Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

XANAX Support Blog: If you're tapering Xanax/alprazolam, join in the discussion!

[mr...]

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Be...]

• [mr...]

• [Ra...]

• [VC...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Benzy

Just out of curiosity.  You were on 2mg of Xanax at night time right?  Did you start at that dose?  Or did you slowly increase to that dose?  And, if so, why were you increasing?

I went out of the house today to go to grab a new laptop at best buy, and supper.  Didn't really have any panic attacks, but was feeling a decent level of nervousness simply talking to people and being in a busy place.  Bleh.  Can't believe one .25mg reduction has me feeling that way.  Hopefully it lets up.  Seem to be a little better than yesterday.  I'm on day 5 of my cut, so maybe soon.... hopefully.  I'm wondering when I'm supposed to do my next cut though.  Is it when I feel 'normal', or when I stabalize at an 'acceptable' anxiety level?

Thank you Benzy.  LOL mrsalw

Sorry, I've had an absolutely hellish acute withdrawal for the past month.  I'm still in bed and scared to death.  I'm snapping at everyone except for my dogs.  At least with the cuts I would get a little relief for a few days.  But this 24/7 is hell on earth. 

Newbies, you should know that you probably won't be as bad as me.  But I do want my story out there in case you do have a severe taper.  I will heal and I know it.  As I get better and better I'll be able to really help those who are having the worst of times.  I've had nearly every symptom including partial seizures, so I will be able to talk you off the ledge, so to speak.

Most of you will not be anywhere near as severe as me.  Please take comfort in that.  I'll try not to throw anymore temper tantrums, mrsalw.  :laugh:

:smitten:

I like it when you get mad and fight back :tickedoff: To me it means withdrawal and Benzos will never win.  :oXo:

Blue :smitten:

That's so funny Blue!  I was just thinking that same thing today.  I know my stubbornness and anger have really propelled me in my taper.  I'm not going to be held hostage by a little pill. 

Babyrex, That  is awesome you are off.  Now you can heal.  It's scary symptoms may get bad but it helps to hear about what may happen in case  someone that is new to this is experiencing it.  It shows them it is normal and a process that is so different for everyone.  I can't wait to say I am off!

Monique

:thumbsup:

Mama  :smitten:

Babyrex, That  is awesome you are off.  Now you can heal.  It's scary symptoms may get bad but it helps to hear about what may happen in case  someone that is new to this is experiencing it.  It shows them it is normal and a process that is so different for everyone.  I can't wait to say I am off!

Monique

And you will get off Monique!  Just stick close by and really listen to the people in this thread. 

Sorry, I've had an absolutely hellish acute withdrawal for the past month.  I'm still in bed and scared to death.  I'm snapping at everyone except for my dogs.  At least with the cuts I would get a little relief for a few days.  But this 24/7 is hell on earth. 

Newbies, you should know that you probably won't be as bad as me.  But I do want my story out there in case you do have a severe taper.  I will heal and I know it.  As I get better and better I'll be able to really help those who are having the worst of times.  I've had nearly every symptom including partial seizures, so I will be able to talk you off the ledge, so to speak.

Most of you will not be anywhere near as severe as me.  Please take comfort in that.  I'll try not to throw anymore temper tantrums, mrsalw.  :laugh:

Hi BabyRex, I'm a newbie and your story does scare me.  Why do you think your sx are so bad?  Have them been bad all along even before you jumped?

Hi Rabbit,

Until about August my taper was pretty "normal".  3-5 days after a cut I would get slammed hard.  I would be bedridden for a few days and then things would gradually ease up, and this is how I knew I could cut again.  But from about September it became harder and harder for me to get back to baseline.  .25 mg and below was the worst.  I've been bedridden for months.

That being said, many of the people here had difficult but manageable tapers.  Many continue to work and go about their lives.  TrueSouth was a recent member, and he felt great in a matter of months.  So please don't  be afraid. 

To tell you the truth, I was absolutely ruthless with myself about cutting.  I never gave myself a break.  As soon as I felt just a tiny bit better I would, BAM, cut again.  The reason I did it this way was because I was terrified of stalling out.  You will see many posts of people that are unwilling to even take a small amount of pain; thus they reinstate to a point where they are "comfortable".  That thought just scared the heck out of me.  I wanted off, and this was the way I had to do it. 

Cut yourself some slack while you are tapering.  .0625 mg is a great place to start but you may have to slow it down and reduce your taper amount.  At some point you may have to switch to a titration- mrsalw is our resident expert.  Start off slow. Don't make this a race. Listen to your body and keep pushing forward no matter what.  And for God's sake don't reinstate when it gets rough.  If you start off slow and wait at least two week between cuts, you'll be able to do this. 

Oh my word, BEDRIDDEN!  I've just been there and can't go there again.  I have to be able to work, I don't know if I can do this. . .?

Oh my word, BEDRIDDEN!  I've just been there and can't go there again.  I have to be able to work, I don't know if I can do this. . .?

I have just been through a year of being unable to feed myself, dress myself, or shower with out assistance.  This will NOT happen to you if you do your taper correctly!  I obviously did not do this right and that is why it was so severe for me.

Question from a newbie.  I was pretty tolerant at 3.0 mg.    I cut from 3.0 to 2.5 in a month and went from 2.5 to 2.1 in Dec.  I did this by dry cutting .25 mg tablets.

I was pretty tolerant at 3.0.  I could barely feel it anymore. 

Is this too fast of a pace?  Yes I feel shitty, but about the same level of shitty I felt before.

any input? 

I have a cold...yuck!!!  I know it will go away, but when I am in the throes of it, I have a hard time remembering what it was like to feel good. I need to start moving  today. My body is stiff from laying around the past couple of days. 

Oh the humanity of it all. :tickedoff:

Blue  :sick:

Blue,

Sorry to hear that your feeling "YUCK" :-[  Colds can be the worst.  You just plain feel "AWFUL" all over your achy body.

What's the saying "feed a cold" "starve a fever"?

I just hope you feel like getting up and moving around a bit.  I know I always put clean sheets on my bed...get in the shower...and lay back down...lol.

Feel Better!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Hugs,

FluterByee :smitten:

Rebel Maven:  I moved this from the Chat to the Xanax Support Blog so others can follow this.

Okay, here I go again. Just not feeling right. Something is going on. I held my taper today.

I just got back from going to a larger town about 25 miles away. Had low level anxiety the whole time. I handled it, but even in my c/t I never had anxiety like this.

I don't feel too bad of a morning, but by afternoon I feel rotten, then a little better by evening.

This is exactly what is happening to me.  A predictable 24 hour cycle of feeling good in the AM and declining and by night it is the worst until I drug myself to sleep and then start the cycle all over again in the morning.

Plus, I have been feeling very sedated the last few days. Is it my liquid solution that I have been using to taper with? Is it the 5 ml of Vodka? Which means that I am drinking 1.25 ml with every dose. I HATE feeling sedated!! I have never liked it. Well, unless it is bedtime.

Again, this is exactly what is happening to me.  Alcohol intensifies this effect because when you first drink alcohol it is a stimulant but as you drink more of it or as it wears off is is a depressant.  Think about going out to the bar and how drinkers cycle in a given evening from first drinking and happy to slurring words and then to passing out or the body rejecting the alcohol and throwing it up in a defense to return to homeostasis.

Very important: Were you dosing once daily before you started the taper and now have you increased the dosing schedule by more times per day at a lesser amount than you were taking all at once or more frequently than you were taking it before the taper?

Is the Ativan turning paradoxical on me?

It is possible.  I am once again, going through the same thing.  Benzos can be hypnotic and cause hypomania at the same time.

So, is it time to think about a more rapid taper? Or, a different kind of taper?

Doesn't Rriver do her taper in water?  It will only be a suspension and not a solution but you will still get the drug if you handle it carefully.

Would love some input here? Please????

I am working to resolve this issue myself so let's work together and see what we can discover.

RM

Denise  :smitten:

Hey Rebel,

So, do you think that even the little tiny bit of alcohol is giving me problems? I may have to try just the water.

It is possible but keep reading.....

I was reinstated to .50 of Klonopin every twelve hours. But, the Klonopin caused me problems. So, I was put on .50 Ativan every 6 hours. So, I have bern dosing 4 times a day from the start.

So, what do you think?

Ativan's short half-life of 9–16 hours  Especially because you were on the Klonopin which has a half-life of 18-50 hours and would have been easier to withdraw from with a taper from Ativan instead of a switch to Ativan.  It is always better to taper off of a benzo with a longer half life so you were switched drugs backwards.  This alone may be the problem right there.

Have you ever taken Valium?

What were the problems you had on the Klonopin?

If you stay on the Ativan, because of the Klonopin being switched backwards it may require frequent dosing to stop interdose withdrawal symptoms.  But I think the switch from Klonopin to Ativan is the biggest issue here.

If you don't want to switch the Ativan then I would try not using the alcohol and using water but you will have to be careful and this will be a little more complex to do.  But totally worth it if it helps.

Denise  :smitten:

Btw, I am leaving to go to a family thing, and will be back in a few hours. Wish me luck!!  :-\

Good luck!

babyrex:

mrsalw:

bluebell:

I hope you all are feeling better. Wish I could do something for you. :)

flutterbye: Great to hear about your daughters!  You all are fortunate to have each other!

Everybody:

Good morning!

Rebel,

Let me brag, and share with you just how "AWESOME" my daughter's are.

They saved for two years to take a "Dancing with the Stars" Cruise.  Little did I know, they included me in on this adventure which is something We have NEVER done.  They wanted me to experience it with them. 

Unfortunately, I had to tell them I was not healthy enough to go along.  They were very understanding about it....disappointed, but understanding.  They leave January 4th and will be gone for 9-days.  I'm going to miss the heck out of them, but I hope they have an adventure of a lifetime.  I don't think I said...they are going to the Caribbean.

When "GOD" gave me these two girls He broke the mold.  They are truly the most wonderful daughter's a mom could ever have.  I am soooooo very proud of them.  They are the reason I live.

Hugs,

FluterByee :smitten:

Question from a newbie.  I was pretty tolerant at 3.0 mg.    I cut from 3.0 to 2.5 in a month and went from 2.5 to 2.1 in Dec.  I did this by dry cutting .25 mg tablets.

Is this too fast of a pace?  Yes I feel shitty, but about the same level of shitty I felt before.

any input?

Being on the 3.0mg and going to the 2.1mg should have taken about 4 months.  But everyone is different and some can go quicker and some can go slower.  If you are feeling like shit then you are tapering too fast and you should hold until you have been stabilized for a few weeks or even a month if you can, and then slow your taper down to a more comfortable level.

why you in such a good mood Weeza? run over a small child on the way to work this morning? :laugh:

Who or what the hell is Weeza? :laugh:

Okay Benzy...if your gonna quote Wezza your right it is Shirley McClain from "Steal Magnolias".  She's the grouchy old Louisianan woman who's just been in a really bad mood for years....lol.  Also, starting Sally Field, Olympia Dukakis, Julia Roberts, Dolly Parton, and Daryl Hannah.

If you need a good cry...watch the movie.

FB

Oh someone please tell me it's possible to hold down a 9 - 5 job while tapering :-\

Just my personal opinion is that if I were tapering while holding down a 9-5 job I'd be doing small cuts, and maybe getting an idea of when the WD symptoms come relative to the cuts and maybe trying to organize your schedule around that.  For example, if after a small cut you notice that you feel worse on the 4th and 5th day after a cut, but start getting back to normal on the 6th day after a cut then maybe you can try and aim those worse times for the weekend?

I know I was simply doing too much to be cutting.  Working full time while also still in school.  So, I just am focusing on school for the next few months.  But, I'm still going to try and 'aim' my bad days for days that I don't have to do something for school.  For example, if I have an exam or a presentation to do, I'll prob not do a cut 5 days before those. 

Oh someone please tell me it's possible to hold down a 9 - 5 job while tapering :-\

I certainly could not but then I could not walk either.  You are highly functional and going to do your taper correctly I hope and that should enable you to have a pretty normal life with the exception of a few breakthroughs that you may have to adjust for.

Lacey did an excellent job of answering you in her post.  I agree with her totally.

any input?

Being on the 3.0mg and going to the 2.1mg should have taken about 4 months.  But everyone is different and some can go quicker and some can go slower.  If you are feeling like shit then you are tapering too fast and you should hold until you have been stabilized for a few weeks or even a month if you can, and then slow your taper down to a more comfortable level.

I'm new to this.  But curious.  How is that too quick?

Ashton recommends 5-10% tapers every 1-2 weeks.  The rate that Jerryk is going seems to be well within that range.

Baby,

For me temper is part of it, and as I stated earlier I have not even begun my taper.

One of the reasons I want off this poison is because lots of times when I take it I feel worse and it causes me to snap.  It is causing extreme rage.

So, I wonder if I feel like this on the med's what the heck will I be like trying to come off of them?

Why do you think your taper was/is so horrific?  Did you c/t or taper to fast?

I would like to know your story....only when you feel up to telling it.

Baby...two things that terrify me are seizure and psychosis.  I watched my mom go through psychosis due to medication or I should say being c/t'ed off med's and it lasted 4 months.  It was by far the scariest thing I have witnessed.

I'm sorry you have had such a HELLISH time.  I truly hope you get some relief.  I take comfort where I can get it, but I also understand when you are deep in the pits...it's hard to imagine you will ever be whole again.

I am praying everyone here will be able to get me over/through my journey that lies ahead.

You are strong...you have made it this far...healing is taking place...and let's pray that soon you will be free of debilitating SX's.

Hugs...Your friend,

FluterByee

Rabbit,

I feel like pooh, I won't kid you.

But I've worked 40 hours per week, week in and week out, PLUS coach people part time for weight loss and nutrition, AND I'M STILL HERE :thumbsup:

Yes, you CAN work AND taper.  Breathe deeply and easily, friend :smitten:

Just take your taper SLOOOOOOOOWLY.  Don't be dumb and race off of it.  You'll then get yourself into a pinch where you cannot work.  Look at my signature line to see my speed: my daily dose was 0.25mg per day, and I've never went faster than 10% cuts every ten days (excepting these last two cuts), and then held for ten days.  It is recommended that you do no more than 5-10% cuts no more often than 10-14 days.  So consider your daily dosage, and be sure you don't cut more than this.

I am a Sensitive Sally so to speak, and this is why I choose to water taper at a gradual, daily reduction to accumulate my cuts.  I also dose every six hours, in order to make up for Xanax's 6-hour half life.  This has made it possible for me to remain as functional as possible.  This last glorious cut was almost 15% reduction over ten days, and the one before that was 12-13% reduction over ten days.  This is probably why I'm hurting right now.

Understand that it's not ALL science and logic, but a good portion of it is friend :thumbsup:  It don't have to be "ugly", if you're just willing to take your time with things. 

Okay, friend? :smitten:  RELAX-- :muscle: --Mrs says so! :laugh: :laugh: :P:D

any input?

Ashton recommends 5-10% tapers every 1-2 weeks.  The rate that Jerryk is going seems to be well within that range.

Not if he is having severe withdrawal symptoms.  Then he is going to have to listen to his body and adjust accordingly.  Or tolerate the withdrawal symptoms if he can do that and remain functional.  At that rate though, the cumulative withdrawal symptoms may worsen as the cut goes on.

It is up to him but, the withdrawal symptoms are doing more damage and will do even more if they increase in severity.

Baby,

For me temper is part of it, and as I stated earlier I have not even begun my taper.

One of the reasons I want off this poison is because lots of times when I take it I feel worse and it causes me to snap.  It is causing extreme rage.

So, I wonder if I feel like this on the med's what the heck will I be like trying to come off of them?

Baby...two things that terrify me are seizure and psychosis.  I watched my mom go through psychosis due to medication or I should say being c/t'ed off med's and it lasted 4 months.  It was by far the scariest thing I have witnessed.

I'm sorry you have had such a HELLISH time.  I truly hope you get some relief.  I take comfort where I can get it, but I also understand when you are deep in the pits...it's hard to imagine you will ever be whole again.

I am praying everyone here will be able to get me over/through my journey that lies ahead.

You are strong...you have made it this far...healing is taking place...and let's pray that soon you will be free of debilitating SX's.

Hugs...Your friend,

FluterByee

Thank you FB,

Rage has been an issue with me too.  I don't spend much time with my husband and this is for the best right now.  I dearly love him and he's been super supportive, but I don't want him on the receiving end.  I can tell you from experience that it should not get much worse, if at all. 

Sorry to hear about your mom.  What a horrible thing for you to have to witness.  Your withdrawal will be nothing like that, I can assure you.  I really feel for the c/t sufferers.  I have had partial seizures, but nothing even close to a grand mal.  And most never experience them at all.

I have no idea why my taper has been particularly painful.  I guess I'm just lucky that way!    :laugh:

why you in such a good mood Weeza? run over a small child on the way to work this morning? :laugh:

I still want to know which one of us he was referring to this morning as "Weeza".  :laugh:

His power nap must be turning in to a coma. :2funny:

any input?

Not if he is having severe withdrawal symptoms.  Then he is going to have to listen to his body and adjust accordingly.  Or tolerate the withdrawal symptoms if he can do that and remain functional.  At that rate though, the cumulative withdrawal symptoms may worsen as the cut goes on.

It is up to him but, the withdrawal symptoms are doing more damage and will do even more if they increase in severity.

If someone feels shitty before they start tapering, what choice is there?  I'm curious. 

It sounds like he feels the same as he did before he started the tapper. He felt shitty before the tapper, and feels the same level of shitty currently.  Would it only be a problem if you felt significantly worse than before you started tapering?

Baby,

Hugs...Your friend,

FluterByee

Thank you FB,

Rage has been an issue with me too.  I don't spend much time with my husband and this is for the best right now.  I dearly love him and he's been super supportive, but I don't want him on the receiving end.  I can tell you from experience that it should not get much worse, if at all. 

Sorry to hear about your mom.  What a horrible thing for you to have to witness.  Your withdrawal will be nothing like that, I can assure you.  I really feel for the c/t sufferers.  I have had partial seizures, but nothing even close to a grand mal.  And most never experience them at all.

I have no idea why my taper has been particularly painful.  I guess I'm just lucky that way!    :laugh:

BABY,

No pain, no gain: :pokey:

(just kidding, of course!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: )

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [...]
    • [...]
    • [Li...]
    • [Sl...]
    • [Sw...]
    • [Re...]
    • [Ne...]
    • [Le...]
    • [ca...]
    • [Ba...]
    • [jo...]