Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

XANAX Support Blog: If you're tapering Xanax/alprazolam, join in the discussion!

[mr...]

mm i thought of something with the water taper use the whole 150ml to disolve a 0.0625 cut portion i can just drop a 5 ml every few weeks i  plan to get to 5ml or 10ml of water before my final jump i think this can minimize tinittus , that tinittus worryes me alot because ive had a history of seizures , i dont have epilepsy though i saw a neurologist the dr said i dont have it the tinittus just worrys me thinking i have a  siezure coming :(

You have described your seizure disorder as "pseudoseizures".  This is a psychiatric diagnosis rather than a neurological diagnosis, from what I understand.

Pseudoseizures, Evaluation & Treatment

It sounds really complicated Katie and due to a lot of behavioral influences.  I'm sorry you deal with this.  It must be scary to have a condition like this that little is known about and also that does not commonly respond to seizure meds.  :-\

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Be...]

• [mr...]

• [Ra...]

• [VC...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, lucky us.  And dumb me did not recognize symptoms of withdrawal that were hitting me YEARS prior to even starting my taper.  I'm embarrassed to say how many years I suffered, not knowing what the heck was wrong with me.  The body pain and migraine headaches were so debilitating that I spent months and months in bed with a pillow to block the light and heavy phone book on top of my head, only getting relief here and there for a few days at a time.  I often had 3 week migraines only to be slammed down with another one almost as soon as the previous one had ended all due to Xanax tolerance withdrawals.  All of this happened pre-taper so you can imagine, my taper was no picnic.

indeed but how were we to recognize the symptoms when the people we pay to know them did not?

My first clue came on a long drive. I would become so exhausted I would need to pull over and rest. One day I took a xanax and realized it woke me up instead of making me drowsy.  Later I realized that not only did it take away the extreme fatigue it fix EVERY condition I had!!! I was very puzzled. Still no doctor caught on.

Finally after dozens of doctors over 5-6 year and tons of tests I simply typed like 30 of the symptoms I was having all at once into Google. BAM!!!!!! page after page after page of benzo withdrawal links came up!!!

The one that really got me was the one that said after 72 hours hallucinations set in during a bad withdrawal. as i had never taken Xanax on a regular schedule i had previously noticed that on the 3d day of not taking benzo's indeed I had always started to hallucinate. You could set a clock by it. 72 house and hello to my colorful misshapen world. 

Even pre-taper I .....

No way I could make plans because I could not be counted on to make the plans

same

I had to begin tellecommuting from bed/sofa/deck [me who build a huge company with my own hard work]

yep, I had my own business and lost it all. My timing was terrible. I had prepared to live 6 months without an income, not 5 plus years!

it was in 08 and that was the credit debacle so I also lost my line of credit!!!!! for no reason other than all credit was called in.

My friends gave up on me [me who once had lot's of friends]

same

My family didn't know what to think

same

I almost gave up on myself too [i often felt, why continue living like this and considered permanent options]

Not I. I had sole responsibility of a 13 year old at the time so ... I needed to get better.

My taper gave me my dignity and my life back.

I never really tapered. I just switched to alcohol in replacement of the benzos and then just stopped the alcohol.

Recovery is a very slow process for someone like me, but I'm doing great compared to how I was before I started.

i am glad

I don't usually post much about my journey with Xanax and how hard it was, because I don't want to scare people.  But some people need to know what these drugs can do.  If I had it to do over again, I'd be scared to take this drug.  I believe these benzo drugs are dangerous and can potentially cost people their health and years of being productive in their lives.

agree but think stories like your and mine and put things in perspective. i also KNOW there are way to many folks here in discomfort handing out terrible advise because they mistake their discomfort for full blown benzo withdrawal.

More tough love is needed here. IMHO of course.

We made it to the other side Mentor.  We lived to tell the tale.  :thumbsup:

very true

If I knew then what I know now, would I have gone through withdrawal as i did? likely not. I lost too much. I know we are not supposed to say that but i lost a business, home, cars (a new one every year, Mercedes always two in the driveway) and it really was tough on my daughter.

She went from luxury to food stamps!!! Technically I did not qualify for food stamps which shocked me but I applied. Even though I was dirt poor for me, real poverty still was levels below. Amazing how little some people have. But that is off subject.

yeah, it's good to find someone who understands.

With all these posters here, still only few understand

lonesome it can be

i think i know the medication you talked about for withdrawal thats a anti-convulsant neurotin? or gabatron in generic? seizure drugs such as phenytoin i took was very horrible i could read a whole newspaper and not remember a single thing i read a few hours later

it also affected my intelligence i used to be really smart i was a genius when it came to writting now i write with poor punctuating , poor sentance structure and misspelling

i could maybe take the lowest possible dose of neurotin im currently taking just over the counter stuff to help me avoid seizures such as vitamins E , chamomille and eating a small clump of corriander (cilantro)

the seizures i had lately were caused by my faults either using computer or tv too long (  iwear sunglasses indoors now ) or i smoke too many cigarettes i cut back in smoking some afater my scare 2 days ago activating helps me alot so i use my treadmill or push a lawnmower outside an hour or so each week

its really depressing the condition i live in

200% agree and experienced everything Juliea and Mentor have....loss of home, life, job, body, mind, soul, and even my kid, ....miserable miserable pain every minute of every day...non functional to the point that my husband had to help me shower!

But....

no one can change until they want to no matter how much we want to scream and shake them. I have many friends on benzos and a mother who is going crazy on Ativan she has used for 30+ yrs now. She is becoming demented. But won't give up her Ativan.

We can only save ourselves really. And that is exactly what I am going to do!!!

God help the rest!

G

Yes, lucky us.  And dumb me did not recognize symptoms of withdrawal that were hitting me YEARS prior to even starting my taper.  I'm embarrassed to say how many years I suffered, not knowing what the heck was wrong with me.  The body pain and migraine headaches were so debilitating that I spent months and months in bed with a pillow to block the light and heavy phone book on top of my head, only getting relief here and there for a few days at a time.  I often had 3 week migraines only to be slammed down with another one almost as soon as the previous one had ended all due to Xanax tolerance withdrawals.  All of this happened pre-taper so you can imagine, my taper was no picnic.

indeed but how were we to recognize the symptoms when the people we pay to know them did not?

My first clue came on a long drive. I would become so exhausted I would need to pull over and rest. One day I took a xanax and realized it woke me up instead of making me drowsy.  Later I realized that not only did it take away the extreme fatigue it fix EVERY condition I had!!! I was very puzzled. Still no doctor caught on.

Finally after dozens of doctors over 5-6 year and tons of tests I simply typed like 30 of the symptoms I was having all at once into Google. BAM!!!!!! page after page after page of benzo withdrawal links came up!!!

The one that really got me was the one that said after 72 hours hallucinations set in during a bad withdrawal. as i had never taken Xanax on a regular schedule i had previously noticed that on the 3d day of not taking benzo's indeed I had always started to hallucinate. You could set a clock by it. 72 house and hello to my colorful misshapen world. 

Even pre-taper I .....

No way I could make plans because I could not be counted on to make the plans

same

I had to begin tellecommuting from bed/sofa/deck [me who build a huge company with my own hard work]

yep, I had my own business and lost it all. My timing was terrible. I had prepared to live 6 months without an income, not 5 plus years!

it was in 08 and that was the credit debacle so I also lost my line of credit!!!!! for no reason other than all credit was called in.

My friends gave up on me [me who once had lot's of friends]

same

My family didn't know what to think

same

I almost gave up on myself too [i often felt, why continue living like this and considered permanent options]

Not I. I had sole responsibility of a 13 year old at the time so ... I needed to get better.

My taper gave me my dignity and my life back.

I never really tapered. I just switched to alcohol in replacement of the benzos and then just stopped the alcohol.

Recovery is a very slow process for someone like me, but I'm doing great compared to how I was before I started.

i am glad

I don't usually post much about my journey with Xanax and how hard it was, because I don't want to scare people.  But some people need to know what these drugs can do.  If I had it to do over again, I'd be scared to take this drug.  I believe these benzo drugs are dangerous and can potentially cost people their health and years of being productive in their lives.

agree but think stories like your and mine and put things in perspective. i also KNOW there are way to many folks here in discomfort handing out terrible advise because they mistake their discomfort for full blown benzo withdrawal.

More tough love is needed here. IMHO of course.

We made it to the other side Mentor.  We lived to tell the tale.  :thumbsup:

very true

If I knew then what I know now, would I have gone through withdrawal as i did? likely not. I lost too much. I know we are not supposed to say that but i lost a business, home, cars (a new one every year, Mercedes always two in the driveway) and it really was tough on my daughter.

She went from luxury to food stamps!!! Technically I did not qualify for food stamps which shocked me but I applied. Even though I was dirt poor for me, real poverty still was levels below. Amazing how little some people have. But that is off subject.

yeah, it's good to find someone who understands.

With all these posters here, still only few understand

lonesome it can be

Hey Mentor,

Can you elaborate on the Alcohol as replacement for Benzo's a bit?

I uesd to drink and loved it. But I would get anxious the next day (now I know thats a symptom of Alcohol abuse) but I didn't think it was. Soooo, my lovely doctors gave me Xanax! And I've stopped drinking for almost the whole 7 months of my taper here, but sometimes I wish I could just have a vodka and ride out the Xanax WD's.

I don't care what they say, Xanax and Booze are DIFFERENT. I know it's all supposed to be Gaba but how come I can ( in the old days) drink for days and feel fine after stopping but I take Xanax for the same time and then stop and I'm a basket case?!

At least with Booze the ill effects GO AWAY.  This Xanax WD just keeps on coming...

And I'm doing it 'right" too. Slow taper , hold like 10 days or more , .0625 or less size cuts etc..

But before I got on BB I was going to do it like you said you did, just drink though it!

I'm almsot done now with my taper anyway, not saying I'm going back to Booze,but would like to hear more about how you felt drinking in place of the benzo.

Did it work on easing symptoms? Because when I did drink and take a benzo, I STILL felt the Benzo WD's! That's how I knew I was sick. I would take a stupid Xanax pill days before and forget about it , then 36 hours later I'd be on my second Vodka or something and WHAM! I'd get a panic anxiety attack. And I was like 'what the hell is this?".

Turns out it was Xanax WD. I just didn't know it yet.

Still the Booze didn't completely stop it. That's why I think they are NOT the same thing , booze and Benzos. If they were then why didn't my WD feeling totally go away after a few drinks. It didn't . They are not the same. Maybe it helped make it not as bad, but it was still there. That's how I found out I was sick from Benzos!

Anyway if you could elaborate a bit more that would be great!

Thanks!

I don't care what they say, Xanax and Booze are DIFFERENT. I know it's all supposed to be Gaba but how come I can ( in the old days) drink for days and feel fine after stopping but I take Xanax for the same time and then stop and I'm a basket case?!

Here is what you are missing. Benzo and alcohol sit on the same receptors BUT as bezno sits it "injuries" the receptors, alcohol does very very little damage.

It is the receptors healing that causes the withdrawal syndrome. (this is dumbed down and not wholly accurate but it conveys the idea)

I'm almsot done now with my taper anyway, not saying I'm going back to Booze,but would like to hear more about how you felt drinking in place of the benzo.

i was the same as if i took benzo  i had not started the healing (withdrawal) I had inter drink withdrawal just as I had inter does withdrawal with benzos.

Did it work on easing symptoms? Because when I did drink and take a benzo, I STILL felt the Benzo WD's! That's how I knew I was sick. I would take a stupid Xanax pill days before and forget about it , then 36 hours later I'd be on my second Vodka or something and WHAM! I'd get a panic anxiety attack. And I was like 'what the hell is this?".

If I was having inter-dose withdrawal and I took a drink it dissipated as if I had taken a benzo.

Still the Booze didn't completely stop it. That's why I think they are NOT the same thing , booze and Benzos. If they were then why didn't my WD feeling totally go away after a few drinks. It didn't . They are not the same. Maybe it helped make it not as bad, but it was still there. That's how I found out I was sick from Benzos!

After a few drinks my interdose withdrawal was gone. Totally gone? Nothing made interdose withdrawal  totally gone the 5 years of benzo use. Nothing. It was absolutely as effective as benzo though.

Example, at  a business meeting in Boston I started stumbling on the street like a drunk. I stumbled into a bar and had half a beer and BAM! fine again.  They were not gonna serve me!

Thanks Mentor.

Yeah, I see what you're saying. One ( Benzo) "injures" the receptors ( hopefully not permanently) the other ( booze) just temporarily messes with it then goes away. That seems right to me.

So a few drinks would take away your interdose withdrawals?  Just like a benzo?

The few times on my taper when I've had a glass of wine , sometimes it works then sometimes I feel like trouble is coming so I stop.

But maybe in order for alcohol to override any Benzo WD and 'work' you got to keep drinking until you really 'feel 'it.

Sometimes I'll test a little drink and nurse it and start to feel 'weird' so I stop. Maybe the way to do it ( if you do) is to pound a few shots or something!

I'm just so on the look out for any kind of 'odd' sensations in my mind that I don't want any trouble.

But it does seem to me like booze ( in moderation) could help ease suffering during benzo WD's,

But if you do, maybe you've got to keep drinking until it really kicks in in order to 'override' the benzo WD.

So, you drank to get off the Benzos , and then just worked to get off the booze?

I'd rather kick booze anyday then Benzos!

So, you drank to get off the Benzos , and then just worked to get off the booze?

NO!! Completely wrong. Using alcohol simple put off the horrific BENZO withdrawal. When I stopped drinking I entered BENZO withdrawal in all its glory.

NO!! Completely wrong. Using alcohol simple put off the horrific BENZO withdrawal. When I stopped drinking I entered BENZO withdrawal in all its glory.

Ok, I see. The alcohol just put off the Benzo withdrawal that was happening anyway.And when you stopped the drinking it all came back. Did you taper?

Hey guys. I need some advice. I've been prescribed Xanax for 6 years, ever since I was 13. Currently I'm prescribed 2mg twice daily as needed. I've been experiencing withdrawals in between doses that are getting worse and worse. If I go too long without a dose or run out I get what I think are partial and myoclonic seizures. These are terrifying because being Agoraphobic I'm normally alone, if they turn into grand mals they will most likely go unnoticed by others because of this.

My friend said I was addicted so I started taking quarter bars every few hours to show that I could control my intake. At first the quarters were doing fine for me but now I'm feeling really ill and anxious all the time. Can't sleep either, it is interfering with my job and I am unable to take care of myself or even eat.

I did something very dumb, though. I gave away a lot of my medicine to friends and family because I was sure I'd be fine taking quarters at first, but now they won't work like they did before and I'm running so low before my next refill. I'm pretty sure I'll run out before I get more. Has anyone ever gone cold turkey like this and if so did you find a way to combat the anxiety, tremors, insomnia, seizures, etc? I've gone cold turkey before and just toughed it out but considering my current health I'm really worried about a grand mal seizure developing this time.

I will let my doctor know of the side effects in between dosing next time I see him. I withdrew once after 4 years already and it was terrible, I had tremors for months. I'm scared to withdraw again. Would it be unwise to ask for a Benzo with a longer half-life? I'm conflicted between switching Benzo's and just tapering down, as I have PTSD, Agoraphobia, and Panic Disorder. During my first withdraw I was still shaky and anxious even after getting past the physical portion of it, so I believe they actually do help me as long as I take them properly.

Anyone have a similar experience that could give any advice? I'm not really sure what to do asides for talking to my doctor, but it could be awhile before he has another appointment open.

Ok so i feel like crap. I am so discouraged i was feeling so well but the last cut just blew my sx up. I had almost 0 sx a few weeks ago.

I went back up to .75 on Tuesday and i am still jittery ect. Hoping it will even out again? I dont want to stop i have to keep going but i Have to work and take care of my family.

Any suggestions? Smaller.cuts i was doing .625 and then i did 1/2 of that and it sucked :( i do not want to to do water titrate because i dont think i have time or would be sure it was done right. I just need the most easiest way to dry cut that will.calm my sx to make them managable.

Thank you all  :(

Marley,

Your wish to have the easiest syx that are manageable may not be the best way to approach this. Bc you may not get that wish and if you don't then what...are you going to just keep updosing, reinstating, start over? Your mind has to be on accepting the syx that come from this process and beat the urge to fix them by updosing. This really only prolongs the inevitable....having to go thru the wd syx in order to get to the other side of freedom!! Minimizing the syx is not in the cards for everyone, yes it may be possible for some by doing a slow taper but some of us are struggling every minute of every day with no break...yet we forge ahead bc the only way to get better is to get off! I honestly believe you have to make up your mind that you are going to stick to your plan and never look back....forward is the only direction regardless of the syx. That is my opinion only and the only way I could ever get free from this drug bc of the arsenal of awful syx I am plagued with everyday 24/7. Sorry to be so tough on you but you need to know there may not be a way to avoid the syx and if you want off bad enough you have to live thru them....it's the only way, IMO.

When I get to where you are ...I believe that is .75mg right? .....I will still be doing my dry cut. I will be subtracting/dry cutting .0625mg (that is 1/4 of a .25 pill) every 7-14 days. Plus I will still be taking the dose in 4 daily doses spread out as even as possible. Have you tried this?

Wishing you the best!

G

Oops Marley....looks like you have tried the .0625mg cuts and even half of that. Well hon, you may just have to stick it out the best you can. Like I said, accepting this is how you come off is key IMO. I will deal with whatever happens, any syx, all of it...just to be free. Bc being free is the only way to feel better. IMO. There is no magic way around it.

G

How do i make even doses? Over 4 times a day? I am going to cut .0625 again Sunday so how do i make the 4 times a day even.

Also i was sx free thats what i dont get but it is what it is i have dropped .25 so i am happy about thay. But i have to be bale to drive and be able to work. I cant stay at home or go to bed when i feel like crap so i have to get back on track and have a good solid plan i am on my own here dr says just do it however i want

I realize i will have sx but i am looking for any suggestions or experiences that habe worked for some to help ease them. I also realize it may work for some and not others.

Thank you foe your help amd suggestions

Ok, I see. The alcohol just put off the Benzo withdrawal that was happening anyway.And when you stopped the drinking it all came back. Did you taper?

I tapered the Xanax while I switched over to alcohol.

What I did was get down to the lowest dry dose I could, .125 if I recall properly. Then instead of taking it daily I took it every 2 days, then every three days. At that point I went to just alcohol.

Alcohol I did basically the same thing, I drank roughly every 3 days. The 3 day thing was because after 3 days I would start to hallucinate. 

So I was in constant inter-dose withdrawal but I could work because I was self employed.

So we are going to be moving back to our home town. My husband was offered a great opprotunity. We have lived in NC for 4.5 years he was in the Marine Corps.

My issue is this i am stressed out we have a month to rent our house and find a rental in PA.I will habe to find a new dr who will slow taper my xanax uhg. I just went back to .75 and i was hoping to stabilize and start cutting again but now i dont know what to do. ;(

Marley,

This is such a hard road.  I don't think I could manage a move right now.  Somehow you will find it in yourself to do it though.  We do the things we HAVE to do.  Yeah, finding a doc is a concern.  Could you possibly ask your doc if he has any connections to docs in your new town?  Maybe your current doc could write you some extra scripts to give you a little time to find a doc to help you?

Wonderful news about your hubby, but yeah, moving, OMGoodness!

Hugs,

Rabbit

Thank you for the advice, Not sure how that works if the scripts would be from NC and we are going to PA? But ya i think i will stay at this dose for now and start taper again when i get settled, I am freaking out and so much to do uhg

thank you take care :thumbsup:

im going to wait 2 days between doses i did that for the longest time i seemed to ber ok then its been 38 hours since my last dose i slept really well today still 7 hours

Just starting to plan a taper.  I need a little advice.  I have been taking .5 to 1 mg once daily for a little over a year, until I realized that all the weird anxiety and palpitations I was having were actually interdose withdrawal.  Now I am at .25 to .5 mg 4 times a day.  I am looking for a taper plan, but the ashton manual does not suggest anything for this low of a dose.  Any suggestions would be welcome.

Welcome nailbanger

The first step is to stabilize at a dose. It is too hard on your body to bounce around from .75 to 1 mg. Next step is to ask your MD for .25mg tablets. Then taper 1/4 th  of a .25mg tablet every 7 to 14 days.

Blue

Nailbanger,

I think I replied in another one of your post exactly what Bluebell said....at least you know there is consistency in our tapering plans  :thumbsup:

Glad you found the Xanax forum!!

Grinch

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [El...]
    • [bi...]
    • [Tr...]
    • [Ea...]
    • [Ki...]
    • [Li...]
    • [...]
    • [Fa...]
    • [En...]