Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

XANAX Support Blog: If you're tapering Xanax/alprazolam, join in the discussion!

[mr...]

Hi BB's

Thought I'd ask all of you. I dose three times a day.I'm on Xanax and it's really low. I'm close to the end and my Symptoms are not too bad anymore. Mainly physical. But I'm ready to cut again but I'm wondering does it matter what dose we cut? If you cut a particular dose one time , should you feel the symptoms right away during that moment?Or is it all a wash? Does your body just take all of the drug it was given over that 24 hours ( no mater when it was) and just add it up?

In other words, if you cut , say your 10pm dose, your not going to feel worse at 11pm are you?

I think it may just come out when ever it does later on, like 12 hours later.

I'm only talking about us being at low doses now.

Because I am trying to find what to cut next.

I'm at Morning 20grams/Mid 10 grams/Night 30 grams. All of my cuts are 10 grams a cut.

So, I could either cut 10 grams from my night and make it 20Grams. But I have to go 15 hours between doses for that and sleep too. That's my longest hold.

Or I could drop the mid cut? I'd like to do that, but I don't know if I should drop a dose just yet? Maybe I should keep going all down the line? Though it would be easier and it's already a small dose.

Or I could cut the first dose down to 10 grams and keep the second at 10 grams too. That way , if there is any trouble, I've still got two doses after it.

That's why I wish I knew if WHEN you cut makes a difference or is it all just in the mix?  And it 's not about the time of day dose you cut, your gonna feel it whenever?

Anybody asked a doctor about this?

Thanks guys

We  are all physiologically different in regards to medications. How they affect us, how to taper

them, and how your experience may or may not be. No one person can give you a "definite"

timeline on how you will respond to your taper.

That stated, I do know that keeping your taper on schedule, ie: take at the same time, amount

of reduction, how you are tapering and what you are tapering all have an effect on sxs IMO.

Xanax is a "short acting" benzo. 6-12 hours depending on how your body metabolizes meds.

I metabolize Xanax (and all meds) rapidly. In a 24 hour day, I had to dose every 2-3 hours.

I did a dry cut taper, using .0625mg compounded Xanax capsules, spread throughout

I then "alternated" my dose reductions, consistently. Noon, PM and AM last. I kept to this

system throughout my taper. No up dosing, nor switching amounts throughout the day.

IMO, I know that my body responded to the same dose, at the same time with the same

dose reduction(s).

IMO, being consistent with your tapering, adhering to your time, dose and cut amount alternating

the times, will give you, JACD an indication of where you need to be as finish your

taper off of Xanax.

Best of luck to you, JACD

Notforme

Thanks NotForMe!

I am pretty consistent all the way.Same times, same rotation of dose reductions etc.

The only thing is I now am at a point when I could drop a dose completely. However, I still could cut from two of my other doses ( I dose three times a day) and not drop a dose just yet.

I guess I'm asking advice on dropping a dose.Did anybody really feel a big change when they dropped a dose?

I want to do it ( and wil have to eventually anyway) but , like I said, I still have room to cut from two other doses.And I don't know if it's 'safe' to make another cut AND completely drop the dose at the same time?But that's what would be happening if I followed my regular dosing/cutting plan.

Otherwise, I could keep all three doses . just make the others smaller. That way my pattern is the same and I'm still on three doses. They would just be a smaller amount. But I would rather just get rid of one of the doses. But is that safe to do both at the same time? Drop and cut? Or cutting by dropping?

Any ideas?

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Be...]

• [mr...]

• [Ra...]

• [VC...]

Top Posters In This Topic

JACD,

For me, I had issues with interdose withdrawal. This means that, after 3-5 hours, I would feel some symptoms of withdrawal. So, for me, I have chosen to keep all four of my doses until almost zero. Juliea, another buddy on here, did not have any interdose issues. So she actually only ever took one dose per day and tapered it all the way to zero :)

For you, it will be a personal choice/preference also :) If you know you do have some interdose withdrawal, than it might be an option to keep your three doses as long as you can. If you do not have any interdose issues, than the option of either cutting out a dose entirely or keeping all three and removing from another might be fine either way :) Of course, you decide what you feel is best for you :) Either way, I'm sure you'll do great :)

Take care,

Mrs. :smitten:

Hi all,

I'm still pretty high in my dose, but have managed to drop .5mg at this point from 3mg to 2.5mg with few symptoms.  I do find that with stress I get shakey (my hands).  I'm doing pretty well as I am able to work.  My job is pretty stressful, so that doesn't help.  I'm very happy to have made it this far.  I continue to cut .0625mg every 14 days (Juliea style as I call it) and hope I can do this all the way down.  I struggle with depression and lack of motivation, but keep on going every day.  Some days are better than others.  I only dose twice per day and don't have any interdose w/d yet that I can tell.  I will keep a close eye on it.  My plan is to get my nighttime dose equal to my day time dose if I can and then ping pong the cuts back and forth between the doses. 

Jenn, I'm sorry to hear that you're having some symptoms now.  You were doing so well.  Hang in there honey, this uptick in symptoms seems to be a normal part of recovery.  I'm not very strong when it comes to withstanding symptoms if they are triggered by situational stress.  In your case, I assume it's symptoms related to brain recovery or do you have some stress playing a role?  Keep posting honey so we can trade support and advice.

VC - I'm SO glad to hear your sleep is under control.  You struggled with that for so long.  How long are you able to sleep now?  How much mag glycinate do you take?  I take a modest 200mg in the morning and 200mg at night.  I've also increased my Vit D to 3000IU per day.  Hugs sis  :smitten:

Synaps, how are you doing? :smitten:

Mrs. - I'm so glad to see you so low in dose and that your doc is so accommodating in helping you get your work schedule worked out.  Oh how I wish I could work 20 hours per week.  :smitten:

Dear Carita - good to see you on the board, how are you feeling honey?  How is the move going?  I imagine you are pretty busy with that.  Hugs to you  :smitten:

Juliea, thank you for your seemingly never ending support of those of us who are still tapering.  It truly does give us all hope that we can recover and do well like you.  :smitten:

Hoping everyone is having an OK day  :smitten:

JACD,

For me, I had issues with interdose withdrawal. This means that, after 3-5 hours, I would feel some symptoms of withdrawal. So, for me, I have chosen to keep all four of my doses until almost zero. Juliea, another buddy on here, did not have any interdose issues. So she actually only ever took one dose per day and tapered it all the way to zero :)

For you, it will be a personal choice/preference also :) If you know you do have some interdose withdrawal, than it might be an option to keep your three doses as long as you can. If you do not have any interdose issues, than the option of either cutting out a dose entirely or keeping all three and removing from another might be fine either way :) Of course, you decide what you feel is best for you :) Either way, I'm sure you'll do great :)

Take care,

Thanks Mrs.

Glad your doing good too!

Yeah I don't know , I'll probably keep all three doses going, just make them smaller.

I only got inter-dose WD's when I started breaking it up!! I created my inter-dose WD. I used to only dose once a day......should have just tapered from that...not ADDED more doses.

Rabbit, that's funny that you call tapering the .0625, "Juliea's style".  I called it tapering ala Charlie, because Charlie told me about it and Challis drummed it home.  We each seem to have a way of picking up the gavel that was passed to us by the buddies who have helped us along in this journey.

Congratulations on cutting out .50mg!!! That's fantastic.  Well done, girlie girl!!  :thumbsup:

:smitten:

Rabbit, that's funny that you call tapering the .0625, "Juliea's style".  I called it tapering ala Charlie, because Charlie told me about it and Challis drummed it home.  We each seem to have a way of picking up the gavel that was passed to us by the buddies who have helped us along in this journey.

Congratulations on cutting out .50mg!!! That's fantastic.  Well done, girlie girl!!  :thumbsup:

Thank you Juliea!  I just hope I can follow in your, Charlie and Challis' footsteps all the say to the bottom AND remain functional  :smitten:

Can u relate to this?

Xanax Crazy Train

So I'm riding this Xanax Crazy Train still.  It goes like this.

I do sleep, but I wake up in the morning,  feeling like Hell, depressed

Anxious, feel like I'm going crazy...  Because it's been 6-7 hours since my last dose.

I take a morning Xanax and I feel a bit better, a better grade of shitty.

Then fours on the nose, I start craving another dose...start feeling like

I'm going crazy again...  Take my mid-day dose...

Usually I can go 5 hours in the afternoon, before taking a dose around

5 pm.  Evenings are typically better, because I've had three doses of X.

Sometimes I almost feel normal in the evening....sometimes I feel kinda bad.

I take Xanax about 11PM at bedtime...next day rinse and repeat.

I don't feel like myself anymore...I'm so up and down on this shit..

It's a yo-yo from hell.  AND I'm much better than I was!

Is switching to Valium what I should do?  At least get stable before I try to reduce some more?  Thoughts...Am I alone in feeling this way??

VC - I'm SO glad to hear your sleep is under control.  You struggled with that for so long.  How long are you able to sleep now?  How much mag glycinate do you take?  I take a modest 200mg in the morning and 200mg at night.  I've also increased my Vit D to 3000IU per day.  Hugs sis  :smitten:

Hey again, Rabbit! I was just admiring your taper progress...then found your note to me. THanks for asking! I'm too afraid to say my sleep is "under control," but it's definitely improving. I take 600mg mag glycinate orally, but also use mag cream and Epsom salts baths as transdermal routes. I also use mineral drops in my bottled water that has a little mag in it. Another nice help has been organic tart cherry juice. Last night I slept 8 1/2 hours! It may have been more about sheer exhaustion, though, because a couple other nights were kinda dicey with sleep. Usually I average about 6 and I can live with that. Sometimes it's less if there's a lot of stress and/or the cuts pile up. I just hold my L/T and it eventually irons out.

Good to hear from you, sis.

Love,

JACD:

EXAMPLE ONLY FOR TAPERING XANAX USING .0625MG DOSE REDUCTIONS

Alternating Dose Reductions of .0625mg as follows: Starting with 1 mg, spreading out

the doses accordingly.

Beginning Dose   Remaining Dose after cut

1.00 mg = 6am  .125 - .0625mg    .0625  reduction #8

8am  .125  - .0625mg    .0625  reduction # 2

10am  .125 - .0625mg    .0625  reduction  #4

Noon    .125 - .0625mg    .0625  Reduction #1

2pm    .125 - .0625mg    .0625  reduction # 6

4pm    .125 - .0625mg    .0625  reduction # 3

6pm    .125 - .0625mg    .0625  reduction #5

8pm    .125 - .0625mg    .0625  reduction # 7

Alternating your reductions  between middle of the day (noon) then PM then AM, back and forth.

Every 14 days. Holds when necessary.

As your taper gets lower in dose(s)  spread out doses evenly. IMO

Keeping in tune with your body, how you feel, being consistent with all aspects of your taper

is very important.

My last dose was 8 am, and I did fine.

This is just an example of how one could dry taper off of Xanax

Hope this helps Someone.

NFM

Hey, JACD!!  ;D Great to see you on the Xanax Blog today!!  These folks know their Xanax.  :thumbsup:

Thanks Juliea!

Yeah, I'm steppin out!

Hey, (((Notforme))).  Newer buddies:  Notforme and I tapered together.  We both kicked Xanax to the curb.  :socool:

Great to see you today, Notforme.  Thanks for posting your info about dosing.  :mybuddy:

Love,  :smitten:

Juliea

JACD:

Alternating Dose Reductions of .0625mg as follows: Starting with 1 mg, spreading out

the doses accordingly.

Alternating your reductions  between middle of the day (noon) then PM then AM, back and forth.

Keeping in tune with your body, how you feel, being consistent with all aspects of your taper

is very important.

Hope this helps Someone.

NFM

Thanks NFM!

Hmm, this could help get me off the yo yo...

JACD:

the doses accordingly.

is very important.

Hope this helps Someone.

NFM

Hi ((((((((((((((((((((((((((((JULIEA)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Those were the days ~ when all I had were YOU and this thread. Thank you, Juliea for always

being a voice of Help and Hope on some of my darkest hours.

Great to be part of this thread. Glad to help when I can.

Thank you, Juliea for all you do. Your one special lady.  :hug:

This could help me...thanks..

JACD:

the doses accordingly.

is very important.

Hope this helps Someone.

NFM

Hi ((((((((((((((((((((((((((((JULIEA)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Those were the days ~ when all I had were YOU and this thread. Thank you, Juliea for always

being a voice of Help and Hope on some of my darkest hours.

Great to be part of this thread. Glad to help when I can.

Thank you, Juliea for all you do. Your one special lady.  :hug:

"Xanax.  The gift that keeps on giving" -notforme, 2012  ;D

Those were the days ..................  ::)

But they are behind us now and everyone on this blog can achieve what we did, if they just set their minds to do so.  :thumbsup:

Jerryk, I was just reading your post.  How did that last large cut effect you?

I'm still on a yo yo...

:nono:  to Yoyo'ing during a taper.  It confuses our CNS.  Take the stairs Jerry, the stairs. 

i've been on a yo yo since I started Xanax.  It is what makes me so non functional.

I an intrigued by the 8 x dosing schedule that was just posted...I wonder if it would help me?

Sedated to wired, every 4 hours...yes my CNS is confused...

Hi JerryK,

For the majority of my taper, I was very grateful to have remained on xanax to taper from. Spreading my doses to four times per day, every six hours was sufficient for me. Now that I am in the lower doses, I have pondered if it would've been easier for me with a longer acting benzo. But, I will finish this race with the drug I began with nonetheless :) Its hard to say what your experiences will pan out to be, Jerry. Some seem to stabilize and have a much smoother ride with a longer acting benzo. Others find they are unable to cross over smoothly. I chose not to because I was so sensitive to xanax, I was unwilling to "rock the boat" and destabilize once I had finally stabilized on xanax. For you it may be different -- if you are not stable, then I understand your considering a crossover :) The decision is, of course, up to you :) I'm sure whatever path you choose, you'll do great :) Take care Jer,

i've been on a yo yo since I started Xanax.  It is what makes me so non functional.

I an intrigued by the 8 x dosing schedule that was just posted...I wonder if it would help me?

Sedated to wired, every 4 hours...yes my CNS is confused...

If I remember correctly, I told you that I thought you had one of the worst cases of interdose withdrawal I'd ever seen here.  I'd expect dosing more often might really help you, Jerry.  I'd give it a try if I were in your shoes.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [Tr...]
    • [No...]
    • [Ma...]
    • [hu...]
    • [SB...]
    • [fr...]
    • [je...]
    • [...]
    • [Sh...]
    • [En...]
    • [Jo...]