Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

XANAX Support Blog: If you're tapering Xanax/alprazolam, join in the discussion!

[mr...]

So we are driving from NC to Delaware tomorrow and stayimg the night and coming back. All 3 kids and my husband and i in a car for 6 hrs both days.

I am not sure i will be able to not take a bit more xanax for these 2 days. I have a bad problem tellimg my husband how to drive all the way and to watch that car and there are breal lights ect.

Anyone have any suggestions for my little trip?  :o

Thank you all

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Be...]

• [mr...]

• [Ra...]

• [VC...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I just thought I'd post some thoughts:

I take Xanax because it calms me down and allows me to stop thinking about myself so much.

Hopefully I'll regain the ability to not need xanax as a crutch, but I dunno if this will

ever be true.  Just thought I'd throw that out there...

It takes a while to learn how to live a benzo free life. Believe in yourself and learn to take life one day at a time. I worried how I'd be able to handle "things" without Xanax as a crutch. When I narrowed my focus on just getting by for today, it helped immensely. Sure, we need to plan for the future, but today is all any of us really have.

Marley; I can't tell you what to do, but I can give you my thoughts and share my experiences. You've fought hard to get where you are today and I wouldn't give it up by up-dosing. Stay focused on where you want to be and how you're going to get there. Been there, done that, with the long road trip and two kids. For me, learning how to get along with everyone was a problem that was separate from my benzo problem. Try to draw a distinction between the two challenges and hang in there. Benzos do not solve problems, and life is full of problems.

Trust me... If I can do this, anyone can!

Do any of you ever get constantly changing reactions to the Xanax you take?

I find that, even my whittled down dose, sometimes sedates me...  Other times, it seems to stimulate me.    Sometimes when I feel my dose leave, I feel anxiety or agitation.  Other times, when the mistress Xanax leaves, I feel low....and maybe even body aches.

Sometimes when I take Xanax, I feel loopy and spacey....other times not. 

What gives?.

Hi JerryK,

I'm not sure why it does what it does, lol, but I do know it is common. I've experienced this as well before too. I am looking forward to being free soon, and then healed very soon after :) Take care,

Mrs. :smitten:

Hi Jerry,

Xanax never is stimulating for me, I hope it never does that.  That sounds terrible, but as Mrs. said, it is pretty common.  I too worry about how I will cope without my Xanax.  BUT, I think that Xanax made my anxiety worse over all.  I think that once I can break free from it and heal, I'll be able to handle things better like I did when I was younger.  I've never been great at stress, particularly BIG stress, my reaction is to usually just shut completely down and crash.

I'm counting on my faith to help me better cope after I'm done with Xanax.

Healing thoughts coming your way  :smitten:

Rabbit

I honestly have never thought of being without Xanax. I am very grateful I don't have that crutch. I am grateful it has no benefits for me. Just the opposite, I worry about being on it and just want to get to the finish line of taking zero!

So over this crap!

:tickedoff:

hi grinch i saw your signature i was like wow when i saw you cut your  large xanax dose in half in 5 months !! keep up the good work i hope your able to quit that stuff soon

Do you guys notice increased ruminations (worry) as a result of cutting or interdose?  Just curious what that feels like for you...  Thanks Jerry

With as low of a dose as I'm at now, I do not feel cuts anymore :) (So there is an end to the cutting effecting how you feel, hooray!) But I have experienced the symptom you refer to, Jer :) It is common, for sure! My apologies for a short message, as I am at work :) Take care buddy,

Anyone feel this?

A slow cycling to your taper?  Sedated or depressed for a while...maybe a couple days it is prominent.  Anxious or excessive ruminating for a while...  Agitated for a few days,  this is the over stimulated type agitation.    Rinse repeat.  I'm sure my doc will think I'm rapid cycling and want to medicate it....

j

Jerry, I don't feel this way anymore, but there was a timeframe in my taper where I sure did. Over the course of about 36 hours, I'd slowly transition from fatigued/bummed/tired to feeling better to almost a window to a full window & feeling uuber productive, like I had to find something productive to do/think about Lol, then it'd move into an anxious productive energy, then I'd have a challenge falling asleep Lol. Then it would slowly move back to fatigued/bummed/tired :P I'm not just trying to respond to all your posts lol, Jerry; I've just experienced some of the things you mention :)

I hope your day is going great :) Take care,

Babyangel,

That is so interesting that you say that because I feel like I should be DONE TAPERING given its been 5 months! My brain just wants off! PERIOD!  It doesn't want to take the 4 doses a day anymore, it doesn't want to deal with it anymore, it just wants off!! Every time I have to take a dose I cringe and feel like a failure bc I am still on it putting it in my body having it affect my brain. No matter how far I have come, if I am still taking it, I am failing. That is just the way my brain thinks of this nasty crap! I was on a high dose of 6 mg at one time and it really did nothing for me...I took at night for insomnia only. I know other people take .25mg or less and this dose knocks them out or/and they have a huge struggle coming off just that much. My body just seems to be immune to smaller doses and  any dose right now for any positive benefits. I take it 4xday to ward off interdose while I taper. I am hoping that the fact the smaller doses did nothing for me, when I get to 1 mg and under I won't have the syx with a cut. I guess only time will tell. When I get to 2 mg I will still have months and months to go to taper at a reasonable rate so total taper time will still be 8+ months, which is insane in my mind! But I will try my best to keep the tapering as "healthy" as possible and reasonable....this is my biggest crutch!  :sick:

Hi! I just wanted to stop in and say that I'm new to this forum. Today marks the beginning of my journey to get off this drug once and for all. I have decided to taper down from 2mg. My psychiatrist wants me to start off by just taking 2 mg for a month and then go from there. I'm not completely convinced that this is the right plan- but I'm willing to try anything at this point- given it's safe. Does anyone have similar experiences tapering from 2mg?/how long did it take you?

This seems like a wonderful, supportive and inspiring community. You can read more about my story here: http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=111037.0

I look forward to talking with everyone!

Take care  :smitten::)

Hi! I just wanted to stop in and say that I'm new to this forum. Today marks the beginning of my journey to get off this drug once and for all. I have decided to taper down from 2mg. My psychiatrist wants me to start off by just taking 2 mg for a month and then go from there. I'm not completely convinced that this is the right plan- but I'm willing to try anything at this point- given it's safe. Does anyone have similar experiences tapering from 2mg?/how long did it take you?

This seems like a wonderful, supportive and inspiring community. You can read more about my story here: http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=111037.0

I look forward to talking with everyone!

Take care  :smitten::)

Hi freeandheal.  Welcome to the Xanax Blog.  When you get a chance, please complete a signature.  This will help us, help you.  I gave you instructions on how to do this in my welcome in your Intro thread.

My taper from 3mg took 9 months and I believe my taper from 2mg to zero took about 8 months.  But we are all very different in how long the process of tapering takes.  My taper was actually fairly fast by this boards standards. 

I'm interested to know what your highest dose was, how you tapered to get to 2mg and what your withdrawal symptoms have been so far.

Good luck to you!

There is a link to my taper schedule in my signature, if you'd like to take a look.  :)

My doc has sounded positively when I asked him aBout a potential switch to Valium.  I might just do it next week.

After 14 days at 0.25mg today I finally feel positive, less jittery, mind sl clearer, maybe I will make it through this. Plan to wait one more week and the taper by 0.0625 every 9-10 days depending on symptoms. Thanks to everyone, esp juliea, who has helped me through this.

My doc has sounded positively when I asked him aBout a potential switch to Valium.  I might just do it next week.

Sounds good to consider this, especially since you don't seem to be able to get your interdose wd under control, Jerry.  Remember, if you decide to do this, a crossover is done in stages, not abruptly all at one time.  :thumbsup:

After 14 days at 0.25mg today I finally feel positive, less jittery, mind sl clearer, maybe I will make it through this. Plan to wait one more week and the taper by 0.0625 every 9-10 days depending on symptoms. Thanks to everyone, esp juliea, who has helped me through this.

You are welcome Sally C.  You're gonna beat this!  :thumbsup:

Jerry,

...  Good to hear your Doctor is onboard with switching over.

Stay strong, you're doing it.

Notforme :angel:

Hi Juliea,

Thanks for the post on my blog!

We did it, and that my friend feels good to say.

Never give up, fellow Xanax Tapering BB.

..........Nfm :smitten:

freeandheal said:  I have decided to taper down from 2mg. My psychiatrist wants me to start off by just taking 2 mg for a month and then go from there.

freeandheal, thank you for completing a signature.  I can see how you got to 2mg now, but I can't see from your signature how long you have been at this dose.

Ok, you made a substantial drop, going from 2.5mg to 2mg.  This is a 20% drop.  For the first several dose reductions, the general recommendation is no more than 5-10%. 

When I tapered down from 2.5 to 2, I made the transition in .25mg steps.  Even my .25mg dose reductions brought on some significant symptoms.  A .50mg drop might bring on some difficult symptoms for you.  However, this being said, some folks can 'get by' with these types of reductions because they aren't as sensitive to the drops as others.

Please check back in with us and let us know how long you've been at 2mg.  Also, please let us know how you are feeling after making this drop.

When doing a benzo taper, it is often best to make smaller drops more often, than a huge drop monthly.  This appears to be what your doctor has planned for you.  A pretty large monthly drop.  You might wish to reevaluate this so that you can step off of the Xanax in a more gentle fashion.

Take care.  :smitten:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [De...]
    • [En...]
    • [Sh...]
    • [jo...]
    • [My...]
    • [ca...]
    • [...]
    • [...]
    • [le...]
    • [No...]