Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

XANAX Support Blog: If you're tapering Xanax/alprazolam, join in the discussion!

[mr...]

I'm not sure where I should post this...So, I'm doing it here, because I'm wondering if it has to do with the Xan.

Why am I craving soda?  I usually drink a small can per day or every other day.  This last week if I didn't stop myself I could easily drink 2 or 3...WTH's going on with this?

Anybody?

FB

FB,

In the last month or so, food disgusts me.  I have absolutely no appetite, but it's coming back little by little.  Earlier in my taper, I would crave certain foods, begin to eat them, then dismiss them.  Some get ravenous, like my husband, who is tapering as well.  Who the heck knows with benzo withdrawal? 

I have a plastic water container that I refill 5-6 times per day.  Dry mouth is common in withdrawal, so be careful how many sugary drinks you consume per day.  Ice water has been one of my saviors in withdrawal along with my iPad.  And if you think you are becoming more dehydrated because of excessive water intake, (like I get sometimes), drink a bottle of pedialyte. 

Hope this helps

:smitten:

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Be...]

• [mr...]

• [Ra...]

• [VC...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it's been a long time, and I apologize for not checking in. This is my first post on this forum since it was made public. I discovered spending too much time here post jump was proving toxic to my mental healing. Weird because I desperately needed this board and everyone's support during my taper and detox.

I'm now just shy of being two weeks away from my 90 day Xanax free birthday! I feel better with each passing week and my biggest complaint now is some mild anxiety now and then. That's also weird as I've never had this issue in my life and never took Benzos for the treatment of anxiety. I suspect that's why this board now feels toxic? Well that and our forum is now public.

I've met two local people who've kicked the benzo habit. I can't tell you how wonderful it was to be able to talk to real flesh and blood benzo heads about their experiences. One is an old  friend I've known for well over 30 years. I suspect there are many more people we know who're taking this poison long term. Anyway, he had been taking 1.5 ~ 2.0mg twice a day for the last several years for anxiety after a very traumatic and life changing event. He decided it was time to stop and did a rapid taper, (30 days), with very few side effects. I asked him if he knew about benzo buddies and he responded forums such as this one proved counter productive to his withdrawal and recovery efforts.

This rapid taper and jump reaffirms that we're all different in our reactions and responces. I'm convinced our healing isn't linear, but I'm not 100% certain we really begin healing until the poison leaves our bodies once and for all. 

Anyway, I wanted to say hello and Happy New Year to the friends I made here who supported me during my taper and jump. I'll never forget you! Best wishes for those who are now benzo free, and to those who will jump in 2014.

If I can do this, anyone can!      :thumbsup:

So yesterday and today, because I didn't feel like eating lunch, I moved my 3:00pm dose of 1mg of Xanax to about noon.  So far no adverse effects.  Still taking the 8:30pm dose as scheduled.

Should I expect anything strange?  I'm thinking this may be helpful to keep this schedule to help with interdose withdrawals when I start my taper.  Any thoughts?  Thank you!

I'm not sure where I should post this...So, I'm doing it here, because I'm wondering if it has to do with the Xan.

Why am I craving soda?  I usually drink a small can per day or every other day.  This last week if I didn't stop myself I could easily drink 2 or 3...WTH's going on with this?

Anybody?

FB

FB

In BW, its not uncommon to crave certain things, as are entire system is "hijacked" ie nothing is normal.

You could be craving sugar, hence the increase in soda intake. I would not drink a lot of those. Try eating

some fruit along with a glass of water to see if this works. Fruit has glucose in it.

Chewing sugar free gum perhaps might help also.

Just some thoughts.

Be well, FB  NFM :angel:

So yesterday and today, because I didn't feel like eating lunch, I moved my 3:00pm dose of 1mg of Xanax to about noon.  So far no adverse effects.  Still taking the 8:30pm dose as scheduled.

Should I expect anything strange?  I'm thinking this may be helpful to keep this schedule to help with interdose withdrawals when I start my taper.  Any thoughts?  Thank you!

Rabbit11,

As long as you are consistant between the dose hours, ie every 4,6,8 with no increase in interdose wd

you should be okay. IMO

Randomly switching a short acting Benzo like Xanax would not work for me, but its your Taper.

Each of us is different.

Hope it works out  :thumbsup:

Notforme :angel:

True South...good to see you! Happy to hear you are doing well. I've often wished I had a local group of recovering benzo buddies to chat with in person. I am glad you have support. Best to you as you near your 90 day date...keep in touch.

Warmly,

Carita

I know it's been a long time, and I apologize for not checking in. This is my first post on this forum since it was made public. I discovered spending too much time here post jump was proving toxic to my mental healing. Weird because I desperately needed this board and everyone's support during my taper and detox.

I'm now just shy of being two weeks away from my 90 day Xanax free birthday! I feel better with each passing week and my biggest complaint now is some mild anxiety now and then. That's also weird as I've never had this issue in my life and never took Benzos for the treatment of anxiety. I suspect that's why this board now feels toxic? Well that and our forum is now public.

I've met two local people who've kicked the benzo habit. I can't tell you how wonderful it was to be able to talk to real flesh and blood benzo heads about their experiences. One is an old  friend I've known for well over 30 years. I suspect there are many more people we know who're taking this poison long term. Anyway, he had been taking 1.5 ~ 2.0mg twice a day for the last several years for anxiety after a very traumatic and life changing event. He decided it was time to stop and did a rapid taper, (30 days), with very few side effects. I asked him if he knew about benzo buddies and he responded forums such as this one proved counter productive to his withdrawal and recovery efforts.

This rapid taper and jump reaffirms that we're all different in our reactions and responces. I'm convinced our healing isn't linear, but I'm not 100% certain we really begin healing until the poison leaves our bodies once and for all. 

Anyway, I wanted to say hello and Happy New Year to the friends I made here who supported me during my taper and jump. I'll never forget you! Best wishes for those who are now benzo free, and to those who will jump in 2014.

If I can do this, anyone can!      :thumbsup:

I'm happy to hear you are doing well TS!  Please come back and post inspirational messages when you can!

Hugs

I've missed you and so many others Carita. We all have a special connection that I cherish.

Very few people know what this brother and sisterhood is about and I have enjoyed the support received on BB.

I don't have a benzo support group per say. My old friend had very few problems tapering and was symptom free post jump. Obviously he doesn't have much symphony or advise. I can call anytime I like, have a cup of coffee or lunch, but sadly he's not much help. Some people seem to get lucky?

I had a completely random and chance encounter with a full on addict and that was intersting. 38 year old alcoholic, herion addict, and coupled with LOTS of Xanax and Valium daily.  She said her detox was a treatment center affair and the alcohol and herion sxs were over and done in less than a week, but the benzos really kicked her ass with the heart palps being the absolute worst. She's now 9 months clean and sober and has no desire to return to her former life. 

Dear TrueSouth,

What a challenge...benzos and heroin. Good for her for changing her life. I misunderstood your post thinking you had more support. Must say I envy those who have an easy time getting off these drugs.

Again,  happy you are doing well. As Baby said....please come back with your progress updates. I know we all crave those stories. I have missed you here.

Warmly,

Carita

TrueSouth, I'm new here, but would like to offer my congratulations to you!  I can see how coming to the board might increase anxiety.  Sometimes it does for me when I read the scary stories, but at the same time, there is solace in that others are going through the same thing (even though I haven't started my taper yet). 

Your friend sounds like one of the lucky few.  Good for him!

Have a great 2014!

I've missed you and so many others Carita. We all have a special connection that I cherish.

Very few people know what this brother and sisterhood is about and I have enjoyed the support received on BB.

I don't have a benzo support group per say. My old friend had very few problems tapering and was symptom free post jump. Obviously he doesn't have much symphony or advise. I can call anytime I like, have a cup of coffee or lunch, but sadly he's not much help. Some people seem to get lucky?

I had a completely random and chance encounter with a full on addict and that was intersting. 38 year old alcoholic, herion addict, and coupled with LOTS of Xanax and Valium daily.  She said her detox was a treatment center affair and the alcohol and herion sxs were over and done in less than a week, but the benzos really kicked her ass with the heart palps being the absolute worst. She's now 9 months clean and sober and has no desire to return to her former life.

When I hear of folks that do a rapid cessation from the drug with little-to-no side effects, it **almost** makes me question if there's something wrong with me, that I do feel side effects, and so vehemently at that.  But alas, I can not think like that, as we all have a little bit different makeup to us, and therefore react differently :)

I am just glad that I am here for those folks who are much like me -- using the drug and UUBER ( ;) ) sensitive.  No one person can relate to everybody, so...there's that special group of individuals who were/are just like me in this mess, and only people like me could ever relate to or comfort in a special way.  I'd never want them to think that there was something wrong with them, or that it was "all in their heads".  I can relate to those folks and make them feel not alone, in a special way that someone who gets off the drug with very little problems ever could.  And, those who get off with no problems will relate to others like them in ways that I never could, too, you know?  We're all needed in a special way, each one of our walks off the drug...someone else out there is suffering like our story, and that's what our experiences will serve to help.  If we allow them to.  Our "mess" can become our "ministry"; we will either be bitter or better for all this.

That's it today for Mrs's Musings  :):laugh:  Love you guys lots! 

True South...good to see you! Happy to hear you are doing well. I've often wished I had a local group of recovering benzo buddies to chat with in person. I am glad you have support. Best to you as you near your 90 day date...keep in touch.

Warmly,

Carita

Carita,

I would give anything if there was a local chapter of BB.  Wouldn't we benefit so much if we could physically meet with others.  It would be sooo helpful!

FB

Warmly,

Carita

Carita,

I would give anything if there was a local chapter of BB.  Wouldn't we benefit so much if we could physically meet with others.  It would be sooo helpful!

FB

I know FB...to look into someone's eyes who really understands this would be healing in itself.

Glad we can share here.

Love,

Carita

When I hear of folks that do a rapid cessation from the drug with little-to-no side effects, it **almost** makes me question if there's something wrong with me, that I do feel side effects, and so vehemently at that.  But alas, I can not think like that, as we all have a little bit different makeup to us, and therefore react differently :)

I am just glad that I am here for those folks who are much like me -- using the drug and UUBER ( ;) ) sensitive.  No one person can relate to everybody, so...there's that special group of individuals who were/are just like me in this mess, and only people like me could ever relate to or comfort in a special way.  I'd never want them to think that there was something wrong with them, or that it was "all in their heads".  I can relate to those folks and make them feel not alone, in a special way that someone who gets off the drug with very little problems ever could.  And, those who get off with no problems will relate to others like them in ways that I never could, too, you know?  We're all needed in a special way, each one of our walks off the drug...someone else out there is suffering like our story, and that's what our experiences will serve to help.  If we allow them to.  Our "mess" can become our "ministry"; we will either be bitter or better for all this.

Mrs,

I've felt this very same thing time and time again.  It can be so discouraging, but we are all different.  I feel as though I'm at the "bottom of the barrel".  I've had a horrific taper, but I am now in recovery.  And I am noticing teensy weensy signs of healing.  Hang in there with me, GF!

Beautiful post Mrs. Thank you. I am so glad you are here.

Warmly,

Carita

TS, did your friends heart palps subside? when? or not?

Mrs. and others, theres nothing wrong with us....it just happens, circumstance... thats why the Ashton Manual and this site exist... she found a minority of people that this kept happening too and found out why.....

Mrs,

I've felt this very same thing time and time again.  It can be so discouraging, but we are all different.  I feel as though I'm at the "bottom of the barrel".  I've had a horrific taper, but I am now in recovery.  And I am noticing teensy weensy signs of healing.  Hang in there with me, GF!

...concurrently hanging...

:P  8)

TS, did your friends heart palps subside? when? or not?

Mrs. and others, theres nothing wrong with us....it just happens, circumstance... thats why the Ashton Manual and this site exist... she found a minority of people that this kept happening too and found out why.....

I know, I know :P It just strikes me as so bizarre!! My curious side asks "why", LOL!! Oh well, doesn't really matter I suppose :)

Yes mama, my gait has stayed healed, I'm back to swinging my tank of sugar with the best of em honey,,, swishy swish just lika fish :smitten:

Oh lordy, how you crack me up!! :laugh: Regular eye candy aren't you when you swing that sugar around!!

Blue :smitten:

Hi Challis and Monique,

I was on Xanax Xr and tapered mostly from it. I have previously given Monique some thoughts on another thread. I am happy to help in any way, Monique. I do have to disagree with your doc though. Xanax Xr is exactly the same as regular Xanax except that it takes longer to process in the body. So it is really no different than taking regular Xanax but dosing more frequently. It has a lower rate of interdose w/d because of this. However, none of this impacts the ease or difficulty of w/d due to gaba receptors being down regulated. I'd really caution you on making such a big cut. You might do just fine but trust if you don't it is not worth going faster than necessary. Let me know how I can help!

Hopeful Girl

Thanks Challis and Hopeful Girl,

Hopeful Girl has given me advice on another thread and Julea has also given me a example of a taper plan.  Her taper plan is using replacing the XR gradually with regular and taper in smaller increments.  I think I am going to try that and see how I feel. I didn't feel any withdrawal with the first .5mg cut so I am hoping it goes good with me.  My doctor did say the last .5mg is when I need to go slow.  Just don't want to get to where I was 1 year ago.  Thanks for everyones advice.  Glad there are so many here willing to help.

Monique

Thats the typical U.S. Standard Drs taper, a lot of people can do it successfully. But...

It's the reason for the Ashton Manual(and BBs) because we (the minority) can't, without problems..

You might can, maybe you won't be in the minority group!!!

You can try it but be careful...

Will he let you go slower? If you want or need to?

Hey Benzy, Yes he has told me to take my time and do what i feel is best for me.  I have some regular xanax but it is .5mg.  I may need to call and ask for some .25mg to make it easier to cut in smaller increments. 

Thanks

I luv it when I make you smile Ms BlueBell, I have a special affection for you, you've been there since I started (I miss your insomnia nights but Im glad youre better) and you never rejected me, even when I was acting out in withdrawals THANKS :smitten:

Hi, just checking in because I've been quiet for a while....mother in law passed away, then Christmas, New Year's, wedding anniversary, blah blah blah.  In other words: life has been going on.  I feel crap crap crappy physically and somewhat depressed emotionally, but not forlorn & not hopeless by any means.  I just haven't wanted to post anything, and got by on a few PM communications & my spiritual readings every day.

I'm freaking tired.  The thoughts I've been thinking have been sad, I think because of my mother-in-law's passing kicking up feelings about not only losing her but having lost both my parents when I was young, and my dear sister, and I feel really down.  I keep thinking I'm pretty much at the end of the line too and what will I leave behind?  My motivation for cleaning and organizing is so that I don't leave a mess behind for everyone.

But, that COULD be withdrawal symptoms talking...not sure.  I just know I feel really sad and unmotivated right now, although I've felt pretty unmotivated for a long time now.

OK, that's it for Debbie Downer today.  Happy New Year folks!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [...]
    • [Os...]
    • [ca...]
    • [bi...]
    • [Ra...]
    • [En...]
    • [hu...]
    • [Jo...]
    • [Pa...]
    • [Ta...]
    • [fa...]