Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

XANAX Support Blog: If you're tapering Xanax/alprazolam, join in the discussion!

[mr...]

hii miss juliea well i jumped 3 days i felt like i was ok i felt a small slightly bothersome feeling in my head but it was tolerable I  slept rather well i remember like 6-9 hours those days i was woried when the worst was going to come to me , i really messed up though i shouldve quit smoking before that jump  sometimes i feel ok after a cigarette sometimes i feel tense i got tense from smokin and i had to take my xanax :(  i dont know why i do that to myself i always tell myself " im going to quit smokin after i finish this pack"  :(

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Be...]

• [mr...]

• [Ra...]

• [VC...]

Top Posters In This Topic

hii miss juliea well i jumped 3 days i felt like i was ok i felt a small slightly bothersome feeling in my head but it was tolerable I  slept rather well i remember like 6-9 hours those days i was woried when the worst was going to come to me , i really messed up though i shouldve quit smoking before that jump  sometimes i feel ok after a cigarette sometimes i feel tense i got tense from smokin and i had to take my xanax :(  i dont know why i do that to myself i always tell myself " im going to quit smokin after i finish this pack"  :(

Babyangel, you say you "felt a small slightly bothersome feeling in my head but it was tolerable".  Babyangel, it sounds as though you were doing great sweetie.  :) I know you are scared to stop taking Xanax, but if you truly want to stop taking the medication, you will need to stop eventually.  I'm sorry you're scared.  We're all sometimes scared of the unknown.  But in order to truly be benzo free there comes a point when our tapers end and we take our last dose.  I'm pulling for your to reach that point soon.  (((Babyangel))) :hug:

Julia is correct.

Stress, fear, anxiety, dread, anger, sadness, worry, resentment, etc. are all normal emotions experienced by most humans evey day they get out of bed. For six months, I've made a conscious choice, (I have a choice), to experience life with all it's highs and lows. Not everyday is easy or great, but being benzo free is worth all I've been through to reach this point.

Hang in there my friends. Life after benzos is sweeter than I'd ever imagined. If I can do this, anyone can!

thank you miss julia and truesouth a few months ago i was taking xanax differently like i would take 0.125mg every 2 days instead of a daily dose  im not sure if expanding my doses that far apart helps my body make more of its own gaba chemical?i actually feel slightly ok now and i took my last dose 30 hours ago umm  i did do this first before take meds every 1 1/2 days stay that way a lil while before every 2 days i think i might be able to sleep tonight without xanax and take it in morning to wait around day and half

i dont feel so much anxiety anymore  , it used to be really bad , i practiced countless times dialing 911 i was able to dial without looking at phone ,  rehearsing what to say except i wouldnt press talk so it didnt go thru

mm i think i did feel better today than usual since i activated late tonight washing dishes for an hour

Ok, it's been way too quiet here... I hope that means most buddies are feeling good and healing.  ???

It sure *is* quiet, TS. I could use a little support with the L/T, but I just don't see anyone hanging around here much lately. Hope you're doing well.

Babyangel, hope you're feeling better.

Rabbit, hope you're doing well between work and tapering.

Mrs, Babyrex, Carita, Hopeful - would love to hear an update.

Hugs,

VC  :smitten:

i think i did good the last 2 days i expanded my dose from 0.0625mg a day to that ammount every 36 hours i had good sleep too i slept 2 hours on the sofa when i went to my family's ranch earlier , i was by myself there i sitll felt ok and didnt worry i took some magnesium this morning with breakfast i think this helped me sleep that long of a nappy activating helps me feel alot better from withdrawals

Sorry VCharis, I'm absolutely no help on the L/T taper. All I can say is stay with it and keep moving forward. I feel alive again and it's absolutely wonderful. It wasn't easy, but I promise it's worth all the pain and the struggle to become benzo free. Today it seems like a million years ago when I first found BB and began my taper. Wow... 

Every cut and every dose you delay is a step closer to freedom BabyAngel. Hang in there girl!

Help, I am losing hope quickly. The more i see people struggling on lower doses of alprazolam I look at how long i have been on and how much. I feel like the day my head stops pounding and the week long ringing in my ears will last forever! Also my new crazy brain. I cant even remember simple things, and just sit here wishing it all would just stop. please tell me 10 years of benzos has not destroyed me permanently?!  I may have jumped from 8mg to 6.5 to fast in one month. My head is just :idiot: goin nuts. I really don't know. my pc doc said I need librium. I was going to ask the phyc doc that has me on this for vallum taper. But nurse over phone said just quit .5 a week!!

Im on so much because of cross tolerance from methadone. Why he didnt slow this down sooner being the same state funded place I am terrified to even ask in fear of being cut off completely. I blame myself but had no idea what i was in for.

I hope i posted this in a correct fourm because I need some advice. struggling to type this even. This has to end somehow. And dang if i have to put any chemical in my body withought it being life or death. Im so flipped out about when i thought i could just stop I think i got more PTSD from cutting my dose in half, causing a seizure. Just crazy. Ever since i droped down to 6.5 it comes and goes between doses. I won't even eat processed foods now. They call it a raw diet. I dunno im losing hope as the day gets closer to my appointment. He may just thow me in the nuthouse.  sorry if this is anoying but I have 0 support and can barely type this. Someone please tell me there is another person put on this much xanax over time that is ok?  :-\

-SYNAP

Thank you, TS. Your words inspire hope and give me great reason to keep going. THank you for that. Whether we dry cut or L/T, we still need to hang on to hope and keep moving forward, bit by bit. I'm so thrilled you're on the other side of your taper and doing well. Thanks again!

I may have jumped from 8mg to 6.5 to fast in one month. My head is just :idiot: goin nuts. I really don't know. my pc doc said I need librium. I was going to ask the phyc doc that has me on this for vallum taper. But nurse over phone said just quit .5 a week!!

-SYNAP

Dear Synap,

I'm so sorry you're feeling alone in this. Healing is very much possible for us all, no matter the dose we've taken over the years but it's necessary to taper slowly to give your brain and CNS time to heal as you go along. This thread has been fairly quiet but I hope others will see your note and come to your aid. 

It does seem you've cut a bit fast, which would definitely crank up w/d symptoms. No wonder you're feeling anxious. I've not taken quite as much Xanax, but even at 1 mg x 14 yrs, I could never tolerate a 0.5mg cut per week. Usually the longer we've taken a benzo (and the higher the amount), the more slowly we need to gently taper - no more than 5-10% every 2-4 wks. Some go even slower. Please check out the Ashton Manual because your request for a Valium taper may indeed help, but you'll need time to cross-over to valium slowly, with a doctor's help. You might need to show him the Ashton Manual. It's possible to direct taper from your xanax if you're provided enough refills, but going the liquid taper route might be advisable if you have a sensitive nervous system like I do. It's less harsh than dry cutting and holding.

Hang in there, Synapskills. Hopefully one of the more experienced folks will step in soon to offer you additional help and support. Please don't blame yourself for anything. We're all in this together...keep posting.

Blessings,

VCharis  :smitten:

Hi synapskills.  I dry cut tapered off of 6mg of Xanax after using the medicine for insomnia for over 25-years.  My taper from 6mg was done in .50mg chunks every two weeks or so until I got to 3mg.  Then at 3mg I held for about 2-years until I started my dedicated 9-month taper to get free of that last 3mg. 

In your shoes, I'd probably continue to taper by .50mg chunks until I got to 5mg.  I'd make certain that each time I did a taper, I'd hold my dose for a minimum of 2-weeks to allow my body to re-stabilize.  I'm not certain how quickly you reduced from your highest dose to where you are now, but if you did so very quickly without waiting to stabilize between dose reductions or reduced higher amounts than .50mg, this could be why you were hit hard.

When I arrived at 5mg, I'd revisit where I was with my taper and consider dropping my cut size to .25mg per taper period until I hit 2.50mg. 

Keep posting for support.  You can do this.  We have a member from several years back who tapered off of 25mgs of Xanax.  So this is definitely doable if you set your mind to do so.  :thumbsup:

Thank you VC,

I do plan on bringing a copy of the Ashton taper. My concern is that the Dr will realise this will take too much effort, and time on his part. He is so overloaded I get 5 min's every 3months  (and im sure he knew better) Xanax for as long as 10 years, that much. Almost afraid to ask. Some phyc dr's would cut you off, but we got here together, so hopeful he will be receptive. 

After the initial shock of cutting my dose in half, stupidly. Because I had been perscibed atavan at age 13, and other benzos on and off. Thought nothing of withdrawing. I can't even list all the mental and physical manifestations that have stuck with me, even after I reinstated my dose. You have heard them all, im sure. Agoraphobia and the inability to try and get family or friends to understand that this is real, just sucks.

Thank you for the kind words, We are all in this together. The more people. The more awareness. It is truly a sad state of affairs how benzos are "often" just handed out as a cure all.

Blessings to you, :)

Synap

Hang in there, Synapskills, I know it's rough. The situation with many of our doctors is just not ideal, and it angers me that they've so often left us in the lurch. I found a PCP who was willing to give me whatever I needed to get this taper done....God bless his heart. I couldn't return to the p-doc who carelessly told me to just stop the xanax. In fact, i was too angry with him for ignoring my symptoms all this years. My PCP is fairly new but cooperative and kind. At least he knows I can't go cold turkey, so when I presented my sensible taper schedule and explained my plan to be benzo-free in a year, that I'm in a benzo support group - he knew I meant business and agreed to help. I felt finally "heard" even though the only real support I have is this group.

I'm definitely familiar with agoraphobia and other awful SXs. It takes awhile for the nervous system to adjust to changes, but with time, we do heal. When I landed here in Jan., I didn't feel stable at all, and people helped me calm down, look at my taper options, and finally put my toe in the taper water. It was scary but now I'm beginning my taper and doing better. I firmly believe these bodies were designed to heal, given the right conditions. But I have to talk back to benzos every.single.day. Be kind and compassionate to yourself....we'll help you through this, step by step. When is your appt? Praying your doctor will give you the refills you need to begin a wise and safe taper.

Yes, it's nearly impossible to get family/friends to understand. Mine sure don't. That's why I'm here. :sick: BB friends are the best. You are not alone, my friend.

Hugs,

Juliea,

Thank you so much. How long did it take over all?

Were you able to work or function, without feeling completely alien? 

I did cut 1.5 in a month, so I might just push on and hold at 6mg. I just want this over. If people can feel like normal (Not some never ending bad trip) holding every two weeks, I will do it.

I get mixed comments on if Ashton valum crossover taper works best. Some say do dry with the titration near the end. Others ie my pcp think i need librium and halcyon!

I just wan't to feel normal again. can't eat can't sleep all the disintegrated thinking and derealization. You have heard it all im sure. I just wonder if rushing this (and i mean a year) will cause more long term protracted withdrawal. I try to glean little bits from everything I research, whilst keeping in mind we all will vary in results and time. I thought I was tough as nails, but right now just keep getting pounded in the head.

Peace & Respect  :-\

Synap

VC,

It's great to finally feel validated after dr and family tell you just stop. They think I want to keep using them! They are use to quick WD's. If i could i would. I would like nothing more than to never see a pill again. Even after a seizure put me in the er. My pcp was clueless.

My apt with the P- doc is monday. I can only pray he listens. Worst case he has script for 120 2mg before i even sit down. 

Juliea,

Thank you so much. How long did it take over all?

Were you able to work or function, without feeling completely alien? 

Going from 6mg to 3mg took me approximately 3-months.  I continued to work outside of my home and did not experience any withdrawal symptoms that I was aware of probably because I did not yet understand how to recognize withdrawal symptoms in myself.

Then as I said, I held for approx 2-years at 3mg.

At the end of that 2-year period, I began the dedicated taper to get OFF of Xanax.  This took 9-months.

So all total, it took me 12-months of tapering to stop taking 6mg.  Also, during the 25-year history I took Xanax I frequently tapered up and down between 3mg and 6mg depending upon how well or not well I was sleeping.

I did cut 1.5 in a month, so I might just push on and hold at 6mg. I just want this over. If people can feel like normal (Not some never ending bad trip) holding every two weeks, I will do it.

That is rather quick and this might be why you're experiencing such difficult symptoms.  At your level it would have taken me a minimum of 6-weeks to taper 1.5mg.  Those extra days might have made a bit difference in me being able to manage well.  Also, if you made reductions at any point higher than .50mg, this might also contribute to making you feel bad, IMO.

I get mixed comments on if Ashton valum crossover taper works best. Some say do dry with the titration near the end. Others ie my pcp think i need librium and halcyon!

Halcion would be NO HELP IMO.  It's extremely short acting and Xanax is already short acting.  Halcion was the first benzo I was prescribed.  Librium is a good benzo to taper from, but it's only available in capsule form, which means titration is a must.

A Valium crossover works better for some and for others not so much.  This is why I always advise folks to try tapering their original benzo first prior to making an abrupt cross over decision.  Plus, for a great many folks Valium tapers can take a  W H O L E  lot longer to taper than Xanax.  For me personally, this was not acceptable because I did not want a long drawn out taper and I knew I could taper Xanax.  It boils down to individual comfort levels.

I just wan't to feel normal again. can't eat can't sleep all the disintegrated thinking and derealization. You have heard it all im sure. I just wonder if rushing this (and i mean a year) will cause more long term protracted withdrawal. I try to glean little bits from everything I research, whilst keeping in mind we all will vary in results and time. I thought I was tough as nails, but right now just keep getting pounded in the head.

Peace & Respect  :-\

Synap

I know you want to feel normal again.  I was like you when I started tapering.  But as I --- very slowly --- reduced my dose, I began to feel better and better.  Hopefully that will happen for you too.  Rushing our tapers usually does not help us feel better more quickly, IMO.  I believe in tapering slowly and carefully within our bodies ability to stabilize between cuts.  This is called "listening to our bodies".  When we listen to our body, and allow our body guide us all the way down to zero, I believe we have the best shot at healing more quickly.

I can't see your signature from the screen I'm on.  How long have you been taking Xanax or any other benzos in total?

I can't see your signature from the screen I'm on.  How long have you been taking Xanax or any other benzos in total?

I was put on benzos in my early teens. I think atavan. I cant recall how much or how long. I use to be able to bounce on and off. I do remember shaking so bad at one point the pcp was thinking it was MS. Around that time my psych doc said "oh you have panic disorder". Put me on clonazipam and off we go. about 23 yrs off and on. The last 7 of those years xanax 8mg prn. I really had no clue benzos had withdrawal. My intro has a bit more history. Excuse my sloppy grammar, and format. I am just so exhausted... Right off jumping from 50mg methadone then thinking i could just quit xanax the same, Nope. I am living proof the body does heal, with strict healthy whole foods and exercise, and faith. I really pushed it for along time. I am amazed im still here. So i will keep going till the good lord decides im finished  ::)

Synap, hang in there!  I'm tapering from 3mg, but I'm very scared as I had an acute event that left me unable to work last Fall, so I'm being VERY conservative and am tapering .0625mg every 2 weeks.  So cut and hold basically.  I do also take Seroquel and I believe that is helping me.  I know many here do not endorse other drugs and I'm certainly not, just stating my experience.  So far, all I have for symptoms are some depression and tinnitus.  My taper if all goes as planned will take 2 years. 

The fact that family members don't understand makes it very hard.  I've tried and tried, but to try to explain the severity of the symptoms just really can't be done.  A person who hasn't been through a benzo w/d simply can't understand.  My brother would say 'what are you afraid of?'.  My answer was I don't know and everything.  What an answer.  He got very irritated with me many times.

In my limited experience, I would say that your taper has been a bit fast and that's most likely the reason you're feeling so poorly.  Everyone is different.  I do not handle mental stress very well and my job is extremely stressful, that is the primary reason I'm being so conservative on my taper.  It doesn't make me happy to think of a 2 year taper, but I need to remain functional as I'm the primary source of support for me and hubby.

If I were you, I would hold until you feel better before continuing to taper.  Maybe taper in smaller chunks like .25 or .125mg and see how you do.  Everyone's body is different.  Some can handle those large cuts at higher doses, but some can't.  There are always options.  Hang in there, we are all in this together. :smitten:

Hugs,

Rabbit

Feeing a little better today,  since I moved my dose around. still on 6.5.

But today i am gonna cut .25. Mainly because Im up so high and seems that most the mental stuff has calmed. No more 4mg jumps that was mistake, like I have said I really didn't even know about bezo WD. Still have ringing in my ears esp night and morning, thank god for music. I put softer sleepy music on sleep timer. keep having fuzzy vision with anoying floaters along with white pokes at my left eye. Odd alot of physical symptoms ie tingling feet hands only in my sleep along with full on 3d dreams/nightmares. I slept almost 6 hrs. First time in two months, usually get 2-4.

I know tonight may be rough.

Another reason is I see my P-doc tomorrow, and wan't to show I am trying.. He may be open to a valum taper. I still havent decided, but cutting bars into less than .25mg isnt great. I really hope he can see Im trying. I did get the last appointment of his day. I am very worried he won't be receptive. I will post the taper schedule if he goes with it. Worse case he keeps me on and I will dry cut untill I can find a dr willing to help. Long road ahead...  :-\

EDIT: guess im not doing as well as I thought took me till 5pm to realise today is Saturday. I was thinking today was Sunday. Guess I am just nervously awaiting my doctors appointment on Monday...

Are you using the 2mg bars?  If so, yes, you need smaller pill sizes to taper.  I have 1mg and .25mg pills to taper with at the same time.  It works WAY better than trying to taper those huge 2mg bars.  Good luck at the doc appt.

Quick question. I had 3-4 fairly decent days but got slammed with symptoms again today -> elevated BP/irregular heartbeats, anxiety, emotionality. Slept okay but woke up this morning with adrenaline surges already...then noticed I'd not finished my xanax bedtime dose last night - maybe drank 2/3rds of it. Must have gone to the bathroom or something and fell asleep before finishing it. Can't believe I did this.

How do I handle my taper in light of this? Hold it? Keep going? I've missed a fair amount of one dose, not much I can do about it. Should my body settle down shortly if I resume my usual dosing?

Thanks -

I'd go back to my regular dosing schedule, VC.  I'd probably not do a micro reduction today though, just to be on the safe side.  Try not to beat yourself up over forgetting to take your full dose.  It's happened to a lot of buddies.  You're not alone. 

VC, I've done that, too :P A few times, actually! I just held for a couple days & was fine :) It was a lil goofy for a day (at most) is all :)

Take care,

Mrs. :smitten:

woiuld it be better if i saw a specialist instead of seeing the psychiatrist i see that gives me xanax to help me with the tapering or give me diazapam to help me with withdrawals ?

seems like some days i do well taking 0.0625 mg a day-36 hours then i feel yucky sudeenly and i take 0.125mg like early this morning around 5am

babyangel, is your goal to stop taking benzos or continue taking them.  Valium can be just as hard to stop taking as Xanax for many people.  In fact it's my belief that Valium can actually be harder for some people to stop than Xanax, due to it's long half life requiring such a long and super slow taper.  If my goal was to stop, then I'd simply stop and learn to deal with my anxiety naturally and allow myself to heal.

We can only help with a taper.  We can not instill a desire to live a life not being dependent upon a benzo, only an individual can do that by the choices they make.

I believe you might benefit from some counseling to help you come to term with what you want.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [Bl...]
    • [In...]
    • [Ro...]
    • [je...]
    • [ro...]
    • [Ch...]
    • [Kr...]
    • [kn...]
    • [SB...]
    • [Li...]
    • [or...]