Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

XANAX Support Blog: If you're tapering Xanax/alprazolam, join in the discussion!

[mr...]

Looking for any suggestions. I am down to .75mg from 1mg and I am holding a bit since my last cut was a bit rough i am trying to get things back in order before i cut again. I am looking into smaller cuts and going slow since I am in no rush and have a Dr who will work with me but has no idea about w/d sx at all.

My biggest problem as of now is this I am good taking my doses  0.25 3 times a day 10am,130,4pm i do great all day nothing no sx at all that is until between 8-10 and then i get a bit anxious, rapid hb and just feel jittery and off. BUT if i also get this feeling if i safe a bigger dose for night time like right when i am ready to go to sleep it has the opposite effect on me so i cant take a bigger dose then.

Should I maybe take the 4pm dose later to help with this? or should i split up the doses in to 6 doses a day? I just got on a schedule again about 4 days ago and feeling better except at night. There has been a couple nights when i had to get up and take .0625 because i just could not get settled down to sleep and a heating pad helps also. I DO NOT want to take that extra dose i am doing so well i am so upset to feel this way only at night of course my worse time is late afternoon and night.

Any thoughts that may help?

thank  you all so much you cannot explain how much this forum has helped me  ;)

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Be...]

• [mr...]

• [Ra...]

• [VC...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Marley, I'm just responding to give your post a bump.  I'm not great with multiple dosing support because I did not have interdose withdrawal.  Hopefully someone else can help.

Bottom line is that I'd dose in a way that made me comfortable and I would not up dose.  Good luck.  :thumbsup:

:yippee: i got a refill for alprazolam .50mg this morning !! it was a bargain $10.50 (tax included ) for 120 pills !! i was taking 1/8 cut pieces of old alprazolam .50mg  over a year old i was worried it wasnt so potent anymore !! i was just getting 1mg before before today i have like 500 or more of them in my medicine cabinet i put them all in a old empty large vitamin bottle

Looking for any suggestions. I am down to .75mg from 1mg and I am holding a bit since my last cut was a bit rough i am trying to get things back in order before i cut again. I am looking into smaller cuts and going slow since I am in no rush and have a Dr who will work with me but has no idea about w/d sx at all.

My biggest problem as of now is this I am good taking my doses  0.25 3 times a day 10am,130,4pm i do great all day nothing no sx at all that is until between 8-10 and then i get a bit anxious, rapid hb and just feel jittery and off. BUT if i also get this feeling if i safe a bigger dose for night time like right when i am ready to go to sleep it has the opposite effect on me so i cant take a bigger dose then.

Well, Marley, congrats on lowering your overall dose to 0.75mg.  :thumbsup:

Wondering - are you just now feeling some interdose w/d at night time?

The reason you're feeling okay during the day is because you take your doses very close together, but at night your body's going about 18 hours with no xanax at all. It would've been nice to have started your taper with doses evenly spread. As you know, the half life of Xanax is pretty short. Typically, people on short-acting benzos have to dose more frequently to keep blood levels consistent (although Juliea seems a rare exception). No wonder you feel jittery at night. Have you considered spacing out your doses a little further apart? Everyone's different, of course, but seems you might wanna stretch those doses out a bit and/or add a 4th dose if you can do  that in a way that won't force you to updose. I hope someone else will chime in. 

3 1/2 hrs between 10am & 1:30pm

2 1/2 hrs between 1:30pm & 4pm

18 hours between 4pm & 10 am.

I take 4 doses daily - > 7a - 12:30pm-5:30pm-11pm. For me, 5 1/2 hrs apart seems to work okay in my case, and I'm able to go from 11pm- 7am before dosing again. It's been suggested that we should dose every 4-6 hours around the clock, with equal doses, equally spaced. (However, I've broken this very rule in my own case, since I can sleep thru the night without a dose and I also kept my larger bedtime dose to help with sleep on my way down the taper). 

Hope someone else will weigh in to help, but those are my thoughts (and I'm feeling fried at the moment...ha).

:smitten:

Well, Marley, congrats on lowering your overall dose to 0.75mg.  :thumbsup:

Wondering - are you just now feeling some interdose w/d at night time?

The reason you're feeling okay during the day is because you take your doses very close together, but at night your body's going about 18 hours with no xanax at all. It would've been nice to have started your taper with doses evenly spread. As you know, the half life of Xanax is pretty short. Typically, people on short-acting benzos have to dose more frequently to keep blood levels consistent (although Juliea seems a rare exception). No wonder you feel jittery at night. Have you considered spacing out your doses a little further apart? Everyone's different, of course, but seems you might wanna stretch those doses out a bit and/or add a 4th dose if you can do  that in a way that won't force you to updose. I hope someone else will chime in. 

3 1/2 hrs between 10am & 1:30pm

2 1/2 hrs between 1:30pm & 4pm

18 hours between 4pm & 10 am.

I take 4 doses daily - > 7a - 12:30pm-5:30pm-11pm. For me, 5 1/2 hrs apart seems to work okay in my case, and I'm able to go from 11pm- 7am before dosing again. It's been suggested that we should dose every 4-6 hours around the clock, with equal doses, equally spaced. (However, I've broken this very rule in my own case, since I can sleep thru the night without a dose and I also kept my larger bedtime dose to help with sleep on my way down the taper). 

Hope someone else will weigh in to help, but those are my thoughts (and I'm feeling fried at the moment...ha).

I'll squeak in on my experiences too :)

I dose every six hours on the nose, so four times per day.  All of mine are even doses as well.  I'm not sure if that is helpful to you or not Marley, but it did help eliminate my interdose withdrawal. 

I know you mentioned having a sort-of "reverse" reaction when dosing a full amount at night, which is why you eliminated that dose.  I'm not trying to recommend anything to you of course, so please feel free to make your own decisions based on what you believe is best for you of course :)  Perhaps you could "rob" a 0.0625mg or 0.125mg portion from one of your other doses during the day (perhaps the dose that you feel "best" at anyways?) and then you could take that small amount at bedtime?  Perhaps it would be enough to eliminate the interdose withdrawal, but not so much that you would get that "reverse" reaction.  Hard to say if it will help or not; we are all so individual I know :P

I've also been taking magnesium glycinate (Doctor's Best brand) in larger but divided doses, spread out during the day, and it has been helpful to my symptoms, IMO.  The magnesium glycinate in particular, for me.  Other forms don't seem to have the same effect. 

I hope this helps :) Again, I'm no doctor and am not trying to recommend anything for you or anything :)  Always feel free to decide what is best for you, okay?  Take care,

Mrs.  :smitten:

I take my doses 1pm, 7pm, 1am, 7am.....so I dose in the middle of the night. Recently instead of setting an alarm for the 1am dose I take it when I wake up closest to 1am...I am up regularly in the night. Usually every hr. If I slept thru the night I d set the alarm to dose to keep the dosing sch on target. Although my doses aren't quite equal right now as I taper bc I am knocking off amts from each time to get them all to .5mg. Right now its 1mg, .5mg, 1mg, .5mg.....fri I ll make another .25mg cut to make a .75mg dose from one of the 1mg doses. And cut again until they are all at .5mg. Than start again at a slower rate cutting from the diff dosing times each cut to keep them more equal as I go lower. At one point I envision having 4 doses at .0625 mg each at the same times. Than I ll begin to cut the doses out one by one.

G

Thank you all your such great help to me. I took my 10 am dose and I am going to try to take a piece from my 130 dose and take it tonight before bed hoping that will work. I have a hard time making my doses even to take lol I am thinking about trying to adjust my dose times again. I have NO trouble sleeping once i get there it is just from 8-10 that i have the problem.

Maybe I should try to take like 1/2 of 0.25 at 8? I would as someone suggested take 1/2 from another dose and see how that works. I am usually find in the am so maybe from that dose will work although today i would have to take it from the 130 dose. I guess I will try to adjust my times again.

I feel great all day though it is nice last night though at about 7 i started getting jittery and then when i went into bed i could not get to sleep at all toss turn rapid hb ect so i did take .0625 that i had taken from another dose and that worked.

I don't think i will cut again until this is all figured out and when i do cut it will be less then .0625 this time and maybe that will help.

Thank you all again for the help :)

Hey marley, not sure if this helps , I moved my doses around the day according to how I feel and the last day. I try to keep it at 4 times a day, but I have yet to get as low as you are mg wise. I do take my last two closer than the first two. I have super bad nights and mornings so I tried to 'steal' just a bit from other doses for morning and night like Mrs said. As long as I can spread the dose about the same 4 times seems to work, but some nights i do take a bit off my morning dose if nothing is helping sleep. IMO the melatonin works great with the magnesium, I found a supplement with both. Not sure that helps but keep up trying with the dose you are on. :)

thank you all again, I will ask my Dr on Saturday about the melatonin and magnesium. And i have been find all day i did take .0125 off from my 130 dose and saved it for tonight BUT right now at 8pm feeling jittery so i took .0625 of it for now not sure it will even help. It is crazy that every night at the same time i feel this way. I took my last 0.25 at 4pm so it has been 4  hours UHG only 4 hours.

Hoping this works i dred when 8-? at night comes it is SOOO hard to fall asleep :( my heating pad does help alot tho.

thank you all again hoping something that you all have suggested will work bless you all :)

Marley, just wanna share that since I've increased my magnesium glycinate, I've hardly felt anxiety or jitters anymore. Now if I cut too much on my taper, I'll experienced more. But overall, the mag is helping me with sleep, too. That, and epsom salt baths. I've taken melatonin (low dose=1mg) with mag at times, but right now I'm enjoying organic tart cherry juice instead, because it's loaded with natural melatonin. Over a few weeks, it's made a difference in the quality of my sleep but probably mainly the magnesium. Just thought I'd share my experience because insomnia has been my hardest SX to deal with, and I'm not able to take other meds.

Well i saved 0.125 from my 130 dose and i took .0625 at 8 pm and then the other .0625 at 1030 seemed to help some to get to sleep. so this today i am changing things up some at 830-0.125 and i am saving the other 0.125 for later. I can only HOPE that it does not bite me in the butt lol.

Looking into the magnesium and melatonin also today. I have a bit of a fear of taking ANY pills at all after this xanax nightmare. I had never taken anything before accept antibiotics. I believe it would be safe since so many other ppl have taken them both.

Also going to try to hold out until 200 or so for next dose and then 7 for the last of my 0.25 and then maybe right when i lay down for the 0.125 i saved from am dose.My concern is that they are not even doses??? I dont even know how to dose 4 times a day and make them even and the least amount at night lol uhg

It is SOOOO hot here today so might go down to the beach hoping some sunlight will help also.

Thank you all again for the help looking forward to getting this all figured out and then on to the next TINY cut. have a great day

so it is 645 i have had jittery,uneasy,very quick to temper since about 530-6 so i took my last dose of 0.25 at 645. I have .0125 left for later at bedtime uhg i hope this 0.25 last for awhile i dont go to bed until 1030-1100. not sure if this way is going to work

Hi all, I hope you all are doing well, myself, I am in hell! I did so well my first month off, and then bam! For the last few days I have had severe anxiety, shakiness, dizziness, head pressure. I went to a counselor today. Hope it will help. I am hell bent on not going back to Xanax! Just waiting out this acute phase. Working is becoming next to impossible.

Hi Jennlynn,

I just want to say, hang in there buddy and you're not alone :) I've micro tapered my way down to where I'm at currently, and I believe I've entered my "phase" of "acute" recently as well, since my dose is so low now :P

I've been taking a high daily dose of magnesium in the form or magnesium glycinate (Doctor's Best brand) and have fond it very very helpful with anxiety and panic. Very. :) Of course, not every person is the same, so of course feel free to decide what's best for you :) I'm no doctor and I'm not saying that it will be helpful for you, but I thought I would relay what's been helping me :)

Hang in there with me buddy -- I work fulltime as well, and I know we can do this :) It is not easy, but if you hang on to me, and I'll hang on to you, we can bite through this tiny temporary phase and make it through to easier times soon here. This phase we're experiencing will soon be a something we'll giggle at in a month or so :)

Hang tight, and thanks for posting, :)

Mrs. :smitten:

Oh I am hanging on! Today was rough! Was not able to work today. Hoping for a better tomorrow! Love that all of you are here  :smitten: This is tough but I am determined to keep healing. Keep up your good work!

So my physc NP that is seen today prescribed me the following

Gabapentin,effoxor 37.5,clonidine 0.1 mg she is tellimg me all this will help with my taper and make it easier and that NONE are addicting?

Any thoughts on all this thank you :(

Gabapentin,effoxor 37.5,clonidine 0.1 mg she is tellimg me all this will help with my taper and make it easier and that NONE are addicting?

IMHO, I would do a little google research on withdrawal from Gabapentin, and effoxor. You can use the BB fourm to search and read up too. As far as the clonidine 0.1, I was given that for methadone wd and it made me fall over or get really dizzy so that was problematic. I have seen people on here that have been on gabapentin and had to taper that.

Im sure someone with some experience with those meds will chime in.

In my situation the up's and downs from xanax are enough to keep me from even trying to add anything new to the mix that isint a natural supplement. My doc wanted to try tegretol, but after reading up on it I decided to decline. Those medications may help you, but I personality am sticking to holistic approach. We sorta have to become our own advocate when it comes to some doctors.  Whatever you decide I hope you find some relief and continued healing.  :)

Hi BB's

Thought I'd ask all of you. I dose three times a day.I'm on Xanax and it's really low. I'm close to the end and my Symptoms are not too bad anymore. Mainly physical. But I'm ready to cut again but I'm wondering does it matter what dose we cut? If you cut a particular dose one time , should you feel the symptoms right away during that moment?Or is it all a wash? Does your body just take all of the drug it was given over that 24 hours ( no mater when it was) and just add it up?

In other words, if you cut , say your 10pm dose, your not going to feel worse at 11pm are you?

I think it may just come out when ever it does later on, like 12 hours later.

I'm only talking about us being at low doses now.

Because I am trying to find what to cut next.

I'm at Morning 20grams/Mid 10 grams/Night 30 grams. All of my cuts are 10 grams a cut.

So, I could either cut 10 grams from my night and make it 20Grams. But I have to go 15 hours between doses for that and sleep too. Thats my longest hold.

Or I could drop the mid cut? I'd like to do that, but I don't know if I should drop a dose just yet? Maybe I should keep going all down the line? Though it would be easier and it's already a small dose.

Or I could cut the first dose down to 10 grams and keep the second at 10 grams too. That way , if there is any trouble, I've still got two doses after it.

That's why I wish I knew if WHEN you cut makes a difference or is it all just in the mix?  And it 's not about the time of day dose you cut, your gonna feel it whenever?

Anybody asked a doctor about this?

Thanks guys

Educating myself on Xanax also included other medication(s) that are prescribed by Doctors to

mitigate withdrawal sxs. These included: Gabapentin and Clonidine. Both have been used by others

for withdrawal sxs. Antidepressants (Effexor) are prescribed for depression. I know that each of

these medications need to be tapered, IMO.

The choice is yours and how you want to proceed with these medication(s).

Safe Journey, Marley

Notforme

Hi BB's

Thought I'd ask all of you. I dose three times a day.I'm on Xanax and it's really low. I'm close to the end and my Symptoms are not too bad anymore. Mainly physical. But I'm ready to cut again but I'm wondering does it matter what dose we cut? If you cut a particular dose one time , should you feel the symptoms right away during that moment?Or is it all a wash? Does your body just take all of the drug it was given over that 24 hours ( no mater when it was) and just add it up?

In other words, if you cut , say your 10pm dose, your not going to feel worse at 11pm are you?

I'm at Morning 20grams/Mid 10 grams/Night 30 grams. All of my cuts are 10 grams a cut.

So, I could either cut 10 grams from my night and make it 20Grams. But I have to go 15 hours between doses for that and sleep too. That's my longest hold.

Or I could drop the mid cut? I'd like to do that, but I don't know if I should drop a dose just yet? Maybe I should keep going all down the line? Though it would be easier and it's already a small dose.

Or I could cut the first dose down to 10 grams and keep the second at 10 grams too. That way , if there is any trouble, I've still got two doses after it.

That's why I wish I knew if WHEN you cut makes a difference or is it all just in the mix?  And it 's not about the time of day dose you cut, your gonna feel it whenever?

Thanks guys

We  are all physiologically different in regards to medications. How they affect us, how to taper

them, and how your experience may or may not be. No one person can give you a "definite"

timeline on how you will respond to your taper.

That stated, I do know that keeping your taper on schedule, ie: take at the same time, amount

of reduction, how you are tapering and what you are tapering all have an effect on sxs IMO.

Xanax is a "short acting" benzo. 6-12 hours depending on how your body metabolizes meds.

I metabolize Xanax (and all meds) rapidly. In a 24 hour day, I had to dose every 2-3 hours.

I did a dry cut taper, using .0625mg compounded Xanax capsules, spread throughout

I then "alternated" my dose reductions, consistently. Noon, PM and AM last. I kept to this

system throughout my taper. No up dosing, nor switching amounts throughout the day.

IMO, I know that my body responded to the same dose, at the same time with the same

dose reduction(s).

IMO, being consistent with your tapering, adhering to your time, dose and cut amount alternating

the times, will give you, JACD an indication of where you need to be as finish your

taper off of Xanax.

Best of luck to you, JACD

Notforme

Hi BB's

So, I could either cut 10 grams from my night and make it 20Grams. But I have to go 15 hours between doses for that and sleep too. That's my longest hold.

Thanks guys

We  are all physiologically different in regards to medications. How they affect us, how to taper

them, and how your experience may or may not be. No one person can give you a "definite"

timeline on how you will respond to your taper.

That stated, I do know that keeping your taper on schedule, ie: take at the same time, amount

of reduction, how you are tapering and what you are tapering all have an effect on sxs IMO.

Xanax is a "short acting" benzo. 6-12 hours depending on how your body metabolizes meds.

I metabolize Xanax (and all meds) rapidly. In a 24 hour day, I had to dose every 2-3 hours.

I did a dry cut taper, using .0625mg compounded Xanax capsules, spread throughout

I then "alternated" my dose reductions, consistently. Noon, PM and AM last. I kept to this

system throughout my taper. No up dosing, nor switching amounts throughout the day.

IMO, I know that my body responded to the same dose, at the same time with the same

dose reduction(s).

IMO, being consistent with your tapering, adhering to your time, dose and cut amount alternating

the times, will give you, JACD an indication of where you need to be as finish your

taper off of Xanax.

Best of luck to you, JACD

Notforme

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hiya buddies :)

I posted a little update on me in another part of the forum, but I wanted to post it here as well to keep my "Xanny" buddies in the loop too! ;) I am doing great, too, by the way :) so no worries :)

Hiya gang :)

A little update on Mrs. :)

Throughout my entire taper, I have been able to maintain my full time job. About six months ago, I stopped coaching weight loss part time. As of this coming Monday, I have decided to move to working on a reduced hours program at my job. My tapering doctor has helped me set this up through my work, and everything is taken care of. I will move from working 40 hour per week to working 20 hours per week, until I am able to resume my full time status. I was emotional, but must admit I feel a great sense of relief in making this shift. I am grateful for a wonderful employer who is willing to work with me, and I am grateful for a wonderful tapering doctor who has supported my every need, every step of the way on my journey of becoming benzo free. And I'm also grateful for my buddies here, for all the laughs, hugs, and love sent every moment of every day :)

I just wanted to keep y'all in the loop on Mrs. I am a-okay :) Just gathering my second wind for the final walloping of my benzo -- the b' is going DOWN. ;D

Love y'all and take care :) Thanks for being here with me also :)

Mrs. :smitten:

Mrs,

Sounds like a great plan...more rest and time to heal plus the stimulation of your workplace. So glad you have the support from your supervisor and doc. Good luck.

Warmly,

Carita

Mrs, I'm so happy to hear the folks at work are supportive of you being able to work part-time!!  This is great news.  I hope that having the extra time for some self care will be just what is needed to help you through the remainder of your taper.  Wonderful to hear you have such a supportive doctor too!  :thumbsup:

Marley, I haven't taken any of the meds during my withdrawal, that your doctor suggested to you.  As far as Gabapentin, I took this med in the early '2000's, to help keep from getting migraine headaches.  The migraines were caused by Xanax, and the Gabapentin did not help the headaches.  I remember having a really bad hangover, (severe cog fog and hard to wake up), in the mornings from the med.  I can't remember how long I took the med, quite a few months most probably.  And I don't remember tapering to stop the med and probably stopped cold turkey, knowing myself. 

I was never good in understanding withdrawal until my Xanax taper, so if I did have a withdrawal from stopping the Gabapentin, I don't remember it ...

We do have a Gabapentin tapering support group, so many folks here do experience withdrawal when dc'ing this med.  They describe the wd similar to benzo withdrawal.

Good luck, Marley.  :hug:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [je...]
    • [Na...]
    • [Re...]
    • [Sw...]
    • [Jo...]
    • [Tr...]
    • [bi...]
    • [Th...]
    • [...]
    • [Li...]