Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

XANAX Support Blog: If you're tapering Xanax/alprazolam, join in the discussion!

[mr...]

Mrs.-Heal away! After that intensity comes relief and you'll see your progress! Hang on...you are in the home stretch!  :thumbsup:

Lacey-My energy was a 2 during tapering. It was about a 4 after I jumped and now is at about a 7-8 most days at 6 months out!!! I thought I'd never have energy or motivation again and now I do!

Love,

Hopeful Girl

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Be...]

• [mr...]

• [Ra...]

• [VC...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Mrs.-Heal away! After that intensity comes relief and you'll see your progress! Hang on...you are in the home stretch!  :thumbsup:

Lacey-My energy was a 2 during tapering. It was about a 4 after I jumped and now is at about a 7-8 most days at 6 months out!!! I thought I'd never have energy or motivation again and now I do!

Love,

Hopeful Girl

That is great news hopeful.  For, you, and for me, lol.

It's weird.  On Xanax I actually had decent enough energy.  It wasn't until tapering that energy levels went in the gutter.

I used Xanax for ten plus years. The energy decrease didn't happen overnight. The last few years just plain sucked, and I grew sick and tired of being sick and tired. Seriously.

I stayed in bed on the level two and three days which were thankfully very few and far between. I had to work and didn't have a choice most days and pushed myself even though I'd rather have stayed home.

I promise there's a great life ahead that you may have forgotten about.

Rabbit11; There's not much I can add to Lacey's reply on pill splitting. Please reread his sage advice. His method of dealing with unequal sizes perfectly mirrors my own experience during my tapering.

I'm delighted to hear it's going easy for you. I'll bet you'll be one of the lucky ones who has an easy time of this. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the reply TS.  Well I've only made 1 cut do far and it's only 2%.  I sure hope I'll be one of the lucky ones.  Are there really people who don't really have many symptoms?  Seems too good to be true.  If there is such a thing I hope I'm one of them. :smitten:

Mama2, HopefulGirl, VCharis, Babyrex, Chazin, Mrsalw, and everyone I didn't mention... I hope you're all feeling well and healing. Take care of yourselves.

Thanks TS; I'm still around; I am lurking whilst healing intensely  :thumbsup: Thank you for thinking of me :)

Mrs. :smitten:

Right there with you dear Mrs! Much of this journey for me is about accepting where I am...don't really want to be here, but it is what it is. Time is passing and I am healing! We all are! Thank goodness!

Love to all,

Carita

Had a p-doc appointment today.  Went well I think. Couple interesting things.

He wants me to work on deep breathing exercises.  Says that my autonomic nervous system is in overdrive, which results in anxiety.  Went into pretty deep detail about it (can explain if anyone wants), but basically breathing is the only thing in the autonomic nervous system that we can control, and by taking long deep breathes it sends a signal to the rest of the autonomic nervous system to slow down, and as it slows down, we don't feel as anxious (and all the negatives that come along with anxiety like fatigue, palpitations, racing heart, etc...).  Says that we are using an SSRI for now, but the goal is to get my nervous system under control through the use of an SSRI, and deep breathing, so that in the future medication will either not be needed, or needed less.

Also, he actually brought up Heather Ashton on his own, and was pretty against her.  He said that he's got tons of people off benzos in all his years as a P Doc (he's the reason I'm coming off as he's against benzo use), and there is a withdrawal stage, but it is nowhere near as long as she indicates, and does not require near as long of a taper based on his experience with patients coming off benzos.  Says that a lot of people coming off benzo's either are faced with their pre-existing anxiety issues, or may have inadvertently revved up their nervous system by using/withdrawaling from them which could create an anxiety issue.  In which case SSRI's, time, and deep breathing is used to get a persons sympathetic nervous system back under control.

Said I could slow down a bit with my taper if I want.

I'm in a bad wave guys.  This will end.

Lacey,

You are a short term user.  Just make the jump already.  And your P Doc is an asshole. 

Baby, I'm sorry you're in a wave.  I wished this healing thing was linear!  Many hugs sis  :smitten:

Lacey, my physcologist tried the breathing thing on me and told me my body had no choice but to 'slow down' when I breathed deeply and slowly.  Well maybe it works for some people, but in the midst of major anxiety, I couldn't even get my breathing under control for it to affect the rest of my body.  She basically told me I was either doing it wrong and implied it was my fault that technique didn't work for me.  Whatever.  I'm sure it does work for some and maybe if the anxiety isn't already through the roof, it works better, but I've never had much luck with it.  I'm glad if it works for you though.

Hugs!

I'm in a bad wave guys.  This will end.

Lacey,

You are a short term user.  Just make the jump already.  And your P Doc is an asshole.

Lol.  Unfortunately I don't have a heck of a lot of choice.  The last one was the one who put me on Xanax in the first place. At least this guy sees the problems with Xanax, and wants me off it.

Sorry to hear you are in a wave though, hope it passes soon for you.

Baby, I'm sorry you're in a wave.  I wished this healing thing was linear!  Many hugs sis  :smitten:

Lacey, my physcologist tried the breathing thing on me and told me my body had no choice but to 'slow down' when I breathed deeply and slowly.  Well maybe it works for some people, but in the midst of major anxiety, I couldn't even get my breathing under control for it to affect the rest of my body.  She basically told me I was either doing it wrong and implied it was my fault that technique didn't work for me.  Whatever.  I'm sure it does work for some and maybe if the anxiety isn't already through the roof, it works better, but I've never had much luck with it.  I'm glad if it works for you though.

Hugs!

Thanks Rabbit.  I have my reservations about if breathing is going to do anything, but I'm going to give it a shot at least. Basically he didn't tell me to do it when I'm in the middle of an anxious situation, but rather do it when I'm relaxed, and it should develop a bigger gap between where I sit baseline, and what it takes to get me stressed out (if that makes sense).

Lacey,

Your posts are upsetting me.  I was on this poison for years and I have suffered.  I don't believe anything your pill pusher told/sold you.  Your supposed "doctor" hasn't a clue.  And neither do you.  Just make that daring leap and be off.  :laugh:

You are experiencing mild anxiety/pain issues.  I honestly don't understand why it has taken your body and mind body to adjust.  Suck it up!  :) Anytime I feel better, I'm out of here...

You'll be fine, honey.

:smitten:

Hi There,

Baby-sorry you are in a bad wave. Hang in...you are an expert surfer.

Carita-thanks for thinking about me. I am still awfully sick. I tried to eat a little later and the heaving started again. I've had this for 6 days now and haven't been able to eat a meal. I think I'm turning the corner but then it flares back up again. It is scaring me because everyone keeps telling me it is only supposed to last 24-48 hours. I'm starting to get anxious that something else is wrong. My stomach hurts really bad. I had some tests at the big University Hospital here and am waiting results to make sure I don't have a bacterial infection or something else. Sure hope I get better soon!

Lastly, I have one more drug to taper called Gabapentin. It has a "benzo-like withdrawal" and I have been on it for over 8 years, 3 times per day everyday. It must be slowly tapered with the same rules as benzos. At times I can't believe I have to do another taper but it is what it is. It actually comes in a liquid form and today I got the script for it so that I can start tapering. I'm going to take it slow and steady. At the pace I am starting it could take 3 years-that won't work for me either but since I'm still healing from benzos at least I can start to drop the dose with hopefully not too much of an impact. I was thinkikng that if these drugs were as hard to get on as they are to get off none of us would be on them and have to go through this. I'm pretty scared...much more scared than the first time because now I know how bad it is. There is a thread on BB for people tapering this but it isn't very active so I'm going to be coming here for some support! Carita-I may be calling on you for some support too since you have already walked this path. I'm going to be starting as soon as I get over and recover from whatever bug I have now!

Thanks for letting me share and for listening! I take such comfort in knowing you are all here for my journey. I am continually amazed by your strength and courage.

Love,

Hopeful Girl

Lacey,

Your words, not mine:

Also, he actually brought up Heather Ashton on his own, and was pretty against her.  He said that he's got tons of people off benzos in all his years as a P Doc (he's the reason I'm coming off as he's against benzo use), and there is a withdrawal stage, but it is nowhere near as long as she indicates, and does not require near as long of a taper based on his experience with patients coming off benzos. 

So let's say, for the sake of argument,  I'm in agreement with your doctor.  Lacey, you were a a very short term user.  I need to understand why you are still here.  Just move on and heal my friend.  It is highly unlikely you will experience symptoms for a very long time.  And even if you do, they will be mild. 

Go back to your life lacey,

Lacey,

Your words, not mine:

Also, he actually brought up Heather Ashton on his own, and was pretty against her.  He said that he's got tons of people off benzos in all his years as a P Doc (he's the reason I'm coming off as he's against benzo use), and there is a withdrawal stage, but it is nowhere near as long as she indicates, and does not require near as long of a taper based on his experience with patients coming off benzos. 

So let's say, for the sake of argument,  I'm in agreement with your doctor.  Lacey, you were a a very short term user.  I need to understand why you are still here.  Just move on and heal my friend.  It is highly unlikely you will experience symptoms for a very long time.  And even if you do, they will be mild. 

Go back to your life lacey,

I have no idea if what the doctor said is true.  I'm just repeating what they told me to get peoples thoughts on it, as this is the only place in the world that I get to talk to other benzo users about benzo related issues like the one I had with my doctor today.

I've been on Xanax for 10 months.  That is short term, and you saying I should just quit, suck it up, and move on?  Where in the world do you get that I'm only experiencing "mild anxiety, and pain issues"?  I'm here because I'm currently having issues with benzo withdrawal and there are supportive people here that are encouraging.  Do you have a problem with that?  If not, what exactly is your problem?

Lacey,

You stated:

I have no idea if what the doctor said is true.  I'm just repeating what they told me to get peoples thoughts on it, as this is the only place in the world that I get to talk to other benzo users about benzo related issues like the one I had with my doctor today.

Homework is paramount.  Perhaps now should be the time to do some research regarding Benzodiazepine Withdrawal Syndrome. Here is a link to get you started:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzodiazepine_withdrawal_syndrome

Peace,

Lacey,

You stated:

Homework is paramount.  Perhaps now should be the time to do some research regarding Benzodiazepine Withdrawal Syndrome. Here is a link to get you started:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzodiazepine_withdrawal_syndrome

Peace,

Wikipedia? Really?

How about you go fuck yourself.

Hi Lacey,

For whatever it is worth, I think that your doctor sounds typical of many psychiatrists. Many of us know first hand that benzo w/d can be brutally painful and almost unbearably long. It hurts to the core to hear the "professionals" tell us this isn't real. However, not everyone experiences this and unfortunately the research isn't going to be funded by the drug companies to tell us why some of us have this horrible experience and others can discontinue with ease. As someone who has struggled beyond words, I can tell you it is very real and his perspective is very wrong. It is always better to go slow and safe than to create a bad situation for yourself. I so wish I would have known that before uninformed doctors put me on and tried to abruptly take me off this drug. I certainly have learned a lesson though!

I do think it is good that your doc is at least trying to get people off of benzos...I also think that it is good that he is teaching breathing exercises. It is true that once you are in a panic moment, it is hard to get a fast reaction just from breathing although it can help. Where breathing exercises can help is by consistent daily practice to help bring down the nervous system. After some time practicing this, it can be more effective when panic does  hit.

I hope that helps!

Warmly,

Hopeful Girl

Hi Lacey,

For whatever it is worth, I think that your doctor sounds typical of many psychiatrists. Many of us know first hand that benzo w/d can be brutally painful and almost unbearably long. It hurts to the core to hear the "professionals" tell us this isn't real. However, not everyone experiences this and unfortunately the research isn't going to be funded by the drug companies to tell us why some of us have this horrible experience and others can discontinue with ease. As someone who has struggled beyond words, I can tell you it is very real and his perspective is very wrong. It is always better to go slow and safe than to create a bad situation for yourself. I so wish I would have known that before uninformed doctors put me on and tried to abruptly take me off this drug. I certainly have learned a lesson though!

I do think it is good that your doc is at least trying to get people off of benzos...I also think that it is good that he is teaching breathing exercises. It is true that once you are in a panic moment, it is hard to get a fast reaction just from breathing although it can help. Where breathing exercises can help is by consistent daily practice to help bring down the nervous system. After some time practicing this, it can be more effective when panic does  hit.

I hope that helps!

Warmly,

Hopeful Girl

Thanks hopeful.

I hope these breathing exercises help the situation, so I'm going to give them a try. In all honesty I'm having a hard time seeing how breathing exercises will make a huge impact, but worth a shot imo. I know benzy swore by them when he was posting here.

I'm pretty peaved my last doctor put me on benzo's to sleep as well.  I'm atleast hopeful that I fall into the group that does alright getting off them, and I can get back to my life.  For now though, it's not a ton of fun.

Wow... Just WOW.

What happened to love and support I signed up for? This type of behavior is completely inappropriate for a board dedicated to helping people become benzo free.

Mission Statement

BenzoBuddies: an inclusive, nonjudgmental mutual-support environment for those who wish to withdraw from benzodiazepines.

Members of the BenzoBuddies community are encouraged to exchange ideas, information and support during the process of withdrawal and recovery.

Although outside of the immediate scope of BenzoBuddies, members are free to discuss their wider medical problems and needs as they relate to benzodiazepine use and withdrawal.

Taking or quitting any medicine—including benzodiazepines—should be a personal decision made in consultation with a suitably qualified medical practitioner.

Through a peer-support model, we strive to help members achieve their goals.

truesouth,  i agree i was REPRIMANDED here because i was argueing with someone who was discuing something that had nothing to do with medications

Unfortunately for me I made the mistake this passed Dec. to start 'up dosing' I was totally convinced that I was having interdosal withdrawals so I up dosed by 1 mg, which put me at 2 mg of Xanax 3X daily. After receiving my medical news in Jan. I 'up-dosed again by 1 mg which put me at 3 mg Xanax. Then in Feb. of this year I decided to change my dose to 4 mg 4X daily.( With the thought in mind about the Xanax being a short acting drug)

Around the last couple of weeks of Feb. I looked at my pills and was shocked realizing that I wouldn't have enough to get me through till my next 'script' was filled. I immediately dropped my dosage to .5 mg 4X a day. On March 6th my script was filled. I had read about 'substitution' on one of the other boards here. It said that 1 mg of Xanax was equivalent to 1 mg Klonopin.(According to the Ashton Manual)

Now mind you that I was on 4 mg's 4X a day. I was having some mild withdrawals having dropped from 4 mg 4X daily to 2 mg. I started taking .5 X + .5 K 4 times a day, substituting the .5 of klonopin for the .5 Xanax I was missing. The withdrawals completely vanished. I've been on this regimen for about a week or so. Now I realize that after a short time this dosage will quit working for me (as it always does) and it's time for action on my part. It is now time for me to start eliminating the Xanax. I'll start a Klonopin taper later on down the road.

I realize now that my mind can be my worst enemy, so now because of that fact, I have to taper 2 mg's of Xanax instead of one. A .0625 cut starting tomorrow, whatever happens happens, I'm ready to get off of this crap.

Blessings to all,                        PepsiMoon

PS My wife had booked a flight for us and the two kids to San Francisco for a week. The other day I had to tell her that I wouldn't be able to handle the flight, and all of the running around and such on the trip. She said that she understood my situation, but I could see the deep disappointment in her eyes, and that broke my heart.

Wikipedia? Really?

How about you go fuck yourself.

Lacey! We will not tolerate remarks like this towards members.  Our members deserve more respect! Please refrain from posting such comments moving forward.

•Be polite towards, and respectful of, your fellow Buddies. We do not tolerate attacks upon fellow members.

Rules and guidelines:

Magrita

Lacey! We will not tolerate remarks like this towards members.  Our members deserve more respect!

Respect?  I'm sorry but someone who just told me to "jump of xanax already", "suck it up", questioned why I'm posing here, and called my Dr a pill pusher(one that is trying to get me off of medications) does not deserve more respect. 

I've tried to be positive about my experience, and have relied on tons of great posters support, but am met with "Lacey your posts are upsetting me"?  If she showed me a little respect, I would reciprocate, but not after that. 

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [Bi...]
    • [...]
    • [je...]
    • [Ch...]
    • [TH...]
    • [...]
    • [Ch...]
    • [...]
    • [Je...]
    • [Ab...]
    • [ha...]