Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

XANAX Support Blog: If you're tapering Xanax/alprazolam, join in the discussion!

[mr...]

Rabbit,

Oh yes.  We did it together and I would not recommend it.  However, my husband had a much more manageable taper and was able to assist me.  The bonus?  We will both be free to live our lives as we did many years ago.  Nothing like getting off the "legal dope".  :)

:smitten:

That's kind of cool that you did it together.  What do you mean by him having a more manageable taper?

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Be...]

• [mr...]

• [Ra...]

• [VC...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Rabbit,

Oh yes.  We did it together and I would not recommend it.  However, my husband had a much more manageable taper and was able to assist me.  The bonus?  We will both be free to live our lives as we did many years ago.  Nothing like getting off the "legal dope".  :)

Hi Baby,

Do you mind if I ask why his taper was more manageable?

Thanks!

Perhaps I misspoke.  I should have said his withdrawal was more manageable.  Simply, he had a much easier time even though, for him, it had been difficult as well.  But now we have sort of "caught up" to each other, and we both are realizing improving baselines. 

Oh Lacey, be careful.  You've heard it over and over again here, slower = better, fast = BAD sxs.  Please think carefully about this.  It isn't a race, you want to stay manageable and safe.

Love,

Rabbit

Rabbit,

Hi Baby,

Thanks!

Perhaps I misspoke.  I should have said his withdrawal was more manageable.  Simply, he had a much easier time even though, for him, it had been difficult as well.  But now we have sort of "caught up" to each other, and we both are realizing improving baselines.

Baby, do you mean he had less symptoms than you did?  Did you w/d at the same rate from the same benzo?  Sorry for all the questions.  :smitten:

Oh Lacey, be careful.  You've heard it over and over again here, slower = better, fast = BAD sxs.  Please think carefully about this.  It isn't a race, you want to stay manageable and safe.

Love,

Rabbit

I appreciate the concern Rabbit, but I just want off these things to tell you the truth, and don't feel like sitting around waiting for my next dose, and worrying about tappering for another 7 weeks. 

In all honesty I don't think it is all that quick.  I was due to drop to . 375mg in a couple days anyways.  So, it's only .09375 reductions per week.  Maybe slightly quicker than some around here reduce, but also slower than most doctors recommend.

Rabbit,

Hi Baby,

Thanks!

Baby, do you mean he had less symptoms than you did?  Did you w/d at the same rate from the same benzo?  Sorry for all the questions.  :smitten:

Lacey,

What Rabbit said.

Rabbit,

Oh yes.  He was far more functional and had fewer symptoms.  Yes, he did have a difficult time but it was mostly a.m. anxiety and nerve pain.  He actually did a more aggressive taper than I.  But now we are about equal at 14 months so healing should progress about the same.  We are looking at July, 18 months, to really be back on our feet!  But it could come much sooner!

Yeah, starting out the day with anxiety is not to fun, YUCK!  I guess this is a good example of how different we all are.  I'm so glad you two are doing so much better  :smitten:

Baby...hubby is free now too?! That is wonderful! Congratulations to you both. Through sickness and in health...through benzo withdrawal and beyond. I hope it has made you closer and stronger.

So glad you are here a Baby :smitten: It's been a long haul and having friends who understand has been a lifesaver.

Love,

Carita

Carita,

You just reminded me to give hubby a kiss. 

I never would have made it without my friends..I am so happy you are here too! 

Took my new reduced dose last night, and this morning.  Feeling a little weird already, so I think this cut could hurt on day 4, but sure am glad to be getting close to the finish line.

Lacey23; Its your life and taper, and I support whatever you decide, and you know the potential pitfalls. I had a taper plan and I didnt always stick to it. I gave myself permission to hold a cut or speed up a cut, but wouldn't allow myself to back up or take a rescue dose. When you learn to listen to your body, you're way ahead of many other buddies.

Even the slowest taper is not with out it's problems and I know you'll be fine. You've got the right attitude and your previous cuts have been large and you've dealt with them well. I believe we heal on some level while tapering, but I don't think we experience real healing until we jump. You can do this!

HopefulGirl; you've always given me and many others hope. What a wonderful gift! Six months is an accomplishment of extreme magnitude. Sorry about your virus, but such is life. I've seen many friends come down with the flu or other crazy illnesses this season. Get well!

BabyRex; I tried not to complain too much or go into detail about my sxs during this whole process. Did I get strong withdrawals that made tapering hard? YES! I didn't allow those dark days to cloud my future and I focused on the positive things in life and my benzo free days ahead. I believe a positive attitude will carry you as far as you dream.

Your focus and direction matters. Focus on crap, you'll get crap. Focus on healing and feeling well, and it will happen. We can't change how we feel, but we can control how we react to negative things. I'm delighted you've chosen to focus your thoughts on feeling good.

Rabbit11; Are you feeling your first cut? It's not as bad as you'd imagined huh?! Hang in there. It's worth all your sacrifices to get to the finish line.

To everyone else... I hope your days and nights are spymtom free and you feel great. Don't get too far ahed of yourself. Stay focused on getting through today and tomorrow will take care of itself.

Lacey23; Its your life and taper, and I support whatever you decide, and you know the potential pitfalls. I had a taper plan and I didnt always stick to it. I gave myself permission to hold a cut or speed up a cut, but wouldn't allow myself to back up or take a rescue dose. When you learn to listen to your body, you're way ahead of many other buddies.

Even the slowest taper is not with out it's problems and I know you'll be fine. You've got the right attitude and your previous cuts have been large and you've dealt with them well. I believe we heal on some level while tapering, but I don't think we experience real healing until we jump. You can do this!

I kind of believe the same thing TS.  I'm sure there's some healing while tapering, but I feel if I can get off at a manageable level of symptoms then the real healing can begin. 

And, honestly even from a psychological standpoint I think I would benefit from not having to take this drug.  Currently I feel like a junkie waiting for his next fix of Xanax 3x a day.  I feel like I would benefit from not even thinking about Xanax anymore, and putting it behind me, which wont be the case till I stop taking the stuff 3x a day.

From here on out I will be doing 0.0625mg cuts to each of my doses at a time, and cutting the next one as soon as the symptoms are manageable.  Not going to be looking at the calender from here on out. 

TS- thank you for thinking of me.  Today is day 3 of my first cut and so far I don't feel anything.  It seems most folks feel their cuts on day 4 and beyond.  I didn't sleep real well last night but other than that all is ok.

I hope all's well with you.

Hugs,

Rabbit

Lacey, are you working?

I was in University, and working full time until 2 months ago, but taking some time off to deal with this.

That's part of the reason I want to go quickly.  I don't want to still be tapering when I go back to university in the summer.  I'de rather be 2-3 month post jump when I'm back to school, and then be 6 months post jump when I'm looking for a job in the fall. 

Only been on this reduced dose for 24 hours, and it's already turning into increased anxiety.  Kinda worried about this reduction.  Day 4 is not going to feel very well I'm guessing.

Only been on this reduced dose for 24 hours, and it's already turning into increased anxiety.  Kinda worried about this reduction.  Day 4 is not going to feel very well I'm guessing.

Sorry you are feeling bad, Lacey. The lower doses hit most the hardest. That won't necessarily be your story but just be aware. Take it from those of us who have lived through it! You'll get through though, no matter how you tackle it.

HG

Sorry you are feeling bad, Lacey. The lower doses hit most the hardest. That won't necessarily be your story but just be aware. Take it from those of us who have lived through it! You'll get through though, no matter how you tackle it.

HG

Yeah I can see that for sure.  Before I was reducing by .25mg, and this one was only .1375mg and way worse.  I'm hoping if I hold for a while it will get better.

Hi Lacey-

Where you are right now is tough...I jumped 28 days ago and I do have some hard days...but I can tell you that each day I was off got just a little bit better.  I have stepped back a couple of times.  But I'll take two steps forward and one step back over continuing sticking that poison in my mouth any longer than I absolutely had to.

Good luck.  I wish you the best.

Hi Lacey-

Where you are right now is tough...I jumped 28 days ago and I do have some hard days...but I can tell you that each day I was off got just a little bit better.  I have stepped back a couple of times.  But I'll take two steps forward and one step back over continuing sticking that poison in my mouth any longer than I absolutely had to.

Good luck.  I wish you the best.

Thanks very much Chazin.  Seems like time is what it takes with this process.

Other than my initial 50% cut, the toughest cut I experienced was my next to the last. It was a mere .065, but I was symptomatic from day one of that cut all the way though day ten. I thought about holding and stabilizing, but moved forward and almost immediately felt better on day one of my last cut. This stuff is weird and unpredictable.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [...]
    • [De...]
    • [Ab...]
    • [Mo...]
    • [Ch...]
    • [El...]
    • [Oc...]
    • [...]
    • [Ch...]
    • [vi...]
    • [...]