Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

XANAX Support Blog: If you're tapering Xanax/alprazolam, join in the discussion!

[mr...]

[ba...]

Right on. After reading what a lot of other have to say - I'll never be touching any type of benzo again after I jump. Does anyone use alcohol and cannabis (responsibly) to help with the PAWs? I smoke before bed which helps me sleep and I have a few beers when I get off work. I try not to drink to excess. Anyone do anything similar?

When I was on the benzo's I would drink a lot and it got to a point where I wouldn't black out anymore. I know that was a bad idea, I hope I didn't make the whole dependency worse by adding alcohol into the mix. During my taper I am only going to drink 3-4 hours after I take my daily dose.

I have no personal experience with using alcohol to treat anxiety, but I saw my mother do so for years. In the long run, it only made her worse. Maybe somebody with experience can chime in about reducing the alcohol next.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Be...]

• [mr...]

• [Ra...]

• [VC...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you Mrs!  Not sure what this means .  . .?

I think it's a good sign that you're going to be aaaiiight in the low doses, IMO

I had a bit of a scare this morning and was convinced my taper was going south on me, but hub convinced me otherwise and I'm sure he was right.  Within an hour, I was OK again.  It sure is scary when you start to think the taper is going haywire, YIKES!

Thank you so much for all of your support.  I'm SO happy things are going well for you!

Love, Bunny  :smitten:

I meant that, since you're feeling better & better the lower you go, its probably a good sign that you're going to be alright (aka: aaiiight!) in the low doses  :thumbsup:

What was your "scare"? (If you don't mind my asking!)

Mrs. :smitten:

Hi Mrs., well the scare was probably my fault.  I had to fly for work on Monday, just a day trip, but it was VERY turbulent and I'm not a good flyer anyway.  So on the flight back I had a glass of wine, then when I got home another glass of wine and then for dessert, melted dark choc in a coffee mug!  I know, I'm so bad!    Sure went to sleep feeling fine, but boy when I woke up about 5:00am, my body was trembling internally if you know what I mean, I felt weak, was taking those big deep breaths, my heart felt like it was beating hard and fast, and I was in the bathroom no less than about 5 times in a couple of hours.  Woke hub up and he said to lay down.  He got me a cup of chamomile tea and a banana and within an hour, I was fine again. I should say I was feeling sick on the day of the flight (had been up since midnight).  So I don't know if I actually had a bug, stress from flight and lack of sleep, not sure, but it was not fun.  Thank goodness that was my work from home day!  Now I'm on vacation for the next week and a half!!  Don't know if I've ever looked forward to a vaca this much!!

Hugs to you dear friend!!

Bunny

[ba...]

I started my xanax due to debilitating insomnia caused by what seemed to be cortisol rushes that would happen whenever I dozed off to sleep. I eventually was up to 1.5mg at bedtime and .25 mg late afternoon. I did not know then but know now that I was having interdose withdrawal every day for 3 months dues to the way the psych nurse told me to dose.

I finally found a psychiatrist who told me to spread my doses out evenly and then start to wean off. He prescribed 25-50mg seroquel at bedtime so I could sleep. So far, I have't taken it. I'm slowly moving my bedtime xanax dose over into my daytime doses. I feel so much better as I even out my doses.

I am changing the doses very very slowly in hopes of keeping my sleep and staying off the seroquel as long as possible. But I wonder if that is a mistake. It prolongs how long I will be on then xanax because I am very dependent on it for sleep. The psychiatrist wants me to start the seroquel and start the xanax taper now. I have the script. I told him I would start it, but I actually haven't. I see him Thursday.

I am very afraid of the seroquel. I want to wait until I stop sleeping to take it. But I wonder if I should really be more afraid of delaying getting off the xanax. Does that make sense? Anybody with any experience with using seroquel this way? Or any ideas about the dangerous side effects? I read lots of scary stuff. I had a terrible reaction to prozac many years ago and was debilitated by uncontrolled muscle movements that kept up for months after I stopped the prozac and still pop up when I am stressed. So I am very paranoid about drug reactions!

I've got my gemini scale now and I have 17 more days weighed out at .17mg/day. My plan is to go 7-14 more days at .17mg and then I'll cut down to .14mg/day. I'm very excited now that I have the scale.

edit: ALSO Congrats ozbear!

Today I jump......wish me luck! After 2 years of Xanax I will be free never to return to her deathly embrace.

Oz,

I don't think you are going to experience much of an issue. Good job!! No more Xanax!!

:highfive:

Today I jump......wish me luck! After 2 years of Xanax I will be free never to return to her deathly embrace.

Oz,

I don't think you are going to experience much of an issue. Good job!! No more Xanax!!

:highfive:

Thanks for the positive feedback. I just missed my second dose and am doing OK. A little anxiety, nausea and tiredness but definitely manageable. Feels wonderful to be living Xanax free! Oz

Congratulations Oz!  Please keep us posted as to how you are doing  :thumbsup:

Gardner - I'm one of the few peeps on this forum who uses Seroquel.  I was in acute w/d or interdose or something for 3 months.  It was horrific and I was unable to work.  Being the main breadwinner for our family, I had to do something.  I cannot take AD's, they drive me a bit over the edge.  My only option to stabilize (and sleep) was Seroquel.  I only take 75mg per night and it works well for me.  In addition to helping me sleep, it also squashed the anxiety in the day.  It will still crop up if I'm under a lot of stress, but generally day to day, the Seroquel has been a blessing.  I did NOT want to take it.  I'd read all the horror stories on the internet about it.  My doc assured me that side effects are dose dependent.  Our original plan was to get me up to a 'therapeudic dose' which is about 200mg.  We started at 100mg immediate release taken at bedtime.  That was too sedating, so I cut back to 75mg and have been on that for over a year.  My taper has been very uneventful compared to some on this forum.  I don't know if I'm one of the lucky ones or the Seroquel is helping with my w/d symptoms.  I have to believe it's the Seroquel, because without it, I was a complete mess.  Quivering, mind racing all over the place, stress puking, burning face, VERY little sleep and the list goes on.  So for me, the Seroquel has worked.  My doc was very surprised at the effect since I'm not at what the medical world would consider a 'therapeudic dose'.  But he is very happy for me.  Interestingly, my white blood cell count went down which I've read can occur.  I haven't been sick yet, so I don't know the significance of that.

So there's my story with Seroquel for what it's worth.

Good luck with your taper and please keep us posted with how it goes  :thumbsup:

I skipped my 2pm .17mg dose today and I'm tempted to try jumping.

Listen to how your body feels. If you're feeling OK then by all means continue with the jump. If you start to feel unwell then go back to your taper and don't feel like you've failed, instead see it as a learning experience. Good Luck Oz.

I'm feeling pretty damn good today! I cut again to .05mg last night before bed. I smoked a bowl of cannabis and took 1.2mg melatonin to help me sleep. Between one and two weeks until I jump  :) :) :)

I'm feeling pretty damn good today! I cut again to .05mg last night before bed. I smoked a bowl of cannabis and took 1.2mg melatonin to help me sleep. Between one and two weeks until I jump  :) :) :)

Great job TSO!!  :thumbsup:

Hey guys. Getting ready to make another cut tonight. My first cut was pretty big about a week and a half ago and been doing fine so far. Im thinking of going a little slower and cut .125mg Instead of .25mg. Any thoughts?

Hey guys. Getting ready to make another cut tonight. My first cut was pretty big about a week and a half ago and been doing fine so far. Im thinking of going a little slower and cut .125mg Instead of .25mg. Any thoughts?

I would probably cut a smaller amount since your total dose is now way less than last time. At your amount I was only doing .0625 cuts, but if you think you can manage a .125 cut then go for it. If its rough you will know to decrease the cuts. I am glad you are doing fine!

G

Thanks G! its so hard to make smaller cuts when the pills crumble so easy. Im sure my doses are slightly uneven :/

Anyway, im trying to not even think about what i "might feel" seems like its gets scarier as i get to a smaller dose, i hate my brain sometimes

I say go for it! If its too big of a cut, then you can always adjust. Let us know how it goes!

So I haven't checked in for awhile.  Since I had surgery I haven't been online much.  Most of the pain in my right leg is gone, so WHEW!  I was freaking out, because it was much worse than the pain for which I originally had surgery.  Doc said the nerves become seriously inflamed after being compressed as bad as they had been, and the pain shoots up and starts going back down after the 2nd-3rd week, so it would seem I'm right on target.  I also didn't have any problem with antibiotics affecting me or my taper, so that's good as well.

I made my last cut a couple of days ago, so I'm now I'm down to .0625mg.  I'm probably going to stay here for about 10 days.  Then I might eat a few smaller pieces for a few days before I jump.  eeeeeeeeee!  I can't wait to be done with this!  It's so close now!

Namaste.

~K      :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Thanks G! its so hard to make smaller cuts when the pills crumble so easy. Im sure my doses are slightly uneven :/

Anyway, im trying to not even think about what i "might feel" seems like its gets scarier as i get to a smaller dose, i hate my brain sometimes

Ya, I know. I don't think my .0625 mg cuts were always right, close probably. I had to use a razor blade and do a shave for the doses. I ended up throwing away some of the rest. It didn't matter bc I was going to be done and didn't need the leftovers!!!  :thumbsup:

I try not to worry about "what ifs" too. It doesn't do any good to worry.

:smitten:

I'm assuming you're using a miligram scale. The way I do mine is crush the pill (or section of the pill) on a plate or in a bowl. Then weigh 1/2 an empty gel cap and tare the scale so that it reads '0.000'. Then scoop a bit of power into the gel cap and weigh that until you get the desired amount. If anybody needs help with the math (percents and cross multiplying fractions) I can either show you how to do it or do it for you. Feel free to PM me.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [jo...]
    • [je...]
    • [de...]
    • [Li...]
    • [be...]
    • [Li...]
    • [ka...]
    • [Ho...]
    • [Fi...]
    • [...]
    • [Kr...]