Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

XANAX Support Blog: If you're tapering Xanax/alprazolam, join in the discussion!

[mr...]

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Be...]

• [mr...]

• [Ra...]

• [VC...]

Top Posters In This Topic

You're most welcome, but I think I got that from you Mrsalw, or something close to that.  :thumbsup:

You get a nasty scrape on your knee and soon it scabs over. The scab begins to itch. That's the scrape healing, and I think our occasional side effects are CNS healing. At least thats how I look at it.

For me, I had to find the courage and determination to begin this process, but once I made a decision, I went all out and with a positive attitude that I didn't know was possible. Sure, there's lots of love and support here and I'm not sure I could have done this without this board, but each one of us has to do this for ourselves. It's not easy, but on so worth it!

I'm still shocked at how powerful such a tiny dose of Xanax was, but I suspect my decade of use contributed to the withdrawal symptoms I felt.

I recall back in December (?) when Benzy and Deb got into a tiff. Both Benzy and Deb decided they'd both had enough and said their goodbyes to the board. While I hated to see either one go, I respected that Deb actually stuck to her convictions and left BB. Unless he's been banned, I believe we'll hear from Benzy again. He was at the very end of his taper and his signature line said "jumping soon" beginning December 9th and that never changed until he deleted it after two months. I know it's been tough for him and I hope he makes it and comes back with his success story.

Good to see you Bluebell and Babyrex. My own fault, but I've missed everyone.

You're 'gonna make it Lacy23. I've got a good feeling about you. Keep a positive attitude and never back up. Push forward even when it hurts. There's a great life waiting for all of us, but we have to want it bad enough to go for it.

Hi Lacey23 regarding the SSRI i tried Citalopram for 2 weeks and i was so sick i could not do my daily things i need to do. I also have in my mind that the xanax is making me nervous so I am hoping getting off it will make me feel better? I am not sure all i know is that i went to the Dr with a little funny feeling once in awhile like a mini panic attack and here I am 13 months later trying to get off the xanax.

My husband also says I was NO WHERE near this anxious or on edge or quick to yell at everyone before the xanax. So I am not 100% sure that i need a SSRI. That would just be another med to try to get off. If I could find something that would not make me sick 24/7 and i knew i needed it 100% then i would defiantly do it for me and my family.

I am going back to work also after being off since May and when I was working I had 0 nervousness,it just feels like the longer i took the xanax the more nervous I would get,I know my dose is not a lot that i have taken over 14 months,well that is what the Dr said anyway. I just get so mad knowing they gave me this without warning me of the what could happen.

Right now with the xanax i am gutting like i said earlier but sometimes i do not even feel i need the next dose but i take it to stick with the taper? I mean i could miss a dose and be fine I think anyway who knows. I also have a pain top of my stomach at the end of my sternum that i think was giving me a miserable attitude they gave me omeprazole 20 mg for that my 2nd day on it and feel a little better. I was also thinking about getting a probiotic to take to.

Any suggestions would be great trying my best to get by thanks have a great day :thumbsup:

Hi Lacey23 regarding the SSRI i tried Citalopram for 2 weeks and i was so sick i could not do my daily things i need to do. I also have in my mind that the xanax is making me nervous so I am hoping getting off it will make me feel better? I am not sure all i know is that i went to the Dr with a little funny feeling once in awhile like a mini panic attack and here I am 13 months later trying to get off the xanax.

My husband also says I was NO WHERE near this anxious or on edge or quick to yell at everyone before the xanax. So I am not 100% sure that i need a SSRI. That would just be another med to try to get off. If I could find something that would not make me sick 24/7 and i knew i needed it 100% then i would defiantly do it for me and my family.

I am going back to work also after being off since May and when I was working I had 0 nervousness,it just feels like the longer i took the xanax the more nervous I would get,I know my dose is not a lot that i have taken over 14 months,well that is what the Dr said anyway. I just get so mad knowing they gave me this without warning me of the what could happen.

Right now with the xanax i am gutting like i said earlier but sometimes i do not even feel i need the next dose but i take it to stick with the taper? I mean i could miss a dose and be fine I think anyway who knows. I also have a pain top of my stomach at the end of my sternum that i think was giving me a miserable attitude they gave me omeprazole 20 mg for that my 2nd day on it and feel a little better. I was also thinking about getting a probiotic to take to.

Any suggestions would be great trying my best to get by thanks have a great day :thumbsup:

If you were fine before the Xanax use, then I imagine you'll be fine after quitting xanax.  But, fwiw, 2 weeks isn't enough time to properly assess an SSRI.  Those startup side effects go away, and it can take 4 weeks before you start feeling the positive effects.  So, you were experiencing all the crap, and none of the benefit.

Good to see you Bluebell and Babyrex. My own fault, but I've missed everyone.

You're 'gonna make it Lacy23. I've got a good feeling about you. Keep a positive attitude and never back up. Push forward even when it hurts. There's a great life waiting for all of us, but we have to want it bad enough to go for it.

Thanks very much TS.  I'm sure I'll make it off these pills in the next couple months.  The  positive attitude part may be a problem at times, lol.

Just wanted to say hi to everyone. I'm so proud of all of us! Reading your posts gives me strength for today. We are healing. Everyday. When I was at my worst I'd say out loud over and over..."Hmmm. So this is what healing feels like!" It helped me through some dark nights.

Love,

Hopeful Girl

mrsalw,

Have a great weekend!  :)

I have been working for my dad again in limited capacity.  But here's the thing, even though it is still really tough, my thought processes are more clear, and I have regained the ability to solve increasingly complex problems.  My mind is mending!  I can honestly say I have had YEARS of cognitive decline due to psychotropic "medications";  this new mental clarity is boosting my spirits even more than the gradual cessation of physical symptoms. 

I'm still getting some nasty waves but they are NOTHING compared to the hell of taper.

You are at the end my friend.  I hope you are doing well.  PM me if you need to bitch!  :laugh:

:smitten:

Just wanted to say hi to everyone. I'm so proud of all of us! Reading your posts gives me strength for today. We are healing. Everyday. When I was at my worst I'd say out loud over and over..."Hmmm. So this is what healing feels like!" It helped me through some dark nights.

Love,

Hopeful Girl

Hi right back,

I read posts from people that need to "take a break" from BB's.  Wow!  The support here is what has gotten me through my darkest moments.  Because many of us were sick from tolerance withdrawal for years, it was hard to imagine what normal even felt like. 

Hopeful, I didn't know who I was anymore.  I knew I was very, very sick, but I had no idea why.  For some of us, this second chance has given new meaning to our lives.  And I know you are one to be grateful.

I read posts from people that need to "take a break" from BB's.  Wow!  The support here is what has gotten me through my darkest moments.  Because many of us were sick from tolerance withdrawal for years, it was hard to imagine what normal even felt like. 

This place has been helpful for me, and I could see how it could be helpful for others too.  I think you were referring to me with this. 

I think the thing is, I was at my Dr's, and he said, "1mg is a low dose of Xanax, we are going to taper you off, and typically WD gets better after 4 weeks".  I had optimism after that appointment.  I was going to have my life back somewhat soon.

However, reading around here (and the internet in general) I kept reading how this "low dose" of xanax was equal to massive amounts of valium, and from the starting point of tapering, to the point of being 'recovered' could take years.  The thought of not having my life back for years scared the hell out of me.  I went from optimistic to pessimistic in a hurry, couldn't stop reading about benzo withdrawal (which generally doesn't turn up positive stories).

So, I guess the pessimism, mixed with symptoms from starting withdrawal, fueled some anxiety and depression.  After a little bit of a breather, from spending my days comsumed in 'all-things-benzo', I started getting some optimism back again.  Hopefully that is understandable.

Babyrex

How great that you are able to work with clarity again. I know it has been rough for you. But you stuck with it and now are reaping the rewards. You go girl!!!!

Blue :smitten:

...I read posts from people that need to "take a break" from BB's.  Wow!  The support here is what has gotten me through my darkest moments.  Because many of us were sick from tolerance withdrawal for years, it was hard to imagine what normal even felt like. 

Hopeful, I didn't know who I was anymore.  I knew I was very, very sick, but I had no idea why.  For some of us, this second chance has given new meaning to our lives.  And I know you are one to be grateful.

I sincerely hope you never reach that place where you need to take a break. It's no fun! Unfortunately, it seems to happen to a number of people at some point in their quest to become benzo free. It's hard to understand until you hit that wall and it's not a willful decision one makes but rather one your body and mind force you to make. 

I've finally come to believe almost anything members say about their taper and jump. Some of the symptoms sound absolutely impossible and crazy. Only those of us who've been there can possibly understand the sometimes bizarre physical discomfort and emotional pain one may experience during this process. The symptoms I somehow dodged during my taper hit me post jump. I wasn't ready for that even though I knew it was possible.

I'm delighted you've achieved freedom Babyrex, and I pray your worse days are behind you. My first two benzo free months were an incredibly wonderful time although not completely free from withdrawal symptoms in the evenings. Being able to recall things I'd long ago forgotten was awesome! Some days I'm razor sharp and I know it's because I'm healing.

Each one of us experiences this trip differently. Even though we're all on the same road together, we're traveling in different cars, at different speeds, hoping to arrive safely at our destination. This race isn't won by the fastest taper. Please take it easy on yourselves and others and move slow and easy. Enjoy the weekend!

This place has been helpful for me, and I could see how it could be helpful for others too.  I think you were referring to me with this. 

I think the thing is, I was at my Dr's, and he said, "1mg is a low dose of Xanax, we are going to taper you off, and typically WD gets better after 4 weeks".  I had optimism after that appointment.  I was going to have my life back somewhat soon.

However, reading around here (and the internet in general) I kept reading how this "low dose" of xanax was equal to massive amounts of valium, and from the starting point of tapering, to the point of being 'recovered' could take years.  The thought of not having my life back for years scared the hell out of me.  I went from optimistic to pessimistic in a hurry, couldn't stop reading about benzo withdrawal (which generally doesn't turn up positive stories).

So, I guess the pessimism, mixed with symptoms from starting withdrawal, fueled some anxiety and depression.  After a little bit of a breather, from spending my days comsumed in 'all-things-benzo', I started getting some optimism back again.  Hopefully that is understandable.

Hi Lacey,

I was not referring to you.  I wrote,  "I read posts from people that need to "take a break" from BB's."  This is a common refrain amongst those who are relatively short-term users.  And to be honest, there are long term users that are able to taper with little to no difficulty. 

Unfortunately, there is no guide to the the complexity and duration of withdrawal.  But it is generally accepted that those who were unwittingly poisoned, for years, have a more difficult time.  Believe me, I'm happy you learned that Benzodiazepines are not an answer to temporary problems.  But I am unclear why you thought my post was directed toward you? 

Try not to internalize these posts.  I generally "soapbox" to reach those who have difficult tapers and withdrawal;  I DON'T mean to include those that step off easily with just a few manageable symptoms.

I post all over this board! Don't take the horror stories to heart, we are just a small fraction of those who are doing safe and sane tapers.  And the VAST majority of short term users experience little to no withdrawal symptoms.

I hope this helps you. 

Hi Lacey,

I was not referring to you.  I wrote,  "I read posts from people that need to "take a break" from BB's."  This is a common refrain amongst those who are relatively short-term users.  And to be honest, there are long term users that are able to taper with little to no difficulty. 

Unfortunately, there is no guide to the the complexity and duration of withdrawal.  But it is generally accepted that those who were unwittingly poisoned, for years, have a more difficult time.  Believe me, I'm happy you learned that Benzodiazepines are not an answer to temporary problems.  But I am unclear why you thought my post was directed toward you? 

Try not to internalize these posts.  I generally "soapbox" to reach those who have difficult tapers and withdrawal;  I DON'T mean to include those that step off easily with just a few manageable symptoms.

I post all over this board! Don't take the horror stories to heart, we are just a small fraction of those who are doing safe and sane tapers.  And the VAST majority of short term users experience little to no withdrawal symptoms.

I hope this helps you. 

It does, thanks BR

I thought you were talking about me, because a few pages back I made my first post back here in a while, where I said I needed to take a little break away from Benzo Buddies because it was increasing anxiety symptoms reading horror stories all the time.  I thought you were talking about me. 

So, it's been a couple days since I did my last cut.  Really hoping I don't get slammed in a couple days.  Generally in the past 4 days is the point where I got slammed, but since resuming my taper a few weeks ago this hasn't been the case.  Today I've actually felt pretty good in all honesty, I'm wondering if the increase in SSRI I've done has possibly kicked in and starting to help.  Or possibly it's just a lot easier now that I've spread the dose throughout the day instead of taking  one big dose at night.

I am trying very hard to have a positive attitude. But it is hard tonight due to having a stressful day at work. Even though I have been free for 9 months, I still go through "stuff" when my mind and body are tired.

I am trying very hard to have a positive attitude. But it is hard tonight due to having a stressful day at work. Even though I have been free for 9 months, I still go through "stuff" when my mind and body are tired.

Hey Blue, do you think it's benzo related at this point, or possibly just 'normal' at this point?  What I mean is, I know a lot of people that don't take benzo's and get worked up easily over stressful situations.

I do not feel especially worked up. It is more like something I experienced while tapering. But what ever the cause, my strategy  to overcome it is to distract myself and to reach out for support from those who know what it is like.

I do not feel especially worked up. It is more like something I experienced while tapering. But what ever the cause, my strategy  to overcome it is to distract myself and to reach out for support from those who know what it is like.

Right on, I find distraction to be a pretty good way of overcoming it too.  I have an appointment with someone next week to teach me breathing exerisizes to help with it.  Not sure how helpful it will be, but I'll give it a shot.

G'mornin' my BB pals. Hope everyone is hanging in there... :smitten:

I'm still trying to figure out how to add my 4th dose without throwing my schedule out of whack. Following your posts and updates - very encouraged by the healing I see.

Catch you later  :thumbsup:

VC

V - I wished I could help or someone would come on to give you advice.  This thread has really been dying lately. :-[

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [Le...]
    • [...]
    • [Re...]
    • [Ab...]
    • [Mi...]
    • [no...]
    • [Ki...]
    • [Mo...]
    • [23...]
    • [Ka...]
    • [Ch...]