Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

XANAX Support Blog: If you're tapering Xanax/alprazolam, join in the discussion!

[mr...]

V - I wished I could help or someone would come on to give you advice.  This thread has really been dying lately. :-[

It's times like this that I wish I had experience with multiple doses.  :(

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Be...]

• [mr...]

• [Ra...]

• [VC...]

Top Posters In This Topic

V - I wished I could help or someone would come on to give you advice.  This thread has really been dying lately. :-[

It's times like this that I wish I had experience with multiple doses.  :(

aw, thanks so much, Juliea and Rabbit. Somehow I will figure it out. Your support is so appreciated!

G'mornin' my BB pals. Hope everyone is hanging in there... :smitten:

I'm still trying to figure out how to add my 4th dose without throwing my schedule out of whack. Following your posts and updates - very encouraged by the healing I see.

Catch you later  :thumbsup:

VC

I took Xanax multiple times daily.  Your taper schedule is:

7 am.    .125

3 pm.    .125

11 pm.  . 50

.75 mg Xanax every 8 hours, 3 times per day.

You could also  dose every 6 hours 4 times a day.

11 pm  .375

5 am.  .125

11 am.  .125

5 pm.  .125

.75 mg Xanax every 6 hours.  4 time's per day.

Remember any changes to your taper schedule is considered a dose reduction until you

are stable.  Taking Xanax closer can help you with any interdose

symptoms if that is an issue.

Notforme

I'm still trying to figure out how to add my 4th dose without throwing my schedule out of whack. Following your posts and updates - very encouraged by the healing I see.

VC

7 am.    .125

3 pm.    .125

11 pm.  . 50

11 pm  .375

5 am.  .125

11 am.  .125

5 pm.  .125

Remember any changes to your taper schedule is considered a dose reduction until you

Notforme

Thanks, NFM. I remember we discussed this before, I'm totally game. But my lingering issues are 1) not wanting to set yet another early morning alarm for xanax when I'm already waking at 5:30AM for thyroid - and they can't be taken together due to absorption issues, and 2) People keep telling me I can't have a successful taper with unequal doses. Frustrating.

So I'm tinkering with my schedule. Thought about going longer at night and every 6hrs during daytime hours. Would that work? Since the bedtime dose is so much larger? Would it last a little longer?

Also my BP dropped to 87/55 last night after my bedtime dose, melatonin, and adrenal cocktail (sea salt, cream of tartar, and vit. C). That's my record lowest! I'm on a heart pill but my BP has never dropped below 96/60 at bedtime. 

VC

7 am.    .125

3 pm.    .125

11 pm.  . 50

11 pm  .375

5 am.  .125

11 am.  .125

5 pm.  .125

Notforme

Thanks, NFM. I remember we discussed this before, I'm totally game. But my lingering issues are 1) not wanting to set yet another early morning alarm for xanax when I'm already waking at 5:30AM for thyroid - and they can't be taken together due to absorption issues, and 2) People keep telling me I can't have a successful taper with unequal doses. Frustrating.

So I'm tinkering with my schedule. Thought about going longer at night and every 6hrs during daytime hours. Would that work? Since the bedtime dose is so much larger? Would it last a little longer?

Also my BP dropped to 87/55 last night after my bedtime dose, melatonin, and adrenal cocktail (sea salt, cream of tartar, and vit. C). That's my record lowest! I'm on a heart pill but my BP has never dropped below 96/60 at bedtime.

Hi VC,

I dosed 4 times per day but did not do this during the night. If I set an alarm and wake up in the night, I can't go back to sleep and sleep is precious during w/d in particular so I dosed 4 times just during waking hours and it worked well for me. Also, I didn't start out with equal doses and I'm benzo free so it can be done.  :thumbsup: Let me know if you have any questions about this!

Warmly,

Hopeful Girl

Just wanted to say hi to everyone. I'm so proud of all of us! Reading your posts gives me strength for today. We are healing. Everyday. When I was at my worst I'd say out loud over and over..."Hmmm. So this is what healing feels like!" It helped me through some dark nights.

Love,

Hopeful Girl

Hi right back,

I read posts from people that need to "take a break" from BB's.  Wow!  The support here is what has gotten me through my darkest moments.  Because many of us were sick from tolerance withdrawal for years, it was hard to imagine what normal even felt like. 

Hopeful, I didn't know who I was anymore.  I knew I was very, very sick, but I had no idea why.  For some of us, this second chance has given new meaning to our lives.  And I know you are one to be grateful.

:smitten:

Hi Baby,

I didn't know who I was anymore either. We had some similarities in our experience. It is a second chance and there is new meaning. I am so grateful and I am so blessed!

Love to you,

Hopeful Girl

Hi VC,

I dosed 4 times per day but did not do this during the night. If I set an alarm and wake up in the night, I can't go back to sleep and sleep is precious during w/d in particular so I dosed 4 times just during waking hours and it worked well for me. Also, I didn't start out with equal doses and I'm benzo free so it can be done.  :thumbsup: Let me know if you have any questions about this!

Warmly,

Hopeful Girl

Thank you, Hopeful Girl! I do have questions but that encourages me! If you (or anyone else) can address my concerns below in any way, I'd be most thankful. :thumbsup: I apologize for getting rambly in places...

I realize it's better to dose q6hrs, but since only sleeping from 12:30-1 am to 5:30 most nights, I'm still sleep deprived. I set alarm for 5:30 for thyroid pills; rarely fall back asleep, then it's time for xanax again at 7 am! I'm WORN OUT from this - that's why I'm carefully re-evaluating my schedule again. The added complication is that my thyroid pills need to be spaced APART from other meds or food. Trying to work around that.

Another factor: Told several times to 'even up' doses to 25mg x 4. Looks good on paper and suits everyone else but overlooks the primary reason I'm even taking a benzo - for SLEEP. Thus, larger bedtime dose. And why would I updose if my current dose seems to be working okay? I'm not sure - but it seems my CNS is calmer than two months ago. Why on God's green earth would I updose just to make the taper easier? Weighing all the pros and cons this morning. 

Hopeful Girl, did you deal with nervous system fragility? Or is that mostly a problem with people like me who didn't take their xanax regularly? 

Observation: My nervous system seems calmer when I'm sleeping better. Yet when I don't sleep or only sleep 3-4 hrs., then complain of SXs, I'm told it's interdose w/d. If this was true interdose w/d, would sleep improve that?? My worrisome SXs include adrenaline surges w/elevated BP and irregular heartbeats. The rest I can deal with. I had NO BP surges or irregularities with my heart yesterday after sleeping a total of 8 hours, finally. But sleeping that well is a rarity. I rarely get anxious between doses, but sometimes I do feel twitchy/nervous.

I love NFM's idea of moving 0.125mg from my bedtime dose to make a 4th daytime dose. That's what I was planning. But having trouble cutting my 0.5mg pills equally. Hope I can sleep on 0.375mg. Worried it'll lose its effectiveness soon.

How was your sleep during taper, Hopeful Girl?  Did you move from dry cutting to L/T at a certain point? If so, how long did you just hang at the same dose (liquid version) before actually beginning starting to titrate your doses after that? I'm amazed at your progress and recovery! Very inspiring.

What about this schedule? It's still wonky:

0.125mg @ 7am

0.125mg @ 1pm

0.125mg @ 7pm

0.5mg @ 11pm

That's 8 hrs. at night, 6 hrs during day, but 4 hrs between 7 & 11 pm. Not sure that's the best I can come up with...see what I mean?...so tired of thinking about it...maybe I should go 12-6-12-6 and forget about ever sleeping.....sigh.

Thanks so much!

VCharis  :smitten:

If I introduce my 4th dose today, do I just add my 1pm & 7 pm doses (0.125mg each) and reduce my bedtime dose tonight to 0.375mg? Already took 7 am dose, of course.

Sorry for all the questions.

VC, people like Julia only dosed once per day.  I don't see any reason why your proposed schedule wouldn't work.  You could still keep your bedtime dose a little higher.  I think I've seen other people who have done that.  I also don't know that your doses have to be exactly equally spaced apart to the exact hour.  It' whatever works for you.  I think you should try it and see what happens.  You're still taking the same amount each day and adding in that 4th dose might be very helpful.

Sleep is So important.  You need to do what you can to get sleep.  I know if I had to set an alarm to take a pill, the adrenaline of the alarm going off, I don't think I'd get to sleep again, so that option would definitely be out for me.

Just my thoughts  :smitten:

Hang in there sweetie, you're doing great!

VC, people like Julia only dosed once per day.  I don't see any reason why your proposed schedule wouldn't work.  You could still keep your bedtime dose a little higher.  I think I've seen other people who have done that.  I also don't know that your doses have to be exactly equally spaced apart to the exact hour.  It' whatever works for you.  I think you should try it and see what happens.  You're still taking the same amount each day and adding in that 4th dose might be very helpful.

Sleep is So important.  You need to do what you can to get sleep.  I know if I had to set an alarm to take a pill, the adrenaline of the alarm going off, I don't think I'd get to sleep again, so that option would definitely be out for me.

Just my thoughts  :smitten:

Hang in there sweetie, you're doing great!

Thank you, Rabbit. Encouragement helps whenever we're facing a change and feeling unsure of the next step, so I appreciate that. I've seen others who did well this way, also, and so I'm slow to jump to every suggestion until i've weighed pros and cons. I set my phone alarm to a very soft instrumental...so at least it doesn't jolt me awake, but waking up at all usually means I can't get back to sleep. Oh, girl, I wish I'd stayed on my Seroquel until I was benzo-free. I did it backwards. 

Hi V,  I totally understand your reluctance to jump and try every suggestion. You've had a heck of  a time getting stable.  I'm absolutely convinced that sleep plays such a big role in stability.

The Seroquel isn't a perfect solution obviously, but it has stabilized me to a great degree. Helping with sleep and I just don't have the chest tightening and heart palps anymore since starting the Seroquel.  I still remain so unmotivated to do much of anything, but I don't know if that's the Seroquel or just me being depressed over having to do this taper.  I know I can't avoid it, but it's scary getting started.

Hugs and prayers to you my sweet friend,

Rabbit

Hi V,  I totally understand your reluctance to jump and try every suggestion. You've had a heck of  a time getting stable.  I'm absolutely convinced that sleep plays such a big role in stability.

The Seroquel isn't a perfect solution obviously, but it has stabilized me to a great degree. Helping with sleep and I just don't have the chest tightening and heart palps anymore since starting the Seroquel.  I still remain so unmotivated to do much of anything, but I don't know if that's the Seroquel or just me being depressed over having to do this taper.  I know I can't avoid it, but it's scary getting started.

Hugs and prayers to you my sweet friend,

Rabbit

I recently added a bit of seroquel to help sleep as well.  Between 12.5mg seroquel, some melatonin, and .25mg of xanax at night I seem to be able to get to sleep. 

I too have no motivation to do anything.  Energy levels are in the tank right now.  Think it has more to do with xanax tapering than the other meds though.

Yeah, Rabbit & Lacey, I have no motivation, either. In fact, it's scary. I dont think I can add Seroquel back, though - it's contraindicated with the heart pill I'm on. So I'm feeling hopeless about sleep getting any better anytime soon. Glad you're both able to sleep, though. Gosh, I sound gloomy today - sorry. Think I just need sleep! It's been one of those days. A little boy outside my house is shooting basketball hoops, and while I'm glad he's having fun, the noise from the ball repeatedly pounding the pavement is about to DRIVE ME BONKERS!!  :crazy:

Rabbit, sounds like Seroquel will really help you through this taper whenever you begin!

Lacey, I hear you on the energy levels...it'll return once we're off this benzo stuff.

Yeah, Rabbit & Lacey, I have no motivation, either. In fact, it's scary. I dont think I can add Seroquel back, though - it's contraindicated with the heart pill I'm on. So I'm feeling hopeless about sleep getting any better anytime soon. Glad you're both able to sleep, though. Gosh, I sound gloomy today - sorry. Think I just need sleep! It's been one of those days. A little boy outside my house is shooting basketball hoops, and while I'm glad he's having fun, the noise from the ball repeatedly pounding the pavement is about to DRIVE ME BONKERS!!  :crazy:

Rabbit, sounds like Seroquel will really help you through this taper whenever you begin!

Lacey, I hear you on the energy levels...it'll return once we're off this benzo stuff.

yeah, the lack of motivation and energy is probably my most annoying WD symptom right now.  I have a feeling it got worse when I added a day time dose of xanax.  I dunno what to think about it, but I'm optimistic that after getting off of these pills it will resolve itself afterwards. Hopefully only a couple more months on this stuff.

I'm kind of irritable too at this point, lol

Lacey23: Low energy levels are probably a result of your taper. Been there done that, got the T-shirt.

Sadly it's part of sxs but like all the negative things in our tapers, it gets better.

My Xanax use was for sleep and I took a single nightly dose. I can't imagine splitting that up during the day, but what worked for me may not be the right thing for others.

I remember wanting definite answers for many aspects of my taper and jump, but the truth is we're all different. My symptoms and their severity or lack of symptoms didn't exactly mirror everyone else's. It took me a while before I truly accepted how differently all of us experience the process of becoming benzo free.

I was most concerned about sleep, and I discovered the first two days of my cuts were problematic where sleep was concerned. After that, it was generally better. I found melatonin helped as did embracing good sleep hygiene habits. Additionally I discovered the joys of a hot bath with Epsom salt in the evening before bed. I will warn against taking a hot bath just prior to bed. While the hot water felt great, it bumped up my heart rate making it difficult to go directly from bath to bed.

I also took Benadryl on occasion. Not wanting to become dependent on anything else for sleep, I limited my intake of this and melatonin, but either is certainly a better alternative to Xanax IMHO.

Post jump, I sleep a deep, pure, hard sleep I hadn't experienced in many years. It's awesome! I had some "disturbing" dreams the first couple of months and would occasionally wake in a panic, but those have largely disappeared.

Lacey23: Low energy levels are probably a result of your taper. Been there done that, got the T-shirt.

Sadly it's part of sxs but like all the negative things in our tapers, it gets better.

My Xanax use was for sleep and I took a single nightly dose. I can't imagine splitting that up during the day, but what worked for me may not be the right thing for others.

I remember wanting definite answers for many aspects of my taper and jump, but the truth is we're all different. My symptoms and their severity or lack of symptoms didn't exactly mirror everyone else's. It took me a while before I truly accepted how differently all of us experience the process of becoming benzo free.

I was most concerned about sleep, and I discovered the first two days of my cuts were problematic where sleep was concerned. After that, it was generally better. I found melatonin helped as did embracing good sleep hygiene habits. Additionally I discovered the joys of a hot bath with Epsom salt in the evening before bed. I will warn against taking a hot bath just prior to bed. While the hot water felt great, it bumped up my heart rate making it difficult to go directly from bath to bed.

I also took Benadryl on occasion. Not wanting to become dependent on anything else for sleep, I limited my intake of this and melatonin, but either is certainly a better alternative to Xanax IMHO.

Post jump, I sleep a deep, pure, hard sleep I hadn't experienced in many years. It's awesome! I had some "disturbing" dreams the first couple of months and would occasionally wake in a panic, but those have largely disappeared.

Good to hear TS.  Out of curiosity, has your energy levels picked up since getting off? 

Most days absolutely yes. My desire and drive to engage in things I enjoyed and other activities had gradually  diminished over the 10+ years I'd taken Xanax. The taper seemed to sap me of even more energy, but post jump I've regained a lot of my old self. There are still some days where I feel drained, but those are gradually diminishing in frequency and intensity as are all my symptoms.

Most days absolutely yes. My desire and drive to engage in things I enjoyed and other activities had gradually  diminished over the 10+ years I'd taken Xanax. The taper seemed to sap me of even more energy, but post jump I've regained a lot of my old self. There are still some days where I feel drained, but those are gradually diminishing in frequency and intensity as are all my symptoms.

That's pretty much how I feel.  Over the 8 months or so I was on Xanax at night my energy levels kind of steadily declined, and then when starting tapering the energy levels got even worse. 

Ah well, I'm sure it will resolve itself afterwards like yourself.

Thank you True South for continue to hang around giving us newbies hope.  Did you tend to have more or less symptoms than the average person on this forum?

I believe I was about average as far as withdrawal symptoms go. The big difference may be that I was sooo ready to dump the Xanax and regain my life that I developed a positive attitude that really pushed me forward.

I'm not sure why, but I think some men may have an easier time than women. That's not to say that some women have almost zero symptoms and tapering can bring some men to their knees, but I feel in general, men tend to have an easier go at this than women. Maybe it's a weight/size difference, maybe it's hormonal, but that's my uneducated observation. I'd be curious to know what others think.

I believe I was about average as far as withdrawal symptoms go. The big difference may be that I was sooo ready to dump the Xanax and regain my life that I developed a positive attitude that really pushed me forward.

I'm not sure why, but I think some men may have an easier time than women. That's not to say that some women have almost zero symptoms and tapering can bring some men to their knees, but I feel in general, men tend to have an easier go at this than women. Maybe it's a weight/size difference, maybe it's hormonal, but that's my uneducated observation. I'd be curious to know what others think.

My opinion is that I don't really see a difference why there would be a difference.  We're all just waiting for our gaba receptors to return to normal. 

There may be some truth though.  I know I had a medical anthropology class last year, and one of the noteworthy things was that statistically women have higher rates of depression than men, but in reality it varies significantly from culture to culture.  In a culture where a man is taught to 'be a strong man', there is a significant difference between the two sexes.  Where in cultures where men are more feminine, there is less difference in depression.  Basically men that are from a nation where they are suppose to be 'strong' are more prone to cover up their feelings, and not admit to depression, which is a big reason for the skewed results in reporting.  Similar things happen with other maladies as well. 

Basically what I'm getting at, is possibly men are a little more likely to not admit to having a problem, where it's a little more culturally acceptable for a women to admit it?  I don't know, I'm just spitballing, lol.

I did read somewhere recently on the internet that men naturally have either more GABA or Seretonin than women although I can't remember which now.  Not sure if that has anything to do with it.  I think men are naturally more mentally tough than women.  I'm one wimp of a woman when it comes to symptoms, I hope I'm one of the lucky ones that gets off easy, but chances are I won't escape unscathed.  I'm already marked for life from this experience so far.  I start my taper here in a week or so, so I'm naturally nervous.

Thank you for your encouraging words TS!

That's interesting, Lacey & TS.

I've thought about this before, too. I know for me, my menstrual cycle and withdrawal have definitely correlated in previous months. So it wouldn't surprise me if other women experience this as well. And, naturally, men do not menstruate ( :laugh: ), so they would not deal with this :P However, I've also noticed that it seems as though men have made more mentions of "benzo rage" type symptoms & such than females, so perhaps it is the type of hormones that we all have individually that would perhaps impact our individual situations? It is very interesting to me :)

Hope you have a great night, y'all :) Take care.

Mrs. :smitten:

I did read somewhere recently on the internet that men naturally have either more GABA or Seretonin than women although I can't remember which now.  Not sure if that has anything to do with it.  I think men are naturally more mentally tough than women.  I'm one wimp of a woman when it comes to symptoms, I hope I'm one of the lucky ones that gets off easy, but chances are I won't escape unscathed.  I'm already marked for life from this experience so far.  I start my taper here in a week or so, so I'm naturally nervous.

Thank you for your encouraging words TS!

You're going to do great, Rabbit! My beginning of taper was pretty anticlimactic :P No worries, pal :)

I was a pretty whimpy woman when it came to pain in general before, but I am grateful for the strength, perseverance, and(at least better at) willingness to face fears that I have developed through all this. I simply don't think I would've learned any other way. Maybe. But probably not. I read a phrase recently that I really liked. It went something like this: "You don't know how strong you really are until your only option is to be strong." Another one that I draw strength from is: "The only way out is through." My whole life, I'd never liked fear, and in the past would run from its discomfort rather than face it and overcome it. I heard this phrase at some point along the way: "Action cures fears." (Dang. :P ) I'm certainly not perfect at this, but I have also come a long way, with His help, and also thanks to being forced into facing fears through this whole process. It is an important motivating factor to me that I do not want to keep running from fear the rest of my life. I am working on remembering that at the right moments to help me make good & better decisions all the time. Again, definitely not perfect at it, but getting better all the time (in His strength).

I think you are a very strong and courageous woman, Rabbit -- it takes that to even just be on a benzo and deal with symptoms :) We'll all get through this together, one step at a time :) I'm glad we have each other, that's for sure :)

Okay, 'nuff sloppy-heartedness from Mrs for tonight :P Anybody got any good jokes?

:laugh: Mrs.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [Le...]
    • [...]
    • [Re...]
    • [Ab...]
    • [Mi...]
    • [no...]
    • [Ki...]
    • [Mo...]
    • [23...]
    • [Ka...]