Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

XANAX Support Blog: If you're tapering Xanax/alprazolam, join in the discussion!

[mr...]

Thanks Baby! I am shocked how our bodies grow so dependent....I thought I'd be done long ago! The arrhythmias kicked in and I slowed down...nothing like the heart to tell you you are going too fast.

I am grateful for so many things...the fact I started at 35 mg valium equivalent of xanax and valium combined and am now at .84 mg is encouraging...although sometimes my affected brain makes me feel it is not good enough.  I'm not going to listen...I am full on proud of myself!

VCharis...you have a grand attitude!  So many of the folks who have written their success stories state, " if I can do this so can you ". I agree. It is hard...it takes all you can muster some days. I'm amazed at my resilience and determination. I have tremendous admiration for the brave people here. The benefits of being off of the drugs are countless. We have to keep walking because the joy and good health that wait are worth this effort.

Baby...again, I am moved by the encouragement in your words as I know this has been a horrible experience for you. Thank you for being here educating others and rooting for us. You are special.

Love to all,

Carita

Thank you Carita

:smitten:

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Be...]

• [mr...]

• [Ra...]

• [VC...]

Top Posters In This Topic

But what new folks need to understand is that within a few months of recovery things get MUCH BETTER!  You become functional and really start to enjoy life again! 

I'm so happy to read your feeling better Baby.

I remember a couple of months ago when you posted asking how long acute withdrawal lasted.  I answered mine was 2 or 3 months and the poster after me said theirs lasted more than 14 months.  That really upset me because it was such an extreme amount of time for acute and I didn't feel it was very supportive to you and also it was frightening.  The poster almost made me feel like I was lying or sugar coating my post because they said they wanted to tell you "how it really is".

We really need to not take every post of good intentions to heart because many are extreme and simply won't be what happens to us and they can scare us unintentionally.

Well anyway, I usually don't complain about stuff like this but like I said that post really bothered me and I hoped you would see I was telling you the truth about the time line for acute.

And again, I'm so happy to read your feeling better.

Molly :smitten:

Thank you Molly.  You make a great point.  Even though I had a bad taper, I have tried to make it clear that most do not experience such a harsh withdrawal. 

And I also believe most people are healed within 18-24 months, or even before.  (That includes a taper).  I do understand people can get occasional waves past this point, but they are generally benign and short lived.  I have a real problem with people that have healed and have not been supportive of the forum, yet when they get a little wave a year out, they come back screaming in terror.  They dump their fears on those still tapering, and yet when the wave ends a day or two later, they again disappear.    :tickedoff:

I'm glad you are doing well too!  You have always had positive posts, and they really helped me.

Hello, friends.  :smitten: Please bear with me as I'm trying to mentally prepare for my taper. Since my worst interdose w/d issues include heart and BP stuff, I sure don't wanna rush anything. I've followed suggestions here to stick with 3 regular doses instead of the awful PRN dosing I did for years. I'll admit, I did not like having to updose slightly to add two tiny doses, but it does seem I'm better. 

Since reinstating 3 regular doses, I'm getting better (more stable) with less episodes of BP/adrenaline surges & irregular HB. But my CNS is still VERY fragile and easily stressed. In fact, everything stresses me...I feel vulnerable to people and events and have lived like a hermit for 8 weeks, fearful of those adrenaline surges. Been 5 wks at this particular dosing and holding. I even sleep, but not enough.

How do I know when to move forward with my LT? Would pill cutting even be possible for me? The pills I'm cutting now (0.5mg) are crumbling and my daytime doses are not equal (0.125mg).

If I can avoid stressors, get enough sleep, and rest, then my CNS does okay. But I find I have to avoid LIFE just to stay calm.

My other fear is that sleep will suffer. Bear in mind that I stopped Seroquel for sleep last year and that probably messed up my GABA receptors, too....same time as I began tapering off the Xanax originally (before BB). All I can do is proceed cautiously and move forward. I've worried less about the taper overall, less OCD, etc., but I still need thoughtful input from anyone's who's been here before. I don't wanna end up back in the cardiac unit with Afib (taking anti-arrhythmic).  It would be fabulous if getting xanax-free could mean eliminating this medication down the road.

Thank you all.

VCharis  :smitten:

Hi V,

I'm so happy to hear you are stabilizing and able to get a bit of sleep.  I have plenty of mag citrate in powdered form, so I need start using it.  So you're going to try a liquid titration?

I don't believe Seroquel directly hits the GABA receptors.  From what I understand at lower doses it hits histamine.  So much of the data that's out there on it is over my benzo head.  I don't remember now, did you taper your Seroquel or just c/t.

Hugs,

Rabbit

Hi V,

I'm so happy to hear you are stabilizing and able to get a bit of sleep.  I have plenty of mag citrate in powdered form, so I need start using it.  So you're going to try a liquid titration?

I don't believe Seroquel directly hits the GABA receptors.  From what I understand at lower doses it hits histamine.  So much of the data that's out there on it is over my benzo head.  I don't remember now, did you taper your Seroquel or just c/t.

Hugs,

Rabbit

Hey there, Rabbit.  :smitten:

Yep, think I'll try the liquid taper although I wish pill cutting would work for me.  You might be right about Seroquel...I'm not sure anymore. If I knew then what I know now, I'd have gotten off the benzo first, and saved the seroquel for last (tapered it over 2-3 months). I know you're getting ready to begin your taper soon...been thinking about you.

hugs,

VC 

Hi V,

Hugs,

Rabbit

Yep, think I'll try the liquid taper although I wish pill cutting would work for me.  You might be right about Seroquel...I'm not sure anymore. If I knew then what I know now, I'd have gotten off the benzo first, and saved the seroquel for last (tapered it over 2-3 months). I know you're getting ready to begin your taper soon...been thinking about you.

hugs,

VC

Hi V,

I'm sure you've been asked, but my benzo brain prohibits me from remembering.  Have you inquired about .25?  That would be needed in order to make dry cuts.  If you feel you may be highly sensitive to cuts, I would stick with the L/T. 

I'm 8 1/2 months off xanax....I feel like everything keeps changing.  At the time it seems to be getting worse and I'm worried.  I read somewhere that xanax is the worse of the benzo w/d is this true?  Does it take longer if you were on xanax?  I felt a little better at 4 and 5 months off.  Now I have agoraphobia and anxiety BAD...I just need some encouragement from those that have been  where I am please!

Hi V,

I'm sure you've been asked, but my benzo brain prohibits me from remembering.  Have you inquired about .25?  That would be needed in order to make dry cuts.  If you feel you may be highly sensitive to cuts, I would stick with the L/T. 

Hey Babyrex, that's okay. I have a script for 30 pills (0.25mg) w/one refill, is all. Wasn't thinking clearly the day i saw him - he gave me 9 months worth of 0.5mg on the first visit, then the second script when i tried to explain my taper plans. (apparently I didnt explain well enough because 0.25mg once daily is not enough). Did okay dry-cutting last year (pre-BB) but went too fast. L/T sounds gentler, so yeah. Leaning towards that.  :smitten:

I'm 8 1/2 months off xanax....I feel like everything keeps changing.  At the time it seems to be getting worse and I'm worried.  I read somewhere that xanax is the worse of the benzo w/d is this true?  Does it take longer if you were on xanax?  I felt a little better at 4 and 5 months off.  Now I have agoraphobia and anxiety BAD...I just need some encouragement from those that have been  where I am please!

Hi buddy,

You're only 8.5 months post, so keep hanging tight :) I've seen a ton of buddies go through what you do between the 6-14 month marker -- a couple months of "waxing", than a couple "waning" -- so I'd say you're right on track with your healing! :thumbsup: And usually, when it gets rough for a few weeks, those buddies come out of the "wave" with a much higher baseline, and improvements roll in right and left after that ;) So like I said friend, you just keep on hanging tight ;)

My anxiety & panic has been greatly helped by taking magnesium glycinate as well. Not all forms of magnesium are "created equal", and therefore they do not all have the calming effect on the CNS like the glycinate form does, so be mindful of this when shopping for mag ;) Type it into the search box on this forum and read up on it -- lots of buddies use it with great success. For me, it diminished anxiety/panic 60-80%. Might be helpful for you. I use the brand that most of the buddies on here use -- Doctor's Best 100% Chelated Magnesium Glycinate. I started small and work your way up to an effective dose. I also dose small amounts multiple times thru the day, which helps effectiveness. I started at 200mg per day, 100mg AM and 100mg PM. I moved up to 400-500mg per day (100mg 4-5x per day) and stayed there for a long time. I recently upped it to 800-1000mg per day (200mg 4-5x per day), based on an increase in symptoms as I near the end of my taper. Its a Godsend. :P

Hope this has helped you a little bit, friend! Rest well :) You're healing just fine, IMO :) Also, all that info is just my opinions & such -- you do what you feel is best for you, of course :) Hope you feel better soon! Stick around, too, if you want -- we love having other buddies to chat with :)

G'night!

Mrs. :smitten:

I'm already doing about 800 mg of magnesium glycinate. It's helped my palps. I just wonder if it's covering up symptoms and I'm no really healing because if I miss a dose I feel it. Hate being stuck on a pill even if it is just a mineral.

Hi V,

Hugs,

Rabbit

hugs,

VC

Thank you sweet V.  I think about you constantly.  Love you  :hug:

Rabbit

What a difference a few days make! My brief yet intense bout with depression is gone. I swear the mental symptoms are harder for me to deal with than the physical, but we're all different in how we react to our taper and jump.

Anyway... I was asked about my leg aches in another area of the forum and thought more Xanax  buddies would be served if I posted my experiences here.

I left the majority of my physical withdrawal symptoms behind me when I jumped and most days I've felt better than I have in the last ten years. In place of the physical pain, I've had some mental "stuff" to deal with, but yes, the leg pain is without question my biggest physical complaint. Actually tinnitus and leg pain are really the only two physical issues remaining, and I'm not sure you can classify the ringing ears as physical.

The biggest complaint is my right leg and mostly centered around my knee. That's not to say I don't have some aches in both legs because I do. The left leg is typically not as problematic and those aches are generally confined to the ankle and calf region and only occasionally go up to my left knee and very very rarely any higher.

My right knee area has been my chief physical complaint post jump and it's almost always aching. I wake up and it's hurts all day long. It's not like a sprained or sore knee, it's more upper calf and behind the knee. Unfortunately it's not terribly uncommon to have most of my entire right leg ache from ankle to hip. The leg aches started my very first week of withdrawal and have been with me more than 95% of the time. OTC meds like Advil, Aspirin, Alieve, and Tylenol, have little effect on the pain even if I take all four at once which I have more than a few times until I figured out they didn't offer much relief.

I've asked questions but never received any real answers from other leg pain sufferers. I had a severe right knee injury when I was 12 years old and my knee has caused me problems on and off my entire life, but... It's not the same type of pain such as over doing it on the treadmill, but I wonder if my CNS has focused on this weak/damaged area of my body. Additionally, I'm curious if being right handed would cause more aches in my right leg? Questions I don't have answers to.

As far as leg weakness, I don't have problems standing, walking, or engaging in other normal everyday activities. It's just a constant pain that starts to wear on you after so many months.

I hope this helps with your questions.

If I can do this, ANYONE can!

Thanks TrueSouth.  Congratulations on your healing.  Sounds like it won't be long until you are 100%.  I always enjoy reading your post, as they always have a positive tone to them.

I appreciate your going into detail with your leg symptoms as this is my most debilitating symptom.  Mine is more like I've ran a marathon.  The pain starts as soon as I get on my feet in the mornings.  I'm able to walk but it is always painful.  I manage in a store by using the carts.  It is difficult just standing more than anything else.  I do have intense aching in both legs.  I also have pain in one knee and have had pain behind my knee before benzos.  I think that is just from either damage to the  meniscus or arthritis and doesn't have anything to do with withdrawal.

I hope yours gets better for you soon!

Mama :smitten:

I'm already doing about 800 mg of magnesium glycinate. It's helped my palps. I just wonder if it's covering up symptoms and I'm no really healing because if I miss a dose I feel it. Hate being stuck on a pill even if it is just a mineral.

Healingslowly, you ARE healing. Magnesium is considered a vital nutrient since this little miracle mineral runs the show in the body (see Magnesium Miracle/Carolyn Dean, or The Magnesium Factor/Mildred Seeling). Stress will increase our mag "burn rate" on  a daily basis so that means what you took last week ain't gonna cover you this week - it's an ongoing need. (You could always get your RBC magnesium checked (to verify if you're deficient or not), or even a hair tissue mineral analysis (HTMA) to see what your mineral status/ratios are overall. But I'll always take a little magnesium to keep things balanced since we don't typically get enough in our foods. If you experienced an improvement in your palps from taking magnesium, you must have needed it and the body responded well. Are you supporting your adrenals with good nutrition?

Btw, this may encourage you: I'm re-reading a book by Dr. Stuart Shipko, and he does not think Xanax is the worst benzo to come off of, as he has helped many of his patients safely taper and recover well. I hope something here helps. Hang in there! Wish I were already off my xanax!

VCharis :smitten:

TrueSouth, so glad to hear the depression's gone. Still struggling with some here but you encourage me!

Mama2, I am so sorry you're dealing with that leg pain...and you mentioned arthritis - could that part be inflammation? Sending a hug  :therethere:

Hello, friends.  :smitten: Please bear with me as I'm trying to mentally prepare for my taper. Since my worst interdose w/d issues include heart and BP stuff, I sure don't wanna rush anything. I've followed suggestions here to stick with 3 regular doses instead of the awful PRN dosing I did for years. I'll admit, I did not like having to updose slightly to add two tiny doses, but it does seem I'm better. 

Since reinstating 3 regular doses, I'm getting better (more stable) with less episodes of BP/adrenaline surges & irregular HB. But my CNS is still VERY fragile and easily stressed. In fact, everything stresses me...I feel vulnerable to people and events and have lived like a hermit for 8 weeks, fearful of those adrenaline surges. Been 5 wks at this particular dosing and holding. I even sleep, but not enough.

How do I know when to move forward with my LT?

Okay, reposting in case my question was missed. Feedback appreciated. I was told to stick to regular dosing for 2-3 weeks to stabilize before beginning my taper. I've been holding nearly 6 wks now; doing better. In light of what I shared above is it time to proceed? Some have told me that we don't always fully stabilize anyway. Is this correct? I'm taking my xanax 8 hrs. apart. Was never taking more than once, maybe twice daily EVER. In Dr. Shipko's book Xanax Withdrawal, he successfully tapered patients off xanax who only took 2-3 doses daily. Naturally I hoped to do the same.

Main concern - are the milder adrenaline surges a remnant of a frazzled CNS that's trying to stabilize, or is it interdose w/d still? Or are those two things the same? lol ... I would go quickly to a 4th dose if needed.  But it doesn't make sense to load up on extra xanax if not necessary.

Please advise when you have time. I understand nobody here can "tell me what to do" but I need input/insight/wisdom at this juncture so I can make my decisions. Don't wanna hang too long at the same dose if it's not necessary. I'm sure you understand!  :smitten:

Thanks, peeps - appreciate you all.  :smitten:

Hugs,

VCharis

How do I know when to move forward with my LT?

Okay, reposting in case my question was missed. Feedback appreciated. I was told to stick to regular dosing for 2-3 weeks to stabilize before beginning my taper. I've been holding nearly 6 wks now; doing better. In light of what I shared above is it time to proceed? Some have told me that we don't always fully stabilize anyway. Is this correct? I'm taking my xanax 8 hrs. apart. Was never taking more than once, maybe twice daily EVER. In Dr. Shipko's book Xanax Withdrawal, he successfully tapered patients off xanax who only took 2-3 doses daily. Naturally I hoped to do the same.

Main concern - are the milder adrenaline surges a remnant of a frazzled CNS that's trying to stabilize, or is it interdose w/d still? Or are those two things the same? lol ... I would go quickly to a 4th dose if needed.  But it doesn't make sense to load up on extra xanax if not necessary.

Please advise when you have time. I understand nobody here can "tell me what to do" but I need input/insight/wisdom at this juncture so I can make my decisions. Don't wanna hang too long at the same dose if it's not necessary. I'm sure you understand!  :smitten:

Thanks, peeps - appreciate you all.  :smitten:

Hugs,

VCharis

Hi VCharis,

As you know, I was an "extreme" case, but I'll tell you how I approached my taper:

I followed Juliea's advice using the .0625 taper.  At about 4 months in, I knew I was going to have a very difficult time.  While I still was still cognitively functioning, I made a plan to keep cutting no matter what.  Seriously, no matter how bad it got I would keep on cutting, and that is what I did all the way down.

I never came close to stabilizing.  But generally within 2-3 weeks I would feel a few symptoms lessen somewhat, and I would cut again.  For me it was a brutal endeavor, but it knew I had to continue or I would never finish.  I wouldn't recommend this kind of taper for everyone.  I was lucky and prepared.  My husband acted as my caregiver, and we got through.

Even for people that have had manageable tapers like mrsalw, this process can be, at the very least, very uncomfortable.  You'll have to get in the right "mindset" and expect some surprises.  I'm not sure there is ever a good time to start a taper. 

Regarding interdose withdrawal:

This became a moot point after a few months of taper as I was symptomatic 24/7.  Perhaps people with more manageable tapers could weigh in....

You can do this VCharis! :thumbsup:

If you've been holding for six weeks at the same dose, it may be time to get started on the LT if that's how you're going to taper.  Any longer and I believe you may be risking going into tolerance again if you haven't already. 

Sounds like you still have some symptoms but often those symptoms don't/won't go away without a higher updose or into recovery. 

Just my opinion.

Challis  :)

Like babyrex, I was never stable after I developed symptoms either.  Not fun, but pretty much reality for those of us who become sensitized.  Bummer.

Challis

Appreciate the input, Babyrex & Challis  :smitten:

I'm sorry your taper was so brutal, though...ugh.  You're amazing. I've had a pretty rough 14 months already so have gotten used to discomfort (although I desperately need to spare my sleep and avoid repeat A-fib since they're threatening me with ablation). I don't think rushing through a cut or taper would be wise in my case but I dont want to drag out the agony either. I admire your tenacity and hope you're doing well these days. THis whole thing is scary. I guess when i ask about being stable in my case, it's a lessening of the adrenaline surges and heart stuff, which I've noticed have decreased greatly (which is good) but not entirely absent. Again, I appreciate you both sharing your experiences.

Hugs,

VCharis

Healingslowly; I'd typed up a response late last night but my tablet died just seconds before I had a chance to post. I'll try again.

Looking at your your history, you made a very quick changeover to Valium and then decided on a rapid taper and jump. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but it looks like your Valium equivalency fell way short of your pre taper Xanax use. I'm guessing you had a tough taper and that may be why you're having a difficult time today. Each of us if different in our benzo journey.

There are those who believe in a slow, steady taper and some who push through quickly. Each one of us has our own reason, but I'm not sure why you decided to move so quickly or why you were originally taking Xanax. It doesn't really matter now, and being men, we tend to see things differently and that includes how we approach our Xanax tapers and jump. When I decided I'd had enough of feeling empty, nothing could deter me. Like you, I was taking an opioid at the same time as the Xanax and had to deal that too. Although not nearly as large a dose as you were taking, we share that experience. Sorry, if I'm wandering a bit here.

Being Benzo free for eight months, you have twice as much time off Xanax as me, but I felt incredible the first two months after jumping. I experienced what alcoholics describe as "riding the pink cloud"  and I was riding it hard and fast with rainbow unicorns! It was liberating to be free after a decade of bondage that it felt like nothing short of a miracle. I was largely able to ignore the lingering physical pain and the anxiety didn't really kick in until month number two.

At four months off, I believe I've noted a pattern of waves hitting me at approximately every 30 days followed by a period of healing. I'm not where I want to be post jump, but I've embraced the notion that this healing process is non linear and long term so I'm digging in for the first year. My Xanax was use was for sleep, not anxiety, so my experience with anxiety post jump is new an uncharted territory for me. I'm guessing those who take it for anxiety may experience additional difficulty post jump, but I can't say for certain. I do know I had a very difficult time even coming to this board during months two and three because it induced anxiety. Weird, but true.

Hang in there and please report back so other will know what to expect.

TrueSouth,

Thank you for opening up about your post-taper experiences. It'll help so many others who are going through their "post-" process as well ;)

Looking forward to joining you in the land of the free soon!!! :)

Mrs. :smitten:

Just figured I'd stop in to let everyone know what's going on in my life.

I was doing pretty bad w/ the Xanax just at night, so I went to the doctors, and he gave me some xanax to take duing the day.  So, all of a sudden I was taking 1mg at night, .25mg in the AM, and 25mg in the afternoon.  It allowed me to stabalize which was helpful because I was basically starting out my taper from a state of tolerance.

I had a psychiatrist appointment, and he wants me off the Xanax.  Wants me to taper .25mg/week.  Scared the heck out of me to tell you the truth, but I've been following his advice so far.  Don't really have a heck of a lot of choice. 

What I have noticed is this time tapering has been easier so far because I'm taking day time doses instead of just xanax at night.  My feelings is if you are just taking xanax at night, then you are basically in withdrawal by the time you wake up, and then just continue to get worse all day, untill your next night time dose.

But, when you take it during the day as well, you aren't constantly going through interdose withdrawal from the time you wake up till night.  Taking it during the day seems to replicate a valium taper in a sense.  Kind of keeps you somewhat stable during the day.

Anyways, I've already tapered down from the 1.5mg total dose to .9mg total dose in about 2 weeks.  The trick I've found is to just keep reducing my night time dose (because that doesn't really help with day time anxiety anyways.  I've also been slightly shaving down my day time doses, and taking only .2mg twice a day now along with the .5mg at night.  My next goal is to drop .25mg  off my night time dose.  That will put me at .2mg in AM, .2mg in afternoon. .25mg at PM (.65mg total) Then probably slow the taper down a tad, and play it by ear.

I have noticed that since dropping my night time dose I've had a hard time sleeping, but the doc gave me 12.5mg seroquel, and I take a bit of melatonin too, and those seem to do the trick.

Also (and this is difficult to say), I've been trying to stay away from this board, and also googling negative stuff about benzo withdrawal, and that seems to be helping.  Before when I was spending a lot of time googling benzo related stuff I'd focus on the negative symptoms, and it was perpetuate more anxiety.  Now, I've set up a bunch of distractions.  Before if I had say... Heart palpitations I'd sit there focusing on them.  Now, I notice them from time to time, but don't really fixate on them as much. 

Anyways, just thought I'd pop in.  Xanax taper sucks, but it's going better.  Hopefully my doc is cool with me slowing down the taper if it gets too bad near the end.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [Ta...]
    • [be...]
    • [Ch...]
    • [Gi...]
    • [En...]
    • [Ct...]
    • [...]
    • [jo...]
    • [Ma...]
    • [SB...]
    • [Ka...]