Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

XANAX Support Blog: If you're tapering Xanax/alprazolam, join in the discussion!

[mr...]

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Be...]

• [mr...]

• [Ra...]

• [VC...]

Top Posters In This Topic

(Whoa, I cannot believe I just posted that!...that's about as wild a post as I'll ever get!! My apologies if it offended or grossed anyone out...I was just being goofy :) )

LOL!  :laugh:

:smitten:

hi, I'm new - and a little freaked out. After tapering quickly last year, I prided myself in being free from benzos...or so I thought. When a couple nights would pass and I couldnt' sleep a wink, I'd take 1/2 pill (0.25) every now and then and figure I was still okay. Sometimes I'd take the whole pill (0.5mg) because sleep was just a desperate issue. I can see now that all the sporadic dosing probably did my nervous system a lot of harm, as I've been dealing with irregular heartbeats all year long, doctors have no answers, but I thought it was adrenal exhaustion & autonomic issues -- which I do have now. Anyway, I need help with a sensible taper. I've read much of the Ashton protocol but can't get a doctor to switch me to Valium. I did get a doctor to prescribe plenty xanax so I can do a slow taper. All these years I've never taken more than a 1 mg total (maybe under great duress I took 1 1/2 mg but rarely) ...always backing down to 0.5mg. When I weaned off the xanax earlier this year, I didn't link the nervous system disruption to the benzo, and sometimes I wonder if it could be another problem altogether. I am so tired. Please don't freak me out...haha...

Sorry, I am complaining tonight. :P No window for me right now. Oh well. I can ride this out.But I would rather be riding a gentle, well behaved horse in the moonlight. than this crap.

Healing is definitely not linear. :-[

Blue :smitten:

...I'd rather be riding my husband... :o8):-*:laugh::angel:

I LOVE IT....Mrs you little  >:D  :angel:

LOL....with a spank and a small slap in the mouth?

FB

Sorry, I am complaining tonight. :P No window for me right now. Oh well. I can ride this out.But I would rather be riding a gentle, well behaved horse in the moonlight. than this crap.

Healing is definitely not linear. :-[

Blue :smitten:

...I'd rather be riding my husband... :o8):-*:laugh::angel:

LOL....with a spank and a small slap in the mouth?

FB

LOL YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!  :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

Hi V,, sounds like we got the same story... I had a year of heart arrhythmias out of control, thats why I ended up on X..

you can taper easily from the x.. most do it by reducing .0625 every 2 or 3 weeks (or longer, or shorter, depending on how you feel) thats a 1/4th of a .25 pill, cut into 4 quarters....

ROFLMAO OMG NO SHE DI'''''''''nt

Made me laugh too.  I Love it and am super glad she felt comfy enough to post.

I sent her Barry White to set the mood for the rest of her evening...lol

LOL....with a spank and a small slap in the mouth?FB

LOL YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!  :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

MRS, SENT YOU A PM....check it out!  Sets the mood for the rest of your night...lol

hey V.. Im kinda confused,,, whats your "current" dose,, and is it steadY? how long have you been on a steady dose?  you need to stabilize, so to speak, on a exact dose for awhile, then start....

in the meantime, you can read and chat and decide what type of taper to do...

lots of us just dry cut from a .25 pill,, others do a liquid titration..

sounds like youre not in "real bad" shape...

hi, I'm new - and a little freaked out. After tapering quickly last year, I prided myself in being free from benzos...or so I thought. When a couple nights would pass and I couldnt' sleep a wink, I'd take 1/2 pill (0.25) every now and then and figure I was still okay. Sometimes I'd take the whole pill (0.5mg) because sleep was just a desperate issue. I can see now that all the sporadic dosing probably did my nervous system a lot of harm, as I've been dealing with irregular heartbeats all year long, doctors have no answers, but I thought it was adrenal exhaustion & autonomic issues -- which I do have now. Anyway, I need help with a sensible taper. I've read much of the Ashton protocol but can't get a doctor to switch me to Valium. I did get a doctor to prescribe plenty xanax so I can do a slow taper. All these years I've never taken more than a 1 mg total (maybe under great duress I took 1 1/2 mg but rarely) ...always backing down to 0.5mg. When I weaned off the xanax earlier this year, I didn't link the nervous system disruption to the benzo, and sometimes I wonder if it could be another problem altogether. I am so tired. Please don't freak me out...haha...

VCharis dear--

Okay, okay....now that we've gotten done being so goofy here tonight, I wanted to say WELCOME!! Glad you've made your way over here :)

You are correct to think that intermittent/ inconsistent dosing of xanax can wreak havoc on your central nervous system. I, too, took my xanax as "PRN" (as needed) throughout my entire time taking it before beginning taper. Needless to say, it definitely sensitized me!

I think it would be wise if you to begin your taper by first finding a daily dose that you are completely stable on, and take that consistently for a couple weeks in order to ensure you're totally stable to begin your taper journey. Considering you've come off/on multiple times already, it will be wise to operate cautiously in coming off gently this time around, so as to ensure no further sensitizing of your CNS or creating any 'kindling' to occur.

Are you currently taking a stable, consistent daily dose? Also, do you just dose once per day, or multiple times per day? Are you experiencing any interdose withdrawal? This is characterized by symptoms that begin to occur when your last dose wears off.

Just some basics to know before being able to help you figure out a taper plan that'll work well for you :thumbsup: I'm sure others will be along shortly to provide insights too!

Welcome, friend :) You're in the right place, at the right time :)

(Whoa, I cannot believe I just posted that!...that's about as wild a post as I'll ever get!! My apologies if it offended or grossed anyone out...I was just being goofy :) )

Glad to see you are lightening up some!  :2funny:

Thanks, Benzy and Mrsalw! Tried to navigate back here last night but couldn't find the yellow brick road....my BP was up by then, so I just went to bed.

Thanks for the warm welcome. Really need you guys!!

After last year (a whole year of autonomic issues, mainly irregularities with my heart accompanied by BP and adrenaline surges), I knew I wanted off Seroquel and Xanax.  Had been tapering on Seroquel from 25mg to 12.5mg (no problem). But all along I'd really just taken Xanax intermittently or "prn". Last year got serious about weaning so I read the Mood Cure (Julia Ross) and The Road Back website. They both mention supplements to help ease the brain during withdrawal but everyone's advise sounds conflicting to me. For instance, taurine or no taurine?? Gaba or no Gaba?? melatonin or no melatonin?

Meanwhile, I discovered underlying mineral deficiencies (addressing those, very helpful!) Got off Seroquel (12.5mg) easy enough, but alprazolam was tedious. Had chronic insomnia all my life, or else I'd never started these doggone meds. Doctors tried to help but look what happened. Last night my original doctor returned my call about my inquiry for a medical tapering protocol.  He has no clue. He'd not heard of the Ashton protocol. He pawned me off to another doctor, saying, "or you can just cut your pill in half, then a 1/4th, and stop it over a month or two." Right. Like that worked for me last year.

Last year I did the dry-cut each week; figured I *was* tapering slow enough but probably not. I mean, I cut those suckers to dust eventually - was really careful and methodical. Trouble happened when other stressors in my life did not abate. My autonomic system would try to settle, then flare again. Moodiness, rage, tears, insomnia, fear, worry - all magnified. I ended up in A-fib, which now I know had more to do with potassium/sodium loss, but still - the slightest heart arrhythmias freaks me out.

Sorry to ramble....but enormous stress doesn't help (death, family conflict, job loss, etc). I could go maybe 3-4 weeks without a xanax this past fall, then BAM, back on a nightly pill maybe 3-4 x week, still thinking I was in control of all this but fearing I was feeding the dependence again. Even with just 0.25mg to sleep. Used melatonin in between xanax and other supplements (magnesium is really helping)...but I HATE THIS BENZO. My adrenals are wrecked. Reading horror stories about benzo w/d is only feeding my fears.

Please advise about supps to avoid, re: Gaba receptor interference.

Brighter note: Managed to sleep 8 hours last night, waking only once for thyroid pill. Usually I wake up constantly or don't sleep but 2-3 hrs... so that felt really encouraging.

As of last 2 days: 

0.5mg at bedtime (10 pm)

0.25 mg (1 pm).

It's like going backwards. I wasn't taking a mid-day dose at all for months!!! I was only taking bedtime doses PRN but the mild arrhythmias/adrenaline surges were frightening me. The extra 1 pm dose seems to help calm things  but is this right?? I have hx of A-fib/flutter trying not to worry about that since replenishing my electrolytes/minerals is helping that (plus I take a heart pill). The daily heart irregularities showing up on my BP machine aren't being picked up on EKGs at all (so it's not a-fib, etc) so I'm sure THAT'S benzo withdrawal.

Guess this isn't new to anyone here, but my life feels like it's on hold. I can't even enjoy a good phone conversation with family or friends anymore...even the laughter, chatting, etc, makes my nervous system go wonky. Family thinks I'm just neurotic.  :-\

Sure could use encouragement...miss my life.

Thanks,

VCHARIS

VC,

I'm at work currently, but wanted you to know that I read your post and relate on SO MANY levels. Hang tight, I'll be back this evening or tomorrow morning to reply to you, okay? Just KNOW that you're not alone, that its temporary, and that you're gonna be okay ;) I'll be back lata, gata!! :)

VC,

I'm at work currently, but wanted you to know that I read your post and relate on SO MANY levels. Hang tight, I'll be back this evening or tomorrow morning to reply to you, okay? Just KNOW that you're not alone, that its temporary, and that you're gonna be okay ;) I'll be back lata, gata!! :)

Thank you, Mrsalw! Look forward to connecting with you later. Hope your day is going okay. THANKS for being there!  :smitten:

Hi VC,

Okay, I have a few thoughts...but please keep in mind I am not a medical professional, okay?  Anything I mention below is strictly my opinion only, and based on personal experiences and observation of others.  Always check with your doctor on medical advice situations  :thumbsup:

You've been taking 0.5mg at bedtime (10 pm) and 0.25 mg (1 pm) for the past two days.  Are you going to stay on this consistently, in order to taper off?  I would advise deciding quickly on a daily dose, and then stay there.  No more PRN, okay?  It in itself is pretty hard on your CNS and can cause heavy sensitivity to the drug (IMO).  Not to mention, it is pretty difficult to taper off with any sort of efficiency or accuracy on an inconsistent daily dosage ;)  Also, do you know if you want to taper using dry-cutting methods, or using water titration?

Regarding supplementation...

I coach weight management and nutrition in my hometown, so I have some thoughts of course!  I'd also check with Hopefulgirl on this thread, too...she's quite knowledgeable with supplementation as well!  AND she's had some diagnosed heart issues in the past, so I think you two would relate VERY well!! :)  Anyways, with supplements...

I am hesitant to recommend, or use, anything that is not a nutrient or mineral that the body already uses.  So this would catagorize things like herbs and "natural" drugs (like marijuana, etc).  This is not because there is anything wrong with these types of things; it is just my personal preference.  Things such as herbs and such are still foreign to the body, and therefore still cause action and reaction outside of normal bodily function.  This is mainly why I prefer to steer clear of them, if possible. 

You also asked about GABA...I have heard that this can cause a similar withdrawal to benzodiazepines, and I've heard it from multiple sources of information, as well as multiple people's experiences with it.  So, I decided to steer clear of it. 

Regarding melatonin...this is a natural substance that your body produces on its own in order to help you "dial down" at night.  I have recommended this as a natural sleep aid to many of my clients.  I'd also used this myself during the first six months or so of my taper, as my sleep had been affected/irritated from withdrawal and tolerance early on.  A couple things to know about melatonin...

Your body only produces up to 1-1.5mg of melatonin, at most.  So it's best to take no more than this in one sitting -- there are many melatonin supplements out there that contain waaaaay more than this in a tablet.  The choice is up to you on what you do.  Also, melatonin is something that, if you supplement it on a regular basis, your body "learns" of its presence and will therefore slow or stop its production of it.  It's not a permanent adjustment, but it is something to keep in mind and slowly wean yourself off of supplemental melatonin when the time is right.  Lastly, melatonin can cause depression, especially in the mornings, in a small number of persons.  So if this is something that you deal with anyways, it is possible it would be exacerbated by using melatonin.  All this being said about it, it may sound like I'm not a huge fan of using it -- but I truly am!  It's just important to keep these things in mind when supplementing it, so that you use it properly :thumbsup:

Taurine is not something I've looked much into, so I do not have any feedback to provide you regarding it.

You may also consider using calcium and magnesium in combination -- magnesium glycinate in particular.  Glycine is also an inhibitory neurotransmitter in the central nervous system, and has been shown to improve sleep quality in some individuals.  You could take a "power dose" about 15-30min before you go to bed at night, in order to help you fall asleep faster.  The amount in a "power dose" differs for each person, just keep in mind that magnesium glycinate has a high bioavailability (around 80% absorbable into the bloodstream), so it can affect things like lowering blood pressure and slowing heart rates, etc.  For me, I trend low with blood pressure, so a "power dose" for me is 200-300mg of magnesium glycinate.  This may be different for you; you will have to experiment to find the right amount for you.

Niacinimide (NOT just niacin, but niacinimide in particular) has also been shown to be quite helpful for helping improve sleep patterns.  100mg at night time before bed can be a nice starting dose.  It is also often used to aid in reduction of anxiety and panic attacks (side benefit). 

I also take large, therapeutic doses of vitamin C to help with the "adrenaline surges" they call it, as well as early morning wakings and "morning anxiety".  It is very, VERY helpful in reducing stress in the body in general, so it is a good practice to supplement with it anyways (again, IMO).  The form and blend of vitamin C matters in absorbability; I can get into details if you'd like, but I'll save my breath unless you ask :)

Okay, that's enough from me for now -- my brain/body needs a rest from the computer!  All in all, never underestimate the power of your xanax -- you'd be surprised how many of the things you've experienced, regarding symptoms, are more than likely from your tolerance/withdrawal to xanax!  I know I've sure been shocked by it all!  These benzos have a very powerful effect on the body :)  Hope some of this chatter has been helpful for you, friend!  Keep asking questions of any of the buddies on here!  It's a great way to learn how to do this in the best way possible for you!

Have a great night!

Mrs.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [be...]
    • [...]
    • [Sh...]
    • [la...]
    • [On...]
    • [...]
    • [Ch...]
    • [Be...]
    • [Da...]