to me, so I didn't.  However, if I'd had interdose withdrawal, I believe that I would have recognized this and I would have definitely broken up my dosing to multiple times per day.

You can do this.  :thumbsup:  Just go slow and ease your way off after you get stable. 

Juliea, hope you had a fabulous vacation, btw.  :thumbsup:

In the beginning (years ago) xanax was prescribed during a depression with anxiety. I've since overcome both through nutritional/mineral repletion, but what anxiety I'm experiencing now may be due to 1) xanax itself, or 2) fear of complications, heartwise (A-fib patient). Eventually as I weaned off Seroquel for sleep, I just took xanax instead while bumping up my magnesium....it helped. I've used a generic Vistaril - didn't do much for me. Good suggestion, though. Will continue my magnesium since I was so depleted.

Question - that I forgot to ask - can  you take melatonin with Xanax okay?

Also, since you say to "stabilize"....I was completely weaned, and the biggest symptom is irregular heartbeat/adrenaline surges. This could be happening anyway due the poor state of my adrenals. I'd hate to bump up my xanax to 'stabilize' if this were so; after all - I did manage to safely taper off x 2 last year. It was the PRN useage afterwards that caused issues, I guess. Thanks for everything you shared. When I'm feeling most anxious (over the heartbeats/surges) that's when i want some more xanax but I know it won't even help. Think I'l stick with Xanax tapering...have enough pills for 6 months.

0.50mg at bedtime

0.25 at 1pm.

Would it make sense to cut that 0.25 in half and take it spread out a bit more? Or if I managed to taper off once a day, what should it matter at this point?

I may have been having interdose w/d all these years, but then again, maybe not - as long as I took one a day, I seemed okay except for occasional anxiety. I just want the heart regular again.

all you new guys,  you need to be careful not to absorb all the horror stories you read on here...

you'll have your own story, some will be similar, some wont.... but in the frame of mind that benzo withdrawals puts you in, you can absorb everything you read and experience it too if youre not careful... if you can try to keep control of your "mind", you might not experience a large majority of it..so be careful with your "thoughts"....FYI...

ps. I highly reccommend the body scan meditation, its free and one youtube, they walk you through it, to slow down and decide exactly "how bad you feel, or not" when you experience some bad feeling and such....

VC,

Since you desire to taper directly off of Xanax, are you thinking of dry-cutting your way off again, or are you desiring to do something slower and/or more gradual?  You can dry-cut using the 0.0625mg method (1/4 of a 0.25mg pill), or cut smaller amounts than this by using a jeweler's scale.  Or, you can water taper.  Do you have thoughts as to which one you'd prefer?  If not, no worries.  You've got some time here, as you stabilize on your current dosing schedule.

You mentioned that you take 0.5mg at bedtime (10pm), and 0.25mg at 1pm.  You asked about splitting your day time dosage in half and dosing more times throughout the day, in order to eliminate interdose withdrawal -- I don't think this is a bad idea, if you're having difficulties with interdose withdrawal.  I dose four times in a 24-hour period, once every six hours, just to be sure I have some Xanax in my system at all times.  You could perhaps do something like 0.125mg (1/2 of your 0.25mg tablet) at 10am (12 hours after your bedtime dose), and 0.125mg again at 4pm (6 hours after your 10am dose).  Since Xanax's half-life is 6 hours, this might help to stabilize your interdose withdrawal even more.  If you choose to do this, remember to hold at this dose and dosing schedule for a while (at least 10-14 days, if not longer) before trying to begin tapering :thumbsup:

Hope that helps a bit, chickie!  Let me/us know what your thoughts are regarding tapering, and we'll be able to provide a little direction based on the method(s) you're considering!  Hope you have a window of a day!

Mrs. :smitten:

all you new guys,  you need to be careful not to absorb all the horror stories you read on here...

you'll have your own story, some will be similar, some wont.... but in the frame of mind that benzo withdrawals puts you in, you can absorb everything you read and experience it too if youre not careful... if you can try to keep control of your "mind", you might not experience a large majority of it..so be careful with your "thoughts"....FYI...

ps. I highly reccommend the body scan meditation, its free and one youtube, they walk you through it, to slow down and decide exactly "how bad you feel, or not" when you experience some bad feeling and such....

Thanks, Benzy! You're so right. It's hard when we're in a vulnerable state to shake off the horror stories and/or fear about 'what if'? Yet I've been told I need to read all this stuff. I had to avoid the internet all day today just to get a handle on my own body/situation/nees. And I did lots better...but I missed you guys...lol...

I'm incorporating some meditative helps and ways to distract myself, but I'll look into that body scan thing. Mainly I need to trust that I'm on the road to healing because even when I first attempted tapering off last year, I was calmer because I wasn't reading all the worst case scenarios. I not only weaned off low dose Seroquel, but Cymbalta about 18 months prior, and while this benzo is much more a challenge in light of weak adrenals, I think the variables have a lot to do with our core nutritional status. Body needs good nutrition to handle stuff like this...it can certainly self-repair and self-modulate with time.  I'm gonna do it. I'm not only gonna do it, I'll kick some benzo butt, and tell the story! (how's that for positivity?)  :thumbsup:

I really appreciate your encouragement. - VCharis

It's hard when we're in a vulnerable state to shake off the horror stories and/or fear about 'what if'? Yet I've been told I need to read all this stuff.

You do need to educate yourself, for sure, but that does not mean reading "negative" reports per say :thumbsup:  A lot of the negative reports are written in the "heat of battle"...and a LOT of those folks are back on in six months, writing their success stories, because low 'n behold they gave it enough time to heal :laugh:;)  I've seen that happen too many times to number, it seems :thumbsup:

'Educating yourself' and 'reading up' means learning about different tapering techniques, and options of how to safely get off the medication that apply to your situation and medicinal needs.  At least that is what I mean when I tell this to new folks :thumbsup:

Do what you feel is best for you, of course, VC!  Hope we can continue to help you and offer support along your journey :)

yall will work it out, ya kinda get desensitized to it after awhile, but at first it can over-whelm you, I see it happen to everyone just about, myself included....ya you need to know all the possibilities, just remember it dont mean itll happen to you.....esepecially if youre careful, most have the worst problems if they cold turkey, do a rapid taper, or taper too fast of erratic...slow and steady wins the race...unless you feel you can go faster for whatever reasons...

So Benzy, have you decided if you're going to do one more cut to your .0625 down to .03125 for a while or are you just going to jump from .0625?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [mi...]
    • [...]
    • [Vo...]
    • [ge...]
    • [La...]
    • [Ch...]
    • [Ma...]
    • [kn...]
    • [Ma...]
    • [In...]
    • [St...]