Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

XANAX Support Blog: If you're tapering Xanax/alprazolam, join in the discussion!

[mr...]

Thanks Lacy23. My Xanax use was also at night and looking back, I was a flaming asshole during the day which was of course tolerance withdrawal. Not once over a ten year period did I consider taking it during the day or connect the dots that it was responsible for my sometimes inappropriate reactions to everyday events. That really makes sense.

I've had a couple of other people relate tell me that coming here to the boards can trigger anxiety symptoms. You're reaction is normal and I hope others can understand. It doesn't seem probable, but with Xanax, anything's possible.

Wishing you many happy days ahead my friend! You deserve it as we all do.  :thumbsup:

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Be...]

• [mr...]

• [Ra...]

• [VC...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Lacy23. My Xanax use was also at night and looking back, I was a flaming asshole during the day which was of course tolerance withdrawal. Not once over a ten year period did I consider taking it during the day or connect the dots that it was responsible for my sometimes inappropriate reactions to everyday events. That really makes sense.

I've had a couple of other people relate tell me that coming here to the boards can trigger anxiety symptoms. You're reaction is normal and I hope others can understand. It doesn't seem probable, but with Xanax, anything's possible.

Wishing you many happy days ahead my friend! You deserve it as we all do.  :thumbsup:

Thanks True Shouth, appreciate it.  How are you doing since coming off xanax?

I definitely don't mean to offend anyone.  It's just my own personal BS I guess.  When I read a bunch of negative stuff, I start noticing it in myself, and that gives me anxiety.  I've tried to replace spending a ton of time reading negative stuff, with just trying to distract myself with video games, and movies.  I think watching a movie is a better use of time than googling "benzo withdrawal" and then reading horror stories over and over again. 

You didn't offend me at all. I want something that closely resembles the truth even if it hurts. You're the third person who's told me they have a difficult time coming here because it kicks up their anxiety. As my only dose was in the evening, my anxiety usually kicks in during the evening and that's typically when I hit the web for something other than work.

I'm feeling better today than I have in at least ten years. I honestly didn't realize how badly the benzos had affected my life and I only regret not having found this board and the strength to begin my taper years earlier. The reward is defiantly worth the pain.

You didn't offend me at all. I want something that closely resembles the truth even if it hurts. You're the third person who's told me they have a difficult time coming here because it kicks up their anxiety. As my only dose was in the evening, my anxiety usually kicks in during the evening and that's typically when I hit the web for something other than work.

I'm feeling better today than I have in at least ten years. I honestly didn't realize how badly the benzos had affected my life and I only regret not having found this board and the strength to begin my taper years earlier. The reward is defiantly worth the pain.

That's great news, glad to hear it TS!  I'm sure things will keep getting better, and better for you. 

That's great news, glad to hear it TS!  I'm sure things will keep getting better, and better for you.

Hi Lacey,

I was glad to hear things are moving forward for you! I too get a lot of anxiety if I search around the boards or the web. I come here and two other spots on benzo buddies and other than that I don't usually even look at the new posts. I just stirs up too many fears for me. I do much better this way . If I do have a specific question, I will search for it exactly. Glad to hear from you!

Hopeful Girl

Lacy, I'm so happy you're feeling better.  Yes, Xanax is notorious for interdose withdrawal.  How I avoided this is beyond me, but I was fortunate I didn't experience it.  There have been several of us who didn't have interdose withdrawal, but most buddies do seem to have this problem.  I hope things continue to go well for you.  :thumbsup:

Anyone else getting irregular heartbeats on their BP machine that you don't necessarily feel? I still get occasional ones w/slight BP elevations (nothing serious) that . It happened again after doing some leg stretches just now. Usually goes away when I rest but I'm tired of laying around, worried about adrenaline surges. Some have tried to convince me that these symptoms are still interdose w/d, but wonder if its just remaining dysregulation that's trying to correct itself?

Asking because I wonder if I'm fine to proceed with 3 daily xanax doses, or add a 4th one. I'd really like to go to water titrating this week and just hold my dose a bit longer. Thanks everyone.

Appreciate the kind words Juliea, and hopefulgirl.

Also, I was hoping to get an update on Benzy after dropping by here.  How's he doing?  I assume he's jumped off at this point?

Anyone else getting irregular heartbeats on their BP machine that you don't necessarily feel? I still get occasional ones w/slight BP elevations (nothing serious) that . It happened again after doing some leg stretches just now. Usually goes away when I rest but I'm tired of laying around, worried about adrenaline surges. Some have tried to convince me that these symptoms are still interdose w/d, but wonder if its just remaining dysregulation that's trying to correct itself?

Asking because I wonder if I'm fine to proceed with 3 daily xanax doses, or add a 4th one. I'd really like to go to water titrating this week and just hold my dose a bit longer. Thanks everyone.

I hope someone else will respond to you VC.  I did not monitor myself during my taper or prior to my taper on purpose.  This would have caused me to obsess over transient symptoms, so I opted not to do this.

Xanax taperers (former and current):

Micro taper(liquid, dry, whatever) or cut and hold?

I think I see more people doing a cut and hold with xanax... Is that because the half-life is so short you feel the cuts more quickly and need a longer hold? The longer lasting benzos build up and the daily cuts feel less extreme I'd imagine?

FINALLY stabilized on my 5 doses of .16mg each for .80 total daily. I only waited 4 days after stabilizing to start my taper... Probably not the best idea. My taper plan is 5% a month but I'm thinking of increasing to 7.5%. I'm reducing .005 from each dose in succession every 3-4 days... Equaling .01mg reduction a week. I have a liquid compound so it's easy. I made my first cut and felt okay... Made my second cut for the week and had a bad w/d episode. But it only lasted one day and night, so not too bad I guess.

I'm wondering if a larger cut and longer hold with xanax might be better?

I hope someone else will respond to you VC.  I did not monitor myself during my taper or prior to my taper on purpose.  This would have caused me to obsess over transient symptoms, so I opted not to do this.

Thanks, Juliea. Makes sense. But after landing in cardiac care a few times, I was told to monitor any changes. (admittedly, I probably have some post-traumatic stress regarding this, but I do have hx of Afib and arrhythmias and take heart medication). If I could get back to sleeping better, I'd probably just let it go.

Maybe someone can

Dear VCharis,

I too have A fib diagnosed pre benzos. It is transient and I take a calcium channel blocker

to manage the symptoms. I am finished with Xanax taper and am currently tapering Valium.

The past month I have had more runs of A fib. I have slowed the V taper to .005 mg day reduction with holds as needed based on frequency and duration of A fib episodes. When I have a run of arrythmias I take additional magnesium and have had some success. Yesterday within 30 minutes of taking additional dose of magnesium the A fib stopped. I take 3 doses of 200 mg per day on a regular basis and then the added PRN dose for treatment. This coupled with the slower taper seems to help.

The cardiac symptoms are scary...especially when you have a history of being on a cardiac unit. I know many folks have arrhythmias when tapering. It's always best to get it checked if you are unsure.

I am due for an check and will do it soon...but am sure most of what I am experiencing is my body seeking balance.

Hope this helped a bit. Wishing you the best.

Warmly,

Carita

Xanax taperers (former and current):

Micro taper(liquid, dry, whatever) or cut and hold?

I believe we've had more dry cutters because it's simply a no brainer to cut .25mg pills.  Plus, since Xanax is insoluble in most every liquid we have available to us, some of us don't trust tapering via liquid unless we can get the pharm grade liquid Xanax from Roxann.  That being said, we have several buddies who have had good success with titrating Xanax using water.  This is certainly an option.

I think I see more people doing a cut and hold with xanax... Is that because the half-life is so short you feel the cuts more quickly and need a longer hold? The longer lasting benzos build up and the daily cuts feel less extreme I'd imagine?

I did not feel my cuts when dry cutting until the 4th or 5th day after a cut.  I've read of some buddies who felt their cut on day 3.  I believe a hold needs to last the same no matter which benzo is being used --- this would be to hold until the withdrawal symptoms from the previous cut settle back down.  I actually believe Xanax can sometimes be cut more quickly than another benzo due to it's short half life.  A cut to Valium may not even be felt for 2-weeks.  This was not my experience with Xanax.  My average hold time toward the end of my taper after I was fully aware of my lag time and stabilization, was 8 days.

FINALLY stabilized on my 5 doses of .16mg each for .80 total daily. I only waited 4 days after stabilizing to start my taper... Probably not the best idea. My taper plan is 5% a month but I'm thinking of increasing to 7.5%. I'm reducing .005 from each dose in succession every 3-4 days... Equaling .01mg reduction a week. I have a liquid compound so it's easy. I made my first cut and felt okay... Made my second cut for the week and had a bad w/d episode. But it only lasted one day and night, so not too bad I guess.

Good you have the compounded liquid.  :thumbsup:

I'm wondering if a larger cut and longer hold with xanax might be better?

This may get you moving away from the benzo more quickly, but quick and a benzo taper isn't necessarily  a good thing.  People who do a daily taper, (as you seem to be doing?), usually find their optimum cut rate that keeps them as symptom free as possible, from what I understand.  With cut and hold, I was not symptom free.  When my cuts hit, they made themselves known by an uptick in symptoms that lasted approx. 1-2 days.  My symptoms were manageable though and I was always able to re-stabilize again PRIOR to making another cut.  This was key for me.

We're all different in how we respond to a taper.  There is no one size fits all.  We just need to be very comfortable with the method we choose to enable us to as independently as possible, manage our tapers.  I was able to be independent with the method I chose.  Once I got a plan, I stuck with it and listened to my body.  Luckily my body cooperated with my plan and I was able to complete the taper.

You'll get there too if you keep chipping away at it.  :thumbsup:

Dear VCharis,

I too have A fib diagnosed pre benzos. It is transient and I take a calcium channel blocker

to manage the symptoms. I am finished with Xanax taper and am currently tapering Valium.

The past month I have had more runs of A fib. I have slowed the V taper to .005 mg day reduction with holds as needed based on frequency and duration of A fib episodes. When I have a run of arrythmias I take additional magnesium and have had some success. Yesterday within 30 minutes of taking additional dose of magnesium the A fib stopped. I take 3 doses of 200 mg per day on a regular basis and then the added PRN dose for treatment. This coupled with the slower taper seems to help.

The cardiac symptoms are scary...especially when you have a history of being on a cardiac unit. I know many folks have arrhythmias when tapering. It's always best to get it checked if you are unsure.

I am due for an check and will do it soon...but am sure most of what I am experiencing is my body seeking balance.

Hope this helped a bit. Wishing you the best.

Warmly,

Carita

Hi Carita, and thanks for your response! My last post got cut off before I sent it...oops. Appreciated you sharing that. Now I don't feel so all alone. It's also reassuring to hear how well the magnesium is helping you. I've been working hard to replenish my depleted magnesium (and potassium, etc) since that may have contributed to my heart issues primarily. Might have also been some interdose w/d (before I knew what it was). At any rate, they've threatened me with cardiac ablation if it happens again, so I'm thinking a nice slow liquid taper is best. Thankfully these other "irregular" heartbeats are benign, as they don't show up on the EKGs I've had. It also reassures me to know that arrhythmias seem fairly common to benzo tapering or w/d. Sorry to hear you had some runs with Afib this past month. Did that surprise you? Because I wondered if switching over to V would help avoid the heart stuff since it's longer-acting, etc. Guess it's all about adjusting/tweaking our individual tapers. You encourage me.  I do hope your checkup goes great. Let me know, K? My next cardiology appt. is coming up soon, too. 

hugs,  :smitten:

VC

Orph, I assume you missed my response to you on the previous page. It is reposted below, for your convenience.

Also to note, I too was told that a water titration was impossible with Xanax. It is correct that it does not "dissolve" in water. But it does create a nice suspension, if mixed well ;) I give suggestions below (in the link to my blog) on how to work around the imperfections of water titration. Another option is to purchase one of those protein drink cups that have the battery operated stirrer in the bottom, and just leave it mixing while withdraw along your dose.

Something I realized along the way, after hearing many different opinions and advice in tapering: there is no "perfect" taper plan, as they all have pros and cons, faults and freedoms. AND -- they ALL work, IF you work them ;) Its just a matter of deciding for YOU which one will work best, and which one you're most comfortable with ;) For me, that was water titration. For Juliea, it was dry-cutting. Just in case you're concerned about whether or not water titration works, I am now 14 months into tapering and 78% free of my original dose, and my two buddies Carita and Hopefulgirl both are successfully Xanax free using water titration ;) Pick for you what you feel is best for you :)

Hope this helps you, friend :) You're gonna do awesome!

Mrs. :smitten:

I need advice with my xanax titration plan. I am doing it wrong and need feedback. Please...someone PM me...

Jeremy :-[

Hi, there.  Please ask for tapering/titration help on the open forum.  Our pm system if for chat and moral support only!  When one wants this sort of advice it is best to get as many opinions as possible.

:smitten:

Megan

Ok, well I hope  someone can help.

I have no idea how much I've titrated. Here is what I've done

Have been titrating 3mg of my total 4mg dose (leaving the 1mg evening dose alone for now).

I thought I was at 2.90 mg total (or had titrated the morning/afternoong dose to 1.90). I clearly am not since I tried taking 3 1mg tablets and had withdrawal (actually felt awful even after taking 1mg pill in the AM)

I'm doing something wrong. Here's what I do: use 100ml cylinder. Crush 3 1mg tablets and mix them in a plastic container. Then I mix it with a spoon really good and remove whatever I've reduced for two doses and discard the rest.

My understanding is that using a 100ml cylinder and titrating 3mg, 1ml = .03mg.  I am drinking 63ml...again this should be below 2mg.......no idea what i'm doing wrong.

I asked if I should use milk. Was told no. Asked about water. Similar answer. Also unsure about the containers. They are plastic but they don't leak. So here I am.

Can someone please help? I'm desperate. I can't continue but I'm going to assume I've only reduced the morning/afternoon total dose to 2.15mg.......

If anyone can help me work in a spreadsheet too, I would be thankful.

Again, really desperate for help.

Hi Orpheus,

I will mention that I am not in a position to mentor at this time, but will answer a few questions for you as best I can.  I am a fellow titrater, so I will let you know of my experiences.

From what I can tell, you aren't doing anything "wrong".  Sometimes, when buddies try to updose, it no longer has a very helpful effect.  This can happen and is nothing to be alarmed by; it just means that you've reached tolerance and that your CNS is very sensitive from benzodiazepine use.  Imagine it as if taking a benzodiazepine was like you going outside and climbing up a flag pole.  And pretend that instead of growing stronger each time you did it, you grew a little weaker/wearier of the climb.  Over time, eventually you would not be able to make it up the flag pole anymore -- not all at once most likely, but gradually you would only make it up 3/4ths, and then only 1/2, then up 1/4th, etc...you get the idea.  I believe that benzodiazepine usage is similar in losing its efficacy over time like this.  I hope that makes sense. 

Also, switching from dissolved dosing to dry dosing, or vice versa, can absolutely have an impact on symptoms.  It almost acts like a "cut" for many -- I know it certainly did/does for me! I believe this is because your body may metabolize your dose differently when it is dissolved in water vs. a dry tablet.  So to compare how you felt at 1.89mg (63mL of 100mL drank) mixed in water, vs 3mg of dry-dosing is a little hard to do, IMO.

Also, depending on how quickly you tapered down from 100mL to 63mL could also have an impact on how you feel.  For instance, if you've been removing 1mL per day for the last 37 days without any breaks, this could be considered a rapidly paced taper for someone who is sensitive to their benzo (which it sounds like you might be).  This would be a 37% cut from your original dose, and it could be catching up to you. Benzodiazepine tapers should be symptom-driven, and based on the person's individual needs and comfort level, and not on a date on the calendar.  So unless your doctor has put a time limit on you (i.e. you'll run out of scrips for the drug), it may be in your best interest to take it easy and hold on cutting your dosage any further until you've regained some stability.  What I mean by "stability" does not mean feeling good and normal again; I mean "stability" as feeling consistent in symptoms, or establishing a "baseline" of symptoms. 

All this being said, if you've established that you've, in fact, moved a little too quickly to begin with here, it may be a little late to completely "undo" the ouchie by simply updosing (which seems to be somewhat true based on how you're reacting to updosing to 3mg).  This does not mean that you will always feel this ouchie, LOL, so don't get worried about that :P  It just means that time will need to pass and healing to take place a little bit to undo some of the ouch ;)  This is completely normal, as I am just coming out of a "mega ouchy" couple of cuts in November and December that I shouldn't have done :laugh:  Happens to the best of us!

That is all I'll be able to offer in the way of advice for now, friend.  Again, please understand that I am not in a position to mentor anyone for a taper schedule currently.  You are smart and capable, and can research, read, and study how you should handle your taper with no troubles ;)  Just trust your instinct on what is right for you, and you will be fine :)  On my personal blog, I've detailed my own water titration and you're welcome to read through that information if it can be of help to you; it is found here: http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=79163.msg1049215#msg1049215

Hope this helps you, Orph.  You're doing fine, IMO -- tapering Xanax can be a toughie, is all!  Keep on keepin' on :)

Mrs. :smitten:

Want to stick with titration....but it has been grossly inaccurate. And by all accounts I've done everything right.

I've been titrating my day doses (3mg) by 3ml per week using a 100ml cylinder in water. Mathematically, this should be .09mg per week. On paper, I should be at .85mg AM / .85mg midday / and 1mg pill (not tapering this dose).

But three days ago I switched to .85mg AM / 1mg pill (let sit in water overnight) and 1mg pill. And my sxs are worse. I was not getting palpitations this bad, this much overall anxiety, more nightmares and more obsessive fear of death.

I've changed three things I'd done before: shake instead of stirring. Not switching from a dissolved dose to a dry dose so it metabolizes the same.

So I wonder: is titration just inaccurate for Xanax? I am terrible at dry cutting. Titration feels so much simpler.

I'm moving slow. This shouldn't be a quick taper. Just trying to actually get down to 3mg on paper....had thought I was lower all along.

Does anybody have experience tapering off Xanax XR?

Hi IFly,

I was on xr when I began my taper. How can I help?

I'm headed to a dinner so if I don't respond right away I will get back ASAP.

Hi Hopefulgirl, I started my Xanax XR taper from 1mg in the morning to .5mg at night, hoping it may help with the insomnia.  The doctor also has me on 10mg Prozac to help with the anxiety while I'm coming off the Xanax.  He later prescribed 20mg Prozac but it seemed to make my insomnia worse so I'm back at 10mg Prozac and .5 Xanax XR.  Now that I'm at .5 Xanax XR he wants me to try taking it every other day, then as I'm able try every two days, etc.  Not much choice since I can't cut the XR tablets.  How did you do it?

Hi Hopefulgirl, I started my Xanax XR taper from 1mg in the morning to .5mg at night, hoping it may help with the insomnia.  The doctor also has me on 10mg Prozac to help with the anxiety while I'm coming off the Xanax.  He later prescribed 20mg Prozac but it seemed to make my insomnia worse so I'm back at 10mg Prozac and .5 Xanax XR.  Now that I'm at .5 Xanax XR he wants me to try taking it every other day, then as I'm able try every two days, etc.  Not much choice since I can't cut the XR tablets.  How did you do it?

I am currently weaning off of Xanax XR.  I am doing it a little faster than most did it here.  So far, not too bad.  My doctor drops by .5mg every few months.  The first drop I didn't really notice it however the last one took a little while to stabilizes so  I used regular xanax to drop a little slower.  I plan on dropping again at the end of March but will do it slower using regular xanax.  My doctor has told me that some of his patients can drop by .5mg Xanax XR until they get till the last .5mg and than he switches them to .5mg regular xanax broken up and spread throughout the day.  This allows you to drop in smaller  increments.   

Welcome IFly!

You'll be amazed at who you discover once you're off everything. It's a fantastic time of rediscovery. Making the decision is huge!

If I can do this, anyone can!

Thank you for your replies.  I am worried coming off the last .5mg of Xanax XR since they're not giving me regular Xanax.  I do have a stash of the Xanax ODT 1mg in case things get very very hairy, but am concerned I may impede my progress if I use these without knowing anything about pharmaceuticals.

I'd try to reason with your doctor and see if you can get at least one 30 supply of .25 Xanax. For dry cutting, I found they're very easy to manage.

Some background: I recently retired from my civilian job so am now having to use my husband's retired military health insurance plan.  We recently moved so we have to go to the military hospital close-by for all our healthcare needs.  Scheduled an initial appointment so our assigned doctor would have our meds documented, that's when he told me about the dangers of Xanax, and all benzos.  It caught my attention and I wanted off of it.  He's a third year resident and consulted with a psychiatrist in order to get me on a taper program using Prozac.  He also has me seeing an active-duty social worker to monitor my progress in-between my monthly visits with him.  The social worker is wonderful, and I realize how lucky I am to have all the events happen that led me to this tiny town and having to go to this military installation for my healthcare resulting in finding a healthcare system that is very aware of the benzo addiction problem.  I saw the social worker today and due to my education from the benzobuddie website I was able to explain to her my concerns of my taper plan.  She wasted no time in putting in a referral for me to a psychiatrist, which once I get an appointment scheduled I can talk to him about my concerns.  It will be about a week before I hear from the psychiatrist's office for an appt but am hoping I can talk to him about what I've learned from this website.  Thank you so much for providing the educational material so I could explain to the social worker, in an intelligent manner, my concerns.  I don't know if I'll be able to use regular Xanax in my taper plan, but am more hopeful now that I have a referral to a psychiatrist rather than working with a resident. 

Some background: I recently retired from my civilian job so am now having to use my husband's retired military health insurance plan.  We recently moved so we have to go to the military hospital close-by for all our healthcare needs.  Scheduled an initial appointment so our assigned doctor would have our meds documented, that's when he told me about the dangers of Xanax, and all benzos.  It caught my attention and I wanted off of it.  He's a third year resident and consulted with a psychiatrist in order to get me on a taper program using Prozac.  He also has me seeing an active-duty social worker to monitor my progress in-between my monthly visits with him.  The social worker is wonderful, and I realize how lucky I am to have all the events happen that led me to this tiny town and having to go to this military installation for my healthcare resulting in finding a healthcare system that is very aware of the benzo addiction problem.  I saw the social worker today and due to my education from the benzobuddie website I was able to explain to her my concerns of my taper plan.  She wasted no time in putting in a referral for me to a psychiatrist, which once I get an appointment scheduled I can talk to him about my concerns.  It will be about a week before I hear from the psychiatrist's office for an appt but am hoping I can talk to him about what I've learned from this website.  Thank you so much for providing the educational material so I could explain to the social worker, in an intelligent manner, my concerns.  I don't know if I'll be able to use regular Xanax in my taper plan, but am more hopeful now that I have a referral to a psychiatrist rather than working with a resident.

Dear IFly,

I did taper off of Xanax Xr until I got down to .25mg. I actually did cut the Xr pills. Several docs and the pharmacist all said that for tapering this is fine. I just cut them with a pill cutter. It alters the extended release and makes them act more like a regular Xanax but it can be done. I had a large supply of them and just used them up. I would strongly advise against taking Xanax every other day, etc. as part of a taper. This is very hard on your system. The half life of Xanax - even extended release is just too short so it is as if you are going cold turkey and then reinstating over and over again with that type of dosing. It sounds like a plan that you will get to share your concerns with the new doctor. What a blessing the way things are coming together for you right now!

Warmly,

Hopeful Girl

Hopefulgirl, thanks for the information.  It doesn't make sense to me either as far as skipping a day, then trying to skip two days,, then three, and so on.  From what I've read about benzos this isn't a rational plan.  I'm going to stay on .5mg daily  until I see the psychiatrist, I am hoping he will be willing to incorporate regular Xanax in my taper plan. 

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [Ta...]
    • [be...]
    • [Ch...]
    • [Gi...]
    • [En...]
    • [Ct...]
    • [...]
    • [jo...]
    • [Ma...]
    • [SB...]
    • [Ka...]