Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

XANAX Support Blog: If you're tapering Xanax/alprazolam, join in the discussion!

[mr...]

Now it's been two and a half months.. Could you tell me more about dissolving the xanax to taper it? How does that work exactly? Step by step. Forgive me for trying to be so specific.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Be...]

• [mr...]

• [Ra...]

• [VC...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Now it's been two and a half months.. Could you tell me more about dissolving the xanax to taper it? How does that work exactly? Step by step. Forgive me for trying to be so specific.

Don't worry about asking for specifics, that's what this thread is for.

I didn't do a liquid titration, so I'm sorry I can't be of more help, however I'm sure someone will come by to help you soon.

If you were only on for 2.5 months you can probably get away with going a bit quicker than the 10% reductions.  I'm not sure someone that was only on for 2.5 months needs to spend 8 months tapering.

It is possible to split the pills into 8, which could be an alternative for you.  Personally, I spilt my pills into quarters, and then split those into halves.  At that point there is some dust in the mix, but I just lay out 8 piles, and scrape some of the dust into the smaller piles to even things out.  Then, each pile would equal .125mg.

It's hard just trying to break it into fours to be completely honest.

It's hard to get them into 8 pieces, but do-able.  If you can get them into quarters, then it's just a matter of using a knife to cut those small pieces in half one more time, and then distributing the dust among piles to even it out.

There is always the option of using an emery board to file down the pills.  Just file the pills down more, and more untill you are done.  You can follow this link to see how it's done. http://www.hughes12.com/tapering_xanax.htm

It's hard just trying to break it into fours to be completely honest.

Hi lolwut,

Welcome!

It's possible to titrate off your bars, but I don't have the expertise to tell you how to do it.  I'm hoping someone with more experience can give you a better idea.  Try here for a better answer:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?board=62.0

Or:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?board=56.0

Either way, go slow and you will get through this.

:smitten:

Babyrex, the part about kindling kinda worries me. I have adrenal issues, and severe adrenal burnout is also noted to cause HPA axis issues so I guess my question would be - how do you know you kindled? Could I be kindling? Still haven't started my tapering. Dealing with other stuff right now. Thanks!

I'm here sweet V, just can't answer your question  :smitten:

I hope you are feeling some better tonight?  :thumbsup:

Thanks, Rabbit. How's your taper going so far?

Okay, happy Monday, everyone!

Since joining BB, I listened to sensible advice about reinstating regular low doses of alprazolam (instead of sporadic PRN dosing) and adhered, hoping to 'stabilize.' Main issue: adrenaline surges accompanied by spikes in BP and irregular heartbeats that come and go. Also insomnia. When I do my adrenal breathing exercises and pull away from stimulating activities (like internet), I experience a reduction in surges. My CNS is still super sensitive but seems my adrenals have been burned out from mineral depletion. Working on that with a natural healthcare practitioner.

At first I thought these SXs were interdose w/d...most of you did, too. In fact, everything seems to be attributed to benzo w/d on this forum and others. Indeed, benzos mess up everything over time. After nearly 3 months of regular dosing (see sig line) these SX's still occur, though, maybe less frequently. On other days, it's back full speed if i'm stressed.

I could "hold" at present dose forever, or I could go ahead and taper. Seems the longer I expose my body to the benzos, the longer it'll take to taper and heal. On Surviving Antidepressants, they subscribe to indefinite holding - and indeed, my brain had to adjust to coming off other brain drugs prior to xanax. But holding, holding, holding forever for stabilization? At what point do we just move on? I have other health issues that may not resolve until this benzo is out of my system. The fact that I can still have adrenal surges/irregular HBs within 30-60 minutes of dosing makes me wonder if it's really interdose w/d. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see healing from any kind of autonomic dysregulation happening while on the very drug that caused it. Or is my thinking faulty?

Sorry this turned out to be so long but I could use some support again. If weak adrenals are overproducing stress hormones...adrenaline will surely trigger irregular heartbeasts. Dr. Lam's website mentions irregular heartbeats and HPA axis dysregulation as a symptom of advanced stage adrenal fatigue, and that's without mention of benzo influence.  I do think benzos whack the adrenals. 

Now someone mentioned kindling. Is this theory or fact? Even Heather Ashton says many who had unsuccessful attempts at tapering eventually do okay. I messed up last year by reinstating xanax after being benzo-free for one whole month. All the months thereafter I was dosing sporadically, trying not to get addicted (what a joke). Sure, it sensitized my system. So how long does one wait to start tapering off this mess? I hope I've given you enough info for thoughtful feedback in my case.

Switched from pills to water yesterday using exact same doses - just letting my body adjust to liquid form before taking off my 1st ML. Input? Or is it still too soon? Thanks.

VCharis  :smitten:

Hi VC,

Here are my thoughts...

1. If I were in your shoes, I would start my taper soon. I don't believe I would have ever stabilized. I held for almost a year and all my symptoms got worse. My adrenals were shot and nothing started getting better until the very end of my taper. I'm sure everyone is different but if I had waited to stabilize by continuing to take the very drug that was making me sick, I would still be on Xanax today. You may get worse before you get better if you start tapering but at least you will be moving towards being done with the drug on to healing. My adrenals are recovering nicely after finishing my taper. Certainly you can have adrenal issues separate from benzos but benzos alter our CNS and taking the drug PRN or changing doses up and down can further sensitize the system having a negative impact on the entire system.

2. I can't answer the part about kindling being a theory or fact. Unfortunately, with all things benzo related there aren't studies to back this stuff up. From a medical perspective the majority of doctors would say that benzo w/d isn't a fact. What has been clear to me is that for those that take the drug PRN or updose or reinstate and withdraw again, each time it becomes more and more difficult for them. However, if kindling is factual or not the solution is still the same...get off the drug and don't reinstate. It just may take longer to heal.

3. I think it is really good that you have switched to the liquid and are allowing yourself to adjust to this. Switching to liquid typically equates to a cut so wait 7-10 days or some would say 10-14 days before removing any. Then I'd start.  ;)

I hope this helps in some way. Hopefully others will chime in as well!

Love,

HG

Hopeful Girl, thanks for your kind, helpful, and thoughtful response. I'm in agreement so far. Thank you.

Even though I'm terrified at times to begin the tapering process, what you say resonates. It encourages me to know your adrenals are healing now. Gives me hope. What you say about kindling makes sense...either way I'm inclined to hunker down and wean off this benzo, slowly but surely. (What I don't look forward to is more insomnia).

Thank you for reminding me that switching to water is akin to a 'cut.' I forgot. I'll definitely wait at least a week to 10 days before doing anything else. 

Thanks ever so much, HG. :smitten:

~VC

VC:  As far as starting your taper, I believe I would begin to taper if I were in your shoes.  As far as healing while still taking the drug, I believe that healing occurs during a gentle taper, but the 'final and complete' healing can only occur after we are no longer ingesting the benzo.  I can't comment on the adrenals, but I understand from reading Perseverances information that benzos effect the adrenal system a great deal. 

Kindling is a theory as far as I know, when it comes to benzo withdrawal.  I believe this phenomena is researched with alcohol, but not with benzos.  I 'believe' repeated benzo withdrawal may cause a kindling phenomena to occur, (subsequent withdrawals may be more difficult), however, I don't believe it's a good idea to try to classify ourselves as 'possibly kindled', because it makes no difference to our withdrawal, (taper), IMO.  This is because I believe we all, (unless we're very short-term users), need to take great care when discontinuing a benzo.  We do that by tapering and listening to our bodies during the taper and not over tapering, (tapering more rapidly than the body can adjust to our dose reductions).

Good job on switching to your liquid.  You've made your first cut.  :thumbsup: 

Hi V- I'm glad you got some great support from Hopeful and Juliea!  I hope getting off the benzo will help you.

So far, so good for me, just 2 little cuts of .0625mg and symptoms so far are just a little tinnitus, but nothing intolerable, in fact very minor and my sleep may be a bit more disturbed the first week of the cut.  If I can manage this all the way down, it will be a piece of cake.  I have a feeling though that this may not be sustainable as I get lower in dose.  If I didn't have to work, it would be of course a different story.  But I'm thankful that my first 2 cuts were OK.

Hugs my sister and friend,

Rabbit

Well, I just cut up my last pill of Xanax into pieces.

I have 11 little pieces sitting on my dresser.  0.0625mg each.  After I'm done those pieces I'll be off the Xanax.

Well, I just cut up my last pill of Xanax into pieces.

I have 11 little pieces sitting on my dresser.  0.0625mg each.  After I'm done those pieces I'll be off the Xanax.

Yay! Great news! 11 days and counting!  :thumbsup:

Lacey, you are a total stud!  That must feel so good to see the light at the end of the tunnel.  Just remember, listen to your body  :smitten:

VC:  As far as starting your taper, I believe I would begin to taper if I were in your shoes.  As far as healing while still taking the drug, I believe that healing occurs during a gentle taper, but the 'final and complete' healing can only occur after we are no longer ingesting the benzo.  I can't comment on the adrenals, but I understand from reading Perseverances information that benzos effect the adrenal system a great deal. 

Kindling is a theory as far as I know, when it comes to benzo withdrawal.  I believe this phenomena is researched with alcohol, but not with benzos.  I 'believe' repeated benzo withdrawal may cause a kindling phenomena to occur, (subsequent withdrawals may be more difficult), however, I don't believe it's a good idea to try to classify ourselves as 'possibly kindled', because it makes no difference to our withdrawal, (taper), IMO.  This is because I believe we all, (unless we're very short-term users), need to take great care when discontinuing a benzo.  We do that by tapering and listening to our bodies during the taper and not over tapering, (tapering more rapidly than the body can adjust to our dose reductions).

Hi Juliea. Thanks so much for your input. I'm gearing up for the process. Something in me just clicked yesterday and I felt it's time to ease this benzo out of my system once and for all. Support and encouragement is so vital and I'm deeply grateful for this group. I think you're right about not categorizing myself as kindled or not - I doubt it changes much. It's just that when I describe my symptoms to some, I told to hold, hold, hold. I gave it a good shot (3 months) for stabilization...now I'm ready to move on. Got my plan, got my equipment, got my support, got my doctor onboard for scripts.  Check, check,check, check!!!  :thumbsup:

Wow, my first cut. I did it.  :thumbsup:

V, that is awesome!  I do believe not everyone is stable when they start their taper.  It does not mean you cannot have a decent taper.  If my memory is right, I don't think Juliea was in perfect condition when she started her taper and she has said that the lower she got, the better she felt.

Course there's no way to know for sure how it will go, but you're right, you've got everything ready to go, GO FOR IT!  And you already have.  You're tapering!!!  YAY!!!!!

Love,

Rabbit

Hi Juliea. Thanks so much for your input. I'm gearing up for the process. Something in me just clicked yesterday and I felt it's time to ease this benzo out of my system once and for all. Support and encouragement is so vital and I'm deeply grateful for this group. I think you're right about not categorizing myself as kindled or not - I doubt it changes much. It's just that when I describe my symptoms to some, I told to hold, hold, hold. I gave it a good shot (3 months) for stabilization...now I'm ready to move on. Got my plan, got my equipment, got my support, got my doctor onboard for scripts.  Check, check,check, check!!!  :thumbsup:

Wow, my first cut. I did it.  :thumbsup:

Hi VCharis,

For me, kindling was tolerance withdrawal.  For the first couple of years, I was able to "take as needed".  But I ever so slowly began to need more.  I eventually ended up at 1.5 mgs per day.  I would take .5 in the morning and 1 mg in the evening. 

My afternoons became hell.  By 3 to 4 pm my tinnitus would start screaming.  My evening commute was torture.  I would make it home and collapse on my bed for an hour or so.  But I made dinner, paid bills, and cleaned.  I still had no idea.  Now imagine that scenario for weeks, month, years.  Essentially, I did many tiny "cold turkeys" along the way.  This was my kindling, although I have no scientific "proof".

I've told you before that most never experience the hell I've been through with a slow taper.  And you will need to start yours to gauge where you will be.  Frankly, I'm stunned by the lack of support, here, for those that suffer a brutal withdrawal.  We are often marginalized by those who have not experienced exhausting symptoms.  I do want to be supportive, but it  is becoming increasingly difficult.

I can't tell you how many short term users, I have seen, that glide in and out with little repercussions.  While I'm happy they were able to get off the poison, their experiences have nothing to do with mine. And many long term users who have had brutal tapers seem to distance themselves from past reality. 

I'm in the super slow titration camp now.  It's ok to be symptomatic, but bedridden is a bitch.  Listen to mrsalw, and do a slow titration.  It won't be pain free, but functioning is better than hell. 

Hugs,

:smitten:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [Re...]
    • [Ev...]
    • [je...]
    • [Jo...]
    • [Ma...]
    • [Ch...]
    • [Le...]
    • [...]
    • [Be...]