Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Meal replacement shakes?

[Ca...]

I posted another topic asking what everyone eats. I'm pretty busy most days & have never been a breakfast person- does anyone have any suggestions on meal replacement drinks they've had luck w/? My symptoms have majorly flared up lately & I think mostly due to sugar- so low sugar ones would be great. :) I have a lot of low carb high protein slimfast drinks from before I went through all of the benzo stuff (I basically lived off coffee & used slimfast as my creamer) but I'm not sure if it's even nutritious or if it has hidden ingredients that flare up sumptoms. Any advice would be great! Also if anyone juices, have you found that the juice (if apples & such are added) flare your symptoms? Thanks everyone! Xoxo

I avoid any kind of drinks with sugar in them. My wife picked up some Stevia artificial sweetener. It's taken a couple of weeks to get used to it, but now I put it in my coffee and oatmeal. I don't do the drinks for breakfast thing, but you might try Stevia instead of sugar. It's made from a plant that grows in South America.

For breakfast I'll either have oatmeal or I'll take one large egg and mix it with half a cup of Eggbeaters, which comes to the equivalent of three eggs. I'll usually toss on some chopped onions, red or green bell peppers, and soften them up a bit before adding the eggs and making scrambled eggs.

I don't eat fruits because they have too much sugar and I have Type 2 diabetes. It's a shame, because my grapefruit tree is full of 200 or so ripe grapefruit, which I'm picking tomorrow and my wife is taking them to friends and co-workers. My oranges will be ready in another couple of weeks and those, too, will go to family or friends. Oh, well.

Seriously, try Stevia. It's not bad...

I have never found a pre made shake I like. All a meal replacement shake is is a drink that contains protein, fat and carbs. You can easily make your own with some basic stuff and you might even have most of it already.

Pick up some Designer Whey or other low carb protein powder and mix it with milk or almond milk (or anything liquid for that matter). Add some fat (peanut butter, flax seed, heavy cream, ice cream, etc) and some carbs if you desire (ground up oatmeal, fruit)

This way you can make it taste the way you like and you can control what goes in it.