Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

XANAX Support Blog: If you're tapering Xanax/alprazolam, join in the discussion!

[mr...]

I wanted to join the discussion, but am not sure how this works or where the discussion is? I thought I was ready to quit at .25 per day, but in looking at everyones signatures, it looks like I am no where close. I will need some help on how to reduce the dosage. I have been cutting .50's in half to get the .25. How hard can it be just to quit after getting this dosage down so far?

So sorry to have missed this, zanny1.  You're here in the discussion, sometimes have to pipe up again, I'm afraid.  :)

No, please don't quit at .25.  I did that and brought on all sorts of nasty withdrawal symptoms I didn't have during my taper and it took a long, long time to recover from it.

Once you're at .25 it's best to cut the .25 tablet into fourths and toss one of the pieces.  Going to PM you with this link to the Xanax Support thread again.

Challis  :)

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Be...]

• [mr...]

• [Ra...]

• [VC...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello, I'm a newbie here, (posted this same info in the Introduction forum) have been taking Xanax 2mg at night for sleep for about 15 months.  Prior to that, I had been taking it for a couple of years on and off to sleep.  I think they were 1mg pills. 

Recently had a breakdown at work (severe anxiety) and haven't been working since then (Oct).  At that point (Oct) I had to add another 1mg in the afternoon to survive the anxiety. So total Xanax 3mg per day.

Now they've diagnosed me with bi-polar and I'm on Seroquel 100mg IR.  That's a whole other story as I think I have severe GAD, not bi-polar.

My doctor will want to start decreasing my Xanax soon and I'm concerned about how to do this given that my current doses are not equal and are not spaced out evenly.  He seems to think that 3 mgs isn't a large dose.  I don't know that my doctor would go for the valium crossover, although he might go for a klonopin crossover.  I think he will help me with long taper, at least I think he will.

My concerns are how do I do a klon crossover given that my doses are now 1mg Xanax at 3:00pm and 2mg at 8:30pm?

Could I conceivably keep my 3:00pm dose and nightly dose as they are currently scheduled and taper down from there or should I somehow try to even out the doses to space them more evenly during the day.  Currently I'm pretty stable with the way they are.

I'm scared to death to taper and I'm scared to stay on it too.  Any advice would be appreciated.  Thank you :)

Hi Rabbit11,

If you weren't bi-polar (or GAD) before Xanax you probably aren't now.  Xanax can cause these false diagnoses because of the tolerance and interdose withdrawals, which I'm going to make a guess is what's been going on.  We develop a tolerance to Xanax and need more in order to keep the withdrawal in check.  I'm again going to guess that's why you had to begin taking it during the day…. interdose withdrawal anxiety.

3mgs is a large enough dose to be very cautious about tapering correctly.  You can stay at the dosing schedule you're on and taper from those doses or you could even them out.  It's up to you and how you feel.

You can begin by taking probably as much as .25 from your evening dose.  .25 is less than 10% of your daily dose so it should be within the range of acceptable tapering.

Don't be scared.  You can do this and it's the right thing to do to get off of Xanax.  We'll help you through it.

Challis  :highfive:

Thanks for the response Challis.  I've had a breakdown at least once a year for the last 4 years which necessitated at least a week off work and my Mom is bipolar 1.  The mental health nurse practitioner  I saw once diagnosed me as bipolar and when I told my GP about it, he said he had been wondering about that because I'm also intolerant of SSRI/SNRI.  I still think I'm just a serious case of GAD. 

I don't think I'm going to start tapering until I'm back to work and stable there.  Want to tackle one thing at a time.  Thank goodness I've only had 1 panic attack several years ago.  It was the morning after I tried Paxil I think.

I just wanted to get in here and get some opinions of how this should work.  So you think you would leave the dose spacing as it currently is and start making cuts from there?

Thank you!

.0625 all the way, and I cheat a bit... when I divide the .25 into 1/4ths, inevitably they are a little different sizes, actually I do it on purpose too.... so I leave out the smallest piece first, then a larger one, then a larger one,,,, I ease into a full cut about the 4th or 5th night at a full .0615 cut....

works greaaaaaaaaat! Then I wait a full 14 days after that, then when I cut again I do the "cheat" thing again, so actually Im waiting about 3 weeks between full cuts.....

Ive seen over and over people doing large cuts in the beginning, no problem..

then they start having problems towards then end and have to go super slow and juggle the side effects, pretty good/bad side effects....

Im about to jump, and so far on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being the worst, my tapers rated at 9.5 so far, Id say, from the tapers I compare it to on here....

of course, theres still time for that to all change  :(

but so far so good Papi

then they start having problems towards then end and have to go super slow and juggle the side effects, pretty good/bad side effects....

A huge misunderstanding and then you realize it catches up with you in a few months and have to reinstate, maybe at a higher dose than you started to come off of, which may work if you are lucky, and then start all over again or just suffer in withdrawal which is very brain damaging.

I have done this three freaking times in my life and I can't believe what an idiot I was.  I should be dead or at least a vegetable by now.  I have been close to both too many times to count. I just didn't get it.  But I got it now, that's for sure.

Im about to jump, and so far on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being the worst, my tapers rated at 9.5 so far, Id say, from the tapers I compare it to on here....

of course, theres still time for that to all change  :(

but so far so good Papi

So you think the reason your sx have been low/good is because ALL your cuts have been tiny so to speak?  Thanks!

well, yes, as far as the cut/taper goes....

I had a LOt of coping skills already in place, from pre-existing anxiety/panic/depression, that helped a lot (although I realized I had never developed or used them until now, I had to learn to do that real quick)

and I had a full heart workup before tapering, which eased my mind a lot from the heart side effects many people experienced, as I have myself....

but ya, mostly the slow taper (Ashton based) and the .0625 cuts, thats what most do on this thread, its where I learned it  :thumbsup:

lots of successful jumps happen here.

I just got finished pressing my Wonder Woman cape myself.....

Challis thanked me for something, but I dunno what, I think shes confrused too..

yes she thanked you for something iwantotbefree wrote  lol she bumped a post for a buddie and challis thought it was you who did it lol

0625 all the way, and I cheat a bit... when I divide the .25 into 1/4ths, inevitably they are a little different sizes, actually I do it on purpose too.... so I leave out the smallest piece first, then a larger one, then a larger one,,,, I ease into a full cut about the 4th or 5th night at a full .0615 cut....

works greaaaaaaaaat! Then I wait a full 14 days after that, then when I cut again I do the "cheat" thing again, so actually Im waiting about 3 weeks between full cuts.....

hey Benzy great minds think alike. i have been doing the same thing with the pieces i cut !! lol the smaller ones out in the first week and then the bigger ones the second week.

Carita dear, are you out there too?

You are my sensitive low-dose, micro-taper buddie :) ...I could use a hollar from you!  At 0.06mg and **overcoming** anxiety, panic, heartrates, etc...did you have these issues too?  Have any of them lifted for you yet?  Or lessened?  No worries if they haven't or anything...was just looking for a little encouragement "in the moment" ;)

Hope all is well, girl -- love ya! :smitten:

Dear Mrs,

You are in a tough spot with your taper. I often think of your marathon post written months ago...we are in the last stretch and our bodies are shouting loudly! I am sorry it is so uncomfortable. Thanks for reaching out....yes, you and I are extra sensitive to cuts. Oh dear! It took me about 8 months to loose .25 mg of x. Remember I was also on valium and had already tapered gabapentin so my body was probably revolting from the combination of all three.

Anxiety was as a common state for me for many many months. It was both physical and mental. Panic was frequent, usually in the mornings. Arrhythmias came and went ( I had them prior to benzo use ). Anxiety would wax and wane but was with me most of the time. I stayed functional with the rate of the taper but never had a day I felt well....but I was able to participate in a very scaled down life. I think some of us just might have a more challenging time tapering, no matter how slow we go. We are symptomatic BUT can keep the real ugly stuff at bay with a very slow taper.

You have been one of the most dedicated and careful taperers. Your strength and positivity is admirable. You have held my hand many times. I believed I followed an appropriate taper....slow and symptom lead...but it still got rough. I did hold extra days and reduce the amount I cut, again trying to stay functional but make progress. I pulled out every trick in my bag of tricks to get through some days. They always did settle down a bit and with each period of calm I developed the courage to keep going. I read every success story I could find. I took devoted care of myself. I called on the strength of my friends here.

Yesterday I was 29 weeks off X and am now at 1.02 mg V. For time first time since I became tolerant and began tapering I had 6 mini windows ( 1 to 3 hours) in 7 days! Signs of healing! It was wonderful! I was positive, desirous, creative and felt CERTAIN this will have a positive outcome. Today isn't pleasant...but who knows...a break could be right around the corner. I am getting better!

On the V thread the well versed participants always suggest using symptoms as your guide. If its getting tough...hold a bit. Can you do that? What feels the best for you? For me it was to find the place I could function...the sweet spot. Unfortunately is was not often sweet...but it was manageable and I did it. You can too dear one. Put out your bag of tricks...this will pass. You are another day closer. Your nervous system is in a heightened state...it is uncomfortable but it will not hurt you.

Having some trouble expressing myself and staying on track. I hope these words are helpful. YOU ARE HEALING,

With love and friendship dear Mrs,

Carita

Carita and Mrsalw, I sure hope I'm not one of the super sensitive ones.  Your stories scare me.  I'm not very mentally or physically tough, I crumble pretty easily especially if I don't get sleep.  I applaud you both and hope I can follow in your footsteps to success.

well, yes, as far as the cut/taper goes....

I had a LOt of coping skills already in place, from pre-existing anxiety/panic/depression, that helped a lot (although I realized I had never developed or used them until now, I had to learn to do that real quick)

and I had a full heart workup before tapering, which eased my mind a lot from the heart side effects many people experienced, as I have myself....

but ya, mostly the slow taper (Ashton based) and the .0625 cuts, thats what most do on this thread, its where I learned it  :thumbsup:

lots of successful jumps happen here.

I just got finished pressing my Wonder Woman cape myself.....

Oh my it sounds like there is no such thing a 'symptom free' taper.  You had heart palps even with as slow as you went?!  UGH!!!

Oh my it sounds like there is no such thing a 'symptom free' taper.  You had heart palps even with as slow as you went?!  UGH!!!

No there is no magic taper that will not give you any symptoms.  You can however drastically reduce them by going very slowly and monitoring closely your reactions following your tapering.

Carita dear, are you out there too?

You are my sensitive low-dose, micro-taper buddie :) ...I could use a hollar from you!  At 0.06mg and **overcoming** anxiety, panic, heartrates, etc...did you have these issues too?  Have any of them lifted for you yet?  Or lessened?  No worries if they haven't or anything...was just looking for a little encouragement "in the moment" ;)

Hope all is well, girl -- love ya! :smitten:

Dear Mrs,

You are in a tough spot with your taper. I often think of your marathon post written months ago...we are in the last stretch and our bodies are shouting loudly! I am sorry it is so uncomfortable. Thanks for reaching out....yes, you and I are extra sensitive to cuts. Oh dear! It took me about 8 months to loose .25 mg of x. Remember I was also on valium and had already tapered gabapentin so my body was probably revolting from the combination of all three.

Anxiety was as a common state for me for many many months. It was both physical and mental. Panic was frequent, usually in the mornings. Arrhythmias came and went ( I had them prior to benzo use ). Anxiety would wax and wane but was with me most of the time. I stayed functional with the rate of the taper but never had a day I felt well....but I was able to participate in a very scaled down life. I think some of us just might have a more challenging time tapering, no matter how slow we go. We are symptomatic BUT can keep the real ugly stuff at bay with a very slow taper.

You have been one of the most dedicated and careful taperers. Your strength and positivity is admirable. You have held my hand many times. I believed I followed an appropriate taper....slow and symptom lead...but it still got rough. I did hold extra days and reduce the amount I cut, again trying to stay functional but make progress. I pulled out every trick in my bag of tricks to get through some days. They always did settle down a bit and with each period of calm I developed the courage to keep going. I read every success story I could find. I took devoted care of myself. I called on the strength of my friends here.

Yesterday I was 29 weeks off X and am now at 1.02 mg V. For time first time since I became tolerant and began tapering I had 6 mini windows ( 1 to 3 hours) in 7 days! Signs of healing! It was wonderful! I was positive, desirous, creative and felt CERTAIN this will have a positive outcome. Today isn't pleasant...but who knows...a break could be right around the corner. I am getting better!

On the V thread the well versed participants always suggest using symptoms as your guide. If its getting tough...hold a bit. Can you do that? What feels the best for you? For me it was to find the place I could function...the sweet spot. Unfortunately is was not often sweet...but it was manageable and I did it. You can too dear one. Put out your bag of tricks...this will pass. You are another day closer. Your nervous system is in a heightened state...it is uncomfortable but it will not hurt you.

Having some trouble expressing myself and staying on track. I hope these words are helpful. YOU ARE HEALING,

With love and friendship dear Mrs,

Carita 

"Devoted self-care" has been drumming in my ears, and I have been ON IT this time around to be sure I provide myself with it...thanks to you for coining the phrase, as this mantra has been so helpful the past few days/weeks...

I have a pattern of cutting 1mL per day for 10 days, and then holding for 10 days...I'll do this four times (so 80 days, 40 of which are cuts), and then I'll hold for 28 days, or an "extended hold" I call it.  I am now 4 days in to my extended hold.  The last cut was a 15% drop from my current dose, over the course of 10 days.  It was also my "monthly cycle".  So there should be no surprise on my end that things have felt this way, LOL.  But that tiny voice that says "you're in the low doses, it's not the med it's you"...you know how it goes, I'm sure.  That is why I'm here, reminding myself that it IS the med, and it WILL be worth it to get off.

Thank you for replying to me...your words comfort me so much.  It is so nice to know that I am not alone :smitten: 

No there is no magic taper that will not give you any symptoms.  You can however drastically reduce them by going very slowly and monitoring closely your reactions following your tapering.

Thank you for the encouragement. Even though I'm probably at least a couple of months away from starting a taper (gotta get back to work first), I wanted to see what I was up against.  I can only hope and pray my doc will agree with this strategy of a SLOW taper. :)

Carita and Mrsalw, I sure hope I'm not one of the super sensitive ones.  Your stories scare me.  I'm not very mentally or physically tough, I crumble pretty easily especially if I don't get sleep.  I applaud you both and hope I can follow in your footsteps to success.

Rabbit no worries.

I think the reason why I'm so sensitive is because I'd used the medication PRN (or, "as needed") for almost three years.  The only time I used it at a consistent dosage was beginning the month before I started my taper.  I believe that using it "PRN" is like a series of mini "cold-turkey" quittings, followed by mini "reinstatements", and therefore cause a much stronger sensitivity to the medication.  Many call it "kindling" here on BB :) 

Truly, even if it gets a little tough for you, you just take things a day at a time.  Slow down if you need to.  Part of the reason I am hitting a tougher spot in my taper is by choice--I have not slowed down at this point in my taper due to symptoms.  Please do not think make the assessment that just because I am having a hard time, this means you will too, okay?  It certainly does NOT mean this.  I know Challis and Charlie both had it EASIER towards the end of their taper.

Okay friend?  No worries, okay?  You're going to do GREAT, no matter what comes your way :)  You CAN do this!

Dear Rabbit,

Please do not be frightened. Remember many of the folks here are the toughest of cases. There are many more people who can taper with minimal symptoms. It is doable....no matter what arises you will be able to manage it. You will surprise yourself.

I apologize  for not welcoming all of the newcomers. This last week I have had some blocks of feeling well and have been fully enjoying time with my family. Then I have periods I am not clear minded enough to participate. It is all part of the healing process.

I welcome you Rabbit and the other new folks. You can do this. Keep coming here, read the positive success stories, learn skills to cope with mental and physical discomfort and believe in your strength. It is challenging but as the recovered folks say...it is worth every bit of effort and discomfort because life is wonderful without benzodiazepines.

Best to you Rabbit...you are moving in the right direction.

Warmly,

Carita

Thank you for the encouragement. Even though I'm probably at least a couple of months away from starting a taper (gotta get back to work first), I wanted to see what I was up against.  I can only hope and pray my doc will agree with this strategy of a SLOW taper. :)

My doctor does not agree with a slow taper so I just keep refilling the prescriptions and tapering on my own.  I have a bag full of bottles of prescriptions that I hope to never use.  Probably worth a fortune on the street but I'm not doing that!  :laugh:

Wabbit.... heart "palps", or whatever, are a common side effect, also I had pre-existing heart arrhythmias very bad..... but even with that, the withdrawal induced heart palps were very easily mananged in my case, so dont let that scare you......

Im sure theres a lot of people that have successfully  easy tapers, they dont come here, because they dont need the support, but even here, theres some with easy tapers, I would say Im one of them.......you could very well be too...

DONT ABSORB THE BAD STORIES....

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [ty...]
    • [Pi...]
    • [Ba...]
    • [Ch...]
    • [Re...]
    • [Li...]
    • [...]
    • [Gi...]
    • [bi...]
    • [SB...]