Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

XANAX Support Blog: If you're tapering Xanax/alprazolam, join in the discussion!

[mr...]

I've just come to the realization I'm most likely dependent on/addicted to xanax. My mom claims she can take Valium off and on with no bad effects, and doesn't think this could possibly be. My doctor, who prescribed this last round of xanax, said there was no award for not taking it, and I replied that the award was not being addicted!  I can go for weeks without it, and feel pretty fine. But something will set me off, send me into a huge panic spiral and it's back to xanax.

This last time was on Christmas Eve when I got the stomach flu. Ravaged by exhaustion, guilt for ruining a holiday, sadness for not being able to enjoy it... The panic set in big time. I took a lot (for me!), .625 over the course of the day.  Plus some propranolol (Inderal).  Luckily the bug passed quickly, but here I am still feeling panicky and anxious. Skin crawling, sensitive to light and sound, doom/dread, depressed, defeated, hot/cold, depersonalization, guilty as hell (what's that about?), weird thoughts.  Yikes. Just took .0625mg to see if that might help this funk I woke up in. Usually I wake up feeling pretty good, too.  It's the nights that are especially  hard.

Recently, we went through a stressful move around Oct 1. I wasn't actually taking xanax very often then. Right after the move, I got sick with bronchitis, took some Dextromethorphan and Benadryl together. Had a terrible allergic reaction; hallucinations, swelling of throat, racing heart... Was given ativan at the ER, and ever since then have had panic/anxiety everyday all the time.  Magnesium has helped immensely, as well as more supplements. I started on propranolol which makes me feel weird rage, so I have to take the xanax with it. Right before Christmas Eve I hadn't taken any xanax or propranolol for 3 weeks and was feeling so much better! 

I have an appointment with a Naturopathic doctor on Friday.  I don't think all the panic is solely coming from xanax because I didn't take for it so long and felt fine; and got the panic before I took it more regularly... But what do I know?  This is all so new to me, and not sure who or what to believe.  I just know this is a BAD drug, but am having a really hard time imagining my life without it... Flying, insomnia, panic attacks... :(

Mrsalw suggested I think about a taper. I think that would be a good idea.  Even though I take so little, and "as needed", I think I'm stuck here in interdose withdrawal.  One too many "cold turkeys".

There's more info here on my story if you care to read it: http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=97930.0

Sorry for the length... I've been lurking here for a few months and finally got the courage to post here. Thank you for any help and wisdom!

I dunno what to think about this Mac...

from what you've said here, it seems you have anxiety/panic disorder...

if youve just taken xanax sparingly, and only at .0625, its not the xanax...

Ive heard of people having a bad reaction to it the very first time they take it, but your circumstances are different, you had anxiety already....did the xanax help that? if so, the xanax probably isnt the problem...

taper? from what? lol,, you're taking .0625 when you take a "random" dose.. thats what a lot of us jump from at the end of our tapers...

Im thinking you probably have a really good case of the anxiety/panic disorder going on is all...

especially if the xanax does help when you do take it....and a random dose at .0625 isn't gonna cause a problem.... I think you have another problem going on, like the anxiety stuff...

thats a good thing...

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Be...]

• [mr...]

• [Ra...]

• [VC...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just come to the realization I'm most likely dependent on/addicted to xanax. My mom claims she can take Valium off and on with no bad effects, and doesn't think this could possibly be. My doctor, who prescribed this last round of xanax, said there was no award for not taking it, and I replied that the award was not being addicted!  I can go for weeks without it, and feel pretty fine. But something will set me off, send me into a huge panic spiral and it's back to xanax.

This last time was on Christmas Eve when I got the stomach flu. Ravaged by exhaustion, guilt for ruining a holiday, sadness for not being able to enjoy it... The panic set in big time. I took a lot (for me!), .625 over the course of the day.  Plus some propranolol (Inderal).  Luckily the bug passed quickly, but here I am still feeling panicky and anxious. Skin crawling, sensitive to light and sound, doom/dread, depressed, defeated, hot/cold, depersonalization, guilty as hell (what's that about?), weird thoughts.  Yikes. Just took .0625mg to see if that might help this funk I woke up in. Usually I wake up feeling pretty good, too.  It's the nights that are especially  hard.

Recently, we went through a stressful move around Oct 1. I wasn't actually taking xanax very often then. Right after the move, I got sick with bronchitis, took some Dextromethorphan and Benadryl together. Had a terrible allergic reaction; hallucinations, swelling of throat, racing heart... Was given ativan at the ER, and ever since then have had panic/anxiety everyday all the time.  Magnesium has helped immensely, as well as more supplements. I started on propranolol which makes me feel weird rage, so I have to take the xanax with it. Right before Christmas Eve I hadn't taken any xanax or propranolol for 3 weeks and was feeling so much better! 

I have an appointment with a Naturopathic doctor on Friday.  I don't think all the panic is solely coming from xanax because I didn't take for it so long and felt fine; and got the panic before I took it more regularly... But what do I know?  This is all so new to me, and not sure who or what to believe.  I just know this is a BAD drug, but am having a really hard time imagining my life without it... Flying, insomnia, panic attacks... :(

Mrsalw suggested I think about a taper. I think that would be a good idea.  Even though I take so little, and "as needed", I think I'm stuck here in interdose withdrawal.  One too many "cold turkeys".

There's more info here on my story if you care to read it: http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=97930.0

Sorry for the length... I've been lurking here for a few months and finally got the courage to post here. Thank you for any help and wisdom!

I dunno what to think about this Mac...

from what you've said here, it seems you have anxiety/panic disorder...

if youve just taken xanax sparingly, and only at .0625, its not the xanax...

Ive heard of people having a bad reaction to it the very first time they take it, but your circumstances are different, you had anxiety already....did the xanax help that? if so, the xanax probably isnt the problem...

taper? from what? lol,, you're taking .0625 when you take a "random" dose.. thats what a lot of us jump from at the end of our tapers...

Im thinking you probably have a really good case of the anxiety/panic disorder going on is all...

especially if the xanax does help when you do take it....and a random dose at .0625 isn't gonna cause a problem.... I think you have another problem going on, like the anxiety stuff...

thats a good thing...

I'll respectfully disagree with this, based on my own personal sensitivities and experiences.

Much love to ya, Benzy -- I don't mean any disrespect of course :)

Time will tell, once I'm free and done with the drug. But I've had just as many symptoms as others, and I'm at a fraction of the dosage that most are. Call it what you want, but I never experienced things like this prior to benzo use.

To each their own opinion, of course. But for me, I'm choosing to call the benzo's bluff. I believe that, since Mac used them as I did (very PRN), he's probably in a similar boat as I.

But again, everyone has their own opinion :) Whatever works for you is cool!

TBH, I'm having a hard time understanding the course of events that took place here, and how often/how much you were taking.

On one hand you sat that after a single dose of Ativan at the ER you felt anxiety all day every day.  But, then you say you were feeling much better for 3 weeks while not taking any Xanax?

Just from this quote

I didn't take for it so long and felt fine; and got the panic before I took it more regularly

It sounds like you have more of an anxiety problem than a Xanax problem.  It doesn't sound like you are dependant on it in the sense that your body is no longer producing sufficient amounts of GABA on its own, but rather that you get anxiety from time to time due to stressful situation and don't know how you would get by those situations without the Xanax.  That is a very different kind of 'dependancy' if I'm understanding correctly.

My general feelings (again if I'm understanding correctly) is that you get anxiety sometimes.  If that is the case, there are options out there to help with that.  SSRI's can be helpful for people that get anxiety.  Identifying stressors, and avoiding them or learning to deal with them better (ex cognititve behaviour therapy).  Even prn Xanax use can be helpful.

Bleh, I feel like crap today.  I wish this whole thing was more linear.  I don't think I'll be able to come off as quick as I originally hoped.

lacey23… could you put a 'signature' in your profile so we can see where you are in the process?  Go to Profile, select Forum Profile from the drop-down menu and write your benzo history in the text box…click Change Profile to save the changes.

Thanks!

Challis  :highfive:

TBH, I'm having a hard time understanding the course of events that took place here, and how often/how much you were taking.

On one hand you sat that after a single dose of Ativan at the ER you felt anxiety all day every day.  But, then you say you were feeling much better for 3 weeks while not taking any Xanax?

Just from this quote

I didn't take for it so long and felt fine; and got the panic before I took it more regularly

It sounds like you have more of an anxiety problem than a Xanax problem.  It doesn't sound like you are dependant on it in the sense that your body is no longer producing sufficient amounts of GABA on its own, but rather that you get anxiety from time to time due to stressful situation and don't know how you would get by those situations without the Xanax.  That is a very different kind of 'dependancy' if I'm understanding correctly.

My general feelings (again if I'm understanding correctly) is that you get anxiety sometimes.  If that is the case, there are options out there to help with that.  SSRI's can be helpful for people that get anxiety.  Identifying stressors, and avoiding them or learning to deal with them better (ex cognititve behaviour therapy).  Even prn Xanax use can be helpful.

Hi-

Allow me to clarify...

I've been taking benzos for panic attacks and anxiety for 7+ years. Sometimes taking it a few days in a row, sometimes not for a few weeks or months.  I used to binge drink about 2 weekends a month and would get terrible hangovers with extreme panic. That seemed to be the main use of the benzos for me, tbh.  (I've stopped drinking for 6 months now.) 

Sometimes I would take the xanax for insomnia, stomach aches, menstrual cramps, etc. It seemed to be a cure-all. But never more than .25 twice a day for more than 3 days. I made sure of that, fearing addiction and withdrawals.  Unless we were traveling or I was particularly panicky, then it would go longer than 3 days.  But not too much. 

Cue October and my illness... I was given ativan in the ER. And then came home after all the cough medications wore off that I was reacting to, but I was still feeling like crap. They gave me an rx for ativan which I took. It didn't really help with the awful and overwhelming constant panic spiral I was in. I went back to taking xanax, .125mg to .25mg a few times a day, which helped a bit and I also took propranolol. After about 3-4 weeks of that I began taking less and less. Until around The beginning of Dec. when I stopped taking everything completely and felt pretty great!  Then the episode on Christmas Eve; it made me feel just like the one from October in terms of the panic spiral. So I megadosed (for me) with xanax and propranolol all Christmas Day to cope.  And am now back to feeling the low level but constant panic feeling of dread and doom I just felt like I conquered.

That .0625 dose of xanax I took this morning didn't really do much, just took the edge off a little. It's still hard for me to tell if this is just plain old anxiety or the xanax. The only reason I have a hard time believing it's just anxiety is I don't have a lot of the main symptoms of anxiety; deep breathing, meditation, and cbt hasn't helped; and xanax makes it a bit better but doesn't make me feel like :) "aaaahhhhhh", just makes the feeling like I'm going to go crazy turn off.  In the throes of a terrible classic panic attack, xanax does make feel good. So there's that.

I'm sure this new dr will have lots of ideas...  None of my symptoms or what I've taken even makes linear sense to me, it's all a blur, so I don't see how it would make sense to you guys.  I'll do my best to keep my questions more topical and concise.

I guess I'm just wondering if small doses of xanax taken for several years, sometimes daily, sometimes weekly, or monthly, could cause what I'm feeling now.

With the elaboration on your use, I would say that yes, your description points to dependence.  All the on/off medicating has probably set you up for some withdrawal issues.

At this point you may want to give tapering a try.  .0625 is probably not enough to do much to relieve your symptoms.  What would you guess could be roughly a daily dose to begin tapering from?  .25?

Challis  :)

With the elaboration on your use, I would say that yes, your description points to dependence.  All the on/off medicating has probably set you up for some withdrawal issues.

At this point you may want to give tapering a try.  .0625 is probably not enough to do much to relieve your symptoms.  What would you guess could be roughly a daily dose to begin tapering from?  .25?

This is where I started from, too :thumbsup:

Forgive me adding my two cents worth, but our situations & symptoms parallel so much :)

lacey23… could you put a 'signature' in your profile so we can see where you are in the process?  Go to Profile, select Forum Profile from the drop-down menu and write your benzo history in the text box…click Change Profile to save the changes.

Thanks!

Challis  :highfive:

Ok, I did.  But I don't think many around here are going to agree with the rate of my taper.  It's is closer to a 'Dr's taper' so far.

Forgive me adding my two cents worth, but our situations & symptoms parallel so much :)

I love your two cents!  I want my life back and am willing to try anything to get there. I don't want my daughter to think this is how mom should be. I can't apologize to my husband one more time.  My mom successfully tapered off of Klonopin using liquid Valium at my insistence 5 years ago.  I gave her the Ashton manual.  :laugh:

Mrsalw- how often daily do you take your taper dose? Should I read the water titration posts? Ashton manual?

I love your two cents!  I want my life back and am willing to try anything to get there. I don't want my daughter to think this is how mom should be. I can't apologize to my husband one more time.  My mom successfully tapered off of Klonopin using liquid Valium at my insistence 5 years ago.  I gave her the Ashton manual.  :laugh:

Mrsalw- how often daily do you take your taper dose? Should I read the water titration posts? Ashton manual?

Hi again Mac,

I dose four times per day, every six hours to account for Xanax's half life of 6 hours.  A long time ago, I had a buddy ask me on my personal blog for some information about how I water titrate. It is found here: http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=79163.msg1049215#msg1049215  Feel free to read through it, if it could help you.

Ashton manual is a great place to begin, for sure.  I read that top to bottom practically, when I first discovered I was in tolerance.  It was very helpful in me finding a starting point.

Most of why I decided to taper as slowly as I have was because of how sensitive I was to such a small dose (0.25mg).  I couldn't imagine cutting the standard 0.0625mg (1/4 of a 0.25mg tablet), based on how sick I was just from tolerance.  So I decided that a gradual water titration would be best for me.  I'd never imagined it would've taken this long to get to where I'm at currently (13 months to move from 0.25mg per day to 0.06mg per day), but it is what has worked for me.  I work fulltime and also coach weight loss and nutrition parttime, and wanted to remain functional enough to continue to do these things well.  Up until last couple weeks, I have done nothing but get more stable and heal all throughout my taper.  These past few weeks have been a bit of digression in symptoms because I'm in low doses, but I do not want to slow down my taper.  Therefore, I am aware that symptoms may get icky towards the end here.  I was hopeful to slither off my benzo with nothing but healing, but I will do what I need to in order to get off.  It is what it is :P

Two other ladies you could inquire information from that have also water titrated would be Hopefulgirl and Carita, both of which are also a part of this Xanax thread.  Both had issues as they moved into the lower doses, and are relatively sensitive to Xanax, so both could give you some good, relate-able advice as well :)  Both also water-titrated from the low doses, so they may be of assistance to you there, too. :thumbsup:

Hope this is helpful for you, Mac :smitten:  Whatever you decide is right for you, we'll be here to support :) 

Hi-

Allow me to clarify...

I've been taking benzos for panic attacks and anxiety for 7+ years. Sometimes taking it a few days in a row, sometimes not for a few weeks or months.  I used to binge drink about 2 weekends a month and would get terrible hangovers with extreme panic. That seemed to be the main use of the benzos for me, tbh.  (I've stopped drinking for 6 months now.) 

Sometimes I would take the xanax for insomnia, stomach aches, menstrual cramps, etc. It seemed to be a cure-all. But never more than .25 twice a day for more than 3 days. I made sure of that, fearing addiction and withdrawals.  Unless we were traveling or I was particularly panicky, then it would go longer than 3 days.  But not too much. 

Cue October and my illness... I was given ativan in the ER. And then came home after all the cough medications wore off that I was reacting to, but I was still feeling like crap. They gave me an rx for ativan which I took. It didn't really help with the awful and overwhelming constant panic spiral I was in. I went back to taking xanax, .125mg to .25mg a few times a day, which helped a bit and I also took propranolol. After about 3-4 weeks of that I began taking less and less. Until around The beginning of Dec. when I stopped taking everything completely and felt pretty great!  Then the episode on Christmas Eve; it made me feel just like the one from October in terms of the panic spiral. So I megadosed (for me) with xanax and propranolol all Christmas Day to cope.  And am now back to feeling the low level but constant panic feeling of dread and doom I just felt like I conquered.

That .0625 dose of xanax I took this morning didn't really do much, just took the edge off a little. It's still hard for me to tell if this is just plain old anxiety or the xanax. The only reason I have a hard time believing it's just anxiety is I don't have a lot of the main symptoms of anxiety; deep breathing, meditation, and cbt hasn't helped; and xanax makes it a bit better but doesn't make me feel like :) "aaaahhhhhh", just makes the feeling like I'm going to go crazy turn off.  In the throes of a terrible classic panic attack, xanax does make feel good. So there's that.

I'm sure this new dr will have lots of ideas...  None of my symptoms or what I've taken even makes linear sense to me, it's all a blur, so I don't see how it would make sense to you guys.  I'll do my best to keep my questions more topical and concise.

I guess I'm just wondering if small doses of xanax taken for several years, sometimes daily, sometimes weekly, or monthly, could cause what I'm feeling now.

This is just my opinion.

I think many people that take Xanax (such as yourself) get anxiety, and can get an overstimulated CNS due to stressors.

To me, the rate that you were taking it for several years does not sound like much of an issue.  You said that you could go months without taking it, so I don't think you were experiencing any tolerance issues at this point.  It sounds like you were only using it when there was stress causing anxiety.

You got sick at the start of October, and felt panic as one of your symptoms.  For people that are prone to overstimulation, getting sick can do that. It puts stress on your body, and it sounds like the Xanax helped calm this down. 

You took it for 3-4 weeks in a row at a small dose.  That is long enough to start developing some tolerance, where if you quit cold turkey you would feel WD side effects.  You properly identified this, and tapered off at a rate that seems reasonable for someone that was only on for 3-4 weeks. 

You said you started to feel better at this point.  Well, it sounds like your body was healing fine after your short term daily use, but wasn't completely healed leaving you  vulnerable to stress causing a panic attack with unsufficient GABA to calm your CNS down.

If you were feeling fine for 4 weeks leading up to Christmas day I think it sounds like your body was in the process of healing, and doing well. 

I do not want to give advice on what I think you should dose from here on. You've been feeling WD sfx for 3 days since this 1 dose on Christmas? It sounds like you were doing fine before Christmas, and you should get back to that soon-ish, and watch stress triggers for a bit after stopping. I imagine your Dr. would have some helpful advice on this issue.

your funny Benzy  well i shave part of mine but part is gone for good  lol yes my hair would be gray since i'm 53 lol well SOME ladies love the shaved look and obviously some don't  (mrs)  lol. but yes occasionally I have ladies rub my head  lol no i don't mind at all  you gave me a good laugh as usual !!

No offEnse taken here Mrs, we all different  :thumbsup:

I wish you weren't jealous of my looks tho, jus sayn :-\

I'm not sure where the thought came in about me and anti-shaved heads lol, but I'm cool with it either way :) All about a lil humor today, I could use some :)

hopeful, you ever have numbness in your fingertips? not tingling, just numb, just a little..

Ive had it on both hands, more towards the outside (little fingers) the last couple of days..

I did get hurt messing with that horse the other day and its been since then.. so I mighta messed up my back too, and that could be it. never had it bother me like that before while having back problems, though I have just had the tingling in one hand from back/nerve problems..

this is just numb, and in both hands...

anybody else?

Hi. On my phone so sorry for a short post. Yes! I had numbness while being on X and through the end of my taper. Only once post taper! It gets better.

HG

if you push yourself when you feel good... which most people do.. you'll feel it later, like the next day..did you do a lot while you felt "good"..?

learn to pace yourself while you feel good.. so you dont pay for it as much the next day....

if thats what you might have done...

if you push yourself when you feel good... which most people do.. you'll feel it later, like the next day..did you do a lot while you felt "good"..?

learn to pace yourself while you feel good.. so you dont pay for it as much the next day....

if thats what you might have done...

Not really in all honesty.  I've been trying to take it easy.  Just feel like crap all day.  I'm assuming it is one of those 'windows' people talk about, and I'm still feeling it since It's only been 6 days since my cut. I don't know... What I do know, is it really sucks.

Ya it does, it'll make a believer out of ya,,,, it's more the huge "disappointment" of it all that gets to me..

Yeah, that also sucks as well.  Definitely doing smaller cuts next time I think.

I've been trying to distract myself with tv shows, games, movies, etc... I guess that's all there really is to do. 

I don't understand how I could feel decent yesterday, and like crap today.  This is confusing when you are in the middle of it.

Same here,  feel almost normal one day, then totally like hell the next.  Recovery is not linear I guess.

and I'm choosing to believe you start to recover during your taper as you teach your brain to use it's native GABA capability.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [Ch...]
    • [El...]
    • [Le...]
    • [Sl...]
    • [On...]
    • [ke...]
    • [ge...]
    • [...]
    • [...]
    • [jo...]
    • [Lo...]