Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

XANAX Support Blog: If you're tapering Xanax/alprazolam, join in the discussion!

[mr...]

Thanks Benzy and Challis, so I have a question. . .

I take 1mg at about 3:00pm (recently added since October) and 2mg at about 8:30pm for sleep last 13 months).  Used sporadically for several years before that.  Before I actually start to taper, should I try to even out the doses, so try to move 1mg of the 2mg dose to a morning 1mg dose?  So dosing would be 8:00am 1mg, 3:00pm 1mg and then 8:30 1mg. 

Or should I try to start the taper by eliminating the afternoon dose (.0625) at a time, then start working on the evening dose.

I HAVE to be super functional at work, I have a very stressful job. 

What do you all think?  Thank you!

Are you doing okay with those two times?  If so, I'd go ahead and start cutting one of those doses (probably the 2mg). 

I've seen it happen where someone's taken a single dose a day for years and tried to spread that amount into more doses and it wasn't very successful.  I don't know why…maybe our bodies get used to certain times.  I dosed all over the place during the day but stuck to the same amount each day.  Less if I could.

Challis  :)

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Be...]

• [mr...]

• [Ra...]

• [VC...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I never liked it very well when I split up my dose..

you might find you dont like feeling drugged during the day....

I went back and forth a bit, no problem there, as long as you keep the same daily dose, you can play with it just a bit with no problems...

I went back to one dose just for the convenience of it, plus I learned to ward off the interdose withdrawals with my beta blocker, you might ask about using a mild beta blocker, I take metoprolol, I see lots of people using them to help with the withdrawals...

Thanks Benzy and Challis, so I have a question. . .

I take 1mg at about 3:00pm (recently added since October) and 2mg at about 8:30pm for sleep last 13 months).  Used sporadically for several years before that.  Before I actually start to taper, should I try to even out the doses, so try to move 1mg of the 2mg dose to a morning 1mg dose?  So dosing would be 8:00am 1mg, 3:00pm 1mg and then 8:30 1mg. 

Or should I try to start the taper by eliminating the afternoon dose (.0625) at a time, then start working on the evening dose.

I HAVE to be super functional at work, I have a very stressful job. 

What do you all think?  Thank you!

Are you doing okay with those two times?  If so, I'd go ahead and start cutting one of those doses (probably the 2mg). 

I've seen it happen where someone's taken a single dose a day for years and tried to spread that amount into more doses and it wasn't very successful.  I don't know why…maybe our bodies get used to certain times.  I dosed all over the place during the day but stuck to the same amount each day.  Less if I could.

Challis  :)

Thank you Challis, so would you start chopping the 2mg, get it down to 1mg and then start chopping every other one.  So once I'm down to 1mg afternoon and 1mg night, then start chopping afternoon dose, hold for 2 weeks or so and them chop the night dose and so on?  Thank you so much for your help.

I never liked it very well when I split up my dose..

you might find you dont like feeling drugged during the day....

I went back and forth a bit, no problem there, as long as you keep the same daily dose, you can play with it just a bit with no problems...

I went back to one dose just for the convenience of it, plus I learned to ward off the interdose withdrawals with my beta blocker, you might ask about using a mild beta blocker, I take metoprolol, I see lots of people using them to help with the withdrawals...

Thank you Benzy, The Seroquel (which I hate) is pretty much keeping the anxiety under control at this point.  My husband takes a beta-blocker for his heart.  I just don't want one more thing to have to wean off of.

Twenty one days ago I started splitting up my Xanax dose from once a day to three times a day.  On day nineteen I gave up.  That was three days ago.  It did nothing for my symptoms but make me groggy all day.

However, each person is different so you will have to decide of you want to give it a try and if you are happy with the results or not.

I'm close, Hopefulgirl, but still have a little ways to go.

I remember someone else 'hitting the wall' so to speak at about 3/4ths off, and I then researched marathons. I wanted to know the toughest part of the run for the marathoners (besides the start, of course). And you know when that was? You've guessed right: mile 20-21. Right about 3/4ths the way.

Its the toughest leg, besides the start, because you're as tired, burnt out, run down, and hurt as you're going to be on the journey...you've already been going a long time and you've used up all your helpers in your "bag of tricks"...and the finish line is still just far enough out that you still can't see it. Its a TOUGH time, and its very easy to become convinced that the finish line is never gonna come. You just plain want to quit, mentally and physically.

I don't like to say it, but while I understood the concept before, I know the feeling now. Its all I've got in me at some moments (albeit they're very short lived) to keep going. At the lowest of the low moments, its miserable. Absolute pits. But you know what? Through it all, this whole mess, I don't know that I'd trade it. Weird as that sounds, but my strength and character and COMPASSION for others has grown so much this year, in ways that it probably never would've...I can't imagine being the person I was before all this. And, MAN! I used to be AWFUL to my husband. And even before I started treating him better, he STILL stood by me, supported me, loved me, helped me, and took care of me and EVERYTHING else in our lives when I couldn't from this mess...our victory in marriage now is so precious to me...

This benzo storm has surely ravaged many a thing, but the flowers and the beauty that has grown from the freshly dampened soil of the storm is so precious...and that new growth has only just begun, you know? Amidst the dumb Benzo What-Ifs that drum around, I just believe deep down things will get better...its a hope and a dream of mine, for complete healing, restored as twice the person I entered into all this as.

Mrs is rambling again, lol...my apologies for filling up the forum tonight. I hope your new year celebration is a good one; may 2014 be a year of exponential healing and new hope!!

I think I just heard the news say there was one million people in Times Square for NYE.... is that possible??? im glad I aint there...

Thank you Challis, so would you start chopping the 2mg, get it down to 1mg and then start chopping every other one.  So once I'm down to 1mg afternoon and 1mg night, then start chopping afternoon dose, hold for 2 weeks or so and them chop the night dose and so on?  Thank you so much for your help.

Let's cross that bridge when we get there… for now I'd cut the 2mg by .0625 which is much smaller than the 10% usually recommended but I think it's best to go cautiously.  I was able to cut .25 at a time but I'm a headstrong fool sometimes.  Besides, I was doing it on my own and totally guessing how much to cut.

Do you have .25 tablets to cut?

I'm close, Hopefulgirl, but still have a little ways to go.

I remember someone else 'hitting the wall' so to speak at about 3/4ths off, and I then researched marathons. I wanted to know the toughest part of the run for the marathoners (besides the start, of course). And you know when that was? You've guessed right: mile 20-21. Right about 3/4ths the way.

Its the toughest leg, besides the start, because you're as tired, burnt out, run down, and hurt as you're going to be on the journey...you've already been going a long time and you've used up all your helpers in your "bag of tricks"...and the finish line is still just far enough out that you still can't see it. Its a TOUGH time, and its very easy to become convinced that the finish line is never gonna come. You just plain want to quit, mentally and physically.

I don't like to say it, but while I understood the concept before, I know the feeling now. Its all I've got in me at some moments (albeit they're very short lived) to keep going. At the lowest of the low moments, its miserable. Absolute pits. But you know what? Through it all, this whole mess, I don't know that I'd trade it. Weird as that sounds, but my strength and character and COMPASSION for others has grown so much this year, in ways that it probably never would've...I can't imagine being the person I was before all this. And, MAN! I used to be AWFUL to my husband. And even before I started treating him better, he STILL stood by me, supported me, loved me, helped me, and took care of me and EVERYTHING else in our lives when I couldn't from this mess...our victory in marriage now is so precious to me...

This benzo storm has surely ravaged many a thing, but the flowers and the beauty that has grown from the freshly dampened soil of the storm is so precious...and that new growth has only just begun, you know? Amidst the dumb Benzo What-Ifs that drum around, I just believe deep down things will get better...its a hope and a dream of mine, for complete healing, restored as twice the person I entered into all this as.

Mrs is rambling again, lol...my apologies for filling up the forum tonight. I hope your new year celebration is a good one; may 2014 be a year of exponential healing and new hope!!

I find your 'rambling' inspiring!  :)

I think I just heard the news say there was one million people in Times Square for NYE.... is that possible??? im glad I aint there...

Roy says that is a very reasonable number to be in attendance.  He is from NY so he ought to know.

Twenty one days ago I started splitting up my Xanax dose from once a day to three times a day.  On day nineteen I gave up.  That was three days ago.  It did nothing for my symptoms but make me groggy all day.

However, each person is different so you will have to decide of you want to give it a try and if you are happy with the results or not.

The Seroquel has me so groggy in the morning, I wasn't looking forward to taking Xanax first thing in the morning, although 1mg doesn't make me groggy anymore.  Thank you for weighing in  :)

Let's cross that bridge when we get there… for now I'd cut the 2mg by .0625 which is much smaller than the 10% usually recommended but I think it's best to go cautiously.  I was able to cut .25 at a time but I'm a headstrong fool sometimes.  Besides, I was doing it on my own and totally guessing how much to cut.

Thank you Challis, no I don't have any .25s to cut from, I'll have to talk to my doctor about that.  I'm hoping after what I've been through in the last 3 months, he'll agree to that.  I want to go low and slow to avoid crippling symptoms.  I don't really want anyone to know I'm tapering off Xanax if I can help it.

Rabbit, I'll weigh in from the other viewpoint on divided dosages...

Dividing my dosages into four times per day, every six hours, removed about 50% of my symptoms and made tapering a WHOLE lot better...

Not to confuse you or anything, friend. But if you have a hard time with interdose withdrawal, it might be a good idea to try. If you have no issues with it, you probably don't need to brother :)

The Seroquel has me so groggy in the morning, I wasn't looking forward to taking Xanax first thing in the morning, although 1mg doesn't make me groggy anymore.  Thank you for weighing in  :)

You are welcome. I was still groggy from the once a night dose of trazodone for sleep so it just made that even worse.  I could not believe I was so stoned in the morning and taking a Xanax right when I woke up.  ???

I was on 4mg once a day at bedtime for sleep and now in the daytime 0.5mg makes me groggy and 1.0mg makes me out of it.  Especially every 4-6 hours. 

It was ridiculous. ::)

I think Im gonna run down to the liquor stow and get a bottle of Baileys for NYE.. :sick:

We have 1/2 Gallon downstairs, I'm to chicken to drink any now  :(

I think Im gonna run down to the liquor stow and get a bottle of Baileys for NYE.. :sick:

Benzy, I am just in shock and awe that you drink and smoke!! Can't be good for the 'ole GABAa receptors... :nono:

:smitten:

Benzy, I am just in shock and awe that you drink and smoke!! Can't be good for the 'ole GABAa receptors... :nono:

:smitten:

Well....he ain't the only one.... :-[

Dividing my dosages into four times per day, every six hours, removed about 50% of my symptoms and made tapering a WHOLE lot better...

Not to confuse you or anything, friend. But if you have a hard time with interdose withdrawal, it might be a good idea to try. If you have no issues with it, you probably don't need to brother :)

Thank you Mrs, I'm not having any issues now with interdose withdrawal, at least nothing serious.  Were you previously dosing once a day and went to 4 times per day?

Thank you Mrs, I'm not having any issues now with interdose withdrawal, at least nothing serious.  Were you previously dosing once a day and went to 4 times per day?

Yep. I moved from "PRN" (as needed) to once per day, then gradually to twice per day, then gradually to four timed per day. I slooooowly progressed to the four dosings, just to go easy on myself.

Thank you Challis, no I don't have any .25s to cut from, I'll have to talk to my doctor about that.  I'm hoping after what I've been through in the last 3 months, he'll agree to that.  I want to go low and slow to avoid crippling symptoms.  I don't really want anyone to know I'm tapering off Xanax if I can help it.

I hope so, too.  Maybe call him the day after New Year's and ask for .25s.  Most doctors will be happy you're tapering and gladly provide them.  If you have any sense that he will try to rush you through a taper or cut off your refills then don't mention tapering. 

.0625 is one-fourth of a .25 and that's sort of the Xanax magic cut number.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [jo...]
    • [...]
    • [En...]
    • [fr...]
    • [Ra...]
    • [ca...]
    • [Ct...]
    • [Li...]
    • [Sh...]
    • [Re...]
    • [Da...]