Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

XANAX Support Blog: If you're tapering Xanax/alprazolam, join in the discussion!

[mr...]

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Be...]

• [mr...]

• [Ra...]

• [VC...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I *never* thought I'd say this.. but I had to pass a horribly brutal exam recently to land a job. I was totally super-nervous and was having panic attacks all day and night. My usual Xanax dose was 2.25 mg, and I upped it to 3 mg the night before my exam. I hate to say this but I was calm and unruffled and passed the exam in the first try. Hate Xanax anyway.. but I'm giving the freakin' devil its due.

I'm now on 2 mg Xanax and 10 mg Valium. The Ashton manual tries hard to be a one size fits all guide for quitting benzos but I've come to realize each person is unique in his or her own way. My body might react totally differently from yours. Sometimes we may find ourselves needing an extra .25 mg or so to quell a really bad craving. Sometimes even 1.5 mg may keep us calm, if y'all get what I mean.

The journey ain't easy, it is full of potholes and barbed wires. We gotta hang in there and ultimately figure out our own unique taper plan that causes as little damage to our already scrambled brains as possible. Psychs and doctors may only suggest, only we know how we want to taper. My body rejected the Valium initially, but then it realized it had no choice. I'm now gonna try 1 mg Xanax and 10 mg Valium for my nightly fix. I can't really remember which doctor gave me my first Xanax script, I don't see any one doctor. My doctors' practise is attached to a big hospital and they send me to whichever doctor's free in the time slot I need. But I sure hope I recognize that doctor someday, and let him/ her know what I think of him or her.

Let us keep our hopes alive and squish this devil a.k.a Xanax.

Thank you Mrs and Carita,

I walk In Faith.......

Love and healing to you both,

Fluter :smitten:

Hi FB,

Hang in there sweet friend! I will echo Carita and Mrs. Trust us, we have all been where you are at. You are not losing it and you can and will beat this. It most likely will be the hardest thing you've ever gone through but it is doable! Just remember that last year at this exact time, I was in the throes of a horrific nightmare. I was having suicidal thoughts for the first time in my life, massive anxiety, hallucinations, I could hardly walk to the bathroom, was completely bedridden, and in more pain than I thought possible among about 35 other symptoms. I am now writing this to you from my desk in my new office in a beautiful building in the heart of the Denver Tech Center getting ready to work with a leading alternative psychiatrist on IQ testing for people with brain injuries! That is the switch that has occurred in just one year!  I have back and stomach pain today and tinnitus is ringing and I have constant head pressure, BUT I am doing it...I am here doing what I love. You will get there. I repeated to myself a million times, "The only way out is through!"

Love,

Hopeful Girl

Thank you hopeful!

I am so happy for you.  What a joy to have survived this!

Really rough day!  Experiencing very scary violent thoughts which are making it hard for me to close my eyes and sleep.  It's really hard to believe my brain is capable of thinking such things.

My 1p.m. dose has given me no relief. My face/tongue are tingling. My feet are burning. I have a headache, nausea, teeth hurt.  It's uncanny to me, that such a small reduction can cause such horrific SX's.

Congrat's on getting your life back.  You were one of the first one's to befriend me when I joined BB's.  Continued health and healing. 

Blessings to you Hopeful,

Fluter :smitten: :smitten:

Hi! I need to edit my signature but right now isn't the time. I have finally, under my psychiatrist's supervision gone down on my xanax ER 2mg 2 times a day to 

2mg ER in am,

1.5mg ER in pm with 1 10 mg of valium/day as needed for anxiety.

I feel like i am going crazy right now & feel NOONE in my family understands how this feels. The 1st day I went down was on 5/9 I am able to function a little bit better mentally but now my stomach is going crazy. I have my own son, so calling my mom for support is kind of silly anyway...huh? SO, I am here. I brought the taper plans all printed out to my dr appt but my dr thought that the switch to from xanax ER to valium was not tapering down as fast as she thinks i can go. I am not handling every day stressors very well at all. Is this normal? My stomach is going crazy & i cannot hold any food in for long. I know that getting off this poison is the right thing to do, this is just so painful. I need some support or I feel like I am really going to lose it.

ChiMom:  So are you going to cross over to all Valium?  I hope you added Valium for the purpose of fully crossing over.  I would not be taking Valium solely to help with Xanax withdrawal.    I would also not take the Valium as needed, if I were in your shoes if I was going to cross over.  I'd take it every single day, along with my Xanax during the cross over.  It's very common to feel withdrawal from the Medicine being substituted during a cross over.  Valium is not an instant benzo like Xanax is.  It takes a good while to build up in our systems to cover the withdrawal of the medication being substituted.  I would hold at 3.5mg of Xanax and 10mg of Valium every day for at least a week prior to doing another substitution. 

4mg of Xanax is equivalent to 80mgs of Valium. 

Usually when Xanax XR is tapered, the taper is done using the XR and the .25mg regular fast acting Xanax for the tapered dose because the XR's only come in the lowest dose of .50mg.

Was it your intention to fully cross over to Valium?

ChiMom if you haven't been taking the Valium religiously every day, then you've made a pretty large first cut, greater than 10%.  This could be why you've been hit so hard.

Please let us know your taper plan.  I'm especially interested in if you plan to fully cross over to Valium.

I'm so sorry you're not feeling well. 

Hi ChiMom,

Totally normal, yes -- well, as 'normal' as withdrawal can get :P

It sounds like you may be trying to reduce rather rapidly. Or, are you looking to crossover to valium in order to taper? Depending on your preferences, there are good resources to help you figure out how to proceed. Some are sensitive to dosage reduction, and therefore move slooooowly and very gradually (like myself, Rabbit, Carita). This can be done via water titration or dry cutting. Some even micro cut using a jeweler's scale to weigh their doses.

When dry cutting, many folks here will gain prescriptions of 0.25mg tablets and then split them into four equal pieces, making a 0.0625mg reduction. Water titration involves placing your daily dose into a steady amount of liquid and then withdrawing their cuts with milliliter incremental reductions.

In truth, I believe that there is no right or wrong method :) Choosing one that works well with what your body needs, and then proceeding at a pace that you can manage and stay stable seems to be the most productive way to come off safely and stay off. I've read it somewhere that says if you do this right, you'll only have to do this once :)

Hope this can help you a little, ChiMom. I am not in a position to go into details with tapering methods, but Juliea on this thread is wonderful :) Ask around for any help & suggestions, if you want, also :) I believe you'll do great :)

Take care,

Mrs. :smitten:

Dear Fluter,

As Mrs. and Carita already said, you captured this journey at it's worst perfectly.  It is such a feeling of nothingness.  Hard to put into words, but you did a good job.

I just wanted to add my support.  You WILL do this and you are NOT going crazy.  This is just simply the hardest thing most people will ever have to face.  Benzo w/d is not for sissies.  Look at all the folks who have gone before us and did it.  No it isn't easy, but it can be done and you are NOT weak.  You are doing it! 

I'm a little surprised too that those small reductions are causing those symptoms, but it's certainly possible and is in fact happening.  I'm so sorry you're going through it.  I wish I could come through the screen and hug you. 

I'm praying for your Fluter sister.  Hang in there, we are here for you  :angel::smitten:

Love,

Rabbit

Hello,

A big shout out to each of you who lifted me up with support today during what has been one of my worst days so far.

I am praying for sleep tonight, and if indeed this happens I will cut tomorrow to 4.2mL.

Thank you BB's. Healing hugs for all :hug:

Fluter :smitten:

Oh and diarrhea is also part of withdrawal symptoms as the tummy also contains GABA receptors. They say most health issues start from the tummy and work their way upwards. I'm learning to deal with this brutal withdrawal, one symptom at a time. Of course, I do keep my Xanax prescriptions refilled all the time, better to be safe than sorry. But I've learnt *not* to reach out for that poison pill the moment I feel a panic attack blowing my way. The actual withdrawal aside, it takes tremendous willpower to actually quit. I'm sloooowly but surely quitting Xanax, and Valium is certainly not as horrible as Xanax. It is not an instant calming pill, but builds up over a period of time and the taper is much easier than Xanax.

I don't have any desire to take the Xanax. None. I was rxd for sleep and it stopped working yrs ago and all the docs did was increase the dose and stupid me I listened as they said its harmless and not addictive. It still really wasn't that great for sleep. Pretty soon I was in the throws of benzo hell! And still am! I have no need for this drug except take it to taper me off ...and even this is pure hell! I don't have any good or relaxing feelings from it, it does nothing anymore but poison me and make me physically ill. I dread having to take my doses each day bc I know it is just a poison for my system and is making me sick. It's like taking cyanide daily....I hate it. It does nothing for me but cause me pain and misery. No need to take it. If I could I d flush today and never look back! I ll take the sleepless nights compared to what this drug has taken from me! Everything!

Sorry Grinch  :-[ I know what you mean. It made me so angry when I realized that no doctor ever warned me about any of the possibilities. It is like being trapped!

How is everyone? Rabbit? I have been doing good. Today I have had some shaky hands, but over all pretty good. Just checking in.

Well I cut again, .5 on 25th and feeling like hell. What else could anyone say. I cut again last night another .5... At least nothing new as far as symptoms has jumped out. This is contant torment, but I picked up my .5 pills today so i wont have to cut a quarter of a bar. That may slow my taper a bit. Just thought i would pop in and say hello. The only window I have had was when i found an old .5 of k and replaced it for one of my dosages. Thinking maybe v crossover would be kinder on me, but more likely to cause protracted wd. Sorry this is about all i can say. I am going to hold at 4mg (yay only two stupid bars ugg) till i feel a lift then cut .25 now. This month at home has felt like a year! I refuse to stop going. My heart goes out to you all, i pray for relief for us all! :smitten:

Well I cut again, .5 on 25th and feeling like hell. What else could anyone say. I cut again last night another .5... At least nothing new as far as symptoms has jumped out. This is contant torment, but I picked up my .5 pills today so i wont have to cut a quarter of a bar. That may slow my taper a bit. Just thought i would pop in and say hello. The only window I have had was when i found an old .5 of k and replaced it for one of my dosages. Thinking maybe v crossover would be kinder on me, but more likely to cause protracted wd. Sorry this is about all i can say. I am going to hold at 4mg (yay only two stupid bars ugg) till i feel a lift then cut .25 now. This month at home has felt like a year! I refuse to stop going. My heart goes out to you all, i pray for relief for us all! :smitten:

Hey Synapskills, Sorry you having a rough time.  Is there a reason you are trying to taper so quickly? 

Hey Jennlynn, Glad to see you are doing good.  I sure it will only continue to improve for you. :)

Monique

Synap, I also agree with Monique.  You're pushing the envelop right now and I'm afraid this might bite you.  I ALWAYS waited to stabilize between cuts.  This would take me anywhere from 8 to 14 days.  These last two cuts being so close together could send you into acute.  I'm concerned for you.  Please consider slowing down.  :-\

Hey Synapskills, Sorry you having a rough time.  Is there a reason you are trying to taper so quickly?

I was given 6 months with my pDoc to taper. Now it is what it is, at least today feels fine.

I can take the next few months a little slower now and have a little extra if I do go past 6mo. As far as cutting so quick, I feel personally that I am able to deal with any horrid sxs better now that I am aware of what's going on and find small ways to cope. I can take slower cuts now that I have .5 pills. I may be rushing this at first,  but cannot give a better answer other than I hope this works because I can't go back, and before I had no idea there were even Wds from this and it almost killed me. The knowing what to expect and feeling my way down to a dose I can actually slow down a bit now, 5 more months to taper 4mg is what I got. Wish me luck. Im praying nothing new pops up or gets worse, but today is ok. Im sure i will be around.  :)

Thank you Juliea, I really do need to slow down. At least I was able to get to 4mg, and pray for no acute. If it does get really bad, I may reinstate .25 but today is tolerable. Just trying to relax any little window i do get.

Sorry for the double post, BUT I am super relieved. I kinda got flipped out figuring out how quick I would have to go to do this taper within the time my doc gave me.

So I called him, and begged him to give me more time. After going on about how this was just way to fast he caved. He said I could have 12 months! I am just so relieved. I get to see him next week and I will be able to sit with him for 30 minutes and work out a much slower taper.

Can I just do a little happy dance now. I was seriously feeling the pressure to go fast, but after thinking about this, I want to do it right the first time! reinstating the last .5 then waiting, for relief. I need the break. ;D

Sorry for the double post, BUT I am super relieved. I kinda got flipped out figuring out how quick I would have to go to do this taper within the time my doc gave me.

So I called him, and begged him to give me more time. After going on about how this was just way to fast he caved. He said I could have 12 months! I am just so relieved. I get to see him next week and I will be able to sit with him for 30 minutes and work out a much slower taper.

Can I just do a little happy dance now. I was seriously feeling the pressure to go fast, but after thinking about this, I want to do it right the first time! reinstating the last .5 then waiting, for relief. I need the break. ;D

That sounds great Synapskills.  I am glad your doctor listened to your concerns and agreed to give you more time. 

Monique

Thanks Monique! How are you?

I am doing pretty good.  I see my p-doc next week to talk about getting off my final .5mg however I plan to stay here until the end of June.    :)

Thanks,

Monique

Getting psyched up to cut .25mg tom eve from my 3.75mg dose. And going to hopefully cont this each fri till I reach 2.50mg. Than I ll re evaluate. That is either under or just at 10% cuts with the math I did. Wish me luck!!

Grinch

Getting psyched up to cut .25mg tom eve from my 3.75mg dose. And going to hopefully cont this each fri till I reach 2.50mg. Than I ll re evaluate. That is either under or just at 10% cuts with the math I did. Wish me luck!!

Grinch

Good luck G. It always kinda feels good to know we are getting closer to the low end of this crap.

Im not that far behind ya, will be hopeful it goes smooth. keep us updated on how it goes. :thumbsup:

My (ex) taper story may sound downright scary, but I was in Singapore for like the past 5 months. Xanax addiction is punishable by caning in that country. I was FORCED (sorry) to go CT and after like 3 weeks of miserable indescribable symptoms, I adjusted. Of course when I returned home to the States after the stint, my brain automatically reached for the Xanax like a drunkard to his bottle. Sigh..

And earlier when I was in Qatar, I had to do the CT thing for fear of getting beheaded. I wonder why our docs are all too happy to give us this poison pill and not simply ban it outright. I'm now on a slooooow taper with Valium thrown in..

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [le...]
    • [fa...]
    • [Bi...]
    • [Ab...]
    • [Mh...]
    • [mo...]
    • [ca...]
    • [Ta...]
    • [Li...]
    • [Sw...]
    • [be...]