Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Tenacious Tinnitus Club – Ear Pressure, Noise and Hyperacusis

[Bi...]

They prescribed it for sleep. I was recovering from a concussion and a side effect of that was broken sleep. The doctor told me it was safe and no risks. I ct'd only because I eventually realized it was giving me horrible side effects that I originally attributed to my concussion. I had no idea you aren't supposed to because I thought it was just a sleep aid. When I started having flu symptoms that were getting worse after a week off I called the doctor and they said there was no way it was this drug. I was taking 1mg consistently for 3.5 weeks before I went off... missing maybe 5 doses/days within that.

I'm hopeful it does go away.  Most people seem to say it will, despite there being so many people on this site still fighting it.  I went to the Mayo after my horrible experience with a local doctor, and they are convinced it will gradually and eventually go away.  I'm hopeful for that, but it's tough to believe when it's so bad right now and I have no idea what their experience really is with people going though benzo withdrawal.  Though, they did tell me they were aware of the issues with benzos and did believe I was going through it.

Whats happens in the next 4 months will tell you much.  Why did they prescribe it?  Why did you feel the need to C/T it? Did you have side effects?  What was your dose during that time?

Do people believe they truly can heal from T? I just don't see many success stories and it's so discouraging. I've had it really badly for a month now after taking clonazapam for only a month and CTing it.  Everyone says it will get better but it's my only symptom that has gotten worse. I don't have hearing loss but am struggling with it. I randomly have very weird things happen to my T too like suddenly it gets really loud out of no where and then goes back to normal. My normal is already very loud though. It's also mostly in my left ear and gets louder if I turn my head all the way to one side. I don't know what to think...

Hi HC,  I know lots of people around BB who took less than you did and for only 4 weeks and they have been fighting Tinnitus for 2 or 3 years after jumping.  Then again some people never get tinnitus at all.  It's my only SX left but it's horrible.  The scary part is that once you get this weird benzo w/d induced tinnitus not even the benzo's can take it away again so even a reinstate does not work so well for many people once they get tinnitus.  Then again some people heal from it after 4 to 6 months. 

We all have genetic weak spots and for some of us its our ears that get nailed.  99% of all my withdrawal was in the ears including extreme balance problems in the vestibular system too.  I do feel much better now but there can be no peace in my world while my ears are RRRRRRIIIIINNGGGGGIIINNNNGGG away  :(

Your not alone if it's any comfort.  I finally had to get maskers (hearing aids with MP3 player/blue tooth capabilities) and just bury the tinnitus in white noise, water falls, crickets and other music sounds.  Bedtime is the worst time as I have to take off my maskers but luckily you can't hear tinnitus in your sleep.   

As a side note I see the word C/T appear with the words loud tinnitus more often than not and people that have had there tinnitus go away did slow tapers.  I have to wonder if there is a connection to C/T's and nagging tinnitus?

Also I do not get sea sick any longer.  What's the deal with that?  My balance system is so screwed I can't even get seasick any longer.  Any one notice that?  I also have bad balance now.

They prescribed it for sleep. I was recovering from a concussion and a side effect of that was broken sleep. The doctor told me it was safe and no risks. I ct'd only because I eventually realized it was giving me horrible side effects that I originally attributed to my concussion. I had no idea you aren't supposed to because I thought it was just a sleep aid. When I started having flu symptoms that were getting worse after a week off I called the doctor and they said there was no way it was this drug. I was taking 1mg consistently for 3.5 weeks before I went off... missing maybe 5 doses/days within that.

1 mg of K is a big dose for a first timer.  It's never too late to taper if your in hell.  But if you can take it just stick it out.  Getting deep sleep heals people faster so I used over the counter cold medication for a while. Benadryl worked for me.

You're telling me... my prescription actually says "take 1 to 2 pills nightly for sleep". I'm glad I never took 2 (2mg). I'm suffering mainly from tinnitus at this point. That's really my main concern.  I have anxiety and depression but I'm handling that. I never had them before this drug.

1 mg of K is a big dose for a first timer.  It's never too late to taper if your in hell.  But if you can take it just stick it out.  Getting deep sleep heals people faster so I used over the counter cold medication for a while. Benadryl worked for me.

I know I'm the type of person who focuses on the negative because I'm a type A person. I obsess over imperfection and fear the unknown. I guess I'm looking for hope. Do people actually heal from T when it's caused by benzos? I know there's a lot of people here who are still healing... but do some people truly have it go away?

Hockeyaddict link=topic=96554.msg1912084#msg1912084 date=1442890327]

You're telling me... my prescription actually says "take 1 to 2 pills nightly for sleep". I'm glad I never took 2 (2mg). I'm suffering mainly from tinnitus at this point. That's really my main concern.  I have anxiety and depression but I'm handling that. I never had them before this drug.

1mg for a month and you could have taken 2mg?  Wow you got lucky!    If you had taken 2mg it would be about 400% worse right now is my guess.  That's like 40mg valium!    Ouch!! 

You will be just fine but it can take a while so just hang in there.

I usually notice my tinnitus the most when I go to bed at night.  Last night the strangest thing happened.  When I turned off the tv, my tinnitus became unusually loud and piercing.  Then it suddenly stopped.  Almost completely.  I don't remember anything else because I went to sleep.  Has anyone experienced this?  It's back to it's normal somewhat annoying volume today.

I usually notice my tinnitus the most when I go to bed at night.  Last night the strangest thing happened.  When I turned off the tv, my tinnitus became unusually loud and piercing.  Then it suddenly stopped.  Almost completely.  I don't remember anything else because I went to sleep.  Has anyone experienced this?  It's back to it's normal somewhat annoying volume today.

That must be nice :)  I only had a few moments of total silence here and there in the last few years.

I noticed your on gabapentin.  Depending on the food you eat it can sometimes amplify the absorption of gabapentin up to 200% and that can make a difference in tinnitus perception.  gabapentin has a stronger effect with high acid foods and things like cup-cakes and coffee cake just about kills it.  Gabapentin always had a BIG bug and that was absorption so you never get the same dose everyday, it's the main reason they made Lyrica to fix the absorption problems.  Gabapentin tolerance is a 'roller-coaster' ride.  I will only take gabapentin on a very empty stomach and then not eat for a few hours after.

Wow, that's interesting about the gabapentin.  It's a drug I wish I'd never been put on and a hard one to get off of.  So last night I ate a bagel about an hour before I went to bed.  That was really unusual for me but I was really hungry.  I wonder if that had something to do with it?

I'm down to sub .5 mg in my taper now, and over the last week, I began experiencing tinnitus AFTER I took my bedtime dose of valium, Gabapentin and Trazodone, and no other time. I experienced it between approx 1 and 2 hours after my dose, and by morning it was gone. I figured it must then be the one of those meds causing it, and I reduced the Gabapentin and Trazodone. That worked for 2 nights, but on the 3rd, it was back, and now, today, I also woke up with it. About a half hour ago, I took 1mg valium and 300mg of Gabapentin to see. No real difference, and that knee-jerk reaction was not smart.

As Tinnitus is related to withdrawal, it seems weird to me to experience it after taking meds. Any thoughts on this? Anyone experience anything like this? Feedback very much appreciated.

Steve

I decide to go to an ENT clinic that specializes in T. The good news is I have no hearing loss. They told me I have better than normal hearing actually. They seemed surprised I was there. Then I told them it started after taking c-pam. They said it should probably go away in time but they had never heard of this drug causing T... which is funny since it seems to be so common on here. 

Then he wanted me to start taking an anti anxiety med to help with it plus a steroid pack. I told him there's no way I'm taking the anxiety med and I'm thinking I probably won't take the steroid either

I decide to go to an ENT clinic that specializes in T. The good news is I have no hearing loss. They told me I have better than normal hearing actually. They seemed surprised I was there. Then I told them it started after taking c-pam. They said it should probably go away in time but they had never heard of this drug causing T... which is funny since it seems to be so common on here. 

Then he wanted me to start taking an anti anxiety med to help with it plus a steroid pack. I told him there's no way I'm taking the anxiety med and I'm thinking I probably won't take the steroid either

Benzo's are the number 1 drugs to help tinnitus as well as the number drug 1 that causes tinnitus when tapering.  Anything that can help tinnitus can give you tinnitus, basic circular logic here. Anything that helps that brain also weakens that part of the brain.  With humans having a 83 year life span and having to up dose for decades that leads to a whopping big dose by the time your 83 years old.  I'd rather not take benzo's for the next 28 years assuming I get that old.

Birdman,

if you read this, i wanted to tell you that i will be starting sublingual oxytocin soon. remember that oxytocin thread you started? i knew i would try it out at some point. i really hope it doesn't rev me up of cause any kind of setback. i took some baclofen last week that caused a severe setback. i simply cannot take any GABAergic drugs or remeron and elavil for that matter. all drugs are out for me so i am hoping that the oxytocin will be okay. i am able to take melatonin so i figure the oxytocin shouldn't be a problem. do you know if oxytocin acts on any of the GABA receptor's? or does it only work on the oxytocin receptor's.

thanks,

Pretty

Birdman,

if you read this, i wanted to tell you that i will be starting sublingual oxytocin soon. remember that oxytocin thread you started? i knew i would try it out at some point. i really hope it doesn't rev me up of cause any kind of setback. i took some baclofen last week that caused a severe setback. i simply cannot take any GABAergic drugs or remeron and elavil for that matter. all drugs are out for me so i am hoping that the oxytocin will be okay. i am able to take melatonin so i figure the oxytocin shouldn't be a problem. do you know if oxytocin acts on any of the GABA receptor's? or does it only work on the oxytocin receptor's.

thanks,

Pretty

Hi Pretty,  the oxytocin nasal spray worked great for a while but I got depression when I quit.  I mean heart crushing depression like my lover had just had an affair!    I also got quirky on it with foods and TV show's.  I ate some dried pineapple rings after a double shot of oxytocin and now I love the things 2 years later.  I hate dried fruit!!! WTF? 

I also noticed that if I watched crappy TV shows while on oxytocin I got hooked to the series.  I started FIREFLY while taking oxytocin.  HOW could they STOP that series after only one season?? (see what I mean  :laugh:)

Be careful with it, Oxytocin is the reason Wolfs have been known to raise orphaned children in the wild, True, Really!  It's also the reason wolfs turned into dogs after 10,000 years. POWERFUL STUFF!!!  Be mindful of your environment when you take it. If there's a Justin Beaver special on TV when you take it please be sure you unplug the TV first ;)

Birdman,

thanks,

Pretty

Hi Pretty,  the oxytocin nasal spray worked great for a while but I got depression when I quit.  I mean heart crushing depression like my lover had just had an affair!    I also got quirky on it with foods and TV show's.  I ate some dried pineapple rings after a double shot of oxytocin and now I love the things 2 years later.  I hate dried fruit!!! WTF? 

I also noticed that if I watched crappy TV shows while on oxytocin I got hooked to the series.  I started FIREFLY while taking oxytocin.  HOW could they STOP that series after only one season?? (see what I mean  :laugh:)

Be careful with it, Oxytocin is the reason Wolfs have been known to raise orphaned children in the wild, True, Really!  It's also the reason wolfs turned into dogs after 10,000 years. POWERFUL STUFF!!!  Be mindful of your environment when you take it. If there's a Justin Beaver special on TV when you take it please be sure you unplug the TV first ;)

thanks birdman! ~  i will be mindful.

do you know if the oxytocin acts on the GABA or just the oxytocin receptor's. i will let you know how it works for me. would love to find your oxytocin thread if you're able to retrieve it?

Birdman,

thanks,

Pretty

Just in Beaver?  :D Hey Pretty...Remember this?

:laugh:

Snowy :smitten:

Birdman,

thanks,

Pretty

do you know if the oxytocin acts on the GABA or just the oxytocin receptor's. i will let you know how it works for me. would love to find your oxytocin thread if you're able to retrieve it?

It has no direct action on gaba but it's powerful hormone.  Have you ever loved something so bad that it hurt?  That's the kind of thing regulated by oxytocin.  Butterfly's in the stomach and all emotion's that you can feel in your heart, chest and stomach are usually oxytocin or epinephrine based.  When Mom's first bond to babies oxytocin levels are off the charts.  It's a bonding hormone and it can regulate happiness AS LONG as you are close to what you have just bonded with. 

They say to try bonding with a teddy-bear or even a good-luck charm.  This way whenever you see these objects they can bring out intense joy and comfort when with them.  Ever wonder why kids get so attached to their favorite stuffed animal?  Oxytocin!  Yes it's for real.

Birdman,

thanks,

Pretty

Just in Beaver?  :D Hey Pretty...Remember this?

:laugh:

Snowy :smitten:

Snowy, you have a one track mind. :o8)::)

Birdman,

thanks,

Pretty

It has no direct action on gaba but it's powerful hormone.  Have you ever loved something so bad that it hurt?  That's the kind of thing regulated by oxytocin.  Butterfly's in the stomach and all emotion's that you can feel in your heart, chest and stomach are usually oxytocin or epinephrine based.  When Mom's first bond to babies oxytocin levels are off the charts.  It's a bonding hormone and it can regulate happiness AS LONG as you are close to what you have just bonded with. 

They say to try bonding with a teddy-bear or even a good-luck charm.  This way whenever you see these objects they can bring out intense joy and comfort when with them.  Ever wonder why kids get so attached to their favorite stuffed animal?  Oxytocin!  Yes it's for real.

when i was five years old i lost my Thumbalina (moving) doll that i thought was really real in Balboa Park and was traumatized. i seriously think that was the start of the trauma for me. i can't believe the intensity of the loss i felt. she was so real to me because she moved around too when you pulled the string in the back.

that HIMYM "beaver" episode is hilarious.

Birdman,

thanks,

Pretty

when i was five years old i lost my Thumbalina (moving) doll that i thought was really real in Balboa Park and was traumatized. i seriously think that was the start of the trauma for me. i can't believe the intensity of the loss i felt. she was so real to me because she moved around too when you pulled the string in the back.

that HIMYM "beaver" episode is hilarious.

Please do not take oxytocin while watching the "HIMYM beaver episode"  ;D:laugh:

Please do not take oxytocin while watching the "HIMYM beaver episode"  ;D:laugh:

That explains why I always loved those furry little critters.  :idiot:  >:D  :-*http://www.savemenow.eu/uploads/4/1/5/3/41537563/8485401_orig.jpg

Snowy  :)

Here Birdie!  :) :) http://www.majorgeeks.com/news/file/4047_bieberbeaver.jpg

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

SNOWY, your freaking me out a bit :D

Your cracking me up today and I've been eating too many cookies  :o  ;D:D

Here Birdie!  :) :) http://www.majorgeeks.com/news/file/4047_bieberbeaver.jpg

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

SNOWY, your freaking me out a bit :D

Your cracking me up today and I've been eating too many cookies  :o  ;D:D

LoL, I'm just glad to see you laughing again. :smitten: Hey...Gimme some of those cookies.  8):D Birdie, you deserve a break.  :thumbsup::therethere:

Love ya buddy,

Snowy 8):-*  :smitten:

• 3 weeks later...

Has anybody else got Hyperacusis so bad that even vibration causes pain? Even moving my head or neck sounds like a bomb going off in my brain when I got earplugs in and I can't not go without them, and the vibration from my own footsteps do the same. I have to eat with them in and the crunching noise is terrible too.

I also feel sick with it sometimes and my balance gets bad on times, and I just found an article on vestibular hyperacusis that will have this effect, but balance problems and nausea is  also known Benzo withdrawal symptoms in their own right. But now I think its possible that maybe its  vestibular hyperacusis in some cases.

vestibular hyperacusis  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vestibular_hyperacusis

Love Nova xxx  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: