Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Tenacious Tinnitus Club – Ear Pressure, Noise and Hyperacusis

[Bi...]

Thanks PD,  I think baclofen is in the same catagory as propofol. I do not know if I screwed myself being on this drug now.

Dear Lisa, Baclofen is a derivative of GABA and is used to treat spasticity. It main use is as a muscle relaxant.

Propofol is a short acting intravenous hypnotic anesthetic used for general anesthesia.

They are chemically unrelated and are not related.

Doc

Thanks Doc.  Then I will ask for Propofol on my next exam  :o :o :o :o :o :o

I hate those exams  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :laugh:

Is It a good sign when your tinnitus/hyperacusis gets better for a portion of the day and then goes back to the way it was?  I am hoping this means I am healing and that it will eventually go away completely.  Could this just be a tease?  honestly please...I don't want to have hope if there may be none.  I'm a realist!

Is It a good sign when your tinnitus/hyperacusis gets better for a portion of the day and then goes back to the way it was?  I am hoping this means I am healing and that it will eventually go away completely.  Could this just be a tease?  honestly please...I don't want to have hope if there may be none.  I'm a realist!

For me morning are almost no tinnitus for the first 10 minutes and then it starts creeping in.  By bed time it's bad again.  Then it resets at about 4:00AM during the deepest sleep when your brain gets flooded with GABA.  Everyday is a little better for me, it just takes a long time to get over tranquilizers and the brain changes they do to us.

I am so exhausted by the whole deal I just read the thread on occasion.  I have been in cycles all they way down from 22 mg to .75 with out significant changes. I thought the perfect or good days were windows but now I am inclined to think it is just a cycle with the tinnitus ready to drop the other shoe. It is the way it is. On the good days there were always BAD TINNITUS at wake ups in the middle of the night. It like a whaling STATIC. Then there were periods a days with UNRELENTING TINNITUS which settled down.

What helps me? Being OUT of the house and busy rather than sitting in quiet rooms and focusing on it. Not adding in elective STRESS.

The use of ear buds with my laptop to. mask difficult times especially in the middle of the night.

They say withdrawal hits us in our weakest areas and I have lost the upper range in my hearing to start with. Tinnitus fills that void at times and regular hearing aids do not help.

So to answer your question more fully for me....hopefully OFF will provide a chance for real healing instead of these cycles as I am not counting on GINGO BILOBA...lol. Sorry if that experience depresses you plus I am sure a subclinical dose of .75 does nothing. Why people post they are 1/10 of mg 0.1mg is beyond my comprehension as well.

i wore sunglasses inside 2 hours this morning and an hour yesterday when i used computer and watched tv , that seemed to lessen my tinnitus

i wore sunglasses inside 2 hours this morning and an hour yesterday when i used computer and watched tv , that seemed to lessen my tinnitus

Hi Babyangel, that's actually smart.  I noticed a similar thing about light.  When I would get up to pee at about 5:00 in the morning I used to turn on the light so I would not break my toes walking in the dark and within 2 minutes I could hear it getting worse fast.  Now I keep it dark and try not to look at any of the night lights in the room and keep my eyes closed as much as possible. I am getting good at being blind ;)  I think when we see light in the morning it triggers and bunch of hormones that rev us up for the days events.  I will try it and I also just turned the brightness of my monitor to low.  It's a great trick with the sun glasses :thumbsup:

Thanks for mentioning it.

your welcome birdman, the sunglasses im wearing the lenses are amber colored, i saw online before some sunglasses that are made for all day video gamers they were amber colored i found some amber colored lens glasses at the $1 dollar tree store, i keep my contrast/ brightness still a lil dark at 70%

your welcome birdman, the sunglasses im wearing the lenses are amber colored, i saw online before some sunglasses that are made for all day video gamers they were amber colored i found some amber colored lens glasses at the $1 dollar tree store, i keep my contrast/ brightness still a lil dark at 70%

OK my hubby said I look like rock star  8) 8) 8) 8)

For those who have had their tinnitus/hyperacusis go away or drastically decrease at what time frame did this happen?  I am so afraid I am stuck with it.  Or maybe I always had it but the antidepressants/benzos just covered it up for almost 18 years.

For those who have had their tinnitus/hyperacusis go away or drastically decrease at what time frame did this happen?  I am so afraid I am stuck with it.  Or maybe I always had it but the antidepressants/benzos just covered it up for almost 18 years.

I've seen reports on here of it fading out in the first six months after a taper or C/T, and other reports where it did go away but took 2-3 years or even longer. Very tricky to predict, probably depends on a lot of things. The T I have now is worse than the T I had before I started taking benzos, and I've been off for ~16 months -- but I'm taking it day by day.

I've seen reports on here of it fading out in the first six months after a taper or C/T, and other reports where it did go away but took 2-3 years or even longer. Very tricky to predict, probably depends on a lot of things. The T I have now is worse than the T I had before I started taking benzos, and I've been off for ~16 months -- but I'm taking it day by day.

Sad but true

Anyone elses tinnitus get worse around 8 pm?  Mine does and last night it screamed at me the entire time I tried to sleep.  Also it is painful.  Very frustrated.

Anyone elses tinnitus get worse around 8 pm?  Mine does and last night it screamed at me the entire time I tried to sleep.  Also it is painful.  Very frustrated.

Have you tried holding on the gabapentin taper? Did you ever try a one day up dose just as a test?  Sometimes the T vanishes.  Then you can taper down with the confidence that it will go away. I did a few up doses and the T was gone.  Sometimes that's enough just knowing that we have control over it.  Last night at 9:00 PM my T was very loud.  I blasted my ears with loud white noise.  It helps.  I just keep on healing and suffering knowing it will be gone some day.

Have you tried holding on the gabapentin taper? Did you ever try a one day up dose just as a test?  Sometimes the T vanishes.  Then you can taper down with the confidence that it will go away. I did a few up doses and the T was gone.  Sometimes that's enough just knowing that we have control over it.  Last night at 9:00 PM my T was very loud.  I blasted my ears with loud white noise.  It helps.  I just keep on healing and suffering knowing it will be gone some day.

Birdman...I still had the tinnitus when on the gabapentin...my tinnitus/hyperacusis did get worse this week since I lowered my dose of Cymbalta from 60 - 30 mg....I went back up at lunch today to the 60 mg of Cymbalta due to the withdrawals...think I should try a gabapentin just even though I had tinnitus on gabapentin too?

Birdman...I still had the tinnitus when on the gabapentin...my tinnitus/hyperacusis did get worse this week since I lowered my dose of Cymbalta from 60 - 30 mg....I went back up at lunch today to the 60 mg of Cymbalta due to the withdrawals...think I should try a gabapentin just even though I had tinnitus on gabapentin too?

If it was no help then there is no point.  I did a lot of dosing experiments and I learned much. I learned this is all temporary.  I do wish I had tapered much slow at key points like 1.5mg A as that's when it had the most effect.  I should have held longer and waited for some more healing.  I'd think about redoing the speed of the Cymbalta taper if that's the one causing problems. Sometimes slow means REALLY slow!!!

anyone ever try a homeopathic tablet called ring relief?  I found it at walgreens?

They should call it MONEY RELIEF as buying it will relief you of $18.00 really fast.

Tinnitus patients are well known for their PAY ANY PRICE for relief mentalities, don't be a victim in the tinnitus game.  Tinnitus maskers are about the only money I spent that was well worth while for the relief they brought.  If you have relief in the shower there are plenty of devices that can mimic that amount of noise in a set of headphones.  White noise is great!

Save your money on books and off the shelf meds. 

Tinnitus is a result of over rapid tapering.  If you have painful tinnitus you probably tapered too fast.  It's my default rule now while small manageable amount of tinnitus is workable for many people.

this is pretty interesting.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/04/110418152322.htm

The scientists then sought to determine what had gone wrong in the balance of excitation and inhibition of the auditory circuits in the affected mice. They established that an imaging technique called flavoprotein autofluorescence (FA) could be used to reveal tinnitus-related hyperactivity in slices of the brain. Experiments were performed in the dorsal cochlear nucleus (DCN), a specialized auditory brain center that is crucial in the triggering of tinnitus. FA imaging showed that the tinnitus group had, as expected, a greater response than the control group to electrical stimulation. Most importantly, despite local stimulation, DCN responses spread farther in the affected mice.

Dr. Tzounopoulos' new experimental approach has resolved why tinnitus-affected auditory centers show increased responsiveness. After administering a variety of agents that block specific excitatory and inhibitory receptors and seeing how the brain center responded, his team determined that blocking an inhibitory pathway that produces GABA, an inhibitory neurotransmitter, enhanced the response in the region surrounding the DCN in the control brain slices more so than it did in the tinnitus slices.

"That means the DCN circuits are already 'disinhibited,' or blocked, in tinnitus," Dr. Tzounopoulos explained. "We couldn't block inhibition anymore to elevate the evoked response, like we could in the normal brain. And, when we blocked another inhibitory circuit mediated by the neurotransmitter glycine, or when we blocked excitatory pathways, there was no difference in the responses between the groups."

Then this,

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15379343

showed significant superior temporal cortex assymetry and insignificant (but detectable, I guess) benzo receptor density differences in tinnitus subjects on SPECT imaging. It sounds like the Dr. Tzounopoulos from the first study is interested in looking for pharmacological agents which would unblock these inhibitory circuits. Obviously benzos themselves must be capable of doing this, but that's using a big hammer for a small problem.

If there was a benzo analog that someone only affected the DCN and not every other GABA receptor in the nervous system, I would probably be willing to take it. But, this issue is what drove me back onto benzos in 2008, and I currently feel that long-term, systemic use of benzos will give me worse problems than the ringing down the road.

this is pretty interesting.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/04/110418152322.htm

The scientists then sought to determine what had gone wrong in the balance of excitation and inhibition of the auditory circuits in the affected mice. They established that an imaging technique called flavoprotein autofluorescence (FA) could be used to reveal tinnitus-related hyperactivity in slices of the brain. Experiments were performed in the dorsal cochlear nucleus (DCN), a specialized auditory brain center that is crucial in the triggering of tinnitus. FA imaging showed that the tinnitus group had, as expected, a greater response than the control group to electrical stimulation. Most importantly, despite local stimulation, DCN responses spread farther in the affected mice.

Dr. Tzounopoulos' new experimental approach has resolved why tinnitus-affected auditory centers show increased responsiveness. After administering a variety of agents that block specific excitatory and inhibitory receptors and seeing how the brain center responded, his team determined that blocking an inhibitory pathway that produces GABA, an inhibitory neurotransmitter, enhanced the response in the region surrounding the DCN in the control brain slices more so than it did in the tinnitus slices.

"That means the DCN circuits are already 'disinhibited,' or blocked, in tinnitus," Dr. Tzounopoulos explained. "We couldn't block inhibition anymore to elevate the evoked response, like we could in the normal brain. And, when we blocked another inhibitory circuit mediated by the neurotransmitter glycine, or when we blocked excitatory pathways, there was no difference in the responses between the groups."

Then this,

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15379343

showed significant superior temporal cortex assymetry and insignificant (but detectable, I guess) benzo receptor density differences in tinnitus subjects on SPECT imaging. It sounds like the Dr. Tzounopoulos from the first study is interested in looking for pharmacological agents which would unblock these inhibitory circuits. Obviously benzos themselves must be capable of doing this, but that's using a big hammer for a small problem.

If there was a benzo analog that someone only affected the DCN and not every other GABA receptor in the nervous system, I would probably be willing to take it. But, this issue is what drove me back onto benzos in 2008, and I currently feel that long-term, systemic use of benzos will give me worse problems than the ringing down the road.

in the superior temporal cortex?  the superior temporal cortex?  Really?  That's interesting.  That's a game changer. Benzo free cerebellums have less to do with it than we think.  Hmmm, where to go from here, any ideas.

ref http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modafinil

Modafinil's substantial, but incomplete, independence from both monoaminergic systems and those of the orexin peptides has proven difficult to explain, in contrast to the better-understood mechanisms of stimulants such as cocaine or substituted amphetamines. Alternative mechanisms of action that have been proposed include the activation of glutamatergic circuits while inhibiting GABAergic neurotransmission.[21][116] Enhanced electrotonic coupling by enhancing the effectiveness of direct gap junctions between neurons has also been suggested by several studies.

VIDEO http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAKS0aVhGto

Hey Hey! Just stopping in to wish our creator........of this thread a happy 4th of July and anybody else that celebrates it. 8) Stay safe and use sparklers only close adult supervision. 8)

Snowy >:D

Hey Hey! Just stopping in to wish our creator........of this thread a happy 4th of July and anybody else that celebrates it. 8) Stay safe and use sparklers only close adult supervision. 8)

Thanks snowy,  Are you playing with matches again today  :nono:

:laugh:  Have a great 4th snowy  :smitten:

FIRE IN THE HOLE  :thumbsup:

http://i.imgur.com/QmW5LId.gif

Thanks snowy,  Are you playing with matches again today  :nono:

:laugh:  Have a great 4th snowy  :smitten:

FIRE IN THE HOLE  :thumbsup:

http://i.imgur.com/QmW5LId.gif

Na, don't worry Birdie. ::) I use a blow torch to light my fireworks.  8)

Thanks for the beautiful fireworks display!

Happy 4th of July!