Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

XANAX Support Blog: If you're tapering Xanax/alprazolam, join in the discussion!

[mr...]

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Be...]

• [mr...]

• [Ra...]

• [VC...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting views on the differences between how men and women respond to benzo withdrawal and jumping. It's an interesting subject and I thank each one of you for sharing your thoughts!

I know for certain women are more in touch with their emotional and physical feelings than men, so perhaps that's it? As far as pain management, I believe there's a reason women have babies rather than men. I'm of the opinion women can deal better with some types of pain and stress better than men. I'm not trying to say one sex is somehow better than the other, but I think we must admit men and women are different, and I suspect we're also different in how we approach and experience this life event.

I only know if I can do this, anyone of you can!

A man goes to the doctor and tells him that he hasn't been feeling well.

The doctor examines him, leaves the room and comes back with a bottles of pills. The doctor says, "Take the one pill with a big glass of water when you get up. Take the another with a big glass of water after lunch. Then just before going to bed, take one more pill with another big glass of water."

Startled to be put on so much medicine the man stammers, "Jeez doc, exactly what's my problem?"

The Doctor says, "You're not drinking enough water."

A man goes to the doctor and tells him that he hasn't been feeling well.

The doctor examines him, leaves the room and comes back with a bottles of pills. The doctor says, "Take the one pill with a big glass of water when you get up. Take the another with a big glass of water after lunch. Then just before going to bed, take one more pill with another big glass of water."

Startled to be put on so much medicine the man stammers, "Jeez doc, exactly what's my problem?"

The Doctor says, "You're not drinking enough water."

Ha!

Thanks Lacey. I needed that :)  :laugh:

Alright, so it's been 96 hours since my last big dose reduction, and had no real worrying increase in symptoms.  Really hoping I can make it through the next couple days without getting kicked in the ass.  If I can, I only have 1 more 'big' decrease in dosage planned in 3 days.  After that I will be stepping down to smaller 0.0625 reductions.  Hopefully smooth sailing, but gotta make sure I'm ok for the next few days before getting ahead of myself too much.  Have my eyes on being off in 7 weeks.

The only worrying thing is, I don't really have enough of the .25mg pills to taper at that slower rate, so I'll need my Dr. to script some more xanax.  Hopefully he's cool with that.  Doubt I can cut these bigger .5mg pills I have on hand down to .0625mg sizes.

The last 4 days or so I've been forcing myself to get in some light cardio as well.  Nothing over exerting, but just the elyptical machine mixed with some relaxing music to take my mind off of things.  Feel like it helps a bit. 

I was only dosing once at night, and the first two days of a cut I had difficulty sleeping. After that, day four was typically when I'd "feel" a cut. By day ten, I'd be feeling good again and ready to cut and repeat the cycle again.

You're powering through your taper, and I think you're wise to slow down towards the end. My doctor was very agreeable to providing me with smaller dosage pills. The .25 are very easy to dry cut. Of course there are usually uneven pieces, and I'd begin my new cut with the larger pieces and use the smaller pieces later in that cut.

You're doing great!

I was only dosing once at night, and the first two days of a cut I had difficulty sleeping. After that, day four was typically when I'd "feel" a cut. By day ten, I'd be feeling good again and ready to cut and repeat the cycle again.

You're powering through your taper, and I think you're wise to slow down towards the end. My doctor was very agreeable to providing me with smaller dosage pills. The .25 are very easy to dry cut. Of course there are usually uneven pieces, and I'd begin my new cut with the larger pieces and use the smaller pieces later in that cut.

You're doing great!

Thanks a lot TS.

I wish I could wait 10 days between reductions, but my doc wants me off of this stuff kinda quick-ish so don't have a lot of choice other than to power through, haha. 

Fortunately, I've been moving at a rate that is a little quicker than he recommended, so I've bought myself a little bit of time to slow down at the end, and still be off within his time frame.

I've done a similar thing with bigger pieces and smaller pieces.  Actually I broke out a nail file, and filed a bunch down as well.  Benzo problems....

One of my only regrets was not creating my own blog to keep track of my journey. Good job!  :thumbsup:

Thanks TS, I figure it will be a good way to track the next 50 days till I'm benzo free.  Hopefully everything keeps going well and it can give some others some hope.

Hi VC,

I dosed 4 times per day but did not do this during the night. If I set an alarm and wake up in the night, I can't go back to sleep and sleep is precious during w/d in particular so I dosed 4 times just during waking hours and it worked well for me. Also, I didn't start out with equal doses and I'm benzo free so it can be done.  :thumbsup: Let me know if you have any questions about this!

Warmly,

Hopeful Girl

Thank you, Hopeful Girl! I do have questions but that encourages me! If you (or anyone else) can address my concerns below in any way, I'd be most thankful. :thumbsup: I apologize for getting rambly in places...

I realize it's better to dose q6hrs, but since only sleeping from 12:30-1 am to 5:30 most nights, I'm still sleep deprived. I set alarm for 5:30 for thyroid pills; rarely fall back asleep, then it's time for xanax again at 7 am! I'm WORN OUT from this - that's why I'm carefully re-evaluating my schedule again. The added complication is that my thyroid pills need to be spaced APART from other meds or food. Trying to work around that.

Another factor: Told several times to 'even up' doses to 25mg x 4. Looks good on paper and suits everyone else but overlooks the primary reason I'm even taking a benzo - for SLEEP. Thus, larger bedtime dose. And why would I updose if my current dose seems to be working okay? I'm not sure - but it seems my CNS is calmer than two months ago. Why on God's green earth would I updose just to make the taper easier? Weighing all the pros and cons this morning. 

I honestly would not updose in your situation. I am pretty anti-updosing though  :) I went one direction and that was down in dose. I do understand though that certain circumstances warrant this so no judgement there. Just what I did. The larger dose at night makes sense from my personal perspective.

Hopeful Girl, did you deal with nervous system fragility? Or is that mostly a problem with people like me who didn't take their xanax regularly? 

Yes, my nervous system was and still is extremely frail. It is getting better everyday but during my taper and pre taper when I was unknowingly in tolerance w/d it was a mess. Just remember it does get better.

Observation: My nervous system seems calmer when I'm sleeping better. Yet when I don't sleep or only sleep 3-4 hrs., then complain of SXs, I'm told it's interdose w/d. If this was true interdose w/d, would sleep improve that?? My worrisome SXs include adrenaline surges w/elevated BP and irregular heartbeats. The rest I can deal with. I had NO BP surges or irregularities with my heart yesterday after sleeping a total of 8 hours, finally. But sleeping that well is a rarity. I rarely get anxious between doses, but sometimes I do feel twitchy/nervous.

This all sounds right. Getting sleep allows the body to heal. It is the time that our body uses to heal that vulnerable nervous system. Benzos or not, lack of sleep can make anyone feel awful. I would expect your symptoms to be less with good rest. I had the adrenaline surges and irregular heartbeats as well and they are just yuck!

I love NFM's idea of moving 0.125mg from my bedtime dose to make a 4th daytime dose. That's what I was planning. But having trouble cutting my 0.5mg pills equally. Hope I can sleep on 0.375mg. Worried it'll lose its effectiveness soon.

Have you tried any natural supplements to help with sleep. I'd recommend finding something that works for you so that as your dose decreases you can have that support. I'm happy to share what I know.

How was your sleep during taper, Hopeful Girl?  Did you move from dry cutting to L/T at a certain point? If so, how long did you just hang at the same dose (liquid version) before actually beginning starting to titrate your doses after that? I'm amazed at your progress and recovery! Very inspiring.

My sleep was really bad for a good while...really during acute w/d. I had about 3 months of just awful nights but it did end. I did move from dry cutting to L/T when my dose got small and I knew it was too early to jump. I switched to liquid and then just stayed there for about 1 week before beginning to cut. I adjusted to the liquid very quickly. I am amazed at my progress and recovery as well  ;) It has been a journey unlike any other.

What about this schedule? It's still wonky:

0.125mg @ 7am

0.125mg @ 1pm

0.125mg @ 7pm

0.5mg @ 11pm

That's 8 hrs. at night, 6 hrs during day, but 4 hrs between 7 & 11 pm. Not sure that's the best I can come up with...see what I mean?...so tired of thinking about it...maybe I should go 12-6-12-6 and forget about ever sleeping.....sigh.

I think this looks good. I would not do the 12-6-12-5 thing if it is going to mean not sleeping. I knew that would be worse for me than waking up jittery in the morning due to interdose issues.

Thanks so much!

VCharis  :smitten:

Hi VC,

I somehow missed this response and just saw it when looking for something else. I wrote my answers in purple above. I hope it is helpful. Let me know if you have other questions!

Warmly,

HG

Hi Hopeful,

How are you doing now? 

Got hit with a nasty wave after I ate some Doritos last night during the Oscars.  It's finally leveling off and I'll need to pay more attention to the MSG. 

:smitten:

Hopeful Girl! Thank you!  :angel: I just got online real quick to check messages before heading to bed. Rough day after little sleep last night...been really down. I'll read your note again tomorrow and get back with you. Hope you're doing well today. Appreciate your support and interested to hear what sleep aids have helped you. I'm definitely taking magnesium, sometimes melatonin, but little else.  :smitten:

Hugs,

VC

Hi all. Very new to this and very confused about best way to taper.  Also confused about using the forum, but it's fantastic to have you all there.  Just changed from haphazard mix of Benzos  (mainly Xanax) difficult to know how to start.  Took 2x10 mg Diazepam yesterday.  10 mg this morning.  Coping so far but advice on how soon to cut dose and how much would be great.  Huge thank you to you all for being there

Hi all. Very new to this and very confused about best way to taper.  Also confused about using the forum, but it's fantastic to have you all there.  Just changed from haphazard mix of Benzos  (mainly Xanax) difficult to know how to start.  Took 2x10 mg Diazepam yesterday.  10 mg this morning.  Coping so far but advice on how soon to cut dose and how much would be great.  Huge thank you to you all for being there

Hi Millie,

I have no experience in tapering diazepam/valium, but I do know that it is often advised to hold a while (1-3 weeks) when you do a 'crossover' to another benzo. Diazepam/valium has a much longer half life than most other benzos too, so I've heard it takes a bit for it to build up in your system.

Don't necessarily feel like you need to take my advice on it, though, as I said, I have no experience with valium :P:D  The support group for valium/ diazepam is found here: http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=96753.0  They might be able to give you better advice on what to do from here :)

Feel free to stick around here for the whitty banter and xanny support of course! Hope this helps you.

Mrs. :smitten:

Welcome Millie55.  You will get the hang of the forum eventually.

Was diazepam in the "haphazard mix" of benzos that you were previously using?  The reason I ask is that if for example, you were dependent upon so many Mgs of Xanax per day and you abruptly switched to Valium without slowly crossing over to the new medicine, this could produce some very uncomfortable symptoms.  Valium is not an instantly working benzo in the same manner that Xanax is, Valium takes time, (up to 2-weeks), to build up in our systems to reach what is known as a steady state.  Valium's metabolites are deposited in our tissues over a period of time and are then slowly released back into our system.  This is the mechanism of how Valium has such a long half life as opposed to Xanax which goes in and very quickly out of our system.

The people who post in this section are tapering from Xanax.  Most of us decided to stick with our original benzo for our tapers.

Do you have a doctor who is helping you?

...Got hit with a nasty wave after I ate some Doritos last night during the Oscars.  It's finally leveling off and I'll need to pay more attention to the MSG...

Who outside our forum would believe this is even possible!? Our personal physicians? HA!

There's not much that surprises me about this poison anymore. Hope you're feeling better today. :smitten:

...Got hit with a nasty wave after I ate some Doritos last night during the Oscars.  It's finally leveling off and I'll need to pay more attention to the MSG...

Who outside our forum would believe this is even possible!? Our personal physicians? HA!

There's not much that surprises me about this poison anymore. Hope you're feeling better today. :smitten:

Here is another one for you.  I got hit with a wave from taking an Epsom salt bath.

Mama2

Hi all. Very new to this and very confused about best way to taper.  Also confused about using the forum, but it's fantastic to have you all there.  Just changed from haphazard mix of Benzos  (mainly Xanax) difficult to know how to start.  Took 2x10 mg Diazepam yesterday.  10 mg this morning.  Coping so far but advice on how soon to cut dose and how much would be great.  Huge thank you to you all for being there.

A big welcome to the forum Millie!

Don't worry, there's a huge amount of information to absorb. I was overwhelmed when I first joined, and I had a hard time navigating the forum. It gets easier... I promise. Anyone who joins us has a strong desire to become benzo free. You've already begun your journey by virtue of being here.

There's no "best way" to taper. The various methods with their pros and cons must be carefully weighed before you make a decision. Whichever method you decide is right for you, take it slow and know there will be support here.  :thumbsup:

Mama2; Sometimes when I take a long, hot, Epson salt bath, my heart goes crazy. Strong, rapid beating that makes me realize I've still got some healing to do. I'm not sure if it's the salt, the hot water, or a combination of the two. Weird, but I accept it even though I don't like it.

Wondering what everybody's thoughts are on this.

I've been feeling a desire to speed up my taper.  Should I?

On one hand, things have been going fine so far.  For example, today is day 6 since my last cut, I'm doing fine, and I kind of want to start my new cuts today instead of waiting till tommorow. On the other hand, if I taper too fast it is possible I end up being stuck feeling crappy, and need to hold for a while or updose.

Is this a good rule? : if you are feeling fine, continue cutting.

Meaning, I'm feeling fine now.  I've waited long enough to feel potential withdrawal side effects (past 4 days), so go ahead and make another cut. 

Mama2; Sometimes when I take a long, hot, Epson salt bath, my heart goes crazy. Strong, rapid beating that makes me realize I've still got some healing to do. I'm not sure if it's the salt, the hot water, or a combination of the two. Weird, but I accept it even though I don't like it.

My heart went crazy too, and usually I don't have any issues with my heart.  I understand that the baths can cause you to be dehydrated.  I won't be taking any more of them.

Mama2

Hi VC,

I dosed 4 times per day but did not do this during the night. If I set an alarm and wake up in the night, I can't go back to sleep and sleep is precious during w/d in particular so I dosed 4 times just during waking hours and it worked well for me. Also, I didn't start out with equal doses and I'm benzo free so it can be done.  :thumbsup: Let me know if you have any questions about this!

Warmly,

Hopeful Girl

Thank you, Hopeful Girl! I do have questions but that encourages me! If you (or anyone else) can address my concerns below in any way, I'd be most thankful. :thumbsup: I apologize for getting rambly in places...

I realize it's better to dose q6hrs, but since only sleeping from 12:30-1 am to 5:30 most nights, I'm still sleep deprived. I set alarm for 5:30 for thyroid pills; rarely fall back asleep, then it's time for xanax again at 7 am! I'm WORN OUT from this - that's why I'm carefully re-evaluating my schedule again. The added complication is that my thyroid pills need to be spaced APART from other meds or food. Trying to work around that.

Another factor: Told several times to 'even up' doses to 25mg x 4. Looks good on paper and suits everyone else but overlooks the primary reason I'm even taking a benzo - for SLEEP. Thus, larger bedtime dose. And why would I updose if my current dose seems to be working okay? I'm not sure - but it seems my CNS is calmer than two months ago. Why on God's green earth would I updose just to make the taper easier? Weighing all the pros and cons this morning. 

I honestly would not updose in your situation. I am pretty anti-updosing though  :) I went one direction and that was down in dose. I do understand though that certain circumstances warrant this so no judgement there. Just what I did. The larger dose at night makes sense from my personal perspective.

Hopeful Girl, did you deal with nervous system fragility? Or is that mostly a problem with people like me who didn't take their xanax regularly?

Yes, my nervous system was and still is extremely frail. It is getting better everyday but during my taper and pre taper when I was unknowingly in tolerance w/d it was a mess. Just remember it does get better.

Observation: My nervous system seems calmer when I'm sleeping better. Yet when I don't sleep or only sleep 3-4 hrs., then complain of SXs, I'm told it's interdose w/d. If this was true interdose w/d, would sleep improve that?? My worrisome SXs include adrenaline surges w/elevated BP and irregular heartbeats. The rest I can deal with. I had NO BP surges or irregularities with my heart yesterday after sleeping a total of 8 hours, finally. But sleeping that well is a rarity. I rarely get anxious between doses, but sometimes I do feel twitchy/nervous.

This all sounds right. Getting sleep allows the body to heal. It is the time that our body uses to heal that vulnerable nervous system. Benzos or not, lack of sleep can make anyone feel awful. I would expect your symptoms to be less with good rest. I had the adrenaline surges and irregular heartbeats as well and they are just yuck!

I love NFM's idea of moving 0.125mg from my bedtime dose to make a 4th daytime dose. That's what I was planning. But having trouble cutting my 0.5mg pills equally. Hope I can sleep on 0.375mg. Worried it'll lose its effectiveness soon.

Have you tried any natural supplements to help with sleep. I'd recommend finding something that works for you so that as your dose decreases you can have that support. I'm happy to share what I know.

How was your sleep during taper, Hopeful Girl?  Did you move from dry cutting to L/T at a certain point? If so, how long did you just hang at the same dose (liquid version) before actually beginning starting to titrate your doses after that? I'm amazed at your progress and recovery! Very inspiring.

My sleep was really bad for a good while...really during acute w/d. I had about 3 months of just awful nights but it did end. I did move from dry cutting to L/T when my dose got small and I knew it was too early to jump. I switched to liquid and then just stayed there for about 1 week before beginning to cut. I adjusted to the liquid very quickly. I am amazed at my progress and recovery as well  ;) It has been a journey unlike any other.

What about this schedule? It's still wonky:

0.125mg @ 7am

0.125mg @ 1pm

0.125mg @ 7pm

0.5mg @ 11pm

That's 8 hrs. at night, 6 hrs during day, but 4 hrs between 7 & 11 pm. Not sure that's the best I can come up with...see what I mean?...so tired of thinking about it...maybe I should go 12-6-12-6 and forget about ever sleeping.....sigh.

I think this looks good. I would not do the 12-6-12-5 thing if it is going to mean not sleeping. I knew that would be worse for me than waking up jittery in the morning due to interdose issues.

Thanks so much!

VCharis  :smitten:

Hi VC,

I somehow missed this response and just saw it when looking for something else. I wrote my answers in purple above. I hope it is helpful. Let me know if you have other questions!

Warmly,

HG

Hopeful Girl, thanks again. Slept better last night but having surges for 3 hours now -feel like a mess again. How long is this gonna go on? Been taking 3 regular doses since Jan. 13th, and felt some better for awhile. Since stopping a supplement that was helping me, I now am getting more surges.

Oh - and I meant to put "0.375mg" as the reduced amount on that last 11pm dosage (if carrying over 0.125mg at a 4th dose). Paralyzed to change anything when I get the BP/heart stuff.

If you have sleep remedies, I'm all ears. Maybe stable is a relative term, but did you wait to feel stable before tapering and reducing along the way? Or was it just a rough ride all the way down? (cringing).

Hugs,

VC

You've really powered through your taper Lacey23. I'm impressed.

Others will probably disagree, but it's your taper and if you're ready, don't let a calendar rule and dictate your plan. If your body and mind say it's time, listen and act accordingly. You're inspiring!

TS,

In the back of my mind, I think I wanted to try the MSG experiment.  Hold the darn Chinese food!  :laugh: 

Yes, today was a much better,  but I won't dismiss the idea of glutamate storms anymore.  Ouch!

:smitten:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [...]
    • [Tr...]
    • [da...]
    • [Sl...]
    • [Mo...]
    • [jo...]
    • [De...]
    • [...]
    • [Ab...]
    • [Ch...]