Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Tenacious Tinnitus Club – Ear Pressure, Noise and Hyperacusis

[Bi...]

Hi all! Thought I would join in...waited a while because I was prescribed diazepam/lorazepam for tinnitus, so unfortunately, this was pre existing.

Would be nice if someday it would go away...I'll never say never!!!

Be well!!

Wow!  I never knew about this drug.  I just wonder about the long-term effects.  The guy in the video likes it so much he says he would still take it, even if it shortened his life.  That must be one feel-good drug!

PD

Hi PD, the withdrawal from Provigil is directly OPPOSITE of a benzo w/d so researchers are looking at it for benzo w/d and to shorten benzo PAWS - I have no idea but like to keep informed  :)

Hi all! Thought I would join in...waited a while because I was prescribed diazepam/lorazepam for tinnitus, so unfortunately, this was pre existing.

Would be nice if someday it would go away...I'll never say never!!!

Be well!!

Welcome GMIT - We all agree on one thing here - TINNITUS and hyperacusis SUCKS.

Did you find it helped and then it come back?

Wow!  I never knew about this drug.  I just wonder about the long-term effects.  The guy in the video likes it so much he says he would still take it, even if it shortened his life.  That must be one feel-good drug!

PD

Hi PD, the withdrawal from Provigil is directly OPPOSITE of a benzo w/d so researchers are looking at it for benzo w/d and to shorten benzo PAWS - I have no idea but like to keep informed  :)

This is a weird drug.  I was reading and people said if you take it you get a mild form of benzo withdrawal complete with ears ringing, vivid color and sounds as it over actives the glutamate system just like benzo withdrawal does.

NOW the weird thing is that WITHDRAWING from this drug give people benzo like calmness and tranquilizes them. Including LESS tinnitus and less sensitively to sound (LESS hyperacusis)

REPOST

This is a weird drug.  I was reading and people said if you take it you get a mild form of benzo withdrawal complete with ears ringing, vivid color and sounds as it over actives the glutamate system just like benzo withdrawal does.

NOW the weird thing is that WITHDRAWING from this drug give people benzo like calmness and tranquilizes them. Including LESS tinnitus and less sensitively to sound (LESS hyperacusis)

ref http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modafinil

Modafinil's substantial, but incomplete, independence from both monoaminergic systems and those of the orexin peptides has proven difficult to explain, in contrast to the better-understood mechanisms of stimulants such as cocaine or substituted amphetamines. Alternative mechanisms of action that have been proposed include the activation of glutamatergic circuits while inhibiting GABAergic neurotransmission.[21][116] Enhanced electrotonic coupling by enhancing the effectiveness of direct gap junctions between neurons has also been suggested by several studies.

VIDEO http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAKS0aVhGto

SO withdrawal is like taking benzo's  THIS IS SO WEIRD!!  This is the first drug to work on the REVERSE principle of a benzo!

Could it be used to HELP Benzo PAWS by flipping brain chemistry over to the other side to glutamate heavy side for a short while?  After all withdrawal has tranquilizing symptoms like taking a benzo for the first time!!  HMMMM?

Question~ Does the hyperacusis go away when the tinnitus goes away? My tinnitus is down, but I don't see any change with the hyperacusis. thanks

Question~ Does the hyperacusis go away when the tinnitus goes away? My tinnitus is down, but I don't see any change with the hyperacusis. thanks

It's so different for everybody. The way I have seen it work in so many others is that the hyperacusis goes away and leaves them with tinnitus for a while, but we are all different.

Benzo withdrawal hits your weakness point like the predator it is.

This is becoming my worst sxs right now. I just finished taking an antibiotic and I think it's made it much worse.

what was the name of the antibiotic?  If you google ototoxic drugs there are lists and certain antibiotics are on there.

My tinnitus seems to have changed today.  I woke up with it being a little bit quieter.  Also, there have been some sharp noises in my ear but it goes away...sort of like when you swallow and the pressure in your ears are balancing.  Also, a couple of sharp pains.  They hyperacusis seems to be better at times.  My tinnitus changed a couple of weeks ago where it was better in the morning and started getting louder in the late afternoon to the evening.  I am so very very afraid my body is just tricking me but I can't help but wonder if my ears are trying to readjust.  Anyone else have theirs get better or quieter?  If so did it happen just all at once or in stages?

My ears seem to be very slowly getting better, with episodes of increased volume, but with the overall trend being that the tinnitus volume is decreasing.  So mine was definitely not all at once, but in stages.

My ears seem to be very slowly getting better, with episodes of increased volume, but with the overall trend being that the tinnitus volume is decreasing.  So mine was definitely not all at once, but in stages.

Hi PD. This is great to hear. 8)

Hey snoball, how did you sneak on here?  I didn't think you were around tonight, and then all of a sudden there's your post!  Thank you so much my friend.  It means a lot to know someone cares.  :smitten:

PD

Hey snoball, how did you sneak on here?  I didn't think you were around tonight, and then all of a sudden there's your post!  Thank you so much my friend.  It means a lot to know someone cares.  :smitten:

PD

Aww I always care. :hug:

Perfect daughter...at what point after jump off did you notice it starting to get some better.  Yesterday and today the volume seems a little bit better but the hyperacusis is worse.  I'm happy yours seems to be improving.

downtongirl, I'll have to be honest, mine actually started prior to benzos but did become worse while I was on klonopin.  So, my healing process may not be the same as those who have benzo withdrawal-induced tinnitus.  But anway, I noticed mine getting better after starting Zoloft, which enabled me to sleep.  Before starting Zoloft I was hardly sleeping a all.  The more I slept, the better it got.  I don't know if the Zoloft was a factor in helping my tinnitus, but I do know that after starting it my depression and anxiety lessened.  So I'm thinking all of this combined is probably what helped my tinnitus to lessen.  I took Zoloft for 2 months and then started Kanna.  My tinnitus has continued to lessen over the past year, even though I'm no longer on Zoloft.  It's been an extremely slow process, but that's OK, as long as it keeps getting better.  I'm hoping it will eventually go away completely, but even if it doesn't, it's at a point that it's tolerable now.

PD 

Thanks for the reply perfect daughter.  Did you have the ear pressure/fullness and sensitivity to sound with yours?

Are there ant OTC or supplements to help this it's getting awful in the morning it's so loud it wakes me up and I can't get back to sleep. HORRIBLE.

Thanks for the reply perfect daughter.  Did you have the ear pressure/fullness and sensitivity to sound with yours?

I went through a period of time when I had both echoing in my ears and increased sound sensitivity.  I no longer have that, but I do have the sensation of ear fullness with tinnitus.

Are there ant OTC or supplements to help this it's getting awful in the morning it's so loud it wakes me up and I can't get back to sleep. HORRIBLE.

Here's an article that has some suggestions for tinnitus remedies... http://www.naturalnews.com/045817_tinnitus_natural_remedies_B_vitamins.html

Hi

Has anyone here had an INCREASE in your Tinnitus, noise issue's the further out

in healing?

Before, I had increased Sxs in PM, trying to sleep. Especially T. Now its in the AM

RINGING loud and clear.

The noise issues well, I do startle easily.

Noticed an uptick when I was grocery shopping, and EVERY

beep I heard as items passed through checkout. I wasn't even at

the checkout line. Got my attention. I've always have had noise

& light sensitivities since childhood.

Will this improve?

Hi

Has anyone here had an INCREASE in your Tinnitus, noise issue's the further out

in healing?

Before, I had increased Sxs in PM, trying to sleep. Especially T. Now its in the AM

RINGING loud and clear.

The noise issues well, I do startle easily.

Noticed an uptick when I was grocery shopping, and EVERY

beep I heard as items passed through checkout. I wasn't even at

the checkout line. Got my attention. I've always have had noise

& light sensitivities since childhood.

Will this improve?

You took xanax 17 years and only completed taper a few months ago.

It is to soon to think you are improving and declining.

It will improve but it is not linear and as I said, it's just too soon .

I'm 16 months off. Over the past week or so I've developed a new sound in my right ear, which I'm fairly distraught about. I do not know if this relates much to benzos at this point; I may just have a complex of ear/jaw/neck problems that has a life of its own.

For most of the past year and a half (as well as the last couple years of my taper), my tinnitus has been extremely high pitched electrical noises (12-14khz tones) that travel around my head but are largely focused on the left (where I have some mild to moderate high-frequency hearing loss). This new noise is more of a classic "ringing" (maybe 5-6 khz?), focused entirely on the right side. I don't know what to make of this; it is quite distressing and causing me anxiety and depression. I don't know what to do about it other than to continue to meditate/exercise a lot, sleep the most normal hours I can, and stay off of benzos.

I have been riding a motorcycle for most of the past year, and I've been very good about wearing earplugs in addition to other safety gear. None the less, I can't escape the possibility that even with earplugs on this is contributing to my ear woes, and that makes me sad -- I very much enjoy riding it, but I can't at this point because if I'm not sure it's not hurting me, then it frightens me.

Hey there xerxes, if you can still hear frequencies as high as 12-14khz you have really good hearing or you are still seasonably young...or both.

The frequencies I hear are in the 6k to maybe 8k. And that's pretty high for the norm. Sounds like a steam kettle as a base with various lower frequencies jumping in on the left side now and then. I'd say around 2khz to 3khz. I was very surprised about five days ago when suddenly a very (relatively) low tone popped into the right side of my brain. I went straight to the piano to see what it was and behold it was G and octave above middle C. That is 788.99khz.  It only lasted about a minute and then faded out.

And yes, Notforme, my Tinnitus has increased in volume. Where it is always been pretty loud at night it is even louder in the morning. Gets quieter during the day and then begins to crescendo again in the afternoon. Isn't this fun?  :idiot::crazy::idiot::crazy::laugh: