Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

XANAX Support Blog: If you're tapering Xanax/alprazolam, join in the discussion!

[mr...]

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Be...]

• [mr...]

• [Ra...]

• [VC...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Baby,

How are you doing?

I'm hanging there. Tired of the constant nerve pain and head pressure but marching onward toward healing. About to start tapering drug number 2 and very nervous about it.

Thinking about you and hoping you are feeling better and better!

Love,

Hopeful Girl

Hi HG!

Downer:

Well, not to be a bummer, but I've had little improvement in the last four weeks.  But I am MUCH better than my taper and acute.  My baseline seems to be somewhat stable, but I still must seek the comfort of my bed quite often.  This has been an intense, physical journey for me...I'd imagine most won't go through this kind of hell. 

Upper:

I'm healing!  The time I spend in bed is much less than even couple of months ago.  My physical symptoms are pretty rough, but my cog fog is ever so much better!  I'm loving the clarity of mind that I haven't had in many, many years.  I believe that my traumatic taper has made me thankful for this second chance at life!

And we will all persevere!    :thumbsup:

:smitten:

That is good news Baby, I'm happy for you.  How long did your 'acute' stage last you?  I'm sure everything will continue to get better for you. 

I've dropped another dose last night, so down to .125mg total a day.  2 more cuts to go.  Feeling pretty shitty though.

Hi Friends,

Baby...glad you see some signs of healing. This is a glacial process. Sending love. Hopeful Girl...the nerve pain is exhausting. You've done one taper...you are an expert at  this process. The gabapentin taper will take time...but you will be fine. Sending you wellness. Mama, sending love. And all my other friends here...each day is another step closer.

Love to all,

Carita

Baby,

That is good news.  I feel the same way.  I don't think I will take anything for granted any more.

Mama :smitten:

Mama,

It's all good.  I get scared sometimes, but it helps to look back to see how much progress I've made.  It's what keeps me going as this is the true sign of healing.  Pay attention to your baseline.  Throw out the windows and waves and you're left with a baseline that more accurately reflects where you are in recovery. 

Hi Friends,

Baby...glad you see some signs of healing. This is a glacial process. Sending love. Hopeful Girl...the nerve pain is exhausting. You've done one taper...you are an expertise this process. The gabapentin taper will take time...but you will be fine. Sending you wellness. Mama, sending love. And all my other friends here...each day is another step closer.

Love to all,

Carita

Thank you, Carita. I am really unnerved about it. I think because I now know how bad it can be. There are several on BB who say the gabapentin was way worse than their benzo! I'm not sure I want to weather that but I do know I want off!

Love,

Hopeful

Hopeful Girl,

You've given yourself a good block of time without Xanax to heal...that is great. You have done so much healing. A slow taper is a way to start...see how you do and go from there. You have been through a difficult Xanax that taught you about your strength and resilience. Call on that for the next one. I have a hunch it will be easier than Xanax...it was for me. I am here to support you any way I can. I remember how good it felt to toss the remaining gabapentin in the garbage....you will too!

Warmly,

Carita

Hi Baby,

How are you doing?

I'm hanging there. Tired of the constant nerve pain and head pressure but marching onward toward healing. About to start tapering drug number 2 and very nervous about it.

Love,

Hopeful Girl

Hi HG!

Downer:

Well, not to be a bummer, but I've had little improvement in the last four weeks.  But I am MUCH better than my taper and acute.  My baseline seems to be somewhat stable, but I still must seek the comfort of my bed quite often.  This has been an intense, physical journey for me...I'd imagine most won't go through this kind of hell. 

Upper:

I'm healing!  The time I spend in bed is much less than even couple of months ago.  My physical symptoms are pretty rough, but my cog fog is ever so much better!  I'm loving the clarity of mind that I haven't had in many, many years.  I believe that my traumatic taper has made me thankful for this second chance at life!

That is good news Baby, I'm happy for you.  How long did your 'acute' stage last you?  I'm sure everything will continue to get better for you.

Hi Lacey,

My acute (worst of the worst) lasted about 2 months.  By month 3, I was about 30% healed.  I've stagnated in month four, but that is not unusual.  I'm pretty certain I will be one of those really slow healers that get insignificant windows yet ever lessening waves.  This is why I pay so much attention to my baseline; it is gradually getting better.  Not fast enough for me though!  ;D

I'm sorry you feel like crap.  Take care of yourself

Hopeful Girl,

You've given yourself a good block of time without Xanax to heal...that is great. You have done so much healing. A slow taper is a way to start...see how you do and go from there. You have been through a difficult Xanax that taught you about your strength and resilience. Call on that for the next one. I have a hunch it will be easier than Xanax...it was for me. I am here to support you any way I can. I remember how good it felt to toss the remaining gabapentin in the garbage....you will too!

Warmly,

Carita

Thank you. I will probably call on you for that support. I am so weary. Yes, I have a lot of healing on board but still have constant symptoms. I would say I'm about 40-50% depending on the day. I am just like what Baby described. I get less intense waves without any real windows. I feel like months 5 & 6 have been a plateau but I'm sure it is just my body's healing process. I will keep the image of tossing out the gabapentin in mind.

Love,

Hopeful Girl

Hi Friends,

Baby...glad you see some signs of healing. This is a glacial process. Sending love. Hopeful Girl...the nerve pain is exhausting. You've done one taper...you are an expertise this process. The gabapentin taper will take time...but you will be fine. Sending you wellness. Mama, sending love. And all my other friends here...each day is another step closer.

Love to all,

Carita

Thank you, Carita. I am really unnerved about it. I think because I now know how bad it can be. There are several on BB who say the gabapentin was way worse than their benzo! I'm not sure I want to weather that but I do know I want off!

Love,

Hopeful

HG,

Listen to Carita.  You were on prescribed insane amounts of psychotropic drugs.  Every time I think about it, I get  :tickedoff:.  But you have slayed the beast.  We all know by now each withdrawal is different, you will get through this!  Don't believe the naysayers!  You are well on the path to complete recovery...you're just frightened.  It's okay.

Sending hugs,

Hi Friends,

Love to all,

Carita

Love,

Hopeful

HG,

Listen to Carita.  You were on prescribed insane amounts of psychotropic drugs.  Every time I think about it, I get  :tickedoff:.  But you have slayed the beast.  We all know by now each withdrawal is different, you will get through this!  Don't believe the naysayers!  You are well on the path to complete recovery...you're just frightened.  It's okay.

Sending hugs,

Thank you, Baby! Love to you.

HG

Hi Baby,

How are you doing?

Love,

Hopeful Girl

Hi HG!

Downer:

Upper:

Hi Lacey,

My acute (worst of the worst) lasted about 2 months.  By month 3, I was about 30% healed.  I've stagnated in month four, but that is not unusual.  I'm pretty certain I will be one of those really slow healers that get insignificant windows yet ever lessening waves.  This is why I pay so much attention to my baseline; it is gradually getting better.  Not fast enough for me though!  ;D

I'm assuming that you were at 0% at your worst?  if so, a 30% improvement is a very nice accomplishment. Congrats!

Lacey, you seem like you're tapering quickly.  I'm not doing it nearly as fast.  It's going to take me at least 8 months to drop 1mg and you're almost there now.  Wow!  You said you feel pretty crappy, can you slow it down a bit?

Baby, why do you think your taper was so brutal?  Do you think you tapered too fast or just the way your body reacted?  I'm as you can see, just starting my taper and want to avoid any pitfalls that you veterans ran across.  I'm planning on tapering .0625 every 2 weeks all the way to the bottom if I can.

HG - maybe the gabapentin wont be so bad.  Some folks don't have much difficulty at all.  Warm hugs coming to you.  I know another taper is probably not something you are looking forward to but you can do it.  If you can do a Xanax taper, you can do a gabapentin taper.

Carita - you are one of the sweetest people on this board.  You always say such warm and comforting things.  I hope things are going OK for you.

So far I've only done 2 cuts.  Some tinnitus in both ears at times, but nothing too bad.  My sleep I think gets effected, but the Seroquel masks that a bit.  Feeling pretty stable, so I'm very grateful for that.

Hugs to all my fellow Xanax taperers and those who are done and still here encouraging us  :smitten:

Hi Baby,

How are you doing?

Love,

Hopeful Girl

Hi HG!

Downer:

Upper:

Hi Lacey,

I'm assuming that you were at 0% at your worst?  if so, a 30% improvement is a very nice accomplishment. Congrats!

Lacey,

Thank you!

Everyone's experience is different.  My 0% is is a variable that is differentiated amongst patients.  Some have relatively mild symptoms while others experience extreme distress.  It's almost impossible to gauge what people will go through during their tapers and withdrawal.

As you know, I have been dependent on benzodiazepines for many years.  I reached tolerance some years ago.  I have watched my health decline rapidly in the last 4-5 years.  For me, it's all about the baseline.  I look at how sick I've been, and I've have had to rely on memory what it is to feel "well".  This is how I've judged what my baseline should be.

It was about 10 years ago when I agreed to take my second poison (Xanax).  And it was about 20 years when I willingly ingested  (Prozac) that made me fat and manic.  But slowly, I feel my health returning.  So, I can't really answer your "baseline" question as some of us have been in negative territory.  :laugh:

I'm so happy you are here to support others.  Your questions are valid and helpful to many short term users.  And yes, I'm almost always grouchy... >:(

Rabbit...you are dear, thank you. It looks like you are doing well on your taper. Am glad to see you are working, driving and managing the symptoms. You can do this! Baby, Hopeful Girl and I are all proof xanax can be tapered. We are here for you if you need a boost.

I have been thinking of you when I walk. I live in a historic neighborhood with huge old trees and oodles of squirrels. I think of Magnus when I see the little guys scampering up and down the trunks. I saw one leap about 10 feet from a tree to roof...they are powerful! Does he let anyone else cuddle with him?

Goodnight...sleep well everyone. Oh....I should share my sleeping news. Finally I'm getting more than a few hours at a time, sometimes up to 6! In the mornings I can occasionally fall back to sleep after I wake...this is brand new and so welcome. I am grateful.

Love,

Carita

Don't worry about being grouchy Baby.  We all get like that while going through this crap.

Lacey, you seem like you're tapering quickly.  I'm not doing it nearly as fast.  It's going to take me at least 8 months to drop 1mg and you're almost there now.  Wow!  You said you feel pretty crappy, can you slow it down a bit?

I really don't want to slow down to tell you the truth.  I'm feeling bad, but just kind of want off this stuff, and then let nature run its course and heal after I'm off.  If that makes sense.   

Rabbit...you are dear, thank you. It looks like you are doing well on your taper. Am glad to see you are working, driving and managing the symptoms. You can do this! Baby, Hopeful Girl and I are all proof xanax can be tapered. We are here for you if you need a boost.

I have been thinking of you when I walk. I live in a historic neighborhood with huge old trees and oodles of squirrels. I think of Magnus when I see the little guys scampering up and down the trunks. I saw one leap about 10 feet from a tree to roof...they are powerful! Does he let anyone else cuddle with him?

Goodnight...sleep well everyone. Oh....I should share my sleeping news. Finally I'm getting more than a few hours at a time, sometimes up to 6! In the mornings I can occasionally fall back to sleep after I wake...this is brand new and so welcome. I am grateful.

Love,

Carita

So glad you are getting more sleep.  :smitten:

Currently trying to figure out how to taper 1mg blue xanax.. Not sure how it's done. I see everyone decreasing the dosage by super extreme low amounts.. how exactly is that done? Might be going to a very nice rehab soon that specializes in this type of stuff.. But could anyone clear this up for me? How would I go from 1mg to 0 in months like everyone else is doing?

Thanks Hopeful Girl. I had grown so used to brief bits of sleep I was shocked the first time I slept long. It doesn't happen nightly but when it does I am so grateful. I will never take feeling well or sleeping for granted again.

Love to you,

Carita

Currently trying to figure out how to taper 1mg blue xanax.. Not sure how it's done. I see everyone decreasing the dosage by super extreme low amounts.. how exactly is that done? Might be going to a very nice rehab soon that specializes in this type of stuff.. But could anyone clear this up for me? How would I go from 1mg to 0 in months like everyone else is doing?

Hey lol

most people around here taper 0.0625mg's every 1-2 weeks based on symptoms.  It can be done by cutting 0.25mg tabs into quarters.  Is your doc on board with tapering xanax for you?

Baby, why do you think your taper was so brutal?  Do you think you tapered too fast or just the way your body reacted?  I'm as you can see, just starting my taper and want to avoid any pitfalls that you veterans ran across.  I'm planning on tapering .0625 every 2 weeks all the way to the bottom if I can.

HG - maybe the gabapentin wont be so bad.  Some folks don't have much difficulty at all.  Warm hugs coming to you.  I know another taper is probably not something you are looking forward to but you can do it.  If you can do a Xanax taper, you can do a gabapentin taper.

Carita - you are one of the sweetest people on this board.  You always say such warm and comforting things.  I hope things are going OK for you.

So far I've only done 2 cuts.  Some tinnitus in both ears at times, but nothing too bad.  My sleep I think gets effected, but the Seroquel masks that a bit.  Feeling pretty stable, so I'm very grateful for that.

Hugs to all my fellow Xanax taperers and those who are done and still here encouraging us  :smitten:

Hi Rabbit,

IMO, my taper and withdrawal was brutal because I kindled for many years.  I was a long term user of a prescribed drug, and was never warned about the severe physical and emotional issues regarding withdrawal.  Hang in there!

Hey lol

most people around here taper 0.0625mg's every 1-2 weeks based on symptoms.  It can be done by cutting 0.25mg tabs into quarters.  Is your doc on board with tapering xanax for you?

Not possible. Can't find a doctor who will prescribe me xanax to get off of them because i'm a recovering drug addict.. Best thing I can get it xanax 1mg.. and break them in 4 pieces..

Hey lol

Not possible. Can't find a doctor who will prescribe me xanax to get off of them because i'm a recovering drug addict.. Best thing I can get it xanax 1mg.. and break them in 4 pieces..

I believe there is a way to do a liquid titration where you disolve the pills in liquid.  Also, some people around here that used the higher dosed pills were able to use scales to weigh out their doses.

It also depends on how long you were one them.  If you were on them for a shorter period of time you may be able to taper at a quicker rate.  But, it's best to have a Dr. atleast aware of what is going on I would think.

Hey lol

Hi There,

If you break the 1mg into 4 it will likely be very difficult to taper as the recommended cut is no more than 10% and that would be a 25% cut. If you can't get the smaller pills, you should consider either liquid titration (where you dissolve your pill into water and slowly reduce) or by using a jeweler's scale and crushing the pill into powder and weighing out small reductions. I used the water method and others here used the scale. Let us know your questions and we'll be happy to help! It would be helpful to know how long you have been using it.

Hopeful Girl

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [mc...]
    • [Ch...]
    • [In...]
    • [Re...]
    • [Sw...]
    • [Wh...]
    • [Ev...]
    • [Ab...]
    • [Le...]
    • [Be...]