Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

XANAX Support Blog: If you're tapering Xanax/alprazolam, join in the discussion!

[mr...]

Marley, please answer this question.  How did you feel when you dropped from .50mg to .25mg for 2-months?  I have a reason for asking this and need to know the information to be able to help you.  Did you start going into really bad withdrawals for that entire time?

Xanax can cause nervousness, by the way.  Even while we are still taking the medicine. 

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Be...]

• [mr...]

• [Ra...]

• [VC...]

Top Posters In This Topic

My dose has been pretty much always 0.5mg at one time i just took the whole pill in the am and was fine all day,and then i could go without it for a few days and then back to the everyday thing,every since May i have taken it daily sometimes just a half and then the past 3 months i have taken it daily as i said,i have just started to be more nervous the last few days while taking the whole pill in the am by noon i am feeling real nervous. i have not felt bad at all up til the past few weeks i was taking the .05 mg and cutting it in 1/2 and taking it the first 1/2 and then the other when i got nervous again and then it started to not work so she told me to start with the 0.5mg in the am and then 1/2 at night well i felt like crap so she wants me to add another 1/2 a pill at noon i am scared to do this i dont want to take alot of this stuff and have a hard time getting off but dr said dont fret i will be fine when the time is right but the time is not right now,also they wanted me to take celexa about 2 months ago i took one and it was great for about 8 hrs then i took a xanax at night to sleep and had a hot sensation come over me dr said it had nothing to do with celexa well i did not take another one. Also scared of taking a SSRI for life thank you again sorry for the ramble  :-[

Hi Juliea,

Didn't wanna interrupt your conversation with Marley325, but I couldn't find a button to click on to start a new topic. ???

I'm new as of this week, trying to stabilize on a regular dose of Xanax (alprazolam) after PRN dosing for bedtime much of last year. Been on the stuff for years, PRN. Never took as prescribed which was 0.5mg TID. Always took less. Managed to taper over 3 months Feb-May last year, and later in the summer, I think (fuzzy on the details) but never made it past a month before I was reaching for help with sleep again. I did this only after asking several health practitioners for help with sleep. I tried melatonin, taurine, almost went for the 5-http and decided against it. Dealt with insomnia until I couldn't anymore, and just thought I'd wean back off, but took intermittently. Ironically if I'd gotten my magnesium levels up to par last year, I might have slept better. I can tell it's improving somewhat...but not last night.

Okay, so I understand I need to stabilize before beginning a taper. And try not to freak out. A doctor prescribed a lot of 0.5mg tablets last week to keep me from going into withdrawal, but didn't have time to discuss a taper; however he documented that I want to get off of it. Hoping when I see him again we can discuss this further, but it's hard to get all your health needs covered in 15 minutes. A chiro told me to just alternate between 0.25 mg one night with 0.5mg!! That won't work!! I know that much.

Last four days:

0.5 mg at bedtime (10 pm)

0.25 mg (1 pm) added to see if it would help. At first it did, but last couple days brought lots of emotional upset. I'm not sure I'd be this upset if I weren't dealing with Xanax but my adrenals are wrecked.

Symptoms: All year - while on Xanax - feels like adrenaline surges, accompanied by BP rises and irregular heartbeats on my BP machine. I keep a daily log of readings. I may or may not feel any palps. Problem is, I DO feel adrenaline, sometimes loose stools, and generally fatigued. Getting upset activates this, but carrying in the groceries, or overdoing on housework also triggers it. A lot of this is adrenal exhaustion and the benzo is complicating things. I've tried bedrest/meditation for a few days, and it still continues ...but will stop when I listen and work on my breathing exercises on audio. I've learned how to switch from sympathetic state to parasympathetic state by these gentle breathing times, but it doesn't last. As soon as I have a conversation with my husband, I'm back in adrenaline. Tomorrow might be better but I'm under a lot of stress here.

A couple nights on the new dosing schedule, I slept okay, but woke up a few times. Last night, I was wired after midnight due to reading BB forum, then woke up to tornado sirens...so my nervous system feels shot today. I can't judge what I need to do yet.

I have adrenal exhaustion, being supplemented for that and under a cardiologist care for A-fib, but since working on replenishing electrolytes, I've not had anything like A-fib or racing heart anymore. Just these benign arrhythmias that didn't even register on the EKG this past week at the doctor's.  Waiting on thyroid tests, too...I'm low on T3, and that has an effect on heart, I've read.

So back to suggestion for a benzo taper. Please, any suggestions on how to stabilize without jumping to higher doses if that's possible. And please, I feel fragile and don't need to get scared. I can ride a bit of this out, but my chest aches some days and my anxiety over THAT is what bothers

Here is what your signature says Marley:

.05mg xanax PRN for the last year

.05 mg xanax daily for 3 months

.025 mg xanax daily for 2 months

.075 mg xanax daily for the past week

Ok, since you say you did not go from .50mg to .25mg and hold that dose for 2 months as your signature says, this is actually pretty good news.  I was worried that you had made a cut to .25 from .50 and really desensitized your nervous system.  Bouncing back from a cut that large can be very hard and if the dose is held for a long length of time, sometimes an updose will not work.  This is especially true if the updose isn't done within 2-weeks of the dose change.

Since your dosing has been all over the map, (pretty much as-needed dosing), I honestly believe you are suffering from tolerance problems and also possibly interdose withdrawal problems.  The majority of the nervousness that you feel is likely Xanax withdrawal.  When we hit tolerance, this means that the way we have usually dosed no longer works the way it once did and that more medicine is needed to stop the withdrawals. 

Once as person who is taking benzos hits tolerance, they can up their dose and possibly get some short term relief, but the higher dose will also stop working again eventually too.  How long this will take varies from person to person.  But it becomes an ever increasing dose escalation and some people get to the stage in this where no dose gives them relief. 

I believe that you will stabilize on .75mg, (hopefully).  If I was having breakthrough nervousness or feeling bad between doses, I would take not 2 doses per day, but probably 3 to 4 or more doses per day.  Xanax does not last long in our system.  It's a very short acting benzo.  So many of the buddies here take their daily dose, (in your case, .75mg), and break that up into dosing several times per day.  This helps them a great deal with the interdose withdrawal.

I know that you probably took Xanax as-needed thinking that you were doing yourself a favor.  It makes sense.  But actually with a very potent benzo like Xanax, taking an as needed dose for longer than 2-weeks to a month can cause dependency, (addiction).  In fact taking any dose of a benzo for longer than 2-weeks to a month can cause dependency.

So what I would do if I were in your shoes is I would take the exact same dose every day, at roughly the same times each day.  This will help keep your blood levels of the benzo even.  I would not reach for a Xanax if I felt nervous.  I would only take my allotted dose at roughly the allotted time.  I would not updose.

Then, after I was stable for a month, I would plan a taper off of the medicine.  Doctors usually taper people too fast, so when I got to the point where I was ready to taper, I would come back here and work out a taper plan for myself.

Xanax can be a great medicine for short term, (2-weeks), acute situations.  Taking it longer than that can cause the symptoms that we took Xanax for to actually get worse.  It's the perfect drug for a drug company.  We get hooked on it and then we think we need it for our nerves --- but it causes nervousness.  Then we can't stop taking it without going through a taper.  Go figure. 

Good luck to you Marley, I hope you stabilize quickly and I hope we see you someday wanting to taper off.  We'll be glad to help.

Thank you for your info it helps alot i will try to spread out the doses for a month and I hope get off then,I know everyone is different but will it be hard for me to get off at this dose and as long as i have been taking them? again thanks and i will be back for taper help for sure :)

Marley, why are you taking the X in the first place, just curious..

also, dont fret too much, your still on a pretty low(er) dose...

but, with the problems youre describing, you in for some "text book" interdose/tolerance" problems so I would try to stabilize and go ahead and get off when I could, but you probably got time to do that, even if the times not now, though you might have to updose to do it, like your Dr is telling you.... Why cant you get off now? Is there something going on or something coming up youre waiting for? The longer you go, the harder it will be,, though it still should be OK, I tapered from 2 mgs a day just fine, and I was in tolerance....tolerance will just add to the mix though....

Juliea, I'm going to "bump" this just to make sure you saw it :thumbsup:

VC and I have been chatting back and forth quite a bit, and I mentioned asking you for tapering advice.

The couple pages back on this thread, through to now, will give you a lot of good background on VC, as well as what her and I have discussed.

Based on her situation and possible kindling sensitivities, as well as having some difficulty stabilizing even after updosing on her xanax, I was thinking she might be a good candidate for valium crossover. But I'm not sure, and have no advice to offer with a taper schedule for a Valium crossover :P

Anyways, if you have any suggestions, I'm sure she'd appreciate it! Thanks :):smitten:

Hi Juliea,

Didn't wanna interrupt your conversation with Marley325, but I couldn't find a button to click on to start a new topic. ???

I'm new as of this week, trying to stabilize on a regular dose of Xanax (alprazolam) after PRN dosing for bedtime much of last year. Been on the stuff for years, PRN. Never took as prescribed which was 0.5mg TID. Always took less. Managed to taper over 3 months Feb-May last year, and later in the summer, I think (fuzzy on the details) but never made it past a month before I was reaching for help with sleep again. I did this only after asking several health practitioners for help with sleep. I tried melatonin, taurine, almost went for the 5-http and decided against it. Dealt with insomnia until I couldn't anymore, and just thought I'd wean back off, but took intermittently. Ironically if I'd gotten my magnesium levels up to par last year, I might have slept better. I can tell it's improving somewhat...but not last night.

Okay, so I understand I need to stabilize before beginning a taper. And try not to freak out. A doctor prescribed a lot of 0.5mg tablets last week to keep me from going into withdrawal, but didn't have time to discuss a taper; however he documented that I want to get off of it. Hoping when I see him again we can discuss this further, but it's hard to get all your health needs covered in 15 minutes. A chiro told me to just alternate between 0.25 mg one night with 0.5mg!! That won't work!! I know that much.

Last four days:

0.5 mg at bedtime (10 pm)

0.25 mg (1 pm) added to see if it would help. At first it did, but last couple days brought lots of emotional upset. I'm not sure I'd be this upset if I weren't dealing with Xanax but my adrenals are wrecked.

Symptoms: All year - while on Xanax - feels like adrenaline surges, accompanied by BP rises and irregular heartbeats on my BP machine. I keep a daily log of readings. I may or may not feel any palps. Problem is, I DO feel adrenaline, sometimes loose stools, and generally fatigued. Getting upset activates this, but carrying in the groceries, or overdoing on housework also triggers it. A lot of this is adrenal exhaustion and the benzo is complicating things. I've tried bedrest/meditation for a few days, and it still continues ...but will stop when I listen and work on my breathing exercises on audio. I've learned how to switch from sympathetic state to parasympathetic state by these gentle breathing times, but it doesn't last. As soon as I have a conversation with my husband, I'm back in adrenaline. Tomorrow might be better but I'm under a lot of stress here.

A couple nights on the new dosing schedule, I slept okay, but woke up a few times. Last night, I was wired after midnight due to reading BB forum, then woke up to tornado sirens...so my nervous system feels shot today. I can't judge what I need to do yet.

I have adrenal exhaustion, being supplemented for that and under a cardiologist care for A-fib, but since working on replenishing electrolytes, I've not had anything like A-fib or racing heart anymore. Just these benign arrhythmias that didn't even register on the EKG this past week at the doctor's.  Waiting on thyroid tests, too...I'm low on T3, and that has an effect on heart, I've read.

So back to suggestion for a benzo taper. Please, any suggestions on how to stabilize without jumping to higher doses if that's possible. And please, I feel fragile and don't need to get scared. I can ride a bit of this out, but my chest aches some days and my anxiety over THAT is what bothers

About a year ago i would be in my car and all the sudden heart flutters,sweating crazy feeling kept happening went to the er after one episode of feeling like i was having a heart attack,had a full cardio work up,tyroid,estrogen and hormone levels all came back normal so they said it was anxiety and gave me xanax!!! like i said they wanted me to start taking celexa or effexor but i am scared to take those, I go back to work in March and I am hoping that will help with whatever it is that is wrong because i have no idea what is causing it. I go see the Dr this Wednesday not sure what we are going to do thanks

We've got a Challis and now a Charis.  Welcome to the Xanax thread VCharis.  :)

Here is a thread I think you will find interesting:  How Benzos Cause HPA Axis Dysregulation

I can really relate to your situation because I took Xanax for insomnia.  I did not think I could sleep without it, but about 3-months after I jumped, I began to sleep well again.  I'm going to be honest with you, your sleep may suffer during your taper, but if you can hang on and not reach for Xanax after you have completed your taper, it will eventually right itself.  I did not believe this would happen to me, but it did.

We had another member who took Xanax every other night.  She continued every other night dosing during her taper and was able to discontinue the Xanax.  Everyone advised her to take it nightly during her taper, but she decided against it and this was the right decision for her.  She was able to jump at .125mg.  She is the only person that I've known who was able to jump from that high of a dose and not get slammed.

When you say you were able to taper last year, (but again reached for Xanax for sleep), did you taper all of the way off?  Exactly how did you taper since you were taking Xanax, as needed?  What were the size of your cuts?  How long did you hold between dose reductions?

Considering the exacerbating health issues that you have, (the palps, adrenal fatigue, etc), I would definitely stabilize on an every day dose of the medicine.  Since I only took Xanax at night for sleep, I continued to dose 1 time per day during my taper.  I did not suffer from interdose withdrawal. 

Once I was stable, (and I would want to be stable for 2-weeks to a month), I would begin a slow taper off.  There are several choice you have to accomplish this.  I believe MrsALW has shared titration with you.  I chose to dry cut off and this is what I know best.  Challis and Charlie taught me this method.

I got my doctor to prescribe the .25mg Xanax.  This was key.  Then I quartered the pills using a pill cutter.  I snapped the pills in half with my fingers and then cut the half in half with the pill cutter.  This gave me four, .0625mg pieces of pill.  I made up a medicine organizer with my nightly allotted dose and did not up dose, even if I could not sleep.  I dropped only .0625mg, every 8 to 14 days until I hit zero. 

When I made a dose reduction, my body did not notice the reduction until the 4th or 5th day after the cut.  But on that 4th or 5th day, I would get hit with withdrawal symptoms.  Then I would go through a period of stabilization again.  Once stable, (feeling better, not perfect), I would cut again.  I made 32-cuts to get off of 3mg.  It wasn't easy, but I did it and I am so glad I did.

I was having all sorts of health issues due to the Xanax.  But the way that I did my taper, I was lucky in that it worked out that as I got lower in dose, I began to feel better and better.  The low doses were not a problem for me.  Other people who did have problems with the low doses cut the .0625mg piece of pill in half and tapered half of that from .25mg and below.  But I didn't have to do that, I was able to continue with the .0625mg cut and jump from there.  I've done very well post taper.  I was fortunate in that I did not get slammed with acute withdrawal.  My acute stage, (most severe stage), was at the top end of my taper when I was cutting too big of chunks, too fast. 

I believe that once you get off this junk, you will be surprised at how much your health will improve over time.  I'm 8-months since my last bit of Xanax and if I wasn't so supertitious, I would write a success story.  You will get there too.

Thanks Mrs, I was writing my book when you posted.  I did not see anything in her post that led me to believe that she was kindled.  I will read back now.  Thank you girl.  :)

I've just returned from a weeks vacation in Key West.  :D I had a blast.  >:D  This is why I'm not caught up with the board. 

Charis, I don't know what to say about the kindling possibility.  The only thing that kindling means for those of us who taper is that having previous withdrawals might make a subsequent withdrawal more difficult.  Please don't adopt that label until you feel you really need to.  If it were me, I would not worry about it --- EVERYONE, needs to take great care when they taper off of a benzo and do the taper in a way that is the most comfortable.  These symptoms that you're having are so common.  Especially the heart palps.  You've been checked out, right?  This is important.

I would do my very best to stabilize.  Starting a taper from a point of stability is golden in the taper business.  If we begin our taper from a point of stability, then with each dose reduction we can stabilize again if we reduce our dose in tiny increments.

Personally, I would not cross over to Valium if I were in your shoes because insomnia is your biggest problem that you took benzos for.  Valium is very sedating at first, but this sedation wears off quickly.  Valium is not a good med for sleep because it does not come on strong like Xanax does.  If I had terrible insomnia during my taper, I would have asked my doctor for Remeron, (with the knowledge that it also must be tapered).  I believe sleep is very important to healing during a benzo taper.  Luckily my insomnia didn't return with a vengeance until the day I jumped.  My doctor prescribed Vistaril and this helped get me over the hump, but I refused to take it nightly.  Melatonin didn't work well when I took Xanax, but now that I'm benzo free, it helps a great deal.

Since I did not suffer from interdose withdrawal, it's hard for me to offer support on what to do other than dose multiple times per day.  Many, many people advised me to break up my dosing.  But it didn't feel right to me, so I didn't.  However, if I'd had interdose withdrawal, I believe that I would have recognized this and I would have definitely broken up my dosing to multiple times per day.

You can do this.  :thumbsup:  Just go slow and ease your way off after you get stable.   

Love you, NFM!!! :smitten:

How is FREEDOM treating you? I'm at the final stretch, and am looking onward to the finish line :) I'd love to hear what's changed for you since you've jumped :)

Hope all has been well! Have a great day, dear NFM :smitten:

Hi Mrs :)

Freedom is going well. I had a lot of sx, just like everyone.

Symptoms NO longer present:

Dp/Dr

Intrusive Thoughts ( I could not believe it just STOPPED like that)

Ideations of Ill Health

Anxiety, funny how this was my one of the reason's for taking Xanax

Panic is diminishing daily as in a lot

Painful Right Arm Impingement. I had for over 6 months. I thought I was going to have to go

to the Dr. I EXCERCISED my arm every day or every other day. Warmed up first,

then did PT at home, in shower. I could not lift my Right arm up. GONE

Inflammation in my lymph nodes is diminishing

I can READ, LISTEN to MUSIC, play my piano. Noise is okay. Even with children.

Watch shows I could not before.

Walk, walk and more walking.

Agoraphobia is GONE, This was crucial in the beginning as I could not leave my home.

Laughter is back

Wake up and go to bed at the same time everynight. Please, everyone develop this habit.

Don't Obsess about things.

Things that are improving, but still have:

Benzo Belly, working on it

Muscle aches and pains come and go

Get overwhelmed easily, got to watch that one

Try not to overdue anything.

Best advice:    KNOW YOURSELF AND YOUR LIMITS.............

Wishing you a good "Farewell" to Xanax, Mrs. Plus you WORKED~~~~~~~

Thanks for the LOVE~

Back to you and all of Xanax Taperer's here~~~~

Notforme :angel:

Wow, Notforme,

What a wonderful post full of inspiration and healing.  I am soooo happy for you. It sure gives those of us who are starting our journey something to be hopeful about and to look forward to. 

Way to be strong and get to where you wanted to be...Benzo Free!

Congrats!!!!!!

Hugs :hug:

FLuterByee

Thank you for your info it helps alot i will try to spread out the doses for a month and I hope get off then,I know everyone is different but will it be hard for me to get off at this dose and as long as i have been taking them? again thanks and i will be back for taper help for sure :)

You won't know how hard it is until you try.  Some people don't have a problem tapering.  We just don't see them on BenzoBuddies.  When I did decide to taper, I would ask my doctor for the .25mg pills and only drop 1/4 of the pill, every 10 to 14 days.  I do hope you will decide to taper off Marley.  I wish I had decided to do that a long time ago.  Xanax or any other benzo, (Klonopin, Valium, Ativan, etc), just weren't meant to be taken long term ---- without severe consequences.  You will be fine.  ;)

Hi everyone,

I'm also new here and looking for xanax tapering advice.  I made a very long-winded post in the taper forum if anyone is interested (http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=98859.0), but long story short...

Started xanax on 12/03/13, was prescibed .5mg 2 x a day, but I was taking as needed and dosing was all over the place.  On Jan. 1st started actually taking .5mg 2 x a day, but still not regular dosing really.  Three days ago started taking .25mg 3 x a day (one every 8 hours) to get on a regular schedule..

Was hoping that with my relatively short xanax usage I could go with an aggressive taper plan that I saw elsewhere on the net that someone had used...

0.25mg, Three times a day for 2 weeks = 0.75mg per day.

0.25mg, Two times a day for 2 weeks = 0.5mg per day.

0.25mg, Once per day for 2 or 3 weeks = 0.25mg per day.  At this point, jump.

But after doing some more reading here at BB, it looks like this taper plan is way too aggressive, no?

Suggestions?  Advice?  Getting confused and worried.... I'll take any and all help at this point.

Thanks.

Raymond, welcome to the Xanax thread.  For people who have been taking a benzo short-term as you have we do recommend a rapid taper.  The schedule you have posted looks ok, but I would use it as a guide only.  My recommendation is that you shoot for holding each dose reduction closer to 1 week rather than 2 weeks, prior to reducing again.  The idea for a short term user is to reduce as rapidly as possible within the individuals comfort level.  You want to get off of the benzo sooner than later to help keep a dependency from occurring.  You will likely feel a bit of discomfort as you are reducing your dose, (on the 3rd through 5th day possibly), but you should stabilize rather quickly.  The discomfort should be manageable.  If at any time, the discomfort felt unmanageable, I would hold my dose until I felt better again, (better, not necessarily perfect).  If unmanageable symptoms occur, consider dropping .125mg per taper period rather than .25mg.  That's what I'd do if I were in your shoes.

Hi guys-

I'm having what I considered tolerance w/ds.

Since Oct., my panic and anxiety was constant, all the time, for no reason.  Every doctor I went to see just prescribed more xanax (and propranolol). It's just stress; You're not taking enough, they'd say. One dr who I used to LOVE told me there was no award for not taking the xanax.  :tickedoff:

The daily small doses of xanax kept things barely manageable most days, but with lots of windows. From Oct to now, there were some "episodes"... I thought it was food poisoning. No sleep, vomiting, diarrhea, for a few days, with panic the xanax barely touched.  It was some folks on another Facebook group who thought my issue might be the xanax. Interdose or tolerance withdrawals. I just had no idea. I even "c/t" (like I've done many times in the past) Dec. 1-22 because I felt great. Had an "episode" on Christmas Eve.

Long story boring... I am now taking .75-.85mg a day for the last few days to stabilize so I can taper. This dose is quite high for me, but mentally and emotionally it is making my day just barely livable. It was a dose that worked a week ago during a rough patch. Oh and I still have nausea and dry heaves in the morning, and insomnia at night. Not to mention insane grogginess/"drunkness" from the drug because the doses just feel too high.

I'm taking approx .20mg (jewelers scale) 4 times a day every 5-6 hours. Every 5 hours because I'd start feeling creepy and worried I'd panic if I waited much longer. Should you wait as long as you can to dose if you feel good?  Today, the morning dose put me in a zombie state. The early afternoon dose was nice. The evening dose put me in another zombie state, for a few hours I just passed out and slept like the dead, and woke up nauseous and almost drunk feeling. I don't know how I'll even take a nighttime dose. But I feel like I have to because it seems when I let the levels get too low I feel really badly for a few days. Tonight I actually had an appetite which is amazing.

So updosing... I'm trying to stabilize so I can start the damn taper already, but I can't find a dose that works for me. .75 per day worked a few times, now it's making me too tired... .50 worked sometimes, but led to those sickness episodes. Either way I'm still feeling poisoned from this drug, and I haven't even tapered yet. In fact I'm taking almost double what I used to. Unfortunately the smaller doses led to a "end the suffering" feeling which is not okay.

This is so frustrating. I can't imagine how the taper is going to go... If I ever get there. Also the jewelers scale is awful. Seems like it gives a different reading everytime.

Hi Mac,

Welcome to the wonderful world of xanax :P:D

Nausea, diarrhea, etc was my number one symptom in tolerance. Not to mention some WIERDO mental symptoms...yeah. And a whole host of other things, too, including the, as you put it, ',end the suffering' feelings. I just want you to know that lots of folks deal with those exact feelings in tolerance and withdrawal -- so know you're not alone, and its not actually "of you", okay?

I'll also mention that I've almost ALWAYS felt better in tapering than I ever did in tolerance, so don't get scared that symptoms get worse just because you're tapering. So long as you move sloooowly throughout your taper, and you get stable to begin with, I'm betting you'll probably have a similar experience.

So no sweat, okay? You're doing the right thing in finding a daily dosage to get stable on. I also think you're doing well to divide your dosages out into multiple times per day -- this practically eliminated interdose withdrawal for me. Just keep things consistent and steady now, for at least two weeks here, and see how you're feeling -- don't change anything else. Moving doses to different times, and switching dose sizes can act like a "cut" feels, so make your changes and then STAY STEADY for a while (10-14 days). At the end of two weeks, you'll be able to make a good call as to whether or not you're stable enough to begin a taper from here. I'll mention too that "stable" doesn't necessarily mean feeling 100% normal again; it means feeling CONSISTENT...so it may mean feeling somewhat icky, but 'stable' would be a predictable, tolerable level of icky -- does that make sense? I mention this just so you're not constantly trying to seek perfection -- otherwise you might be seeking it forever, LOL!! :P

so hang tight here, Mac -- stick around and enjoy/join in on our goofy banter here for a little while, whilst you're holding and stabilizing over the next couple weeks, and you'll be able to go from there ;)

You're gonna be just fine, and you're gonna do great, okay? No worries :)

Mrs. :smitten:

Hi guys-

I'm having what I considered tolerance w/ds.

Since Oct., my panic and anxiety was constant, all the time, for no reason.  Every doctor I went to see just prescribed more xanax (and propranolol). It's just stress; You're not taking enough, they'd say. One dr who I used to LOVE told me there was no award for not taking the xanax.  :tickedoff:

The daily small doses of xanax kept things barely manageable most days, but with lots of windows. From Oct to now, there were some "episodes"... I thought it was food poisoning. No sleep, vomiting, diarrhea, for a few days, with panic the xanax barely touched.  It was some folks on another Facebook group who thought my issue might be the xanax. Interdose or tolerance withdrawals. I just had no idea. I even "c/t" (like I've done many times in the past) Dec. 1-22 because I felt great. Had an "episode" on Christmas Eve.

Long story boring... I am now taking .75-.85mg a day for the last few days to stabilize so I can taper. This dose is quite high for me, but mentally and emotionally it is making my day just barely livable. It was a dose that worked a week ago during a rough patch. Oh and I still have nausea and dry heaves in the morning, and insomnia at night. Not to mention insane grogginess/"drunkness" from the drug because the doses just feel too high.

I'm taking approx .20mg (jewelers scale) 4 times a day every 5-6 hours. Every 5 hours because I'd start feeling creepy and worried I'd panic if I waited much longer. Should you wait as long as you can to dose if you feel good?  Today, the morning dose put me in a zombie state. The early afternoon dose was nice. The evening dose put me in another zombie state, for a few hours I just passed out and slept like the dead, and woke up nauseous and almost drunk feeling. I don't know how I'll even take a nighttime dose. But I feel like I have to because it seems when I let the levels get too low I feel really badly for a few days. Tonight I actually had an appetite which is amazing.

So updosing... I'm trying to stabilize so I can start the damn taper already, but I can't find a dose that works for me. .75 per day worked a few times, now it's making me too tired... .50 worked sometimes, but led to those sickness episodes. Either way I'm still feeling poisoned from this drug, and I haven't even tapered yet. In fact I'm taking almost double what I used to. Unfortunately the smaller doses led to a "end the suffering" feeling which is not okay.

This is so frustrating. I can't imagine how the taper is going to go... If I ever get there. Also the jewelers scale is awful. Seems like it gives a different reading everytime.

I realize so much of this was answered by Julie and Mrs for Marley and VCharis. So you can just help me out with the part that's highlighted above if possible!

Mac,

I believe I address your question with what I have bolded, below. You've only been at your updose amount for a couple days, and you've still been toying with dosages and such...if it were me, I'd finish my tweaks soon and then just HOLD for a while (10-14 days). This will give you a much more accurate picture of whether or not you're stable at this dose & times of day you take it, okay?

I'm turning in for the night, but will be back on tomorrow again :) Have a good night, and we'll chat again soon!

Hi Mac,

Nausea, diarrhea, etc was my number one symptom in tolerance. Not to mention some WIERDO mental symptoms...yeah. And a whole host of other things, too, including the, as you put it, ',end the suffering' feelings. I just want you to know that lots of folks deal with those exact feelings in tolerance and withdrawal -- so know you're not alone, and its not actually "of you", okay?

I'll also mention that I've almost ALWAYS felt better in tapering than I ever did in tolerance, so don't get scared that symptoms get worse just because you're tapering. So long as you move sloooowly throughout your taper, and you get stable to begin with, I'm betting you'll probably have a similar experience.

So no sweat, okay? You're doing the right thing in finding a daily dosage to get stable on. I also think you're doing well to divide your dosages out into multiple times per day -- this practically eliminated interdose withdrawal for me. Just keep things consistent and steady now, for at least two weeks here, and see how you're feeling -- don't change anything else. Moving doses to different times, and switching dose sizes can act like a "cut" feels, so make your changes and then STAY STEADY for a while (10-14 days). At the end of two weeks, you'll be able to make a good call as to whether or not you're stable enough to begin a taper from here. I'll mention too that "stable" doesn't necessarily mean feeling 100% normal again; it means feeling CONSISTENT...so it may mean feeling somewhat icky, but 'stable' would be a predictable, tolerable level of icky -- does that make sense? I mention this just so you're not constantly trying to seek perfection -- otherwise you might be seeking it forever, LOL!! :P

so hang tight here, Mac -- stick around and enjoy/join in on our goofy banter here for a little while, whilst you're holding and stabilizing over the next couple weeks, and you'll be able to go from there ;)

Hi Mac,

Thank you for your reply! :)

Next up is combatting the insane sedation this dose makes me feel.

And that damn jewelers scale!  Love the idea, hate the execution.

Anyone know if you have to have a new rx to have the pharmacy make a suspension? My pharmacist mentioned he could make one for me for tapering. Wish I knew how to make my own. Math...  :idiot:

Titration seems cool but I don't have enough pills to toss. Still trying to find a dr to support my taper. Lots of shrinks on my list, very long waits. My GP is probably my best bet.

Mac, Mrs. has given you some excellent support.  Yes, any change to a prescription would require a doctor's orders.

I hope you stabilize quickly.  I would not cold turkey again.  You said you've done this many times in the past.  After several cold turkey withdrawals, (or even one), the body can become sensitized and subsequent withdrawals 'may' become more difficult.  I would get myself stable and move slowly off of the medicine this time and never take a benzo again, (except as required for a surgical procedure), if I were in your shoes. 

Love you, NFM!!! :smitten:

How is FREEDOM treating you? I'm at the final stretch, and am looking onward to the finish line :) I'd love to hear what's changed for you since you've jumped :)

Hope all has been well! Have a great day, dear NFM :smitten:

Hi Mrs :)

Freedom is going well. I had a lot of sx, just like everyone.

Symptoms NO longer present:

Dp/Dr

Intrusive Thoughts ( I could not believe it just STOPPED like that)

Ideations of Ill Health

Anxiety, funny how this was my one of the reason's for taking Xanax

Panic is diminishing daily as in a lot

Painful Right Arm Impingement. I had for over 6 months. I thought I was going to have to go

to the Dr. I EXCERCISED my arm every day or every other day. Warmed up first,

then did PT at home, in shower. I could not lift my Right arm up. GONE

Inflammation in my lymph nodes is diminishing

I can READ, LISTEN to MUSIC, play my piano. Noise is okay. Even with children.

Watch shows I could not before.

Walk, walk and more walking.

Agoraphobia is GONE, This was crucial in the beginning as I could not leave my home.

Laughter is back

Wake up and go to bed at the same time everynight. Please, everyone develop this habit.

Don't Obsess about things.

Things that are improving, but still have:

Benzo Belly, working on it

Muscle aches and pains come and go

Get overwhelmed easily, got to watch that one

Try not to overdue anything.

Best advice:    KNOW YOURSELF AND YOUR LIMITS.............

Wishing you a good "Farewell" to Xanax, Mrs. Plus you WORKED~~~~~~~

Thanks for the LOVE~

Back to you and all of Xanax Taperer's here~~~~

Notforme :angel:

What a wonderful post withdrawal message, Notforme.  It could not have happened to a nicer person.  I'm so happy that things are going well for you.

Love,  :smitten:

Juliea

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [Ho...]
    • [Da...]
    • [...]
    • [Cr...]
    • [Ab...]
    • [mi...]
    • [...]
    • [Vo...]
    • [ge...]